InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Ever After ❯ Chapter 268

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi


Chapter 267


While the wedding crowd moved into Daitaro’s house, Fumio the blacksmith guided another group of people towards the hill on the east side of town. Instead of walking the usual way up, past the home where the wedding was taking place, he chose the back way, a route which took them past the village shrine and would lead them to Miroku’s temple and home.

They had paused for a moment at the shrine, saying a brief prayer, but then Koume, Fumio’s wife, rested her hands on the shoulders of Sukeo and Nakao.  

“Come on, boys,” she said. “I am sure the kami heard our prayers. Now it’s time to go visit your okaasan.”

The group filed off quietly, both boys caught up in their personal sorrows.

Twice Fumio started to say something as they walked, but hesitated. He scratched his head, and decided on words to break the quiet. “So, Nahoi-chan got you to eat something?” Fumio asked Nakao. “It’s not good to go too long without eating.”

His voice sounded oddly out of place in this stretch of the path, a tree-lined stretch of road that rose up at a gentle pace that would take them to the temple. It sounded loud, and although spoken in a friendly tone, almost harsh.

The boy looked up, surprised at the sound, then nodded his head, not meeting the smith’s eyes, almost as if he felt embarrassed by having given in and eaten. His face was still quite bruised; the dark patches and the evening shadow made him look even more withdrawn.

“She’s good at that type of thing,” Koume said, gently. Her voice was softer than her husband’s as if she too found the sound of speech a bit jarring.“And it’s a good thing. The medicine Kaede gave you can be hard on an empty tummy.”

“I guess,” the boy said. He rubbed his hand across his stomach at her words as if it were already bothering him.

Koume sighed at how withdrawn the boy was behaving. “I know it’s been a hard day, son, but your mother’s safe, and now it’s time for you to get better. Does your head still hurt?”

He shook his head no, but even as he did it, he winced.

“Don’t be a baka,” Sukeo said, giving his brother a little nudge on the shoulder. “If you hurt, you need to tell someone. How are you going to help Haha-ue if you’re hurting too much to do anything?”

Fumio rested a hand on the older boy’s shoulder. “He’s just trying to be strong, son. Like his older brother.” The smith looked at Nakao. “Isn’t that right?”

“I...I don’t want to be a baby. I can handle it,” Nakao said. He looked up at his brother, irritated by Sukeo's reaction. “What’s a little headache? I’m not a baby anymore.”

“No, you’re not,” Koume said, giving the boy a gentle smile. “But I’m sure your brother is just concerned. It’s been...well, I’ve said that already. But on days like today, sometimes, it’s easy to be too worried to be as nice as we need to be. Kaede-sama will still be at Houshi-sama’s. If your head really starts to hurt, you should tell her. Your brother is right. It won’t be...helpful...if you hurt too badly. Seeing you in pain may make your okaasan feel worse.”

Nakao’s eyes widened at that. “I...I didn’t think...”

“Our job on this visit is to bring your mother some comfort,” Fumio said. “I’m sure I can count on both of you two to try your best to make her feel as good as possible. She’ll need you to help her feel more...hopeful.  Right?”

Sukeo looked at his brother, then up at Fumio, who looked at him expectantly. He took a long breath, and nodded. “It’s hard. Today...I...I will try to do my best.”

“Good boy,” Fumio said.

They passed the little temple, and all took a moment to bow respectfully, even Nakao, who found the motion uncomfortable.

“Do...do you think Miko-sama has some medicine that won’t make me sleepy?” Nakao asked.

“I don’t know,” Koume said. “But we can ask.”

As they made the last turn that would lead to Miroku’s house, they heard a loud swooshing sound. They weren’t the only ones surprised. A flock of birds flushed out of one of the trees nearby as the sound made its track, rushing away with irritated squawking.

“What was that?” Fumio asked. “That’s an odd sound.”

“I told you so. I knew you couldn’t have forgotten,” a man’s voice said, just beyond the trees. It sounded like Miroku’s voice. It was followed by the sounds of small children making noises of appreciation.

As they stepped into the clearing that surrounded the monk’s house, they spotted a rather pleased-looking Sango standing in the area not too close to the house, and well away from the family garden. In the twilight, she was holding a large bone boomerang. Miroku, holding his daughters, looked even more pleased than his wife.

“I guess some things you just don’t forget,” Sango said. She gave the strange weapon a fond caress.  

“Indeed, my lovely Sango,” the monk said, trying to keep a squirming Noriko in his arms. Giving up, he let her down, and her sister quickly followed. As he watched them gather around their mother, he gave her a smile, but his eyes were serious. “I feel better knowing you have Hiraikotsu at hand. I’m not expecting any trouble, not really, but...”

“But it never hurts to be prepared,” the smith said, walking up to the little family.  

Miroku turned towards the group walking his way. “Ah, Fumio-sama. You’ve brought the boys. I’m glad. Their okaasan has been asking for them. And yes, I believe you are correct.”

Nakao walked up to Sango. “What is that?” he asked, lifting a hand up, and reaching out just a little, but not feeling daring enough to touch the boomerang. “It’s so big.”

“It’s called Hiraikotsu,” Sango replied. “My father gave it to me when I was just a little older than you. It’s a weapon to fight youkai with.”

“You fight youkai?” the boy asked, honestly surprised.

“You don’t remember?” Sukeo said, his tone once again a bit sharp. “She helped fight that big youkai that sent those shouki bombs all over the village.”

Nakao shook his head. “I thought it was just InuYasha-sama.”

“Oh no, son,” Fumio said. “Sango-sama and Houshi-sama both helped defeat the monster.  And Kagome-sama as well.”

“I just remember hiding,” Nakao said. “I was afraid the monster would eat us.”

“A wise boy,” Miroku replied, patting Nakao on the shoulder. “Hiding was probably a good thing. Are you ready to see your okaasan? I think she’s been hoping you would come back.”

Nakao nodded.

“Well, let’s go then,” Sango said. “Besides, I need to get the girls in before it’s too dark.”
Draping her boomerang over her back like old times, she reached for Yusuko, who was playing with an interesting rock.

“At least this awful day is nearly over,” Koume said.

“But we’re going to have another interesting day tomorrow, I suspect,” Miroku said, grabbing Noriko.

Fumio nodded. “I suspect you’re right.”

“What...what is going to happen tomorrow?” Sukeo asked.

“The elders...will try to make sense of today,” Koume replied.

The young man’s face grew pale.  “It’s...it’s not going to go well for my otousan, is it?”

“We’ll have to wait and see,” the monk replied. “We’ll have to wait and see.”

 

While Sukeo let the reality of what the next day might mean for his father sink in, at Daitaro’s house, thoughts were far away from what might or might not happen to Seiji.   

Daitaro stood up at his place before the assembled group, who were just getting well settled. “Well cousins, we have finally managed to make it here to this special day. I was beginning to wonder if Shinjiro would make it here in one piece -”

“He didn’t dare not,” Genjo interrupted. “Haha-ue would have hunted him down and made him eat all the food she cooked if he didn’t. At one sitting, too. Even if he were a ghost.”

There was a ripple of laughter across the room, but Chime, who was readying the sake cups, merely shook her head fondly.

The old farmer snorted. “As I was saying, if he would make it here in one piece or run away screaming because his younger brother was enjoying teasing him too much.”

“Maybe she would have made you eat all the food, instead,” Mariko said, nudging her husband. “Even you couldn’t handle that much. You would have burst.”  

Genjo rubbed his stomach and smiled. “But what a way to go!”

“Maybe I should have,” Shinjiro said, smiling at his brother. “But I’d would have wanted to watch, so that wouldn’t work out very well. You are saved, little brother.”

Daitaro coughed into his hand. “But nonetheless, the day is finally here. Erime-chan, welcome to our family.”

The old farmer sat down.

Tameo stood up next. “When Daitaro came and talked to me about what he and Takeshi had cooked up for these to people, I admit I was surprised. I think it hadn’t donned on me how that little Erime-chan, who would come to our house with the other girls for sewing lessons and sometimes beg me for sweets had grown into a woman. When did that happen?”

“They have a habit of doing that,” Takeshi said. “I tried putting weights on my girls’ heads to keep them young, but it didn’t work.” He looked at Erime, and smiled. She blushed prettily, but her sister laughed. “It won’t be long before your oldest granddaughter will be pulling the same stunt on you.”

“Ssssh,” Hisa said. “I’m not ready to think of that one.”

“But now, here they are,” Tameo continued. “Ready to start their lives together. Shinjiro, once again, we welcome you into the role of husband.”

“For better or worse,” Susumu said. Hisa gave him a look, and he swallowed. “Although, with Erime-chan, I’m sure it’s going to be for the better.”

“There is a song my otousan sang at my wedding,” Tameo continued. “I have sung it at the weddings of my sons. If you’ll put up with an old man whose voice isn’t what it used to be, then as leader of our ko, and priest to the family kami, I would like to sing it to you. And may the kami bring it to be.”

He cleared his throat, and in a much better voice than he would admit he had, began singing.

“Happy is the day
when a man brings home his bride,
then the sun shines on him,
and the gods give him a blessing.

“Happy is the day
when the man first holds his child,
then the sun shines down on him,
and the gods give him a blessing.

“Happy is the day
when the man sees his son wed,
then the sun shines down on him,
and the gods give him a blessing.

“May you walk in the sunshine,
with the gods’ blessing
surrounded by the faces
of your grandchildren to come.”

“Thank you, Tameo-ojisan,” Shinjiro said, nodding his head in appreciation. “Today I do feel blessed.”

“Well you have received the first blessing, Shinjiro,” Chime said, as she looked at the young couple. “And you too, Erime-chan. Myself, I’m looking forward to the second one.”

Once again, Erime blushed.

“Sometime soon for you, too,” Mariko whispered to Kagome. “Then you’ll really begin life as a family.”

Kagome looked down at her hands, and InuYasha’s right ear flicked. He leaned towards the young miko and whispered to his wife. “Are they going to talk to us about children like this until we have one?”

“Probably,” she said.

He raised an eyebrow thoughtfully for a moment, then shook his head. “Feh. They’re all like Miroku.” He reached over and patted Kagome’s hand. “Everybody wants to tease.”

 

A/N accidently deleted chapter 268 so I am putting it here until I get around to reordering things:

I do not own InuYasha or any of the characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

Chapter 268

The sunset was fast sinking below the horizon, casting long shadows in Tameo's courtyard. In the area near the lockup, the little fire Koichi had made was beginning to throw warm highlights on the faces of the two men sitting next to it.

A cat came wandering by and rubbed up against Koichi's leg. He brushed a hand against the animal's back nearly without thinking. Pleased, the cat curled up into a ball and closed her eyes.

"Cat has a good idea," the farm worker said. "I'll be glad when I can curl up in my own bed."

"I'm afraid we have a while to wait," Jun said, looking at his companion. "Tameo-sama wants us to keep watch until they get back."

"Doesn't seem fair. All that food..." Koichi sighed.

"Oh, there'll be some for us when they get back," Jun said, reaching over to the small stack of wood Koichi had brought out for their use. "Knowing Chime-sama, it'll be good. And if they run out, you know Hisa-sama will make it up to us." He grabbed a good-sized piece out of the stack.

"I guess," his companion said. "Still rather be doing other things."

"You and me both." Jun threw the piece of wood on the small fire, and a cascade of sparks flew up. He stared at the fire a few minutes, watching the flames lap it and it start to catch. "So I wonder what they're doing right now?"

Koichi scratched the back of his head, thinking."Oh, if I know Daitaro's bunch, someone, Genjo maybe, is saying something to make Erime-sama blush," he said. "Easy to make a bride blush. Your Riki sure blushed easy when you brought her home."

Jun laughed. "And I remember you didn't miss a chance our first week to tease her. I laughed when she threw that bucket of water on your head."

Taking his very last bite of food, Koichi smiled at the memory. "She's a strong thing, your woman. Puts up with you well enough." Having finished his soup and rice, he leaned back on his elbows. The cat, unpleased by Koichi's change of posture, wacked its tail on the ground three times, then moved into a position where it could sleep undisturbed.

"So what else do you think they'll be doing?" Jun said.

"What else will happen at the wedding?" Koichi reached for the sake bottle, and took a sip. "After Genjo thinks he's embarrassed Erime-chan enough, Daitaro-sama will make a joke about the quality of Tameo's sake and how everybody but him is a lightweight, Kinjiro will pout, but Hisa-sama will probably persuade him to sing something that's clean, and Masayo will probably try to sing something rude. After the women get him to stop, Takeshi-sama will laugh at all of it."

"That sounds about right to me. Especially the part about the sake. Old man Daitaro is mighty proud of his sake. Although," Jun said, grabbing the sake jug they had from Koichi's hand and taking swig for himself. "Tameo-sama's sake isn't half bad, if you ask me." He gave the jug an affectionate pat.

"Ha," Koichi said, obviously amused by his coworker. "That's because you and me and Tameo-sama are the one who make it."

"Has nothing to do with it," Jun replied, putting the jug down. "I know what tastes good."

"I wish I could hear the singing," Koichi said, looking up at the sky. "I want to know if Masayo sings the rabbit song. Everybody knows how his sister reacts"

"He wouldn't dare," Jun replied. He too looked up. Venus was shining very brightly, and a couple of other bright stars, but it was still too light to see most of them. "Wonder if they'll get home before moonrise?"

"Heh," Koichi said. "I bet Shinjiro's wondering if he and Erime-chan can get away before moonrise. Last quarter moon. It'll be midnight before it's up."

"He'd better be careful," Jun replied. "He'll be too drunk by that time if he doesn't watch out. I remember when Genjo got married. Getting sick on your wedding night..." He looked back down and shook his head.

Koichi began humming. Jun picked up the tune and began singing.

"Girl with the flower in your hair,
Be careful to lift your skirts.
Your husband is a mighty man
and he might tell you a thing or two
if you come home with hems
wet with the midnight dew.

"Girl with the flower in your hair,
brush off that grass on your back.
Your husband is a mighty man
and he might tell you a thing or two
if you come home with a back
covered with bits of grass."

"Sing that around Hisa-sama, and you'd get that look she gives people," Koichi said, grabbing the sake jug from his companion. "I don't like that look. Somehow, it makes me feel like a little boy getting caught trying to steal a rice cake from my mama's kitchen."

"You noticed that, have you?" Jun said, laughing. "It works even better on Susumu-sama."

Koichi took a drink from the jug. "And sing it at a wedding, and I bet she'd do more than look at you."

Jun chuckled. "But she's there, and I'm here now."

"She always finds out," an amused voice said.

They turned to see Eiji walking up. He was carrying his club, the sign he was doing his official village guard patrol, but it was tucked into his obi, and instead, his arms were crossed in mock disapproval.

"Checking up on us, are you?" Jun said.

"Someone has to," the village guardsman said. He sat down next to the two farm workers. "Just ask Tameo-sama about Hisa-obasan. He'll tell you. She always finds out. It's like she has some spiritual power about things like that."

"Bah," Jun said, taking back the sake jug and taking another swig. "Rumors, rumors. I know a thing or two about Tameo-sama that she's never found out." He offered the jug to Eiji. "Can't tell you what happened. Old man swore me to secrecy."

Eiji accepted the jug and took a short pull on it. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he grinned. "Oh, I wouldn't be so sure," the village guardsman said. "More likely she just didn't decide to make an issue of it. She's a clever general, choosing her battles wisely."

"You're all a bunch of fools," Seiji croaked from the lockup. "No woman pushes me around like that."

All three men turned their heads to the little building, none pleased by the sound.

"Did you hear a frog?" Eiji asked, looking at his companions, but speaking loud enough for Seiji to hear.

Koichi was far less amused. "You don't know shit," he said. "Shut up."

"I know better than to worry about whether my woman knows if I did something she didn't like," Seiji said. "She wouldn't dare tell me I couldn't." His voice, even though strained, dripped with scorn.

"Fat lot of good it does you," Jun said, spitting.

"I wouldn't talk if I were you," Eiji said. "Our women are safe at home. Where's your woman?" He passed the jug back to Jun. "Our women didn't try to walk into the river, and will be home when we get back. Our women want us to come home. What about you?"

Something, maybe his food platter, flew against the side of the lockup, and it was followed by the sound of breaking pottery.

"I'm not going to clean that up," Jun muttered. "I don't care if he cuts himself and bleeds to death."

"That bitch Maeme," Seiji said. He would have yelled if his voice could have handled it. "She's got something coming to her, pulling a stunt like that. Wait until I get out of here."

"You're going to go through the elders and Houshi-sama to go beat her up some more?" Koichi said. He grabbed the jug from Jun's hand, and took a long deep swallow. "That'll really make her want to come home."

"Shut up," Seiji said. "That damn monk. She's mine. He can't take my woman away from me like that. Once I get out of here..."

"Once you get out of there, you'll be lucky if you get to keep your head," Eiji said, standing up. "Going to go finish my rounds." He looked down at the two farm hands. "Send for me if you need some help keeping him quiet tonight."

Jun nodded.

"No man takes what's mine," Seiji muttered. "Monk's going to find out what that means tomorrow."

"Nobody took anything, you stupid fool," Eiji said. "You threw her away." And with that, he headed out.

At Miroku's house up on the hill, the monk led his wife and the others inside. Sango reverently placed Hiraikotsu next to the stand where she kept her sword, and then threw some pine wood on the fire pit to increase the light in the house. "It's getting dark," she said.

"It is indeed, lovely Sango," the monk said as he let his daughters down. "That back room gets too dark for a visit." Miroku walked over to a storage shelf in the domo. "I'll put the lamp back there for now."

"A good idea," Koume said. "I have heard that troubled people do better when there's a light available."

"Kaede must still be with her," Fumio said. "If she's sleeping..."

"We're awake," a voice called from the back.

"Well then," Fumio said, looking at the boys, "let's go see her." He led his wife and the boys to the sleeping room door.

"Are you ready?" Koume asked in a low voice. "Remember, you're here to make your okaasan feel better. Be soft-voiced, and smile if you can. And don't argue. She'll like that."

Nakao nodded, although it made him wince a little bit. Sukeo rested his hand on his brother's shoulder. "We will do our best," he said, just as softly.

"Good boys," Fumio said, and knocked on the door.

"You can come in, " Kaede said. They could hear the old miko moving as Fumio slid the door open.

As the door slid to the side, the boys peered in. In the dim light, they could see their mother, still wearing Sango's borrowed kosode, sitting up in her bed. Her face revealed nothing, looking emotionlessly at the far wall. As she turned her head slowly to look at the newcomers, for a moment, real feeling flickered in her eyes, a deep sadness almost painful to look at. Nakao made a small, wavering smile in her direction, and her mask snapped back into place, replaced by a smile that was merely made by turning up her lips, with no feeling behind it.

"Nakao-kun," she whispered. "Sukeo-kun. You came back. I..."

The boys looked up at Fumio. "Is... is she fox-possessed?" Sukeo's hand tightened on his brother's shoulder as he asked it. "Chichi-ue used to ask that about her. I never believed him..." His voice was soft, and he was looking at Koume, but it was loud enough for the woman to hear, and she hung her head. "I...I..."

"No, child," Koume said. "Your otousan has said many wrong things. She's merely very sad."

"It's been a very hard day for her." Kaede walked to the entrance, carrying a half-filled soup bowl. "Her soul is tired, more than her body. Come sit down, sons. Spend some time with your okaasan. You two can be the best medicine for her." She looked back at the woman, her usual calm troubled as she looked at her patient. "It should do her some good."

Nakao nodded, and stepped inside. Sukeo chewed on his lip a moment.

"I'll sit with you if you'd prefer, son," Koume said. "I know when Naohi-chan was sad after...it was a hard thing to just be there. Other people can help."

He looked up at her for a moment. "I...I..." He shook his head and squared his shoulders. "No. My okaasan needs me." He stepped across the threshold.

"You're sure this is what she needs?" Miroku said, returning with the lamp.

"As sure as I can be," Kaede said. "In affairs of the soul...being surrounded by love helps."

Miroku nodded. "Let's hope."