InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Baby Love ❯ Baby Love ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Baby Love


She could hear him humming as she neared the hut. The soft tune caught at her heart, drawing her inside, out of the chilly autumn air.

The melody was now familiar to her, one he'd claimed his mother had sung when rocking him to sleep. Though he'd never known the words, the soothing notes carried a wealth of emotion that rendered them unnecessary.

As quietly as she could, she resettled the mat over the door and removed her shoes, leaving them on the floor. She deposited the parcel she'd brought with her on the low table in the main room, then tiptoed towards the other room.

A tender smile graced her features as she leaned against the doorway, watching him.

His back was to her, flickering candlelight casting shadows across the floor beneath him. He was slowly shifting back and forth, crooning in time with the way he moved.

She stood still as he began to turn, wanting a few more moments to just admire him. He stopped halfway, when the tiny, blanket-wrapped bundle in his arms moved. A smile curved his lips as he spoke softly. "You're getting hungry, hmm?" He continued humming, still swaying in time. "Your mom should be back soon..."

A tiny cry echoed in the room, for seconds only drowning out the quiet tune. "Shh... " he soothed, moving one arm from around the infant to run a finger down its cheek.

"Ow!" he muttered a moment later, quickly moving the free hand and sucking on his finger to soothe it.

She tried not to giggle, bringing one hand up to cover her mouth. The movement caught his attention, and he turned to her, wide-eyed, the finger still in his mouth.

She dropped her hand and bit her lip, trying, but failing, to hide her smile.

"He bite you again?" she asked quietly, moving into the room as he gave her a mock-glare.

"How long have you been standing there?" Though his tone was low, she could still hear the slight accusation. This was most likely one of the only nights she would manage to sneak up on him. He usually knew when she was coming long before she got so close.

"Not long," she assured him, reaching up to kiss him on the cheek.

"He's hungry." The baby gave another cry as if to emphasize his father's words.

"Did you figure that out before or after he bit your finger?" she teased, fussing with the blanket.

"Why you--"

"I love you."

As usual, the words stopped anything else he might've said. She gave him a smile, then took the infant from him. She rocked her son in her arms, making soft cooing noises as he blinked at her with eyes that matched his father's.

"I know."

She looked back up, one brow raised at his tiny smirk. "Oh, you do, do you?" It was an old line he used to taunt her with, from the first time she'd told him how she felt. And every time since, she pretended to take the bait, knowing he'd make it up to her later.

"Mmm-hmm."

She turned away, nose slightly in the air as she moved out of the room. The baby was beginning to squirm in her arms and fuss, demanding to be fed. She bounced slightly as she walked, hoping to soothe him before he started wailing.

Before she could get very far, a pair of strong, warm arms, came around her from behind. "I love you, too," was murmured in her ear, accompanied by a soft kiss to her temple.

She smiled and leaned into him. "I know," she threw back at him, turning her head to kiss his jaw before moving away to prepare the baby's supper.

"Keh," he snorted, folding his arms over his chest. It was a customary gesture, though the soft expression with which he watched her was a more recent addition.

She looked up and blew him a kiss before the crying baby drew her attention away once more.