InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ After the Storm ❯ Goodbye... ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
 
 
Three days later. I decided not to bore you with what happened in those three days.
Kagome is, once again, bedridden. No, she's not dying again, or injured. She sure feels like shit, though…
 
Sango knelt beside an unconscious, sweating, panting Kagome. She lay in her futon, resting uneasily. Clutched tightly in her hand was a glowing Shikon no Tama, which she held closely to her chest. Sango watched her friend in concern, occasionally taking the cloth from Kagome's forehead and re-wetting it for her.
 
Inuyasha sat in a nearby corner, watching Kagome nervously and impatiently, his twitching, restless ears the only sign of his agitation.
 
Miroku, Shippou and Kaede sat in the middle of the room, watching Kagome in eerie silence. The whole hut was tense, silent, and solemn.
 
Kagome tensed suddenly, arching her back and whimpering as a spasm of pain passed through her body. The others half stood, their senses on high alert, but after a second or two she relaxed again, sinking her head back into the pillow and turning it slightly. Inuyasha's ears perked as she murmured his name, too quietly for anyone else to hear her.
 
"How long will this last, Kaede?" asked Shippou, breaking the long-held silence. Everyone looked at her, but she shook her head almost wearily.
 
"I know not," she said. "'Tis hard to say. It depends on the strength of Kagome's spirit, and Midoriko's needs."
 
"Meaning…?"
 
"Meaning it could be anywhere from two more hours to two more days," summed up Miroku. Kaede nodded in confirmation.
 
Inuyasha swallowed. If she stayed like this too much longer…
 
"I just don't understand why Midoriko would need Kagome's powers," continued the kitsune youkai worriedly. "It doesn't make sense."
 
"Midoriko didn't have the strength to win the fight alone, Shippou," said Sango quietly. "That's why she sealed herself and the demon in the jewel in the first place. It would make sense that she sought the help of another miko, if not as strong, then at least close to her strength, or even stronger. But in the case of someone like Kagome, there is no way she would be able to lend her powers to a jewel. Usually, it's the demons within the jewel possessing whoever owns it. But Kagome, being pure of heart, has awakened Midoriko once more. Midoriko then possesses the miko and borrows her strength and energy, ultimately gaining the power she needs to defeat the demon once and for all, purifying the jewel at last."
 
Miroku looked quizzically at the jewel clasped so tightly in Kagome's hand. "I wonder what will happen to it when it is purified," he mused aloud.
 
"I don't care what happens to it," said Inuyasha suddenly. "So long as Kagome doesn't die in this attempt…I mean, who's to say whether Kagome is or isn't strong enough? You say it depends on her spirit's strength, Kaede. What will happen if her spirit isn't strong enough?"
 
She sighed heavily. "There will be one of three outcomes if she cannot purify the jewel," she said. "First, and most likely, the jewel will remain as it is, and so will Kagome."
 
Inuyasha exhaled, feeling slightly more relaxed.
 
"Second, she may be forced to endure darkness when the demon finds her weakness and may, in fact, be possessed by it. Or she may be so wrapped in the darkness that the demon won't even need to possess her, and in that case, what she may do on her own could possibly be even worse than what a demon could force her to do."
 
The others had a sudden flashback of when Akago had nearly possessed Kagome and shared a collective shudder.
 
"Third…there is the possibility that she will die."
 
Sango and Shippou leapt from their spots on the floor, crying "No!" simultaneously. Inuyasha's face hardened, trying to mask his emotions at the words. Only Miroku looked unsurprised by the news, though that did nothing to stop his expression turning even grimmer.
 
The monk glanced down at Kagome. "She knew," he said abruptly.
 
The others turned to look at him. "What are you talking about, Miroku?" asked Inuyasha sharply.
 
"Kagome knew that she may die while attempting to purify the jewel," he answered. "Midoriko gave her the warning and the choice. She may not have said the words, but I know Kagome understood the meaning. And she accepted. She's prepared to die, if only the jewel will be purified."
 
Inuyasha glared at the girl, his face like a thundercloud. "Dammit, why the hell does she have to be so selfless?" he asked no one in particular. "Always trying to do what's right...why can't she ever think about herself once in a while?"
 
Sango turned away from the distraught hanyou. She knew that Kagome's wish was not only to purify the jewel, but also to make it usable to Inuyasha, to help him achieve the full demon form he had been yearning for all these years. Did he realize she was sacrificing her life for him?
 
Inuyasha stood suddenly and grabbed the Tessaiga, walking out of the house without another word. The others looked at one another; they knew that watching Kagome's pain was too much for him to stand.
 
* * *
 
"Dammit!"
 
Inuyasha swung the Tessaiga at a tree, chopping it clean down.
 
"Why the hell is it always Kagome? Why is she always the one who has to do this stupid shit?!" he yelled angrily, swinging the sword at another tree. After it fell, he swung the sword around again, but swung it off course when he saw Miroku standing there. He staggered and nearly fell over.
 
"Miroku, you ass! What the hell?" he said, more out of relief and anger than anything else.
 
"Inuyasha, what are you doing out here?" said Miroku, his tone slightly harsh. "Don't you think you should be back at the hut, watching over Kagome?"
 
"And why should I?" spat Inuyasha. "I know she's going to be okay."
 
"Nonetheless, you're worried about her. We all know how you feel about her, Inuyasha, we understand."
 
"Who says I feel anything for her?" snarled Inuyasha. He winced as he realized what he had just said. Miroku just stared at him, his expression completely neutral. Inuyasha sighed and flicked his wrist with the Tessaiga, allowing it to shrink again, and he slid it into the sheath. Then he sighed and collapsed onto a nearby rock, running his hands over his face and hiding his eyes from Miroku's sight.
 
"Inuyasha?"
 
"Miroku, I can't take this anymore," groaned Inuyasha. "If anyone deserves a break, she does. But all this shit keeps happening to her. I promised her that I'd protect her, but so far she's been through just as much as before, if not more."
 
Miroku sat down next to him, but apparently he didn't take any notice.
 
"I don't know anymore, Miroku. I don't know if I can do this."
 
"Do what?"
 
"Protect her!" he snapped, not even bothering to raise his head. "She could be dying in there, and I can't do anything about it."
 
Miroku was shocked at the pain and fear he could hear so clearly in his voice. This was not good. If Inuyasha was feeling shitty enough that he didn't even try to disguise the emotions he was feeling…
 
"You really do love her, don't you?"
 
"Would I be so upset over this if I didn't?" croaked Inuyasha. Then he suddenly straightened as he realized just what he had just said, and whom to.
 
"Inuyasha…she's admitted to you that she loves you. Hell, before she even told you, you knew she loved you. Isn't it about time you did the same for her?"
 
* * *
 
It was dark. The silence echoed all around, through the cold shadows. This place was almost nothing, and nowhere.
 
Yet it had to be somewhere, thought Kagome, sitting up. Otherwise she wouldn't be here.
 
She couldn't remember much. The last thing she remembered perfectly was her argument with Inuyasha the day she had exorcised the demon from the little girl. Everything after that was fuzzy, incomprehensible.
 
"Kagome?"
 
She turned and felt a wave of relief wash over her. It was Midoriko.
 
"Lady Midoriko," said Kagome, sighing with relief. "Thank goodness. Where are we?"
 
The priestess looked at Kagome almost sympathetically. Yet something seemed…different…about the powerful miko. Maybe it was that odd glint in her eyes…
 
"Kagome, do you remember what happened to you before you collapsed?" asked Midoriko.
 
Kagome strained her memory, but couldn't recall anything, and she shook her head. Midoriko held out her hand, and after a moment's hesitation, Kagome took it. She stood, and the two of them began to walk together.
 
"I feel you have the right to know," said the priestess, sweeping her arm in front of them. At once, the shadowy darkness melted away, replaced almost immediately by the forest of the Goshinboku. Kagome blinked with surprise as she saw herself standing at the Goshinboku, running her hands over it. It was the oddest experience she had ever had, watching herself while standing a good ten feet away.
 
"Kagome?"
 
Both Kagomes looked around at the sound of Inuyasha's voice. He walked out from behind the trees across the clearing.
 
"Oh, Inuyasha!" exclaimed the Kagome at the Goshinboku happily.
 
"Kagome, there's something I have to tell you," said the hanyou. The Kagome at the tree stilled, as though sensing bad news. The Kagome watching the whole thing felt a chill run though her blood as well.
 
"I'm sorry, Kagome. I know I told you that I don't love Kikyou anymore, but now that she's gone, I realize that I do. And I realized that I don't love you as I thought I had. As a matter of fact, it's you who's the one I never truly loved."
 
Both Kagomes gasped, staggered. The Kagome watching felt light-headed, as though she was going to faint. This couldn't be happening…no…
 
"There's no place for you here in this time anymore, Kagome," said Inuyasha. "I think it's about time you returned to your own time--for good."
 
Tears blurred Kagome's vision as she watched herself collapse, as Inuyasha watched her crumple to the ground and walk away without another word. The scene faded, and Kagome gave in to the jelly-like state of her legs and sank down to her knees, sobbing into her hands.
 
And the demon sneered down at the heart-broken miko, satisfied that the real Midoriko would never find the strength she needed from this girl ever again.
 
* * *
 
Kagome opened her eyes with a distressed cry. She breathed heavily for a moment, allowing herself to focus on the world around her. Sango and Shippou were above her, fear in their eyes. She stilled and breathed normally, then looked around. Miroku wasn't here…and neither was Inuyasha.
 
Kagome's stomach lurched as she remembered what she had seen. Was it true? Is that what had really happened?
 
"Kagome! Are you alright?!" asked Sango. Kagome felt awful; Sango and Shippou were obviously sincerely concerned for her.
 
She pushed herself up and forced herself to stand and start gathering her things. Sango stood as well and placed her hand on Kagome's arm.
 
"What're you doing?" she asked. Kagome stilled and looked at the older girl. Sango had always been like an older sister to her…
 
"It's time, Sango," said Kagome said miserably. "It's time for me to return home…for good."
 
Sango and Shippou jumped as though burned and stared at her.
 
"B-but, Kagome…why?"
 
"Ask Inuyasha," she answered bitterly. "He wants me to go."
 
Sango shook her head. "That's impossible," she said slowly, her voice cracking. "Kagome, the guy loves you. And you love him. And we all want you to stay. And--"
 
"Inuyasha doesn't love me," she said coldly. "He never did. He told me that, too." She slung her backpack across her back and hugged both her friends tightly. "I wish I could stay, my friends…but I should go…"
 
"Promise you'll at least visit," pleaded both friends simultaneously.
 
Kagome smiled sadly. "I will. I promise," she said, heading for the doorway. "Good…goodbye," she said, choking on her own words. With that, she turned and left.
 
"What on earth happened between them now?" Shippou wondered aloud.
 
"I dunno, Shippou," replied Sango, narrowing her eyes. "But I sure as hell am going to find out."
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha sniffed the air suddenly. He'd know that scent anywhere.
 
"Kagome!" he called out abruptly.
 
Miroku stood, as did Inuyasha. "Where is she?" asked the monk.
 
Inuyasha listened, training his hearing to find her. There were her soft steps, heading for the well.
 
"She's heading for the well," Inuyasha said hurriedly, and without another word, he took off, desperate to see for himself that she was okay. He arrived at the well less than two seconds later, and he waited a few minutes until she walked into the clearing.
 
"Kagome!" he said in relief.
 
She looked at him, her gaze as cold as ice and hard as stone. He watched her in some surprise. What had he done this time?
 
"What're you doing here?" he asked. "Go back to Kaede's, you look like you could use the rest." His voice was hesitant.
 
"What would you care?" she asked. "You may not love me, Inuyasha, but I still love you, and I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy."
 
"You getting well would make me happy," he said softly. What the hell was she talking about?
 
"Last I checked, me going home permanently is what would make you happy," she said coolly.
 
He blinked, confused. "Home? Why in hell's name would I want you to go home? And when did I say something like that?"
 
Her features softened for a moment--until she noticed that Miroku was standing nearby, and her expression turned cold again.
 
"You don't have to pretend around our friends, Inuyasha," she said. And with that, she shoved him aside and headed for the well. Inuyasha watched, his mouth agape. She turned just before she jumped in.
 
"Miroku, I promised the other two that I'll visit once in a while. I'll see you again, I hope. It's up to you." She looked at Inuyasha one last time. He could clearly see the pain in her eyes, the hurt…and the love. Then they turned blank and cold as ice once more. She raised her chin proudly, coldly. "Goodbye, Inuyasha."
 
And then…she was gone.
 
***************************************************************** *************
Author's Note:
 
Ok I'm sorry it took so long to get this up. I'm grounded, and I had to sneak on to get this up.
 
I thank Mr. Miyuzaki for creating the movie "Princess Mononoke". It really helped me through the writer's block this chapter was giving me. And though I HIGHLY doubt he'll ever read this, still…thanks!
 
If you've ever seen the movie, you will probably recognize the scene coming up. It was a great scene to add to this story…I thought that the first time I saw it! Yay!
 
As always, thanks for the reviews! They make me so happy!
 
I don't think there's any new Japanese in this chapter…so until next time, sayonara! (I hope I don't have to translate that for you.)