InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Afraid to Love ❯ Scrolls of Change ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

7: Scrolls of Change

"Her scent is gone." Inuyasha said. The group had been searching for Kagome, but Inuyasha could no longer sense her. Shippo sniffed the air around him. He could smell Kagome, so why was Inuyasha lying? Kirara had a knowing look on her face. `I can't say this out loud or Inuyasha will kill me since Kagome's not here to stop him.' Shippo jumped to Sango's shoulder and whispered the truth to her so quietly that even Inuyasha could not hear.

`Why search for the wench anymore? I have Kikyo and the Shikon Jewel now, so I no longer need her. I can finally become a full demon, but I need to get rid of the others and get the jewel from that brat? How?' Inuyasha thought with a growl while nuzzling Kikyo.

Both humans soon heard the information and Inuyasha found two humans and two youkai glaring at him. `It's about the Shikon no Tama. We have to get it away before he takes it for his own selfish needs.' thought Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara. The two humans and the kitsune leapt onto the neko-youkai and they flew away as quickly as possible as Sango threw around a unique powder that she often used as an exterminator. The powder would cover their scents so Inuyasha could not follow them. "Where do we go now?" asked Shippo. "I don't know, Shippo-chan, I don't know.' Miroku replied sadly. "Kirara, follow Kagome's scent." Sango ordered. Kirara growled and looked confused. `Oh, no. The powder…all scents that were there are now gone.'

"Please, Sesshomaru-sama?" Rin pleaded. "No, Rin, you cannot visit her." Defeated, Rin left Sesshomaru's study. The beautiful silence was broken, though, when Jaken hobbled in, scroll in hand. "Lord Sesshomaru, the Lord of the Southern Lands had a messenger bring this to you." Sesshomaru took the scroll and dismissed Jaken.

Lord Sesshomaru of the Western Lands,

Word has it that you have imprisoned a miko in you castle. If I remember correctly, we signed a treaty two years ago against imprisoning mikos. The only charges that can be placed against a miko are the following:

murder, other than in self-defense

assault, other than in self-defense

adultery

theft

sexual assault

If the miko is not being held for any of the charges mentioned above, she must be released immediately.

Lord Wasai of the Southern Lands

How could he have forgotten? "Jaken!" The imp ran in at his call. "Unchain the miko." Jaken nodded. "What will become of her?" "She will become a servant."

"Do you know Sachimaru?" Midoriko asked the boy. The young boy nodded and was handed a scroll. "Please give this to him for me." The boy took the scroll and disappeared. Sachimaru was about to visit a friend when a boy appeared before him. "Mohin, nice to see you!" The boy smiled and silently handed him the scroll before he disappeared.

Sachimaru,

I am sorry that I hurt you. I truly wanted to spend my life with you, but father forbid me to for, for I am a miko. Gisino asked me to marry him and I agreed, but I told him that I still loved you and could never give him my heart. Please forgive me, I never meant to cause you pain. I still love you. You mean everything to me, Sachimaru.

Midoriko

Sachimaru rolled up the scroll. "She never meant to hurt me. She did and still does love me." he whispered. How could he have not known? Her father had always been against their relationship. He should've known better than to doubt her love. He needed to see her. He needed to apologize for his misunderstanding. "Mohin!" he called. The boy was soon before him. "Tell Midoriko to meet me at the Heavenly Garden by nightfall tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

"Oh, wow, things sure have improved." Destiny said sarcastically. "I already told you, I'm sorry!" "Now Sesshomaru is going to die and you better hope he doesn't end up near here, because you are not immortal until Mother Life gives us that ability!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Kagome wore the green servant's kimono that had been laid out for her after her bath. She followed Jaken to the servants' training area. There were three girls in there and they all looked as frightened as Kagome. "Humans! There are rules in this castle that you must obey! If not, you will be cruelly punished, understood?" The girls nodded. "Never speak unless spoken to by the master. You may speak among yourselves, but not in the presence of Lord Sesshomaru. End every reply to him with `Lord Sesshomaru'. You are only allowed two meals a day and they will be served in the servants' quarters unless you are a personal slave. All servants must bathe everyday because you humans reek enough without the cleansing. You must be awake when the sun rises." The servants were then given their jobs. "Wench, you will work in the kitchen. Human, you will be a laundry servant." He came to Kagome. "You will be Lord Sesshomaru's personal servant." Kagome nearly stopped breathing. What did he mean by `personal'? "What does a personal servant do?" Jaken hit her on the head with his staff. "The job has not even begun and you've messed up! Never speak unless spoken to!" "But, aren't you a servant also?" The staff of heads came down again as Kagome fought the urge to beat the imp to a pulp. "You are to follow him around, keep his room tidy, do anything he tells you to, and taste his food to make sure that they are not poisoned."

Jaken sent the two to their duties, but led Kagome to Sesshomaru's chambers. The demon lord was asleep on the huge bed wearing a black kimono. Jaken motioned for her to sit in a chair next to the bed and window. Jaken left and Kagome began to study Sesshomaru. "He looks so angelic and handsome…" she murmured as she bent over to see his face while the moonlight danced upon them.

She reached out to trace his markings when a clawed hand grabbed her wrist and golden eyes shot open. Sesshomaru smirk. He finally sensed a hint of fear in the girl along with her naturally sweet scent. Where did that thought come from? He dug his claws into her wrist. "What are you doing, human? /why are you in my private chambers?" "J-Jaken-s-sama assigned m-me as y-your p-p-personal servant." she stuttered. He released her wrist but growled "Never touch me, wench, unless directed to." He fell back to sleep as Kagome tried to ease the pain in her wrist. `Great, my hip finally heals so that I can get hurt again. What am I thinking? I only have a few more hours until sunrise and I'll need the sleep.' She set the alarm on her watch to about six o' clock and quickly fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~