InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 159

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi


Chapter 158


While Asami helped Toshiro and Daiki find their breakfast, at the birthing house, things had been busy as well. Sayo, her ordeal over, was now dressed in a fresh kosode, bright red for good luck, and was laying down on her pallet, a coverlet in blue and white pulled up to her waist. She looked about the room with a contented smile, like one gets after a job well done, until she spotted Nanami moving the bench towards her. Sayo had used the wooden seat to deliver her daughter, but Nanami was about to put it to its second use as she set it down near the head of the bed.

“You need to sit up, Sayo-chan,” she said, motioning for Kagome and Matsu to help. “I know you don’t like this as a back rest, but I’ll be sure to pad it with some extra blankets.”

Sayo made a face, but didn’t fuss as the two women moved into position. “You can hold on to me, Sayo-chan,” Kagome said, wrapping her arm under the woman’s shoulders as the two lifted her up.

“Be careful what you’re offering,” Matsu teased, as she wrapped herself around the new mother from the other side. Together, they began to lift. “Sayo-sama is known to hold on tight.”

Nanami laughed as she slipped the stool in place. “Children, cats, chickens, and women...She’ll want you, too.”

“Oh, I will,” Sayo said. “Don’t think you’re getting away from me, just because the baby’s born.” Kagome smiled as she helped the woman lean forward a bit. “You’ve been a good helper, little Miko-san. I’m glad I didn’t scare you away. ” Sayo turned to face Kaede who was sitting on another stool, next to a tub of warm water. The look the woman gave the old miko was not quite as happy as the one she gave to the younger one. “Why do you always do this to me, Kaede-obasan?” She sucked on her bottom lip a bit as the two women adjusted her position so Nanami could begin padding the back rest. “I really would rather lie down for a while.”

“Lying down isn’t what you need right now. Sitting up is good for you, and you know it,” Kaede said, looking up at the woman. “It helps your blood flow the way it needs to, and you’ll get over the birthing faster.” Her face was calm and not bothered by the pout Sayo was giving her, and instead, she turned her attention back to what she was doing. “You should be glad I don’t ask you to spend the next month sitting up, waking or sleeping, like some midwives do. Just today. Anyway, it’ll make it easier for you to hold your daughter.”

“If you ever finish bathing her,” Sayo said. For some reason, this made Matsu giggle, until Sayo gave her a look and she settled down.

“All in good time,” the old miko said. She was holding the newborn carefully as she bathed the little girl in the tub, the child’s head pointed towards her lap.

“Almost done, Nanami?” Sayo asked. She pulled free from the two women and rotated her shoulders.

“One more,” the older woman said, spreading out a blue and white cloth. “Then you can lean back and tell me if that’s enough.”

“I do believe we made it before sunrise.” Sayo leaned forward a bit as Nanami smoothed the cloth.

“Yes you did,” Nanami said. “The sun’s just starting to come up. Lean back now. How’s that?”

Sayo leaned back and sighed as the backrest took her weight. “It’ll do.” She pulled her coverlet a bit higher.

“We know better than to bet against you, Sayo-sama,” Matsu said, heading back to the fire pit. “If you say before sunrise, we know it’ll happen. Are you ready for some soup?”

Sayo nodded. “I think so. We can save the carp until after I’ve rested a bit. I don’t think I’m ready to eat fish.”

“Carp?” Kagome asked.

“Oh yes, carp and miso soup are the best foods for after a birth,” Kaede said. “It helps a woman build her strength back.”

“That’s what they say, anyway,” Sayo said. “But I never want much after I have a child. And besides, Yasuo must be driving everybody crazy, wanting to come see his daughter. There’s no use keeping him waiting any longer than necessary. The sooner that’s over, the sooner I can rest.”

“I’m sure you’re right,” Nanami said, smoothing the younger woman’s coverlet. “You’ll be able to get a good sleep soon. Just don’t let him tire you out when we let him in.”

Sayo smiled up at the older woman. “I promise. But I’m sure you’ll figure out something to get him to do if I start to.”

Nanami chuckled. “I’ve had a lot of practice at that, ever since he was a young boy. Daiki comes by his ways quite naturally. He’s very much like his otousan.”

“I believe that,” Sayo said. “I hope my new little one is more like her sister. I’m going to have enough trouble with both Ishi and Daiki, without their sister joining them in the fun and games.”

Kaede chuckled as she dipped her hand into the warm water. “You do have a lively bunch, Sayo-chan. Maybe having a younger sister to keep an eye on will help keep your boys busy.”

“One can hope,” Nanami said.

The little girl evidently found the water pleasant, because once she felt the water, she had stopped crying while Kaede washed her clean.  

Kagome, no longer needing to support Sayo, watched how the older miko was working from where she knelt next to the bed. Sayo noticed her fascination, and smiled.“So, Kagome-chan, what do you think about all of this?” she asked as Matsu walked over and gave her a bowl of soup. She took a sip, nodding her head, and Matsu retreated back to the fire pit.

As Sayo drank her soup, Kagome thought for a moment. “I’m not exactly sure how to say it,” the young miko said. “I’d never seen a baby born before. It was amazing, but...I knew it took a lot of effort, but knowing about it and seeing it are two different things.”

“Now that’s a true statement,” Nanami said, as she moved to the far end of the room, gathering up the linen they used in the birthing away in a basket to be washed a little later. “Wait until you experience it yourself. It’ll give you an even different view.”

Kagome colored at the thought, but nodded. “I bet. But at least I’ll know something about what to expect before the first time.”

“That is always a good thing,” Kaede said, nodding. “Fear of the unknown makes things harder. I always prefer that women have at least assisted at a birth before they have their first. Young women who don’t know what they will go through have harder times.” Having finished bathing the newborn, she carefully dried off the child and wrapped her in a warm, soft cloth. “Come here, Kagome-chan,” she said. “You can carry Sayo’s baby to her.”

“Me?” the young miko said, surprised. “But...but she’s so little...Are you sure?”

“Go ahead, Kagome-chan,” Sayo said, smiling at her hesitation. “It’s good luck for a new wife.”

“That is, if you want children,” Nanami said. “If you don’t, maybe Matsu should do it.”

“Oh, I do - it’s just...I...” Kagome said, blushing a bit more, but gave a nod and stood up. She walked over to where the older miko sat by the tub, and let Kaede put the newborn in her arms.

“Be careful of her head and neck,” Kaede advised. “It’ll be a while before she’ll be able to support her own head and there’s a soft spot on all babies’ skulls.”

Kagome nodded, and looked down at the little girl in her arms. Her skin was a little redder than older babies, and her face looked a little odd to the young woman. “Do all babies look like this when they’re just born?” she asked.

“Most of them,” Kaede said. “She’s healthy and looks like a fine strong little girl.”

The baby’s hands were closed in fists, and her eyes were closed as Kagome examined her. “I think she looks a lot like you, Sayo-chan.”

“Better than looking like her father,” Nanami said, twisting the corners of her mouth into a teasing smirk.

Sayo laughed. “Shame on you. You know Yasuo’s a good looking man.”

Kagome, caught up in the baby, ignored their banter. “Oh, she has a lot of hair,” she said, brushing the fine black strands with a delicate touch. “I didn’t know babies were born with so much hair.”

“Most babies are born with hair,” Kaede said, rather amused at Kagome’s reactions. “Some more, some less.”

“All of my babies were born with a good head of hair,” Sayo said, smiling at the look in Kagome’s face. “Daiki lost his right away, but Umi, fortunate child, never lost much.”

As the miko touched, the baby opened her eyes, and looked up at Kagome solemnly for a moment, before raising her fists in a jerky motion. “Do you want your mama, little one?” the miko asked in a soft voice. For a moment, the baby squinched up a face, like she was going to cry, but Kagome rocked her gently, and the baby didn’t.

“I see you have a good way with babies,” Nanami said, approvingly, as Kagome crossed the room with her small bundle, and knelt down next to Sayo to hand her the child. “A good talent to have.”

“I’ve always liked children,” Kagome said. “That’s one reason we took in Shippo-chan. He was orphaned, and I just couldn’t leave him behind.”

“The little kitsune boy? And he can be a handful. I’ve seen how he gets,” Nanami said,  finishing her tidying up and moving back to her place next to Sayo. “You have a kind heart, to take a child like that on, and the children like you as well. It’s a good thing.” She sighed. “I’ve seen a few women who couldn’t stand their babies, even after they started sleeping regular hours.”

“Let’s not talk about that now,” Sayo said, glancing away from her baby for a moment to give the older woman a warning look. “I know who you mean, but I don’t want anything unpleasant to think about right now.”

“A good idea,” Kaede said, nodding. She began packing up her basket of supplies. “We’ve had enough of her yesterday. And now is the time for you and your little one to relax. There’ll be enough time to think about things like that later. ”

It dawned on Kagome who they were talking about, and she chewed on her lip, trying to think of what to say next. Instead of speaking, she watched Sayo nestle the baby in her arms. “Do you know what she’s going to be called yet?”

“Ah, we’ve been talking about that,” Sayo said. “Yasuo has been thinking about naming her after Toshiro’s mother if it was a girl, but we won’t call her that until the naming day. We wouldn’t want to bring bad luck, you know.”

“A good name,” Kaede said. “I remember her. A very pleasant and kind woman.”

“She was, indeed,” Nanami said. “I hope her spirit touches this child with the same good graces.”

“With two older boys to boss her around, she might need them” Sayo said, repeating the motion of brushing the baby’s hair that Kagome had done earlier, but this time, the little girl merely snuggled closer to her mother.

Kagome nodded her head. As she watched, the baby relaxed, listening to Sayo’s heartbeat and fell asleep.

Sayo, seeing her baby sleeping, yawned herself. “Matsu, go tell Yasuo to come. If he doesn’t get here soon, he’ll have to wait until I wake up myself.”

Matsu nodded and headed out of the door. In less time than it would have taken her to get to the main house, the doormat lifted, and Yasuo stepped in.

Sayo looked at her husband fondly, and not surprised at all. “You just couldn’t wait, could you? Were you standing right outside?”

He gave her a sheepish look. “Not exactly. I saw the door mat lift and came running. What?” he said. “You expect me to miss seeing two beautiful women?”

The new mother laughed, and patted the floor next to her, inviting him to come sit down.

As Sayo showed her husband their new charge, Kaede turned to Kagome, and stifled a yawn. “And that, I think, is our cue to go, child. I bet Yasuo wasn’t the only one waiting impatiently.”

Kagome stood up. “You’re probably right.”

As she moved across the room to join the elderly miko, Kaede caught Nanami’s eye. “You know where to find me if you need me,” she said standing up, and picking up her supply basket. “Take care, Sayo-chan. I’ll come by later to see how you’re doing.”

Sayo nodded, and with a final goodbye, the two miko stepped out of the little house.