InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 165

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

Chapter 164

A contented Yasuo stepped out of the small house where his wife and new infant were resting after their ordeal, his face graced with a very pleased smile.  

“Tell Tameo to go on and take care of his business,” Hisa said, stepping out with him. “I know he’s got a lot to do today. I want to sit here with your wife for a while. I think Nanami needs to get some rest. At least Matsu’s been smart enough to fall asleep.”

“I’m sure,” the new father said. “I know I could use some. But my obasan is a stubborn one.”

Hisa chuckled. “She’s more likely to relax if there’s someone she can trust around. I’ll stay here until she gets some sleep.”

Yasuo nodded. “I’ll tell your husband that. Be sure to send to the main house if you need anything.  Somebody or the other will be awake. I’m not so sure about me.”

The headman’s wife smiled. “Get some rest while you can. You remember how little ones are.”

“Indeed,” he said, “although I doubt if any of them could be as bad as Daiki-kun was. Good luck at getting Nanami to rest.” And with a final goodby, he headed toward the house.

Yasuo’s contented mood began to slip as he neared the house and saw his cousin kneeling on the ground and his father standing next to him. His smile began to fade as the smell of what was happening reached him, and faded completely as his miserable cousin bent over once again.  Sighing, he went over to the two men.

“I hope this isn’t an omen,” he said, joining his father.

Toshiro who was bent over, patting Michio on the back, looked up. Ah, son. I doubt it. Hisa-chan chase you out?”  

“Maybe. Sort of. Anyway, Sayo fell asleep, and she’s going to try to get Nanami-obasan to finally rest.” Yasuo looked at the man kneeling on the grass. “I knew she wouldn’t long as I was there. He’s got it bad, eh?” He nudged his cousin with his foot. “Thought he might once he woke up.”

“Just let me die.” Michio wrapped his arms around his middle. “It’s all I deserve.”

“Pretty much so,” the older man said, ignoring his younger cousin. “All is well, I take it?”

“Better than well,” Yasuo said, regaining his smile for a moment. “You need to go see her soon. A beautiful new granddaughter for you, Otousan.”

“I’ll go soon as Nanami tells me it’s all right,” Toshiro said, smiling at his son. He patted him on the back. “There’s no way I’m going to go there and maybe wake her up. You’re not the only one who’s been on the receiving end of her tongue. Still, a new girl in this house will be nice. We have enough boys for a while.”  

Michio moaned, and acted like he was going to retch again, but only coughed. Toshiro looked down at the man, and shook his head. “Shame it’s not all such good news. So,” he said, glancing back at his son, “what do we do with this problem?”

“I’m not a problem,” Michio said. He was kneeling with both hands on the ground, but lifted one to wipe his mouth on his sleeve. The current spasm done, he rocked back to sit up on his knees. “I...I have to go see Tameo,” he managed to say, then spit. “My mouth tastes like dung.” Wiping his face again, he looked up at Toshiro. “No, it tastes worse than dung. Damn. I...I...” He attempted to stand up, and got halfway there, before collapsing back on his knees. “Everything’s so damn woozy.”

“I’m not surprised,” Yasuo said, shaking his head. “I tried to get you to eat last night.”

“I know, I know,” the hung-over man said. “But it would have just come up anyway.” He shook his head from side to side, wrapping his arms around his head. “Just kill me now. How am I going to face Chiya like this? What’s Tameo-sama going to say?”

There was a cough to the right of them, and the father and son looked up in time to see the headman, followed by Miroku, heading their way.

“I believe Tameo is going to say be glad Daitaro isn’t here to call you names,” Tameo said, joining the other men. “You’re a mess, Michio.”

“Too much sake is a bad friend in the morning,” Miroku said, giving the man a sympathetic look. “I know too well what it can be like.”

Yasuo snickered. “I could hear Daitaro-ojisan now. Oh, what a lightweight,” he said, imitating the old farmer. “Look at him. Can’t hold his sake. Glad I didn’t waste any of my good stuff on him.”

Toshiro and Tameo laughed, and even Miroku snickered, but Michio made a lunge at his cousin, missing, and collapsing on the grass.  

“Don’t do that,” he grumbled, pushing himself back up, and glared at his cousin. “Aren’t things bad enough without mocking me? My life’s falling apart, and you do this?”

“Sorry, cousin,” Yasuo said. “I’ve been on the butt side of Daitaro teasing me more than once. Never drink too much around him.” He helped Michio get to his feet.  

This time Michio managed to stand, although he swayed back and forth. He closed his eyes, as if that would help the world to stop spinning, and took a deep breath. “Did...did you go see Chiya yet this morning?”

Tameo shook his head. “No, not yet. There are some things we need to get done first. If you want to be there, you still have time to get cleaned up. Houshi-sama here is going out there to bless the old house before we even try.”  

“She doesn’t have a demon,” Michio said. “It’s all her own spirit. What good will that do?”

“It might quiet her soul,” Miroku said, leaning on his staff. “And more importantly, it will protect her from any youkai or ghost or demon trying to take advantage of her while she’s...she’s in this state.”

Michio peered through his fingers at the monk, surprised. “You’d do this? After what she’s been doing to your friend and family?”

“The Buddha himself said to offer good when there is evil,” Miroku intoned, slipping into his priestly mode. “Her karma’s going to give her a rough enough time without me adding anything.”

Shaking his head, Michio tried to think of something to say. He sighed. “My poor, stupid woman.”

“So,” Tameo said, “let’s focus on things we can do. Miroku can bless the house.” He looked at the hung-over man and wrinkled his nose. “If you want to be there when we explain to her what we have planned, I suggest you take a bath and put on some clean clothes first, man. You don’t smell very good, and you look like you’ve been beaten up.”

“Only with a sake jug,” Yasuo said.

Michio took a step and stumbled, bumping into Yasuo, who wrapped his arms around his cousin to steady him. “Don’t know if I can make it home yet.”

A dog ran out of the front door, with Daiki chasing him. Behind him, his sister Umi followed in hot pursuit.  

“Get back here, Daiki-chan,” she yelled. “Chichi-ue will lock you up when he hears how you woke up Ishi with your games.”

“You’ll have to catch me first!” the boy replied, and headed towards the river.

Neither Toshiro nor Yasuo gave the two children more than a passing glance.

“Looks like your household is waking up, Toshiro,” Tameo noted, giving his friend a sympathetic look.

“Does this happen often?” Miroku asked, looking at the two men.

Asami, wiping her hands ran out on the verandah. “Daiki! Umi!”

“They’re halfway to the river by now,” Yasuo said. “Come here, Asami-chan.”

The girl peeked around the edge of the building and saw the group of men. Swallowing hard, she bowed low, then began walking to them. “I’m sorry, Toshiro-sama.  I was washing - ”

“I’m sure, I’m sure, girl,” Toshiro said, interrupting. “We’ve heard it all before. I’m not blaming you. I know how my grandchildren behave.” He turned to Miroku. “You ask if this happens often? It does, especially when Sayo-chan is indisposed,” he said. “I....well, we just expect it anymore.”

Yasuo chuckled. “This is why they say we have a lively household.”

Miroku raised an eyebrow. “Interesting. He’s a lively boy, that Daiki.”

“Indeed,” Tameo said. “Not quite as wild as Susumu was at that age, but he’s working on it.”

“You too?” the monk asked. He shifted his staff, which made the brass rings on it jingle.

“Oh yes,” Toshiro said, nudging the headman with his elbow. “Remember the time when Daitaro caught - ”

Tameo coughed, and Miroku looked at him expectantly, but he waved both men off. “We’ll tell that story another time, Houshi-sama. Let’s take care of business here, first.” He looked at Michio. “So man, do you think you can make it when we go to get Chiya-chan?”

Michio closed his eyes tightly, gave his head a small shake and took a deep breath. “It’s my duty.”

“Good man,” Tameo said, approvingly and tapped him on the back.

“If you don’t want to go home yet, you can clean up here,” Yasuo said. “I’ll have Asami heat up some water for you.”

“There’s some water on the fire already,” Asami said, bowing once again.

“Good girl,” Yasuo said. “Go make some rice gruel. And put some miso in it.  That’s the best hangover meal I know.”

“You’re a good man, cousin,” Michio said. “Even if you did try to mock me earlier. May your new daughter never give you the pain my wife has.”

“As good a blessing as any that I’ll get today,” Yasuo said. “Ready to walk? Lean on me, and we’ll get you inside. Wash up, eat something, and you’ll feel a lot better.”

“If you say so,” Michio said. His tone was doubtful, but with Yasuo on one side and Asami on the other he managed his way into the house.

“I think,” Miroku said, “it’s going to be an odd day.”

“I think,” Toshiro said, “we’re already there. Maybe, Houshi-sama, you should pray the sutras over my house as well as Tsuneo’s.”

The monk closed his eyes a moment. “There is no trace of evil aura on your home at all, Toshiro-sama. Your home actually feels quite blessed.”

“It has been,” the elder said, “but as crazy as this morning has been, it wouldn’t hurt.”

Miroku nodded. “I’ll be sure to come by later today and say a prayer for your household and your new grandchild.”

“You better,” Tameo said. “My friend here looks like hell. It must have been a rough night, eh?”

“No sleep, a birthing woman, and then a drunk relative, a nervous son, and InuYasha-sama parked on my verandah all night.” Toshiro began moving towards the house. “You try that, and see where it gets you.” The elder yawned. “InuYasha, though, was surprisingly good company. Much better than Michio.”

“He can be that, rumor to the contrary,” Miroku said. “And, if he’s not too grumpy, he listens more than talks. Always an advantage in company, if you ask me.”

“Much better than drunk singers,” Toshiro said, nodding. “But I’m feeling every minute right now. Maybe some time soon I’ll get to get some sleep myself. But somehow, I don’t think it’ll be quite yet.”

“At least you don’t have to go drag Chiya out to a place we know she’s going to complain about or deal with that crazy man,” Tameo said. “Take a nap. We might need you later, friend.”

Toshiro patted the headman on the shoulder. “That’s why you’re the headman, and I’m just one of the elders. Send for me if you need me, but try not to.” With a farewell bow, Toshiro walked himself back to the front door. “And good luck.”

With that, he disappeared inside.