InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ At Your Side ❯ At Your Side ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi. The song, "At Your Side," was written and performed by The Corrs.

Summary: There's a new moon tonight, so Kagome asks Inuyasha to come home with her.

Pairing: Kagome/Inuyasha

Rating: G

Author's Note: Thought expressions are indicated by '__'. A glossary for the Japanese terms is provided at the end of the song fic.


AT YOUR SIDE

By Ericedwyn


~* Sengoku Jidai *~

"Bye, Sango-chan. Bye, Miroku. Say "goodbye" to Kaede-baachan for me!" Kagome waved cheerfully before scooping up Shippou into her arms.

"You won't stay there long, will you, Kagome?" Shippou asked in a small voice, his green eyes a little misty.

"Only a few days, Shippou-chan, I promise. I'll bring back a treat for you, okay?" Kagome smiled at her young friend.

"You will? Will it be a cherry-flavored lollipop?" Shippou asked excitedly, the mistiness in his eyes gone… his face shining with stark anticipation.

Kagome chuckled as she hugged the little kitsune. "If that is what you want, Shippou-chan, then that's what I will bring back for you."

The young Miko set the happily grinning cub down on the ground before hefting her yellow backpack to her shoulders. "Be good, Shippou-chan! Goodbye!" She waved as she made her way towards the Goshinboku where she knew Inuyasha would be lounging on a limb.

"Inuyasha! I'm leaving now. I'll be back in three days. Thank you again for being understanding." Kagome smiled up at the sour-faced hanyou.

"Feh! I don't know why you like these "tests" so much. Just be sure you get back here in three days. The jewel shards aren't going to find themselves you know!" Inuyasha retorted without looking down at her. Instead he looked up at the slowly darkening sky, devoid of any presence of the moon.

Kagome followed his gaze and did a quick calculation in her head. 'Oh no! There's a new moon tonight,' she said to herself. Her dark blue-eyes drifted back to the hanyou, this time filled with concern for his well-being and safety.

~*~
When the daylight's gone
Andyou're on your own
And you need a friend
Just to be around
~*~

"Inuyasha?" Kagome asked softly.

"Eh?" Inuyasha finally looked at her.

Kagome smiled and reached out her hand. "Why don't you come with me?"

~*~
I will comfort you
I will take your hand
AndI'll pull you through
I will understand
~*~

Inuyasha stared blankly at her, which made the young Miko self-conscious. Enough so that she felt her cheeks grow hot with embarrassment. She can only imagine how red-faced she was getting. But what she didn't know was…

Inuyasha was overwhelmed. He fought a battle with himself so that he wouldn't show it. Each new moon brought him inner turmoil and for some time now, he has been growing more and more uneasy during the few hours he is in what he considers his "weaker" form. But to be asked… by her… his Kagome… that was sweeter than any honey that any bee can create.

~*~
Andyou know that
I'll be at your side
There's no need to worry
Together we'll survive
Through the haste and hurry
~*~

Through the scrutiny, Kagome tried not to look away. Instead, she continued to hold out her hand to her friend. She will remain steadfast.

~*~
I'll be at your side
When you feel like you're alone
Oryou've nowhere to turn
I'll be at your side
~*~

The young Miko was determined. She will guarantee his safety tonight. "Onegai, Inuyasha?"

~*~
If life's standing still
Andyour soul's confused
And you cannot find
What road to choose
~*~

Inuyasha nodded and leaped to the ground. He didn't take her proffered hand but reached out to take the heavy backpack from her shoulders. "Let's go, Kagome." The hanyou simply said.

~*~
If you make mistakes
Youwon't let me down
I will still believe
I won't turn around
~*~

Kagome turned her face so that the hanyou wouldn't see the disappointment that she was feeling. She began to make her way to the well.

Inuyasha fell within steps with her a moment later. With a little tumult in his heart, he reached out to her hand and loosely clasped it. He waited with bated breath to see if she will return the gesture.

~*~
Andyou know that
I'll be at your side
There's no need to worry
Together we'll survive
Through the haste and hurry
~*~

Kagome blushed crimson when she felt her hand embraced by his. She looked down, at their clasped hands, unable to look at Inuyasha. Inside, her heart sang a million love songs at once.

~*~
I'll be at your side
If you feel like you're alone
Andyou've nowhere to turn
I'll be at your side
~*~

Inuyasha averted his face a little. His felt the warmth on his cheek and prayed that Kagome won't see the pink tingeing his cheeks. But he could have sworn that his heart skipped a beat when he felt her fingers around his. Inside, he felt like he just conquered the world many times over.

~*~
I'll be at your side
I'll be at your side
~*~

Together, hand in hand, they jumped into the well.

~*~
I'll be at your side
There's no need to worry
Together we'll survive
Throughthe haste and hurry
~*~

~*~*~*~

~* Higurashi House, 1 a.m. in the morning*~

Kagome yawned after she finished calculating the last math problem on her paper. She turned to look at her alarm clock to check the time. 'Gosh, I've been working for 3 hours straight! I wonder how Inuyasha is…' She looked behind her and smiled.

She got up from her chair and stretched before walking by the side of her bed. She gazed down at the slumbering hanyou, whose face looked so young, innocent, and free of the tension that seemed to follow him everywhere. She smiled as she reached out to brush tendrils of his deep black hair off his face. 'Sleep well, Inuyasha, you're safe now.'

~*~
I'll be at your side
If you feel like you're alone
You'vegot somewhere to go
'Cos I'm at your side
I'll be at your side
~*~

Inuyasha stirred awake. At first he was confused as to where he was and wondered why a blanket covered him.

He felt Kagome's presence and turned to look at her. He found her sitting on the floor with her head tucked in her arms on the side of the bed, fast asleep.

He reached out a clawed hand towards her and brushed his hand over her raven-black tresses. "Arigato, Kagome," he whispered.

~*~
I'll be right there for you
I'll be right there for you
Atyour side
~*~


Glossary:
Arigato - Thank you
Hanyou - Half-human/Half-demon
Onegai - Please


Format revision Jan. 2004