InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Any Way The Wind Blows ❯ Just A Poor Boy ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters or make any money and the title came from the song that inspired this drabble, Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen. I heard the line Miroku half-quoted in “Any Way The Wind Blows” and got all sad as I realized how much the song fit him…
 
Genre: Drabble, Angst, songfic
Word count: 496
Rating: K+
Code: none
Feedback: Please let me know what you thought!
 
Note: Sequel to Any Way The Wind Blows.
 
Just a Poor Boy
 
Two months later, InuYasha's group came across a decimated village in which survived one old priestess and a toddler. The woman explained that the little child had, one day, had a void open in his hand and sucked everyone in before she could put a ward on it. He was too young to understand what had happened, but he still cried every night for his mother.
 
“That lecher…” Sango hissed, pushing away the tears that started to rise. She tried to replace the despair in her heart with anger towards her lost love, but it still wasn't enough to prevent the single tear that slid down her cheek. She had forgiven him all the women, all the lying, cheating and stealing on the day they marked the crater that served as his grave. She couldn't do as he asked—she hadn't been happy for a minute since the day he left and her dreams were haunted with the regrets that she didn't voice in the day.
 
The little boy walked up to her and held his tiny hand out, reaching for her. Surprised, she leaned down and picked him up and he wiped away the tear she had shed.
 
“Lady sad, too?” he asked her. “Lady know mommy?”
 
“No,” Sango answered him. “I knew your father.” The elderly priestess looked up, surprised. “He had a hole in his hand, too.”
 
“You have seen this curse before?” the miko asked. Sango nodded.
 
“It is passed down through this family, created by a demon named Naraku fifty years ago.”
 
“Is papa gone, too?” the child asked.
 
“Yes,” Sango answered. The little boy looked down in sadness.
 
“Everyone goes away,” he whispered.
 
“What's your name?” Sango asked him.
 
“Miroku,” he answered. Sango's breath caught. As if the kazaana wasn't enough proof—the boy was named for his father.
 
“What will you do with him?” Sango asked quietly. She ignored the stares of her friends as she held the little boy close.
 
“I do not know. His mother had no family...”
 
“May I have him?” Sango asked, thinking, `He should have been mine, anyway.' A look of relief passed over the old woman's face.
 
“I am very happy,” she said softly, “That someone wants him who knows his family. Of course you may have him.”
 
“Is that all right with you, Miroku?” Sango asked the baby. “Will you come with me?” The little boy's big, soulful blue eyes stared up at her.
 
“Will you go away, too?”
 
“No,” Sango said.
 
“What are you going to do with him?” InuYasha snapped. “We can't carry a kid around with us.”
 
“Which is why, this is where we part,” Sango said, turning to her friends with her new child. “I will go live with Mushin to learn to raise him. It's fate, us having found him, and I won't pass this up. It's all he left me…” With that, Sango left with Kirara and her son, hoping to see them again, some day.
 
The End