InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ An Unrevealed Secret, A Hidden Past ❯ Amnesia ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

An Unrevealed Secret, A Hidden Past

Chapter One:

Amnesia

She woke to find water lapping at her legs. Her eyes burned and she felt itchy all over. A great pain surging through her entire body. The young woman wiped her eyes and wearily stood up. She was bleeding, a great deal, and the fact that salt was all in her wounds was not helping; they burned horribly in the sun. She looked around. She was on a beach. Bright white sand and a sparkling clear ocean. But she did not remember this place at all; neither did she remember how she had those deep gnashes in her body. When she tried to think back, her head throbbed crazily.

"I can't remember anything!" And with that she collapsed in the sand.

The girl woke up. She was resting on something warm…and it was ~moving~! She tried to organize her thoughts, but they all came out in a jumble. She noticed what she was lying on was red and her pillow had been soft white silver hair. Her eyes burned. The back was so comfortable; it would not hurt to get a little more comfortable…

The third time she woke up, she was in a hut. It was dark.

"Hello?" she mumbled, trying to rise.

"Finally, you are awake!" came a scratchy old voice. A squat woman, all wrinkly and worn with age, wearing a black eye patch sat in a corner not far from her.

"Where am I?"

"Someplace safe."

"Who brought me here?" The old woman either did not hear her, or ignored the question. The young woman struggled to stand.

"Do not try to move child." She pointed to her. Her body was heavily bandaged, and some places were splattered with blood.

"Who did this to you?"

"I can't remember! Anything!" Fleeting panic washed over her. Where did she come from? How did she get here? Who was she?

"Calm down. Your memory will come back. You might just have a light case of amnesia."

"AMNESIA!" she yelped. "I can't! I mean, I can't possibly have amnesia!"

"Take a deep breath and relax."

"RELAX?" she screeched. "HOW?" She just wanted to get out of there, to run, but to where? "Where am I?"

"The Sengoku Jidai Islands. There are many people here, along with demons."

"DEMONS! This ~has~ to be a dream! I mean, demons are not real! How am I supposed to be safe with ~demons~ around?"

"Not all demons are bad. In fact, a demon brought you here, not a full one I might add."

"A demon?"

"Hanyou."

"What's the difference?"

"He's only half demon. His other half is human." So what? If he had demon blood in him…

"I want to get out of here, now!" She demanded, but whimpered when she felt surging pain running through her body.

"Not in your current condition. You must rest here for a while until you are better. We can find you some new clothes, and you must settle down. From what we all know this is going to be your permanent home." The girl gulped. Permanent?

* * *

The next few days were slow torture. She was healing unbelievably slow, since the wounds were deep. The old woman, whose name turned out to be Kaede always gave her nasty potions to drink and was a bore to talk to, unless she talked about the legends of the island. One day, there was a knock on the door. The girl lay asleep.

"Hello Lady Kaede. Word in the village is a girl washed ashore a few days ago."

"The word is correct. But she is sleeping now. She will go in the village once she is better." The young man at the door nodded, bowed his head, and walked off. She woke soon after, only to have nasty medicine stuffed into her mouth.

"Kaede," she mumbled, the medicine making her drowsy.

"Yes child?"

"Tell me of the hanyou who brought me here."

"That is a story you may not wish to here."

"I do! But why did he bring me here?"

"Demons. You would have been devoured by some of the more eviler ones."

" ~Please~ Kaede! I want to here the story!" The old woman sighed as she stirred another concoction.

"He is an outcast. Humans hate him. Demons look down upon him. Not too many hanyous exist. Anyway, he has a horrible reputation as a thief. Things have been stolen. They always find white hair at the scene. He's the only one who hangs around the village who has white hair, so, he was dubbed as a felon."

"But what if he was framed! Or some demon has white hair and he's stealing all of the stuff!"

"Demons do not linger around these parts, more around the forests and beach." She was confused. The man who had saved her could not be all that bad.

"Anyway, while lingering about, he saw you washed up, and brought you to me. I am the only one who has shown him a touch of kindness. I do not believe he stole those things, he's not like that."

"Why hasn't he come to visit me?"

"I haven't the slightest clue. But you might be seeing him soon, once you go out tomorrow."

"Really!" She squealed.

"Yes, I'll give you some clothes and some money…"

"Oh no, I couldn't!"

"I have no use for it. I find my food in the forests and I make my own clothes. Please, take it, as thanks."

"I should be thanking you! You saved my life!"

"That maybe so, but you gave me some company, someone to talk to." Kaede smiled.

"Oh."

"And I'll give you fresh bandages. Then you should be set. I'll have one of the village men escort you." She nodded; finally the medicine had taken its toll. She had been fighting it none stop to get some answers, but she had let her guard down and it finally won. She drifted off to sleep.

* * *

She woke early. Kaede freshened up her bandages, and gave her a plain cotton dress and sandals, then handed her money.

"The man who has agreed to show to around the city should be here any moment." At that instant, there was knocking at the door.

"There he is!" She opened the door to find young man, maybe about 18 in age with short black hair pulled into a teeny ponytail with stunning purple eyes.

"Hello Miroku. Just in time. Child!" She stretched and trotted over to him and shook his hand. Miroku, being quite the pervert surveyed her up and down. Long, shiny black hair fell below her shoulders, radiant skin, big, brown eyes, a full chest, luscious curves, and a good pair of legs. Finally the gods has answered his prayers!

"My name's Miroku, and yours?" he asked, extending his arm. She took it, biting her lip.

"I can't remember."

"Not to worry. That is not a problem. We'll make up a name for you!"

"Really!" He nodded and smiled down at his charge. Making friends with Kaede sure had paid off, not that he minded helping her.

"How about…Raven!" He blurted out, eyeing the way her dark hair glistened in the early morning sun. "Because of your hair…" She was silent for a moment.

"I love it!" She squealed. "Now where are we going?"

"To find you some clothes and some food. You look hungry!" He noticed her slightly hollow appearance.

"I only really drank medicine for a few days," Raven explained.

"Ah. So what do you remember of your past?" They were now strolling from the piney forest into the village.

* * *

Raven was excited. The bustling streets. The cheery people. The delightful smells. The sights. The sounds. It was all new to her, like she was some little baby who had just been born. First they went to the tailor, hoping that the little bit of money Kaede had given them would stretch. Miroku reluctantly let go of Raven's arm and knocked on the door. A tall women with long silver tresses and small, goldenrod eyes let them in. She had two scratches among each cheek.

"So you are the girl the whole town is talking about. Not many odd things like that happen in here!" she muttered, scrambling around in the pitch-black hut, foraging for a candle.

"Yes, it is strange," Miroku added, inching up behind Raven, his hand itching…

"Come forth child." ~Damn~ Miroku cursed mentally, putting his hand behind his back. So close!

"Now what is your name?"

"I can't remember. But they call me Raven." The old tailor nodded.

"And I'm Yurai." Raven smiled as Yurai fitted the tape measurer around her waist, Miroku on looking eagerly.

"Mmm…your size in much different from the girls around here," Yurai informed her.

"Oh no, I'm fat!" Miroku started, and scowled at Yurai. Raven was the most beautiful woman he had laid eyes upon!

"No. The girls around here starve themselves, thinking that will make them pretty. I bet you'll get plenty of men!" Raven blushed, trying to turn her back to Miroku whose eyes grew as big as saucers.

"There! All done. I'll bring your clothes to you when they are completed."

"No! No! I will come and get them. Please don't trouble yourself!" Raven patted the old woman on her shoulder.

"Thank you. You are a very polite child." Yurai beamed at her.

"Come on, Raven. I still want to show you around the village!" She nodded, waved to Yurai and dashed out of the hut, glad to be outside again. Yurai was nice, but her hut was dark, cramped, and stuffy. Before they could progress long or Miroku had the chance to cop a feel of Raven's backside, they heard a yell. A man, short and squat with red face and a big mustache was outside of his store, cursing. Broken glass shards were littered around him.

"Sir, what happened here?" Miroku asked, running up to him.

"That damned white haired bandit cleaned me out! Look! All of my rolls are stolen." He showed them a lock of white silver hair. Raven nibbled her lip and made a rash decision.

"Sir, I don't think he did it!"

"And why the hell not?" he growled, his beady eyes widening in shock as he saw the beautiful girl in front of him.

"Well, he saved me, and I saw his hair. Can I please hold it?" He handed it to Raven and she touched it gently. "No, it's definitely not his. His hair was not as silver and it was really soft." The patch of hair she held was wispy and scratchy, not at all like the soft, thick hair she had slept on.

"How do you know that?" Raven blushed.

"He carried me to Kaede's hut; I used it as a pillow. It wasn't so…harsh."

"How can we take the word of a ~woman~?" The man demanded. "How do we know he saved her? Why would a filthy half-breed like Inuyasha save her?" Inuyasha? So that was his name.

"She doesn't tell lies. Besides Kaede, the old priestess told me. She was nursing Raven back to health, once she arrived at her hut. I saw it with my own eyes!"

"So ~this~ is the one!" the man cried. "The one who washed up on the beach!" Raven nodded, hoping the man would believe Miroku.

"Yes."

"My apologies madam, but who else would steal besides him! He is the only being I know with hair such as this."

"I don't know, but I do know it definitely wasn't him!" The man shrugged her off.

"Would you like some help cleaning up?" Raven asked.

"You're willing?"

"Miroku?" She nudged the monk who was deep into thought.

"Of course!"

Raven grabbed a broom from the store and starting sweeping up the glass.

"I don't remember learning how to do this," she muttered to herself while the storekeeper and Miroku were deep in conversation. "Maybe I was a housekeeper?" Raven imagined herself with an apron, sweeping in a very tidy home. Not a chance! She thought.

After a while she managed to get up most of the glass. Now it was the rolls she tended, too. The storekeeper taught her how to make the bread and went off with Miroku to find out the rest of the damage.

"Who could possibly be stealing all of this stuff and letting Inuyasha take the blame?" Raven wondered as she kneaded the dough. "And who has unique hair, just like that?" Raven shuddered at the thought as she put the dough in the oven and waited for to it rise. Meanwhile she went about, tidying up the shop. She mopped the dirty floors; she rinsed the dishes, and organized the shelves. When she was done, so was the bread and she set it out to cool, nabbing a few rolls as it did.

Just then, the storekeeper and Miroku tottered back from who knows where and gasped. The store was no longer old looking and dusty. Raven scrubbed down every surface and even washed the sink filled with dirty dishes.

"My, the shop has never looked so clean since Aiko died…" Miroku patted him on the shoulder, and then suddenly perked up.

"Mr. Aru, do you think that Raven could work in your shop? Helping you bake and clean up? That way she could buy everything she needs to get settled in. Plus, your shop could always be neat!" Raven beamed at Miroku, but waited eagerly as Aru thought.

"You're hired! And for your efforts…" He rummaged through his pockets and gave her some currency. Raven's face lit up.

"Thanks Mr. Aru!" she squealed. "And thank you Miroku!" It made his heart squirm the way she looked at him like that. Maybe the gods ~had~rewarded him for helping old Kaede.

"Well, we should be heading back now." Everyone bid their goodbyes. Once out of the shop, Raven wrapped Miroku in a big bear hug. It was his turn to blush.

"You're a really good friend, you know that Miroku?" she asked, but didn't notice as his face fell. F-f-f-friend! NO! Boyfriend! Oh well. At least he could be around Raven a lot without to many asked questions, but he would still plot on making her his.

They walked up from the village, discussing the break in robbery.

"Do you believe me Miroku? About Inuyasha?"

"Of course I do."

"I didn't see his face though, only the back of his head…"

"Don't worry. It's good that you remembered his hair. Now we can clear his name!"

"Do you know him, personally?" Raven inquired as they started to get to the heavily wooded area.

"Yes."

"~And~?"

"He's…uh…" Miroku tried to put it into words. "Not the friendliest of guys…He's temperamental. Maybe it has to do with how everyone treats him, I don't know, but he does have a nice side, though I have yet to witness it." This time Miroku didn't catch Raven's face fall. She imagined Inuyasha to be nice, that way it wouldn't seem so probable that he did steal. But then again, she couldn't blame him. The way people treated him.

Miroku stopped at the hut.

"I just remembered that I have an important ceremony to go to! Bye Raven!" He raced off. Raven shook her head, and pushed open the door. There was Kaede as usual, and a guy, wearing red, sporting beautiful long, silver white hair…

"Inuyasha?"

~* Muwahahaaaaaaa! My second fanfic. I hope it wasn't too bad. Please review! Constructive criticism really helps, but no downright raves and rants about how bad the story is without telling me how to improve. Hey, I'm new at this thing! Stay tuned for the next chapter, Beginning A New Life!*~