InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Black as Night, White as Snow ❯ Meeting Him ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Was the last chapter satisfactory? I think it was one of my favorites to write. Thank you for any reviews and please enjoy!

.

.

.

.

.

.

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the story of Snow White. Anyone else notice I haven’t done anything witty for this thing for a long time? Do people even read these things?

.

.

.

Black as Night, White as Snow

.

.

,

--- Last Chapter ---

Kagome smiled as she rolled onto her back to stare at the ceiling.

“What does it matter,” she whispered almost inaudibly to herself. “I never plan on seeing him again and I have no reason to want to anyway.” Yeah, no reason. Kagome absently brushed her fingers against her lips before falling into a deep sleep.

That was one damn good kiss, though.

--- End of Last Chapter ---

.

.

.

Chapter Six: Meeting Him

.

.

.

“Kagome-sama, don’t open the-!”

“Door? I know, I know, Miroku! Do we have to go through this every morning?” Kagome asked sweetly.

Miroku huffed, “Don’t come crying to me when your hanyou shows up and...and...forces you to...er...dye your hair!”

Miroku really needed some new insult and threat material.

“’Your’ hanyou?” Kagome echoed faintly. “MINE? For Gods sake, Miroku! What is he, my dog?” Kagome gaped before quickly adding, “Not that anything happened!”

Sadly Sango pulled the grinning Miroku away before anything else could be said.

“G’bye!” Kagome waved cheerfully, her frustration already forgotten.

“Hn.” Naraku grumbled as they finally made their way to the mines. “Do we have to keep her?”

Sango gave him the evil eye. “Just because you aren’t fond of her, doesn’t mean the rest of us hate her!”

Naraku raised a very femininely groomed eyebrow. “I’m not ‘fond’ of her? Well that’s an understatement. She’s a miko! Not a trained one, but she’s still a miko!”

“Have ye forgotten what I be?” Kaede grumbled.

“An ancient hag?” Naraku took a wild stab in the dark.

It really is surprising how many hands it took to pry the ‘ancient hag’ of the whimpering evil hanyou.

.

---

.

“Mew?”

“Yeah, Kirara, you’re probably right. I should go and get the buckets. Do you think he’s still there?” Kagome asked as she closed the front door behind her after the dwarves had finally disappeared.

“Mew.”

“Well fine!” She huffed. “If you didn’t know, you could have just said so! No need to get so sarcastic,” Kagome rolled her eyes at the feline.

“Mew.”

“Fine, fine, I’m going. But if I get molested again,” ‘Not like I did, before’ “I’m blaming you!” Pointing an over-dramatic finger at Kirara, Kagome stalked from the back door. “Now I just have to get lost, find that spring again, and then get lost again to find that clearing. Which way did I go the first time?” Kagome said as she followed her woman’s intuition and wandered off.

.


Several hours later

.

“Do you think he’s gone?” Kagome whispered to the goldfinch on her shoulder that simply cocked its head back.

Her blue eyes darting everywhere in the clearing, Kagome tiptoed out of the covering of the trees. Kagome winced, as she regretted never advancing her miko powers that both her and Kikyou had shown to have when they were younger. Neither really felt the need to use them, but now Kagome wished she had taking the training. At least then she could sense if this ‘hanyou’ guy was still there.

‘No men grabbing me for a kiss yet. I think I’m safe!’ Kagome made a beeline for her seemingly untouched water.

Making the mistake of glancing to her left, she saw what made her heart speed up...probably from frustration. ‘Damn! He’s still here!’

.

Inuyasha nose twitched as a scent rushed in. ‘Wha szat?’ he questioned groggily. ‘It smells fresh and sweet, just like after a good-!’

“RAIN!” Inu bolted upwards. ‘Did I miss her? Was I asleep when she came to get those damn buckets?’ His amber gaze darting around and he caught a flash of blue. ‘Too much to be her eyes, so it has to be her kimono,’ somehow he remembered the color of her outfit even though he hadn’t been looking at it as he was too preoccupied staring at certain other things.

(::Cough, cough:: Naughty Inu-babe!)

.

Kagome winced. ‘I just had to wear a color that stood out! Why couldn’t I have worn the brown one? At least then I could have been mistaken for dirt!’

Maybe she was dreaming? Perhaps she was still curled up on the floor of the seven dwarves’ cottage, or better yet, maybe she was asleep back in her own bed?

‘Maybe I shouldn’t take the risk.’ Kagome asked herself. ‘Maybe if I leave, that guy won't follow and I can go safely back home. Maybe I’ll stop saying maybe!’

Rolling her eyes at her own thoughts, Kagome began to slowly back out of the clearing.

.

‘Where is she going? She’s just slinking away like a little rabbit with a fox after her...or a dog. Shit!’ Inuyasha mentally banged his head against a wall when he realized he was starring. ‘Oh yeah. That’s got to put her at ease! Some guy, who kissed her the day before (insert annoying dreamy expression), is staring at her. Right, like she’s been in this situation HUNDREDS of times before.’ He thought over what he just thought and grew angry. ‘Better have not happened before!’

Back to the problem at hand.

During his very...interesting...thought process, the mysterious girl had managed to back near the edge of the tree line.

“Wait!” Seemed to be the right word for the situation, so he used it. “Hang on a second!”

Inuyasha mentally cursed when his gruff voice caused the girl to stiffen before finally bolting away.

Seeing his ‘prey’ race off caused Inu to leap up and start after her. Amazingly, probably something to do with his non-human half, he made up to her in a few seconds.

Kagome, too busy glancing over her shoulder to see if the man had followed her, ran face first into his chest.

Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her to keep her in place so he could talk. “I said to ‘wait’,” he said quietly to the top of her hair. ‘Which smells really, really, really good. Oh yeah...’

“Uh...sorry?” Kagome tried lamely before looking up. “You know, um, I need to get home to, er, take care of my house for my, uh, husband! Yeah, that’s right, husband.”

Inuyasha felt a pang in roughly the area of his heart at the word ‘husband’ but took a big whiff. “You’re lying,” he stated simply.

Kagome screwed her eyes shut. ‘Damn the fact that dog demons have unbelievably strong noses! So lying is out.’ “Alright. How about I say I grew up with the saying ‘don’t talk to strangers’?”

Inuyasha snorted and roughly released the girl. “We all grow up with that saying. Like we ever actually use it.”

“Well,” Kagome huffed as she straightened her kimono. “I’m a good girl and I do as me mum tells me to!”

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at this. “Good?” he echoed.

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Yeah!”

“Somehow I highly doubt that.” Inuyasha was rapidly forgetting his feelings of wanting to do nothing but hold this ‘good girl’ in his arms and whisper sweet nothings while kissing her to death. “You should really listen when people tell you things.”

“Huh?”

Inuyasha growled. “The ‘wait’ command!”

“Oh, that. What am I, a puppy?” Kagome ground out. Inuyasha cocked his head in thought and Kagome burst out giggling.

“What?”

“If I’m a puppy, than you have to be more of one!” She gasped. This got rid of the tension and Inuyasha smirked.

“Are you a puppy kind of girl?”

“Not really. I like cats,” Kagome grinned.

Inuyasha mocked sighed. “Too bad. So wench-!”

---SMACK---

“WHAT IN THE HELLS WAS THAT FOR?”

“I AM NOT A WENCH!” Kagome yelled.

“I'll call you whatever the hells I want to! And what am I supposed to call you? ‘Girl’ or ‘Twit’?” Somehow he didn’t think he’d be calling her a twit any time soon. Of course he wouldn’t be using her ‘name’ that he’d come up with the day before. Something about her kissing and scent...

Kagome flushed, but not in embarrassment but in anger. “TWIT?” she roared. “I have a name, its-!” Kagome promptly snapped her mouth shut.

“What was that?” Inuyasha leaned forward while scowling. He’d come so close to getting her name.

“Never mind,” Kagome waved off the subject. Her anger dissipated and was replaced with her normal cheerfulness.

“Er...tell me!” Inuyasha demanded. He’d had enough of the nice guy act.

Kagome eyed him up and down. “What are you, a king? I don’t have to do what you say!” At least he didn’t look like a king with his fire rat haori and untied hakama pants.

“Actually, I’m a-!” Inuyasha began cockily before shutting his mouth.

“A what?” Kagome edged closer to him, giving him a sly look.

“No way! If you don’t tell me your name, I won’t give you mine. Or what I am!” he snapped.

Kagome rolled her eyes. “Well, I know you’re a half dog demon.”

“How’d you know that?” Inu glanced down at the petite woman who was currently watching a nearby dear.

“Well, Shippou-chan told me!” Kagome chirped as the deer walked forward and allowed Kagome to pet its head.

Inuyasha gaped at the ‘friendly’ deer. He’d thought of all the animals in the woods to be bloodsucking evil. They wouldn’t even let him catch them to eat for dinner, those fiends! Anywho, “Wait! Shippou! Who’s Shippou.”

Kagome eyed his disturbingly jealous like glare. “And why should I tell you that?” she retorted quietly. This whole meeting with the guy who’d passionately kissed her less than 24 hours before was going down the drain.

“Uh, because I asked?”

“What’s the magic word?” Kagome asked sweetly.

Inuyasha glared, “Now?”

Kagome sweatdropped. “Really-!” she faltered when she realized she had nothing to call him. “-er-Puppy!”

“Puppy?” he muttered.

Kagome shrugged. “I could you call you jackass but that-.”

“-Wouldn’t be very ladylike of you.” Inuyasha finished. He then shuddered, he didn’t want to, but he really wanted to know who this ‘Shippou-chan’ was. “...Please...?” he grumbled quietly.

“What was that?” Kagome was snapped out of her zoning out and daydreaming. She then sighed when she realized that was the best she’d get out of him. “Shippou is my...” she trailed off, looking for the right words.

Inuyasha unconsciously leaned forward. “Yes?”

“Friend?” Kagome gave a guess and Inuyasha frowned.

‘That didn’t sound very sure.’

“I just met him three days ago! Well, for sure he’s my room mate and a fox demon.” Kagome bit the inside of her cheek.

“So that’s how he knew, the whole fox thing.” Then the word ‘mate’ broke through his (thick) skull. “Wait!”

“You seem to say that a lot. Tell me, is it a habit to say ‘wait’ to all girls you meet?” Kagome arched an eyebrow.

“No, just you,” he muttered and missed her pretty pink cheeks. “How old is this ‘Shippou’?”

Kagome nearly face faulted. “How does that matter?” her stormy eyes went wide.

Inuyasha noticed her look and mentally kicked himself. Well if she was going to act like they never shared that kiss the day before, then neither was he! “I was just curious!” he snapped, running a claw through his hair.

Kagome groaned and threw her head back. Inuyasha shuddered at the exposed neck and skin and his mind started to space again. He almost missed Kag’s answer. “Six or seven. Don’t really know.” She shrugged and Inuyasha hungrily watched her shoulders shift.

He gave his head a little shake and started to stare at her. “Seven?”

Kagome starred right back at him incredulously. “Yeah. What did you think he was?” she snorted, “My beau?”

“Huh?”

Kagome sweatdropped. “You don’t get out of Japan much, do you?”

“No. Why, do you?”

“Yeah. Beau is a French term. Think of it as ‘suitor’ or I don’t know, even ‘boyfriend.” Kagome shrugged again.

“Wait.” Inuyasha winced as he used that word again. “Why are we talking about boyfriends again?”

Kagome blushed at the blunt question and Inuyasha obviously missed why. “Um...Shippou?”

“Oh yeah.” Inu nodded. “So, who is this squirt and why do you bunk with him?”

Kagome slapped his arm playfully. “Because of his cute older brother, silly!” she joked and then regretted it when Inu seemed to grow angry.

“So you’re using that poor kid to get to his brother?”

“Whoa! Slow down, I was kidding. Sheesh,” she rolled her eyes. During that roll, they crossed over the sky. “Oh my Gods!” she clapped a hand over her mouth.

Inuyasha instantly leapt in front of her out of instinct to ‘protect’ her.

“I have to go!” Kagome gathered up her kimono so she could run a little better and Inu hid his blush at her exposed leg.

“Huh? Why?” He shouted as she began to race away.

“So the others don’t worry bout me!” she shouted over her shoulder.

“But...I don’t even know your name!” Inu complained.

Kagome paused and turned around to face him. She grinned. “Good! Maybe I don’t want you to!” She then winced at his crestfallen, kicked puppy look. Deciding to give him the same goodbye as the day before, she rushed back and pecked him on the cheek. She nearly burst into giggles when he immediately perked up.

“Well?” he tried again.

Kagome seemed to glance around in thought. “I’ll meet you back here tomorrow at noon,” she whispered and then winced. “If I’m able to, that is. I never know if...” she trailed off and waved her hand faintly.

“Alright,” Inu smirked.

Kagome smiled and blushed again. So what if she was hypocrite? So what if she did want to see this guy again? “-Er- bye Puppy!” she called before running off (again).

Inuyasha watched her leave and smirked to himself. He’d wait for her.

He wouldn’t miss talking to her again for the world.

.

---

.

‘That guy is trouble! I’m going to be so late and then have to face the wrath of Sango again! And Miroku’s prying questions. Monk? Ha! He’s not a saint, he’s a perverted demon in disguise!’

Kagome rushed through the woods and growled when she felt her hair toggle become loose and fly off. No matter, she had at least two more somewhere or another.

“Excuse me?” A young girl toddled across the path and Kagome nearly slammed into her.

“Oh, sorry!” Kag puffed.

The younger female was just shorter than Kagome’s waist and her hair was all bunched up under a bandana so that none was visible. She had slightly narrowed deep green eyes that looked up to search Kag’s face. The little girl gave a sad, sweet smile. “It’s alright.”

Kagome eyed the smile and knew immediately something was wrong. She could read people like books and now she knew this little girl was depressed about something. Crouching down, Kagome put a comforting hand on the young peasant girl’s shoulder. “Sometimes it helps to talk.”

Kagome somehow missed the look of disgust when she’d touch the little girl. The girl turned back and said softly, “Of course.”

Kagome stood up and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear as she looked around. “Why don’t you have a breather at my cabin? It’s pretty close.” ‘I think.’

The girl’s voice brightened. “Sure, sounds great. My name is Sumi.”

“Kagome,” said woman confided without hesitation. “Come along then.” Kag held out her hand for the little girl to grasp it and the ex-princess dragged the peasant along. “Do you want to start telling me now?”

Kag’s arm lifted up and down as Sumi shrugged. “Sure.”

“Alright. Talk.”

“Well, me mum sent me to the small village near here to sell some items to gather milk and bread. I didn’t sell enough to be able to buy them.” Sumi said slowly.

“I understand, then no problem!” Kagome chirped as she spotted the cottage and banged open the door. “Here we are. Sit still!”

Sumi eyed Kagome carefully as she went about the kitchen grabbing various things. In no time at all Sumi had a jug of milk and a kerchief full of bread in front of her. “Oh thank you Kagome-sama!”

Kagome smiled brightly. “There you go! I hope it helped your day, I don’t like to see people unhappy.”

“Oh, it did.” Sumi reached into the small basket that hung at her elbow and took out a pair of whittled chopsticks. They had a dragon craved into the end of each and the wood was perfectly smooth. The young girl held them out, “Here you go. Take these. My Granddad made them himself!”

Kagome kept on her grin as she reached forward and grabbed the hair accessories. Taking her long hair she twirled it tight then loped it into a bun at the base of her head. Sticking the chopsticks in several layers of hair to make her hair stay in place, she turned to the girl, “Thank you!”

Sumi nodded, then seemed to watch Kagome intensely.

Kagome went to place her left hand, the closest part of her anatomy to her heart, on Sumi’s shoulder...and couldn’t. Frowning she tried again but the limb wouldn’t respond. Turning to her right hand to hopefully rub some life into her first, she realized that it wouldn’t move on command either. Kagome flashed her azure gaze to Sumi and tried to open her mouth to ask for some help to lie down. Her tongue simply lolled around and couldn’t stay in one position long enough to form any words.

Trying to send a mental SOS, Sumi just looked back at her innocently. ‘What’s taking so long? Kagome’s just standing there!’ The young girl grumbled in her head.

‘What in all the worlds?’ Kagome mentally gasped. Suddenly the wooden planks rushed up to meet her. Although Kagome couldn’t feel it, she knew her knees had buckled. Lying on her stomach, her cheek pressed up against the unbelievably smooth wood, Kagome vaguely wondered what was happening and why Sumi wasn’t helping her. Although it seemed the rest of her body didn’t work anymore, not even her eyes judging by the dancing spots, her ears picked up one more thing.

“Finally,” a voice snorted. It sounded way too old to be that little Sumi girl. “Hisa said the reaction would be quick, not take forever. Bye Kag- chan.”

The footsteps walked away and Kagome finally slumped in defeat, no longer having the strength to try and stand.

Her last thought before she welcomed the darkness?

‘I won’t be able to meet him tomorrow.’

.

---

.

“Not again!”

“Dammit! I told her not to open the door. I told her! Didn’t I?”

“Yes Miroku!” Five voices snapped back at him.

“Well then. I can't be blamed,” he stated calmly.

“We weren’t blaming you! We’re blaming Kikyou! She’s the one who did this! If a early twenty year old has the power to look like she’s seventy, she has the power to look like anything!” Sango snapped, rubbing her temples.

Naraku sighed, “Shape shifting is so fun!”

“She isn’t shape shifting! Just changing her appearance for a short time. Any spell could do that,” Miroku educated the dark half demon.

“Right,” Naraku scoffed, “There’s a complete difference!”

“Well, yeah!” Kagura purred while slamming her fan into the top of her cousin’s head. “You do it as a personal power, she does it with a spell. Complete difference.”

“Ow,” Naraku whined.

“Shut it!” Kagura snapped back.

“Can we get back to the problem? What are we supposed to do this time?” Sango asked as she rung her hands. For a demon slayer she sure wasn’t being very good at protecting those under her care as of late.

“Simple! We find the item and take it off!” Miroku rolled his eyes.

“Do you really think someone would be that unimaginative to try the same thing twice?” Shippou asked.

Sango gave a deadpan look. “Duh! We’re dealing with Kikyou here!”

“Oh, yeah,” Shippou relented.

“So, we remove the item,” Miroku went strait to Kagome’s body and reached for the obi.

“Miroku! That’s her own obi, we’re looking for...some...thing...else...” Sango’s eyes bulged.

Too late.

---THWACK---

“I think my head cracked that time, did you hear it?” Miroku asked calmly as he fell backwards into an unconscious heap.

Sango stood over his crumpled body with fire dancing in her eyes. “Any one else going to try to indecently undress this maiden?” she challenged.

The rest of the (awake) dwarves took a step back. “No, no.”

“Good,” Sango nodded. Walking over to Kagome, she took in the girl’s appearance. “Nothing seems out of place. That’s my kimono, my obi, my apron, and my rice sandals. None of them could be the ones doing anything.”

“Well, then what could?” Kaede asked stepping forward. Nothing seemed too out of place.

“I can’t believe she was dumb enough to get fooled by that Queen twice!” Naraku hissed.

Kagura hit him over the head. “Yeah, she’s the dumb one around here.” She stated sarcastically.

“Well, I know what we have to do!” Said an amazingly conscious monk. “We have to undress her completely and give her a bath so that there is nothing left that could be doing anything.”

“Good idea, but I think Sango and I will be the ones to go do it. Guard the door Kaede,” Kagura drawled as she and her fellow dwarf, Sango, dragged Kagome to the nearby hot spring.

“Aye,” Kaede said as she blocked the door and stonily eyed the male dwarves.

.

---

.

Kagome struggled to open her heavily lidded eyes. “Wha happened?” she slurred.

“Kikyou put poisonous chop sticks in your hair.” Sango told her calmly.

“No she didn’t. Sumi did!” Kagome tried to clear up the situation.

“Well, if that’s what Kikyou is calling herself these days, then ‘Sumi’ put poisonous chop sticks in your hair.” Kagura said.

“Oh, hi Kagura!” Kagome chirped as she struggled to sit up, completely missing the fact that she'd just almost died...again. She was lying on the two dwarves’ beds where they were pushed together to give her more room.

Sango pushed her back down. “Take it easy Kagome. If we hadn’t gotten those chopsticks off, then you would have been,” Sango made slitting movement across her throat.

“Oh. Good way to put it,” Kagome sweatdropped. “Where is everyone?”

“At the jewel mines. It’s almost noon. You’ve been sleeping off the effects of the poison,” Kagura said while filing down her extremely pointed fingernails.

“Noon?” Kagome mumbled. “WAIT! NOON?!” she asked a little more forcefully.

“Yeah, noon, why?”

“I’m going to be late!” Kagome leaped up only to find herself completely undressed.

Blushing, she wrapped a blanket around her body and rushed off to find some clothes to meet ‘her’ hanyou.

.

.

.

A/N: Definitely not my best chapter. The chopsticks took the place of a jeweled comb that the queen (for the SECOND time dressed as the old woman, way to go Snow White) put in her hair.

I know I downplayed the relationship between Kagome and Inuyasha in this chapter, because really? Would Inuyasha actually admit his feelings if he wasn’t at the brink at blackness, and would Kagome really be all that eager to meet a guy that could be crazy? Next chapter will have fluff...more fluff than last chapter any way.

But they will be together! Anyone notice that this is my first fic that I actually put the pairing in the summery? I normally put romance after action and not have it be my main objective of the story.

Ja ne!