InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ An Endless Deception ❯ Whisper ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.

Summary: Heartbroken and distant, Kagome returned to her time and tried to make the most out of her life. Now at the age of eight-teen, she finds herself being pulled back down the well. Will the past be too much for her heart to handle? Or, is there something lurking in Feudal Japan that can help her come to terms with what really transpired?

Author's Note: Since majority of the reviewers wanted a sequel to 'My Last Breath', I finally started it. I hope you enjoy. If you have any other title suggestions, I'm willing to look them over. :)

An Endless Deception

Chapter One: Whisper

Three years have passed since Kagome had last been to the Feudal Era. She stood outside of her house, her navy blue skirt moving to the gentle caresses of the wind. She had just gotten home from school, her bag full of school textbooks and notebooks. Her brown eyes were directed to the five-hundred-year-old tree close to the shrine. Tears stung her eyes and she angrily wiped them away.

She should have known that she would never have been able to have a life with Inuyasha. It would never have been possible.

She turned away from the tree and walked to the house. She couldn't wait to graduate and leave the shrine for good. She never wanted to see it. Never again.

She went inside and headed upstairs to her room. Piles of note cards were littering her desk, reminding her of the winter exam coming up. She frowned and dumped her bag unceremoniously onto the floor. She couldn't believe that she had forgotten about the test.

She sat down on her bed and put her head in her hands. She couldn't stop the tears this time. Two and a half years worth of sorrowful tears fell from her eyes. She hated remembering him. She hated the fact that she still remembered him. She lay down and clutched her pillow, burying her face into it.

She just loved him too much to ever forget.

Catch me as I fall
Say you're here and it's all over now

Slowly, she lifted her head up from the pillow and went into the bathroom to wash her face. She looked into the mirror and frowned slightly.

She was taller now. Her black hair had grown longer and she looked like a typical, Japanese eighteen-year-old. Her eyes, now red from crying, held less of the sparkle that she had had while she was still looking for the shards of the Shikon no Toma.

The Jewel of Four Souls.

The pink gem was on a chain around her neck like it had been years ago. She looked down at it. It was glistening as it normally did. Her hands moved to the back of her neck and undid the clasp. She carried the necklace back to her room and placed it inside of a jewelry box. She hated being reminded of the past.

Speaking to the atmosphere
No one's here and I fall into myself
This truth drives me into madness
I know I can stop the pain if I will it all away

She sat down at her desk and looked over the notes piled there. Exams. She had to study for the test tomorrow. She opened one textbook and began looking through it.

She couldn't stay focused.

She felt as though someone was watching her.

She looked around. Only Buyo was in her room. The large cat was lying on her bed, asleep. She sighed and continued back to reading.

Don't turn away

She closed the book, still unable to concentrate. She walked over to her window and looked out at the shrine. She could feel the delicate droplets of water slipping down her cheeks. She hated the shrine. Why was she staring at it?

A voice.

She heard a voice calling to her. From the shrine.

Don't try to hide
Don't close your eyes

She took a step back and looked away from the window, trying to ignore the voices filling her head. Was she going insane? Was someone trying to call her back? Who would want her to come back?

Inuyasha.

She forcefully pushed the name out of her head. She didn't want to remember that name.

Silver hair. Half-human. He was so kind and more polite as a human.

She ignored the ramblings of her past and picked up her textbook. An image of Inuyasha flashed in front of her eyes.

He was dead.

I'm frightened by what I see
But somehow I know that there's much more to come

She ran out of the house, grabbing her backpack and stuffing it with food and medical supplies. The wind had become cool and crisp, brushing her dark hair out of her face as she hurried to the well. She paused next to it, knowing she had forgotten something. She dropped the bag and went back to the house to get the jewel. Questions filled her mind.

Do I want to go back?

Why do I keep thinking about Inuyasha?

Will they remember me?

What's going on?

How can this be happening now?

Why am I going back?

She grabbed the gem and clasped it around her neck. She had to go back, though she had no idea why. Without realizing it, she found herself in front of the well again, staring into the deep cavern below.

Nothing stirred.

'Why am I suddenly too afraid to move? I've done this thousands of times before.'

Immobilized by my fear
And soon to be blinded by tears
I can stop the pain if I will it all away

She placed one knee on the edge of the well, preparing to jump it. She froze, uncertainty coming through it large, pulsing waves. Was she absolutely...?

Without a second thought, she leapt down into the darkness with her backpack. She was being taking to the Feudal Era.

Don't turn away
Don't try to hide
Don't close your eyes
Don't turn out the light

Kagome felt around blindly for the vines and slowly managed to climb up. She heaved herself over the ledge and looked around. Everything was just as she remembered it.

Trees surrounded the Bone Eaters Well. Luscious green grass was everywhere. She remembered it clearly, like a watercolor painting that would be hanging in a living for all to see. She sat down and continued to scan the area.

It was strange to her, not having Shippo or Inuyasha coming by the well the moment she arrived, the kit begging for some candy and the hanyou asking for potato chips. She opened her backpack and looked through it. Sure enough, she had brought chips and candy and soda.

The jewel glistened.

She got up and hefted the pack onto her shoulders. She slowly began walking toward the village, her feet taking her like they had three years ago. Something strange caught her eye.

A grave.

She walked over to it and read the script carved into it.

Fallen angels at my feet
Whispered voices in my ear
Death before my eyes
Lying next to me I fear

"Lady Kaede."

The priestess Kikyo's sister had died while she was away. She felt an intense wave of sadness and walked away from the grave. The grave itself was situated next to Kikyo's remains themselves, or the empty grave at least.

The ashes had been stolen four years ago to recreate the dead priestess.

She beckons me shall I give in

She spotted the village up ahead. The sun was sinking into the horizon. She felt a pair of eyes on her. She turned around but saw no one.

Upon my end shall I begin

Calm amber eyes watched the girl's every move with interest. It had been quite some time. He eyed her as she moved out of his range of sight and disappeared into darkness. A cold, icy wind blew through the trees where he was perched.

A scream.

It pierced the air. He ran toward it, determined to find out what it was.

Forsaking all I've fallen for I rise to meet my end

Kagome fell to the ground and covered her ears and the high-pitched whistling erupted in her ears. Someone caught her and she was moving again. She opened her eyes. A wisp of silver moved passed her face.

"Inuyasha?"