InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Avoidance ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
 
Well, I have had a bit of a rest from writing for a bit, but now it's time to continue with the situation between Kagome, Inuyasha and Koga. So, sit back and enjoy as I present to you what's just as much a surprise to me as it is to you ;-D
 
 
Chapter 9
 
 
(Inuyasha's POV)
 
I sat and listened a bit more to the breeze and the sounds from the trees. He was getting closer by the minute. Night had already fallen, and time was running short. I then slid open the nearest window and leapt into the nearest trees, heading towards the wolf. There was no way I was going to let him see the mansion. I planned to hide it from him, to keep Kagome's location a secret from everyone. I leapt effortlessly from branch to branch, stopping only to sniff for his location, and listen for snaps of branches.
 
Catching his movements, I shot off in his direction. A couple leaps later, we found each other as I swiped with my claws and he threw a missing punch. We landed on branches across from each other and panted.
 
“You…You locked the windows and the door to her apartment!” he shouted at me, supposedly making a point.
 
“Yes, I did. That is not your apartment, and you have no right to trespass on her property!” I spat.
 
“Shut up! You barely even know my neighbor! You have her, don't you? Did you kidnap her? Are you holding her for ransom?” he asked, crossing his arms.
 
“No, I know her better than you do. And she is not my captor she's my ward. She asked me to protect her from you, as a matter of fact.” I replied with a smirk as a fang rested beyond my lip.
 
“Sure, I doubt that. You've been nothing but a jerk to her, how can she willingly ask you to watch over her?”
 
“Simple. I'm not stalking her. I did push her away for a while, but when I saw her reaction to your advances, I had to step in. Women are not to be treated like meat we could eat when we feel like it.”
 
“You think that's what I see in her?”
 
“Yes. Why else would a woman react to a guy standing in her way? Something's not right here. I'm not gonna just stand by and watch while you victimize her,” I stated as I mimicked his stance.
 
“You know nothing about us. Don't presume I am after her because she's fertile.” Koga stated as his arms dropped to his sides.
 
“Then why are you obsessed with her?” I asked.
 
“Haven't you sensed it yet?”
 
“Sensed what?” I asked curiously.
 
“The energy surrounding her, her scent, her abilities. She's no ordinary human. Something about her attracts me and I'm sure you're just as obsessed over it as I am. I smell her all over you, mutt. Have you mated with her yet or something?” the wolf asked as he sniffed me.
 
“I have not mated with anyone. I do sense something about her, but I feel the need to protect her, not take her. From the condition of her clothes in her bedroom, I would have to say your body wants her more than your soul.”
 
“You're wrong, it's her energy still radiating from those clothes and anything she's touched that attracts me to that room. Also, her scent calms me somewhat.”
 
“Yeah, right. Like I'm going to believe that. Listen, in any case, she feels safe with me. I suggest you walk away from here and forget about her. If ya want, you can keep one pair of panties, but that's it!” I shouted as I leapt at him, my talons the weapon of choice once again.
 
Koga leapt from the branch before I was able to swipe at him, and then kicked me hard in the face, knocking me down to the ground, my body hitting like a ton of bricks. “Ya know I believe you are just as bad as I am, keeping her in solitude, protecting her from the world, and not just from me. Keeping her from any being that could sense her abilities, her purity, and her energy which is so rich and enticing.”
 
“What do you plan to do to her, you freak?” I groaned as I knelt from the ground with a glare.
 
“I plan to ask her to be my woman,” the wolf said proudly with a smile.
 
“Tsch…Like she ever would, you disturbed wolf pup!” I spat as I drew my sword and poised to attack.
 
“Ooo…a demonic sword. Geeze, can't you fight me like a man with your fists and feet?” Koga asked as he leapt up and prepared to attack from above. I awakened the wind and unleashed the Wind Scar towards him.
 
“You aint gonna get close enough to fight me man to man, asshole!” I shouted as he kicked off a nearby branch and redirected himself just in time.
 
“Damn! What the hell was that you just shot at me?” Koga asked as he landed a few feet away.
 
“My Wind Scar,” I stated as I stood glaring at him.
 
“Well, we'll just have to settle this later. Don't think I'm gonna let you off so easily, mutt! I'll get Kagome back, just you watch!” he shouted over his shoulder as he leapt the other direction back towards the city.
 
I sheathed the Tetsussaiga and headed back to the mansion to tell Kagome of the news. No doubt, he was planning to bring friends this next time. And, on top of that, I will need to stay on my guard at all times from this point on. There's no telling when he will return.
 
 
@*@
 
(Kagome's POV)
 
 
I looked at my watch, and saw he had left an hour ago. I hadn't heard any sounds since he left, but I also have no clue as to whether or not anything has occurred. As far as I can tell, he never left the mansion. I grabbed my bedding and began to lay it out for bedtime to focus on something else for a few minutes.
 
Ever since he closed the shoji, nerves have been ruling my stomach. Butterflies have been unsettling me, and I have been biting my nails to the skin. This whole time, I had remained completely silent, not moving much, and watching the door as the burning candle light flickered on the shoji.
 
Once the bedding was set out completely, I laid myself between the futon and the coverlet. My head rested upon the pillow as I turned onto my side, cradling my knees to my chest. After a few minutes, still no footsteps. Tears began to fall from my eyes, and I began to sniffle. Sure, Inuyasha is a strong half demon, but still, he stated that Koga is a full demon, and that could mean that he possesses more strength than Inuyasha. `Course, Inuyasha would never say that.
 
As I closed my eyes, images of the fight flashed through my mind. Images of punches being thrown, kicking, falling, scratching, blood splattering…violence. I began to cry softly as my body cuddled the blanket tighter to my chest.
 
Suddenly, I stopped. I heard them. Footsteps headed toward my room. I covered myself with the blanket and froze, not taking a breath. The shoji slid open and I heard slight panting. I remained still as the person walked in, towards where I was laying. I braced myself for the horror, when the person sat down beside me, not touching me.
 
“Kagome, it's me, Inuyasha,” I heard. I sat up, throwing the blanket away and threw my arms around him and let myself go. “Whoa, it's okay. I'm fine!”
 
“I'm glad. I was so worried, you were gone for so long,” I replied as sobs shook my voice.
 
“Well, we fought, but barely. As soon as I pulled Tetsussaiga from the sheath and released my Wind Scar, he got scared and ran home,” he stated nonchalantly.
 
I pulled away to look him in the eyes, “Then why were you gone for so long?” I asked.
 
“We talked more than anything else. Turns out, he's attracted not to you but to something, he can't explain. He thinks I feel the same way, and that I plan to keep you to myself as he does, only worse.”
 
“Only worse? Why is he comparing your ideals to his?”
 
“I don't know. He thinks I want to keep you close so that I can mate with you.”
 
“Well, do you plan to?” I asked causing silence to fill the room.
 
“No.” I looked down, thinking that I could now relax a bit more. “Not now anyway. I'm not planning anything. I'm only reacting on instinct to the situation. That wolf's a freak, and I fear for his motives.”
 
“How do you feel about this with me? What do you want with me?” I asked out of curiosity.
 
“It's hard to explain. I know that I have not planned any of this, and it's all been a bit surprising. As far as what I want from you, there's nothing.” I looked up in shock as he continued, “I have not needed anything from you specifically. Sure, it's been nice having someone here with me, but as far as services... Nothing.”
 
“What do you mean by services?” I asked with a strange look on my face.
 
“You know what I mean. I will not be asking you for sex! He thinks I plan to make you my mate!”
 
“Oh. So you're not attracted to me?” I asked strangely.
 
“I didn't say that.”
 
“Sure, you didn't. You just made me feel a bit ugly is all, not that it matters to you anyways,” I replied as I turned off to the side.
 
“You're not ugly, and I never said you were.”
 
“Well, you're not attracted to me, though.”
 
“And you're hurt by that?” he asked suddenly, baiting me for more.
 
“Yes! Why wouldn't I be?”
 
“What's your problem?!”
 
“It's because I'm attracted to you, dummy!” I shouted as I turned to lean on my right hand to glare at him. The look on his face was priceless. He was obviously stunned by that answer, and wasn't expecting it. “Why else would I want YOU to protect me from him? Because his love is one-sided! I do not want to have anything to do with him!”
 
“S-so y-you want me?” he stuttered in shock.
 
“Yes. Is there something wrong with that? Is my love one-sided?” I asked, putting him on the spot.
 
He looked away as he answered with, “I don't know how to answer that.” I looked away embarrassed. I had just professed my feelings towards him, and he obviously didn't feel the same.
 
“Just tell me you don't love me, I can take it,” I suggested, showing some backbone.
 
“No, it's not that, honestly. Plus, we were talking about Koga anyways. When did this become about us?”
 
“When you said he thinks your goal is the same as his, and saying that got me curious,” I replied softly.
 
“Well, it's not the same as his, since he plans to make you his mate.”
 
“Wouldn't you like one too?” I asked since I had been wondering about him living alone in this mansion for hundreds of years.
 
“Well, I hadn't thought about love since Kikyo died. She was the one I wanted to mate with, and then Naraku destroyed that for us completely. Plus, even if I did find a woman to mate with, I'd outlive her, anyways. With Kikyo, I promised to wish on the jewel to become human so that we could live together in peace, and die together as well. Ever since then, I have decided to accept that it's not going to be an option since I can't allow myself to fall in love with a mortal, for fear of losing love again.”
 
“Oh. I had no idea you felt that way. So, what would you rather do when this is all over?” I asked in concern.
 
“I don't know at this point. I don't mind you being around, and I feel I have a purpose while you're here, but if you leave, I will end up going back to the way things were. Planning for those trips around the world every month to avoid the new moon.”
 
“I see. Do you think your heart could possibly change at all?” I asked curiously.
 
“I don't know. All I do know is you're presence comforts me a bit. To the point where I feel I can tell you anything.”
 
“I bet it's nice to have someone to talk to, ne?” I replied, and we both chuckled at the thought.
 
“You could say that. All I want right now is to keep you safe from anyone who poses a threat to you. You see, with the times being as peaceful as they are, I have no purpose if I'm not protecting others,” he explained as he smiled slightly in relaxation.
 
“Good. I'm glad to be your watch, since it gives you a chance to be a man,” I giggled.
 
“Hey!” he spat as he then pounced me and began tickling me. We both laughed and wrestled on the futon for a few minutes, and then ended up cuddling under the blanket.
 
His warmth was inviting, and I felt so safe and loved, even if he claimed, he doesn't feel the same way. I will wittle him down yet. “That reminds me, are you ready to tell me where you came from?” Damnit, he would have to ask that and spoil the comfortable moment.
 
I sighed as I replied with, “Can't you ask me when you're not cuddling and comforting me?”
 
His arms retreated from my body as he then propped himself up and eyed be seriously. `Damnit!' “How about now? I'm ready to listen.”
 
I sat up and pulled the blanket over my legs as I began with, “My family owned and ran a shrine not to far from here. I am originally from Tokyo, but once my grandfather died; my mother sold the shrine, and took my brother and I to live in a small town near Osaka. My brother and I grew up there and once I graduated from middle school that was when things got difficult.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“It's hard to explain. I guess I became attractive.”
 
“Well, yeah. You grew up, and that's part of developing.”
 
“No, that's not what I mean.” The look on his face became one of confusion. “I mean, men became attracted to me. I was still a teenager at that time.”
 
“Oh. Sick bastards.”
 
I giggled at his reaction and then continued, “Yeah, really. Well, it began to get hard to be out alone, and my brother could only stand up for me every now and then, since he was a few grades behind me. So, once I became of age I was asked to just move to another town on my own.”
 
“Alone…”
 
“Yes, alone.”
 
“Why would you want to leave your family alone? That's just asking for it!”
 
“I know, but that was when I became a flight attendant. I was able to travel, and not be in the same place for too long. Also, I was in a profession where I can't be touched by law. So, I really am protected. Least, I was until I met you,” I said shyly.
 
“'Til you met me? What do you mean?” he asked confused.
 
“You see, Koga got defensive because he had seen interaction between us, and that was when he confronted me as if he owned me. All I knew of him, was he was my next-door neighbor who had helped me often, and I had seen almost everywhere. Sure, he made offers often, and that annoyed me. However, when he confronted me, I saw such jealousy in his eyes, and it dripped like venom from the words he said to me.”
 
“So then, he hasn't done anything to you as of yet?” he asked as he sat up.
 
“No, not yet. But he's not the first man who has been jealous over me. He may not have touched me yet, but they have…”
 
“What?!” he exclaimed as he reached for my shoulder. “Explain that to me, please.”
 
“I left that town and came back here, hoping to be safe. Inuyasha, I was assaulted one afternoon by a group of older men. I became known as a girl to go for in the ways of an adult manner by a group of men who owned a bar in our neighborhood. You see, when my Grandfather died, and we sold the shrine, it wasn't enough to buy a home, only to rent above a general store in a not so desirable part of the town. My mother apologized over and over since it was all she could afford, and my brother learned martial arts to protect me, but it was impossible to protect me from more than one man.”
 
“What's happened to your family since you left? Do you talk with them?” he asked as he laid his other hand on my other shoulder.
 
“My mother left and I lost contact with them. You see, I couldn't tell them where I was going out of fear if they were confronted. They wanted it that way. Mom handed me money, and told me to just go wherever the money can take me to be safe.”
 
“Just out of curiosity, which shrine was it your mother had to sell?”
 
“I don't know. I was too young to remember which one. Mom just said it was here in Tokyo. It had been one of my goals, to find out where I truly came from, but no one knows which one was sold 23 years ago, or who to,” I explained as Inuyasha sat back a bit, as if he was remembering something.
 
“Ya know, I do remember a shrine being sold in this area around that long ago,” he mentioned as he looked off towards the ceiling.
 
“Which one?” I asked curiously, hoping it was nearby.
 
“To be completely honest, this shrine was sold around that time,” he pointed out in the direction of the shrine with the old well and the tree of ages.
 
“This one? Were there any others?” I asked
 
“I don't know about any of the other shrines in Tokyo. To be honest, I wasn't really paying attention to all that happened there, as far as the family was concerned, but I do remember seeing a `for sale' sign on it at one point. Then, the sign disappeared about a month or so later. I have no idea who bought the grounds, but it was never kept up after the original owners left.”
 
“I was only 3 when the shrine was sold, and Souta was just a baby. When I got a little older, mom would take us to visit it, and pray at the foot of the old tree. My brother and I left her alone and played on the grounds. She ended up speechless whenever we asked her about why she prayed every time we went there. When I got older, it became difficult to come out here to see the old shrine. My mother never told us which shrine we once lived at. Strangely enough, we've never gone to a graveyard to pray at Grandfather's grave. My mother became speechless each time we asked, so we just stopped asking.” I explained sullenly as Inuyasha listened intently.
 
“Ya know it very well may be this very shrine you left behind. Maybe we should do some investigating in the morning,” he mentioned as he then directed me to lie back down. Once I nodded and laid down, he covered me with the blanket and then walked over the wall a couple feet away and sat against it.
 
“Are you going to watch me the whole night?” I asked.
 
“I'm not leaving this room. I'm not sure when Koga plans to return, so I'm going to be here with you until things change,” he stated as he leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes.
 
I watched him for a few moments, noticing that he had rested the sword against his right shoulder. I hadn't even noticed it was with him when he had held me, and spoke with me. As I watched him, I saw images in my mind. It seemed as if I was seeing something not of this time. I closed my eyes and focused on his form as the image flowed into my mind. What I saw was a calming scene.
 
I saw him dressed all in red, sitting against a tree just as he is now, with the flicker of firelight silhouetting his calm face. The crackle of the unseen fire filling the background as he sat and concentrated on his surroundings. Where he was, I have no clue. What time this was, I know not either. But the scene in my mind coaxed me to sleep as I watched Inuyasha stand guard the whole night long in the camp as if I was there before.
 
 
@*@
 
 
 
Well, this was certainly an interesting chapter to write. Yeah, turns out Koga reacted similar to how he did to Tetsussaiga as he did in the series, but it makes sense. I'm guessing we can expect to see his wolf kin make an appearance in the near future. `Til then, keep watching, for in two weeks, there will be more. Thanks for reading, and I certainly hope this chapter was enjoyable. `Til next time, ja ne!