InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Because Of Little Fish ❯ Another Dream ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or any of the other characters. I have, however, created a new character that's not me that I've added to spice things up a bit. Have fun!
 
 
 
chihiro-san: Last chapter.
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
 
Grevaria swung her blade in an experienced, yet ineffective, way. Inu Yasha dodged it easily, allowing him ample time to slam her into the ground. Planting his bum firmly on her, he settled down for a little rest on her back and decided to chat.
 
“So, Grevaria, what was that about `telling me when I'm dead'?” He smirked down at her. She snarled and spat at his perky face, struggling with all of her might.
 
“Damn you!” She shrieked.
 
“Now, now. No swearing. What would your mother say?” Something in his words struck home for her. She stopped squirming, shuddered, and went limp. His smile quickly dissipated and was replaced with slight concern. Miroku seemed to read Grevaria's mind, because as soon as Inu Yasha began to stand, Miroku about had a conniption fit and leapt to his feet.
 
“NO, INU YASHA! It's a trap! Don't st - “ His sentence was cut short because Inu Yasha was cut short. Literally. He, thinking that he had hurt his long dead friend, eased up off of her, giving her enough space to wiggle her sword loose and stab him in the gut. A deranged, crooked smile fell onto her face as she withdrew her weapon. The hanyou fell to his knees, not just in pain, but in shock.
 
“Gr…Grevvy…” he whispered, staring at a thistle in the grass; not daring to look up. She hopped to her feet with nervousness.
 
“D-don't call me that,” she snapped.
 
“Why not? It's your name.”
 
“No it's not! Stop it!”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because I have to kill you!”
 
“Why?”
 
“Stop saying `why'!” she screamed. The air rang with silence as the two linked eyes. It seemed that they could have stared (or glared, as the case may have been) for hours. They probably would have, but just after Grevaria's yell the sun's fiery fingers tickled the sky. Total fear overcame the vengeful girl. She stared at the sunrise as if it was a poisoness cloud.
 
“No…not yet. It can't be morning yet…He's not dead. NO! NOT YET!” She gaped at the golden clouds in fright. Sango shot Miroku a sidelong glace and twisted a finger by her ear. Miroku nodded, but didn't turn his gaze from Grevaria.
 
“What's the matter? Afraid of a little sun?” Inu Yasha taunted, spotting a weakness.
 
“No, but at sunrise…he comes,” she closed her eyes and braced herself, as if expecting to be hit upside the face with a frying pan.
 
“He? What he? Er, I mean, which he?” Inu Yasha didn't need to wait very long for an answer. Directly behind him floated a voice that made his blood boil.
 
“Hello, baby brother. Do you like my new toy?” Inu Yasha whipped around to see Sesshomaru standing naught a yards' length away.
 
“What do you mean `toy'?” the hanyou spat.
 
“`Toy' might not have been the best word. I believe that a better one would be `puppet'.”
 
“Who's puppet is she?!”
 
“Mine…for the most part. The only difference between this girl,” he waltzed slowly over to her and placed a clawed hand on her trembling shoulder, “and any ordinary demon puppet is that the strings I use to control her are heart strings. She's out to kill you because of her own hate, not because I'm forcing her to.”
 
“I'm sorry, my Lord; I could not kill him in time. I did, however, slice the girl like you requested.”
 
“Your failure will not be overlooked. Go join Jakken and Rin.”
 
“Yes, my lord.” She turned to leave, yet stopped, trembling all over. Every inch of her felt like it was on fire. “No,” she spat.
 
“No?” Sesshomaru queried.
 
“NO!” The golden light from her eyes slowly drained away. Tears coursed down her face, unchecked. “NO, NO, NO! I can't let you do this! I lost him once from my death; I can't lose him again! Inu Yasha!” she sobbed, whipping around to face him. “Inu Yasha, I hated you so much! I blamed you for my death, but know I know that it was me! I made us stay out there on that dock. I startled you by grabbing your hand. You're not to blame, and I know that now! I don't hate you, Inu Yasha! I love you!” He stared at her with misted eyes, gripping his gaping stomach wound just a little tighter.
 
“Grevaria…” he exhaled, his face screwed up with pain.
 
“I'm sorry, Inu Yasha. I'm s-ungh!” she grunted. Sesshomaru had withdrawn his demon blade and run it through her chest. The wolf demon slumped forward onto the ground. Blood cascaded out of her, painting the white marble beneath her and trickling into the flowerbeds.
 
“GREVVY!” The hanyou exclaimed. A shot of pain ran through his body, doubling him over.
 
“Hm. She was weaker than I imagined,” Sesshomaru sighed. “I am most displeased. We shall finish another day.” With that, the dog demon sheathed his sword and withdrew into the morning mist. The group of friends looked at Inu Yasha in shock. What had happened between him and that girl?
 
With what strength he had left, Inu Yasha clawed his way over to the body, still clenching his wound. His nose wrinkled at the smell of her blood. It was unbelievable how much of it there was.
 
“Ungh…” she noised, twitching. He fell to the ground in front of her, unable to keep himself upright any longer. Hand shaking, he reached out and lifted her face up to see him. A thin line of red oozed out from the corner of her mouth. Her eyes were clouded over. What little life that Sesshomaru gave back to her was wiped away. He bit his lip with frustration.
 
Suddenly, gracefully, her spirit rose from her corpse. It bent down in front of the wounded hanyou and smiled.
 
“Thank you, Inu Yasha. You always were stronger than me, even for a half-demon.” He looked up at her with sad eyes. “It's okay. I'm not angry anymore. That's what matters.”
 
“I… didn't mean to… push you,” he grunted.
 
“I know,” she smirked. She reached out, pressing a hand against his cheek. He felt nothing. “I'll miss you,” she whispered.
 
A strong wind whipped through the courtyard. The flowers all dropped their petals onto the breeze, sending up a sea of colour. For a second, the whole court was lost from sight by the flowers. When the gust dissipated, the group found that they were alone in a dead garden. Her spirit was gone.
 
In a fit of desperation, Inu Yasha tried to get to his feet. He stumbled forward before falling smack onto the marble. He clenched his teeth, trying frantically to contain a scream of agony. Though she was at peace, the part of him that had tried to forget that day ached anew. His old inner wound reopened.
 
Yet he knew that as a child he couldn't do any more for her than he did. She knew that too. In a strange way, that gave him some solace, and so he rested, slipping off into unconsciousness.
 
*
 
`Inu Yasha!' a girl's voice squealed. He felt his eyes flutter open. White swirled around him. Where was he? He stood and looked around. The white suddenly evaporated, revealing to him that he was standing on an old, creaking, weather-stained dock. He saw himself as a young boy, sitting at the edge, dangling his feet in the water.
 
`Look, Inu Yasha! Fishies!' squealed a little girl. It was Grevaria. She was sitting next to the young hanyou, pointing into the water. They giggled, trying to prod the fingerlings with their toes. Dark, foreboding clouds began to appear overhead.
 
“God damnit, not again!” Inu Yasha muttered. Then, for some odd reason, he noticed something. Grevaria's hair was tied up with a red ribbon instead of a green one. The little girl turned her head, staring at him with a smile. She got to her feet and pranced over to him.
 
“Psst! Hey, mister!” she hissed. He dropped to one knee beside her so that he could look into her eyes.
 
“Y-yeah?”
 
“Y'see that boy?” she whispered, pointing to his young self. Adult Inu Yasha nodded. “I'm gonna ask him to marry me some day!” she giggled into his ear. He felt himself turn beet red.
 
“Really,” he grunted. “He looks like just a puny squirt to me. Why would you want to marry him?” She glowered at him, indignantly placing her hands on her hips.
 
“He's not puny! He's big an' strong an' he's gonna be a big tough guy some day!” Inu Yasha looked at himself with a half-smile.
 
“Trust me, kid. He's not.”
 
“Oh yeah?” she growled, stomping her foot down, giving him a start. He was surprised by her feistiness. “You just watch! He's gonna grow up to be big an' strong and he's gonna… he's gonna beat you up!” He couldn't help himself. The hanyou burst out laughing. This just seemed to infuriate the little girl even more. She turned to the young half-demon with blazing anger in her eyes.
 
“Hey, Grevvy, let's go get summthin' to eat,” he grumbled, getting to his feet suddenly. The two youngsters smacked into each other, falling onto the dock. Inu Yasha gasped openly as he saw himself fall on top of the young girl, pinning her to the wooden boards. For a moment, no one moved. All of a sudden, Grevaria lifted her head up and kissed the little boy. The half-blood gawked at her with eyes the size of dinner plates.
 
“WHU-?!” the old Inu Yasha exclaimed.
 
“WHU-!?” his young counterpart echoed. Inu Yasha shook his head in dismay. He forgot how high-pitched his voice used to be.
 
“Uh…” noised the little girl. The young half-demon cried out in shock, leapt to his feet, and bolted to the village as if there were an army chasing after him. He didn't even look back.
 
“YES, boy! Run, run, run!!” laughed Inu Yasha. “Run like your butt's on fire!” He found this whole dream quite amusing. A drop of rain landed on his nose, rousing him from his giddiness. He turned to find Grevaria sitting at the edge of the dock, her head hung, crying. “Hey, at least you're not dead,” he snorted. Then, as if on cue, she stood up, fists clenched, and leapt into the water.
 
“WHAT THE HELL?!” he yelped, dashing to the edge of the dock. He watched as she floated momentarily at the surface. Hope glimmered in his eyes, yet it was dashed away. He saw her purposefully inhaling water. She was drowning herself.
 
“NO! What are you doing you stupid girl!? I was just being an immature boy! KNOCK IT OFF!” He cried, shooting out his hand to grab her. It went right through her.
 
“FUCK!” he exclaimed, jumping to his feet. The rain was cascading down now, enveloping the whole land in a dark wall of water. He turned around and came face to face with Grevaria. She was no longer the dead little girl, but the dead adolescent. Her eyes were hauntingly pale.
 
“Why did you do that?” he implored, panting from shock. She smiled.
 
“Love hurts. I was just a silly little girl. If you hadn't have pushed me off the dock by accident that fateful day, this scenario would have taken place. It was my day to die, Inu Yasha. I know now that you were just a scared little boy. You didn't have any feelings for me. In fact, you never will.”
 
“Well…” he grumbled, rubbing his arm nervously. “Doesn't mean I want you to die or nothin'…”
 
“Hah. Always subtle,” she laughed. They spent a moment smiling at each other awkwardly. “Don't worry,” she said at last. “I'm at peace, and there are people in your world now who care about you. Remember that, okay?” He nodded slowly. With a happy smile, she reached up and kissed his forehead. Icy cold water rushed from her mouth, dribbling down his face.
 
“Inu Yasha!” she said, her voice oddly distant. “Inu Yasha! Wake up!” His eyes fluttered open. Grevaria's image faded away, replaced by Kagome's. She had a kimono on and a rather large bandage across her chest. In her hand was a washcloth, and beside her, a bowl of water. “Oh good,” she sighed. “You're awake.”
 
He tried to sit up, but his head throbbed menacingly. Ignoring it (and Kagome's protests), he stood on wobbling legs and wandered out of the hut they were in. Unable to continue on, he leaned against the sidewall, doubled over, and heaved. The entire contents of his near-empty stomach splattered onto the grass at his feet. He continued to heave, though his gut was empty. He felt someone behind him reach over and hold back his hair.
 
“I'm sorry,” Kagome's voice whimpered. He squeezed his eyes shut before retching again. `It's gonna be a long day…' he thought dryly.
 
~*~*~*~
 
chihiro-san: All done! Hope you liked it.