InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Antagonists Unite ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Antagonists Unite
By: DarkCrystalis
 
XxXx
 
Chapter Eleven
 
Rin's POV
 
As I awoke—I'd eventually fallen asleep at a little after five in the morning,— I rubbed my red-rimmed, tired eyes at the pace of a turtle's steps. I was positively exhausted from head to foot, although from what I wasn't exactly sure. I felt like a train had run over my head, making the resounding pain from within wreck me senseless.
 
Weakly, I pulled myself up from my warm bed, barely able to remove the covers from my legs and stomach. I gasped when I saw what time it was; school had started hours ago. Why hadn't Koji woken me? He always wakes up around the same time as me, so we often see each other for a brief period of time in the mornings.
 
Running to the shower as quickly as I could, I stripped off my last night's clothes with the swiftness of a fox. As the hot, steaming water poured over my face, last night registered in my mind. I squeezed my eyes shut, praying to god or whatever was above me that this nightmare would pass. The salt from my face, which had dried some time while I slept, crept off of my cheeks and fell listlessly into the bathtub's drain. I felt slightly relieved, having the remnants of last night wash away. I silently wished that the memories could be as easily rid of as the tears. The nightmare would continue to haunt me, I was sure of this, but with determination I fought it—I would not become an uncontrollable wreck as I had the night before.
 
As I scrubbed my weary head, I inhaled the fragrant scent of flowers and fruit—the intoxicating smell of the shampoo was making me relax. I grabbed the nearest washcloth and rubbed my face so vigorously that it became red and sore; I wanted to wash away all of the tears, all of my fears...
 
Once I was sure every nook and cranny had been cleaned to perfection, I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my shivering body. I looked in the mirror, not quite recognizing myself as the pale, lifeless eyes with dark, almost black half-circles underneath that stared back at me. Who was that girl that held no vigor, no spirited soul?
 
I ignored my thoughts, sticking out my tongue in the reflection of the steamy mirror. There; how's that for soulful and lively? I asked myself, smiling the tiniest of smiles. In time, I was positive that everything would be alright—or at least, I foolishly hoped.
 
Once I grabbed a fresh set of clothes for the day, I dropped them on the carpeted floor and sat on my bed, the tiredness finally hitting me without remorse. I realized that it's Saturday and that I didn't even have school today. I felt more foolish than ever.
 
My body climbed into bed, still soaked to the bone, but I didn't care. My hair still dripped like a leaky faucet that hadn't been completely shut off, but that didn't register. The only thing I was interested in was sleeping. Precious, precious sleep...that was all I really needed...
 
XxXx
 
Sesshoumaru's POV
 
I woke up feeling not even near cheery--although, this was, more or less, a daily occurrence. Things might have been more exciting or happy if I'd ended up going to the dance with Rin, but of course she had to go and turn all girly on me at the last second, speaking of her morals, or something along those lines...about her not being just a payback and all that crap...
 
God, girls are so confusing sometimes; it honest to god hurts my brain to think about it. Putting that aside, it looks like I'm going to have to talk to her. She completely missed the point; it's obvious that she's never had a boyfriend before, otherwise she'd know how men work.
 
Men too proud to straight out make requests; they have to make it sound like everything is in their favour, otherwise they'll be looked at as push-over sissies that can be dominated by women...
 
Well, not that I'm like that or anything; I happen to be different, I like to think. I don't let anyone, especially those of the opposite sex, see what I'm really thinking or feeling. I happen to be withdrawn when it comes to that kind of stuff; I feel like my thoughts should only belong to me and no one else should have a say in how my thought process works. I believe this to be reasonable, since in theory, I could be much worse off in the personal-beliefs/habits department.
 
I've taken akin to talking to myself...it's a perfectly normal habit to have, you know, as long as you don't hear anything talk back to you...
 
XxXx
 
Rin's POV
 
Koji came into my room some time in the late afternoon, asking me if I was sick due to all my sleeping.
 
“Of course not,” I told him, trying to hide my face behind my hands, pretending to yawn tiredly. “I had a late night yesterday—I was just sleepy.” I could tell that my face was still lacking colour, even though I didn't have any nightmares the second time I went to bed.
 
The phone rang—luckily for me,—so I rushed to answer it before Koji could. As expected, it was Kagome. She probably wanted to grill me some more on why I'd left early the night before, at the dance. My explanation from last night, seemingly, hadn't sufficed.
 
“It's for me, Koji…” I couldn't help saying, hoping that he'd just get up and leave—I didn't feel like talking to him right now.
 
Instead, he stared at me, as if confused. “You don't look well,” he finally answered, shaking his head. “Have you been eating properly lately? You've been acting oddly since last night.” I wanted to kick myself; especially if Kagome could hear all of this.
 
“Look, I'll call you back in a minute, Kags,” I told her with a forced happiness in my voice and hung up. Then, I turned towards Koji, giving him a smile that I didn't feel.
 
“I'm completely fine! Since when did you get so bothered over me? I think I'm doing a great job looking after myself, you know. Are you forgetting how old I am?”
 
I could see the concern in his eyes and suddenly felt horribly guilty. He knew something was wrong with me. All he wanted to do was help me in any way he could, but here I was, shrugging off my problem, pretending that it didn't exist to get him off my back.
 
“If I ever had a serious problem, you'd be the first to know about it,” I told Koji, hating myself every second after I'd spewed the lie.
 
“Alright,” he relented, walking out of my room. He wasn't convinced, but there wasn't much else he could do.
 
Once I was sure he was gone, I shoved my head into my pillow, feeling the tears prick my eyes. I'd never lied to Koji before, but now that I had—even if it was for our own safety,— I felt even worse than before.
 
Once I gained composure, I picked up the phone. Lifelessly, I called Kagome back and listened to her chatter. She talked about the dance, how her and Inuyasha kissed by the end of the night, and how romantic it was…
 
I wasn't in the mood to be hearing these things, but I listened on anyway, always the loyal type of person to my friends and family.
 
“Can you believe it? Inuyasha kissed me…and it was so romantic,” Kagome said dreamily, and I could already tell that her eyes were closed and she was re-living the memory.
 
I wondered what would have happened if I'd accepted the date demand from Sesshoumaru—if we would have danced, talked, or perhaps even kissed. I wrinkled my face, my nose twitching slightly. No, I wouldn't have done those things—he's a boy, and I don't like boys very much, especially after the encounter with the scary man from last night.
 
“…Rin?” I heard Kagome say, and nearly blushed, realizing that I'd practically ignored my best friend in favour of thoughts for Sesshoumaru.
 
“Sorry, I got side-tracked for a moment,” I said, feeling good that at least this statement wasn't a lie.
 
“I'm coming over to see you—right now!” Kagome demanded sternly, and I began to panic. Had she somehow figured out that something was out-of-place with me? I felt nervous and was about to object, but then I heard laughter through the phone. “The day Rin zones out on me is the day she's gone to the loony bin!”
 
I can't help but smile a tiny smile; Kagome always makes me feel better, somehow—even in the darkest of times in my life.
 
XxXx
 
Sesshoumaru's POV
 
“…I kissed Kagome! I don't know how I managed that, but I did. God, what's wrong with me? Now she's probably gonna want a relationship from me and shit…” Inuyasha whined the afternoon after the dance, but even I could tell that he was smitten with her.
 
I didn't say anything as he rambled on, telling me useless information about the dance that I hadn't the slightest interest in. I wasn't happy with how things had turned out the night before—Rin should have been my date; no girls turned I, Sesshoumaru Taishou, down.
 
“Shut up, you rambling fool—I am disinterested on what you have to say,” I eventually said to Inuyasha when he was getting on my nerves. He seemed a little upset, but that didn't bother me in the slightest. He shouldn't even be here, anyway; he lives with his mother ninety percent of the time.
 
“Anyway, see you later,” he mumbled under his breath as he walked away.
 
Am I angry at Inuyasha? No, of course not—I have too much composure to lose my temper on him. However, the real question I should be asking myself is if I'm jealous of him; that answer is one I'm not so sure of.
 
No, I'm not interested in being with Kagome; she isn't my type. Rin, on the other hand, is a mystery—she's quiet, sweet, and bashful—which is horrendously cute and not something I should like, but I do nonetheless. Not to mention she looks good, does well in school, and is overall a likable person. How could someone not like her?
 
Then, Sesshoumaru realized he was day dreaming of her and blanched. No, he wouldn't chase her like a lovesick puppy; she'd already turned him down. Remembering this made his blood boil—but the funniest part of it was that he didn't find her rejection painful. He found her personality and originality entertaining; Sesshoumaru couldn't predict her next spoken words or actions; he was glad that she wasn't like everyone else.
 
One day, she will be mine—perhaps not now or in the near future, but one dayIn the mean time, I'll be my regular calm and cool self—Rin doesn't need to know about my feelings yet.
 
XxXx
 
Author's Note
 
Angel: I was away on vacation at my cottage with my family in the middle of nowhere…There wasn't any computer access, so I apologize. It was a really long vacation (which I hated every day of) and I recently got back. The first night I got back was spent seeing Jonathan—and then for the next little while I was MSNing with friends and such.
 
Jonathan: Damn straight—the second she got back, she spent time with me! I was even waiting for her and everything as their car drove up to their house…
 
Angel: So, in short, I've been busy since I got back—seeing Jonathan, friends, doing all the laundry from the vacation, and trying to write some chapters for my fanfictions. I posted a third chapter for LTGB not too long ago, so I've been making some progress! (I had an idea for that story for so long, so I had to type it out!)
 
Sorry for not updating in ages, but like I've said a million times, I will not give up on this story. I've finished ELY, 72 Hours, The Bittersweet Trilogy, the Overcome 2-part series, so I'm definitely not giving up on this story, either!
 
Thank you for your many reviews—they've kept me inspired for writing the next chapter. I apologize if this isnt' as good as it could've been, but I'm trying to do the best that I can. The storyline will progress much further next chapter, I promise!
 
Jonathan: And as you can see, I haven't given up either; I'm still editing and keeping my girl (Angel) happy…
 
Angel: Right!
 
Once again, thank you to everyone, and now that I'm back, I hope updates will be more frequent!
 
Sincerely,
Angel and Jonathan