InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Kagsha ❯ Questions, Discoveries, and a Challenge ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
"I'm scared."

Inuyasha's keen hearing picked up Kagsha's quiet words. She always put up a tough front. This was the first time he'd seen it crack. In an attempt to prove her safety to Kagsha, Inuyasha drew the Tetsusaiga, transforming it and getting into a stance. Seeing this, the rest of the pack took their places, Sango gripping Hiraikotsu, ready to throw, Miroku placing ofudas close at hand and gripping his staff, and Shippo running to Kagsha and clutching her calf remembering when Kagome would protect him.

Kagsha shuddered. The evil aura was coming closer. Suddenly, a huge ogre youkai appeared. Unlike its more idiotic relatives, this one had a helper, a slimy spider that was whispering instruction to him, perched on his shoulder.

"Where, Kagsha?" Inuyasha asked her, referring to the shards.

After a quick look, Kagsha noticed a glow from the ogre's legs, arms, forehead, and chest. "Take your pick, D...Inuyasha! He's got six. Head, chest, legs, and arms."

Shippo climbed up Kagsha to sit on her shoulder and said, "Inuyasha will go for the head and chest, Sango, the arms, and Miroku, the legs. Watch." He leaned back smugly before overbalancing and squealing. Kagsha quickly caught him and set him upright.

As Shippo predicted, Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha attacked the ogre youkai, finishing it off in a matter of minutes. "Kagsha!" Inuyasha called her over to the ogre's corpse. "The shards." He sheathed Tetsusaiga and began to walk away. Kagsha sighed and walked around, plucking the six shards from the ogre's body before walking towards the waiting Sango and Kilala.

"You guys did great!" Shippo was yelling his praises before the four had reached Miroku and Inuyasha. Kagsha smiled and agreed. Inside, she was fuming. What the fuck's their problem? Do they think that just because I'm young I can't fight? Sure I was scared, but that's the first time I've gone to battle. Whatever. "So, who killed the spider?"

Kagsha's question brought the group to a quick halt. Inuyasha looked at Kagsha questioningly. "What spider?" Kagsha looked surprised before she answered, "The spider sitting on the ogre's shoulder when he got there. It was giving it instructions. Who killed it?"

Everyone began to walk away from Kagsha. She shrugged worriedly and followed. Ten minutes walking distance later, Miroku turned to her and began to question her about the spider.

"Kagsha-really...are you sure you feel alright?"

"I'm fine, Miroku. Why do you ask?...Ah. The spider. I see." All was quiet for a few minutes until Kagsha broke the silence. "Miroku. Answer me honestly...did you sense an overwhelming evil aura from that demon?"

Miroku looked at her strangely, and then muttered. "And here I thought I was feeling things..."

Kagsha looked at him, startled, "Then you felt it too?"

He nodded. "There was something odd about that ogre. It didn't attack at all, just let us kill him. When Inuyasha went for his head, I felt a sudden decrease in evil, but I thought that maybe..." He trailed off.

"You were hoping you were feeling things that weren't there, weren't you?"

Miroku nodded. Kagsha sighed. She looked at the monk. "Can I ask you something?"

He looked slightly surprised, then regained his composure and allowed her free rein in questioning.

"Why aren't you...well, dead?"

"You mean from the Wind Tunnel?" She nodded. "Since your mo..." He looked at Inuyasha then continued, "Kagome...left, Naraku's aura has diminished to the point that made us believe that he was gone. If I hadn't had the Wind Tunnel, we wouldn't know if he still existed. The tunnel stopped growing...but..."

Kagsha looked at him as he stared at his covered right hand. It’s always me...why? Why am I always the catalyst in everything? "I'm sorry, Miroku. The Wind Tunnel is back because...because I'm here."

He looked at her. "What do you mean?"

She sighed and looked at the sky. "Maybe its coincidence, I think it’s a curse, but wherever I show up-whenever I show up, things come to a head. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we had to fight Naraku sometime soon..."

Miroku gave a start and looked at her strangely. "You don't mean that..."

"Mom described Naraku's aura of evil and, well, that was the aura that I felt. That was the level of evil. And, well...Miroku-how wide is your palm?"

He looked at her strangely then answered "About three inches...why do you ask?"

Kasha took a deep breath. "And how wide is the Wind Tunnel?"

Miroku sighed. "Two inches...and it's..."

"Growing progressively bigger, right?"

He nodded then continued, "I don't know what to do, Kagsha...It's spread half an inch in the past week. If this continues..."

"Then you have two weeks to kill Naraku." She finished for him.

A few feet in front of them, Inuyasha flicked his ear forward, away from the painful conversation that took place behind him. He'd known the Wind Tunnel had remained, but... Fucking monk...when was he going to tell us that the Wind Tunnel had spread so far? That he was almost dead? Inuyasha looked at the demon slayer that walked beside him. If he dies, so does she... He sighed.

"Oi, you two back there!" He called loudly to get their attention. "Kagsha, Miroku, anyone sensing something evil?"

Both closed their eyes. When Kagsha opened them, she smiled. All of them looked at her. "Another shard...Due north. It will take two days at least."

Inuyasha smirked at her, "Let's see how fast you are, Kagsha." He took off, that taunt lingering in the air.

She looked at Miroku and Sango and smiled, "Take care of my Brother for me?"

They nodded and she began to run, eager to prove to her father that a melding of youkai and miko blood was almost stronger than that of a normal hanyou.

The two humans looked at their full youkai companions before Miroku asked, "Kilala? Shippo? How far do you think they'll go?"

Shippo snorted and nodded at Kilala who transformed. "Hop on, you guys. I think Inuyasha's figuring it out. He's testing her. We'll probably get to the shard tomorrow at the latest, and even then, we'll probably be late for any fighting..."

Kilala growled her assent, allowed the two humans and the youkai to climb on her back, and took off. She knew she would have a hard time catching up to the two hanyous...