InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Away Again ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, I've returned, much to my dismay. It means none of my other muses are at work. A shame, isn't it?
By the way, this chapter will be longer.
(I hope.)
Oh, and if anyone has any new title ideas, I'm willing to accept. I'm not fond of this one.
By the way, am I allowed to call Inuyasha's outfit a kimono? I think they did that in the show once. I'm going to. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Away Again
Chapter the Second In which a certain hanyou makes a discovery, and so does a certain human
Kumi was treated with some food when they arrived at the village. Kaede made a strong tea, and Miroku and Sango sat down with her to talk. The two boys (named Ichiro and Sachio) began with Kumi on her strange apparel, then moved onto annoying their mother.
 
“Inuyasha is not here?” Miroku asked.
“No,” the elderly woman said. “He gets restless at times. He goes off, picks some fights, and comes back.”
 
“How long ago did he take off?”
 
“A few days. He'll return soon.”
 
Sango struggled to keep the small children from tipping her tea.
 
“And what of this girl…?”
 
“Kumi,” she answered quickly, staring at her tea.
 
“Yes…” Kaede gave her a long glance. “Where did you find her?”
 
She was around the well,” Miroku said with a small grin. “She looked distressed, so we brought her here.”
 
“A coincidence?”
 
They glanced at her again. Kumi bristled.
 
“Where exactly is here?” she asked loudly.
 
Kaede just shook her head. Kumi huffed and sat back, glowering. No one was telling her a thing.
 
“The day is growing dark,” the old priestess murmured. “Rest would do you some good. In the morning, you can show us where you entered.”
 
Kumi eyed the adults carefully. This whole or deal was… off. But she imagined this all being a dream, and in the morning she'd find out she simply hit her head or something like that on the bottom of the well.
 
Yeah, she smiled. That would be alright.
 
---
 
Kagome laughed into the phone.
 
“Oh, no,” she assured her husband on the other end. “She's perfectly alright. It's been so long since I've visited my family… No! There's really no need for that. Besides,” her voice dropped to a false whisper, “my mother's had no one to care for since Souta moved into his dorm. And she'll need some help around the shrine. It's best if we stay here for a few days.”
 
She paused another moment.
 
“Of course not!” Another laugh. “If anything I should be worried about you! I've tasted your cooking.”
 
There was some more laughter.
 
“Alright. I'll call you again later. Love you.”
 
Kagome's mother smiled as she finished the lunches she'd been working on.
 
“Are you going in after her?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “I tried. No good. We'll have to wait for her to find her way back.”
 
“She'll be alright?” Souta called. “You went through a lot.”
 
“She'll be freaking out.” Kagome chuckled at the thought of her daughter in one of her tantrums. After a few minutes, she'd give up and start walking around. “Kaede's village is nearby. It won't be a problem.”
 
She hoped.
 
--
 
Sango let out a relieved sigh as her boys fell asleep. Miroku wrapped his arm around her waist, kissing her gently on the lips. She smiled, pulling him closer, and breathing in his warm scent.
 
“It's scary,” she murmured, “How much she looks like Kagome.”
 
“What do you suppose Inuyasha will say?”
 
She responded by nibbling his ear, sending shivers through his body. He pressed closer, kissing her neck and biting her skin. His lips moved down her shoulder, exposing her skin. The warm skin prickled at his touch.
 
“Miroku,” she gasped. “We're being interrupted.”
 
He stopped with a sigh and let her go, kissing her cheek. “I was hoping you hadn't noticed.”
 
She giggled, moving to put on her battle gear. There was a demonic presence moving all too quickly towards the village.
 
“Shall you get it or should I?” he asked casually.
 
“It's been a while since I've gotten a workout…” She gave him a sly smile. “But I do enjoy a bit of help.”
 
Of course he followed after her. She liked to work up a sweat. It got her in the mood for… other things.
 
They found the demons quickly. Two slug-looking things, slithering towards the village, a look of fear across their features. An instant later, there was a call of “Kaze no Kizu,” and the demons were ripped apart where they stood. Both gave a sigh of disappointment.
 
“He gets all the fun, doesn't he,” Sango complained.
 
“Yes, but it makes our job easier.”
 
“Damn right!” shouted the expected hanyou as he stepped forward. He slung his sword over his shoulder, surveying the damage.
 
“Inuyasha's back,” Sango noted.
 
“A shame,” Miroku sighed. “We were just starting to get comfortable.”
 
Inuyasha frowned and sheathed his sword. “If you two are done, I'm hungry. Got any grub?”
 
It was the best greeting they could expect from the half-demon.
 
---
 
“So…” Inuyasha crossed his arms. “A girl came out of the well? What's her name?”
 
“I think she said Kumi,” Sango answered.
 
The hanyou thought a moment then let out a wide yawn. “Whatever. It's late.”
 
Sango and Miroku narrowed their eyes. As if they hadn't noticed.
 
---
 
Kumi picked at the strange clothes Kaede had given her. The dress was made of an uncertain material, and she hated the fact that she couldn't move in the damn thing.
 
I hate this stupid place, she thought. Why can't I just wake up and go home?
 
Maybe, answered her brain, this isn't a dream.
 
Well, that didn't make any sense. Of course it was a dream. It had to be. How else could she explain all this?
 
So when she finally tracked down the miko, monk, and demon-slayer, she planned to finally get some answers.
 
Instead, she ran into a newcomer. Literally.
 
She walked two feet outside and slammed into someone else.
 
I am so not in the mood for this.
 
Kumi fixed herself to get a good shout going at whoever was stupid enough to cross her at that moment, when she stopped.
 
A man stood in front of her, dressed in a red kimono. A sword was sheathed at his side, and he had tangled silver hair down to his shoulders.
 
But the strangest thing about him…
 
He had two dog ears poking out of his head.
 
So, Kumi did what any normal person would do.
 
She reached up…
 
…And petted them.
 
There was a strange look across the man's face. He was staring at her as if he recognized her, and as if the action had scared him.
 
Which, in reality, it had.
 
Because he knew Kagome's first action in this world was the same.
 
And this girl was an exact replica of the fifteen year old Kagome he'd once known.
 
Kumi was also put off by another fact.
 
She knew her mother's eyes were a light blue, always smiling. At times, she'd noticed a certain melancholy in them, but that was not the point at this moment in time.
 
Her father also had blue eyes, slightly darker, a bit more like the Miroku character's. His reacted the same way as her mother's, giving away his emotions.
 
But, contrary to the expectations, Kumi was not born with blue eyes, or brown eyes, or any other normal eye color they might've expected from their family.
 
Kumi had been born with sharp golden eyes, ones that had caused her to be taunted, adored, and regarded as strange at points, but she never really noticed how different that was. It was never fully explained to her how she managed such a strange eye color, and she never thought to ask.
 
But now, as she stared at this strange dog-eared man, she noticed that his eyes were the same bright gold.
 
Notes:
Okay, that was a horrible place to stop. But I'm trying to update, upload, make new stories, keep old ones… Honestly, my brain is going to melt.
I did, however, get farther in Breeder's Choice, for those anxiously awaiting the next chapter. I realize now, my plot is shotty, so I'm working on fixing that.
This plot… less action-y, which is fine. I've never been truly great at action sequences, but I've definitely gotten better.
And as of late, I can't seem to write for straight couples. Don't ask me why.
So, yeah. You know what to do.