InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blind Stitch My Heart ❯ The Things that Deceive Us ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blind Stitch my Heart …

Part 3 - "The Things That Deceive Us"

Written by: profiler120

Rating: PG-13 (rating is probably higher than necessary)

Email: profiler120@hotmail.com; p_120@yahoo.com

(Disclaimer: I forgot to add this but it goes without saying everyone knows I do not own Inuyasha.)

Author's Notes: Naraku isn't too bad a guy in this story. More of an 'obsessed, controlling, stalker' type rather than the 'violent, dark, cruel' type that Naraku is more of in the series. He's not a shy guy he sees something, he's going after it, so keep that in mind when you read this chapter.

~X~

"It's so chilly outside, I'm glad we have arrived."

"Hush now woman," a man's voice chided.

"Yamada-san, I'm glad you arrived safely."

Those voices were all familiar - her aunt Yamada Naeri, her uncle Yamada Motohiko and the Master of the house, Masaharu Sesshoumaru.

It took all her strength to remain where she was instead of sneaking out into the hall to peer down at her family. She hadn't seen her aunt and uncle in so long, she wondered if they would even recognize her. She kept her place however and continued with her sewing. Her aunt and uncle had arrived which meant that the engagement ceremony would take place soon.

She sighed softly to herself as she glanced up at the doorway. No one was there; she wondered why she was so disappointed. She went back to her work, guiding the needle through the material carefully avoiding pulls and tangles in her thread.

"Kagome!" A male voice whispered and she looked up to see Inuyasha sliding the doors closed.

"What are you doing?"

"Shhh!"

She just looked up at him baffled.

"They're here!" He whispered as though 'they' themselves were just outside the door straining to hear every word.

"What's wrong with you?" He was being unusually restless.

"Do I look okay?"

She would've erupted with laughter if his eyes weren't so fretfully earnest. She smiled reassuringly. "You look just fine Inuyasha. Are you worried?" She asked softly.

"Of course I'm worried, what do you think?" he snapped.

"I'm sure you're worrying over nothing. Your father wanted to you to marry her so I'm sure they won't take one look at you and cast you off."

He frowned. "You always know just what to say," he bit out sarcastically.

She stood up and patted him on the shoulder. "Everything will work out, now go downstairs, and meet your brides family."

He was about to turn when he faltered and turned back. "Eh… you want to come?"

She shook her head no. "I couldn't. I have things to be doing and it isn't my place to be down there now. I have work to finish."

He looked as though he'd protest but she gave him a stern look and he went. She followed him to the door only to find the Master at the top of the stairs staring over. Inuyasha padded past his brother and his stern gaze quietly and disappeared from sight.

Kagome pushed the doors back open and without glancing back at him slipped back into her room. He didn't come to see her.

~X~

It was awkward to be caught between two emotions at once. She looked up - the sewing doors were closed. It was an oddity to be sure; after all, she always kept them open. But it was she that had closed them. She had wanted to be alone. When the doors were open she felt connected to the rest of the household, but with them closed she felt alone, and that's what she wanted. She wanted that desolate lonely feeling.

She knew one thing with certainty, she wanted her family out of this house, and she wanted the Master gone with them. She wanted back the small, homely domain that had been here before when the Master was traveling or living at his other residence.

There was a gentle rapping at the door before it slid open a crack and she found herself staring into familiar brown eyes.

"Something wrong, Kikyo?"

"May I come in?"

"Of course you can," Kagome forced a smile. What excuse could she give for being in here? She wasn't sewing anything. She was just sitting there.

"I came to see what you were doing. I haven't seen you all day and I thought for sure you'd come down to see my mother and father. They know you're here."

She smiled again. "I'm sorry I was just feeling a little down today is all. How are things going?"

"Okay, the ceremony will be the day after tomorrow. Then they are going back, and I with them."

"Is it safe again?"

She nodded. "Naraku is said to be out of the country. I overheard Father tell Masaharu-sama that he has gone to some foreign nation called 'Britain'."

"Are you happy to be going?"

"Somewhat. I won't get to see you as often anymore although we haven't spent too much time together."

"You won't see Inuyasha either until spring," Kagome noted with a wink.

Kikyo smiled weakly. "What about you? What will you do?"

Kagome shrugged. "Until I'm fired again or my mother calls me home I'll remain here."

"Would you like to come back with me downstairs? Everyone is down there,"

Kagome shook her head somewhat sadly. "I'm sorry, I just don't feel up to it. Something about today is sad."

Although not certain of her meaning, Kikyo accepted it. "I will tell them you do not feel well then. Perhaps tomorrow?"

"I suppose," she half-heartedly agreed and both stood.

Kikyo took her hand. "I know we haven't been very close over the years but if there is something bothering you, I want you to know you can come to me. We are family, Kagome."

Something about that simple comment was extremely comforting and she smiled brightly in reply. "Thank you."

Kikyo seemed satisfied that she would be all right and left her alone again. She didn't want to see her aunt and uncle. Was she suddenly ashamed of her position when she hadn't been before? She wasn't sure. Rather than debate it here she decided to retreat to her room. The day was done, dinner was over, and there was no sewing to be done. She had right and excuse to be out of the sewing room now. Kikyo's excuse to her parents was true enough. She really wasn't feeling well.

It wasn't a terribly bad feeling that fell over her, but more of a weakness in her limbs, a dull ache in her stomach and lightness to her head. Perhaps the beginnings of an illness, she mused?

~X~

"Flaunting direct orders privately and blatantly are two very different things."

Sango, who was previously enjoying a warm cup of tea with her, quickly abandoned her. Masaharu stalked toward her menacingly.

"I'm sorry was I disobeying again?" she asked sipping her the warm soothing liquid. Last night she had felt all out of sorts but today she felt calm and at peace. Maybe it was the tea and the good sleep. Still however the stomachache remained, perhaps she had eaten something bad?

"You did not appear for dinner last night, nor did you show up after dinner either. Your behavior was unacceptable, such rudeness will not be tolerated."

"Rudeness?" she looked up at him, startled by the choice of words. "I was not being rude, I was trying to follow orders. While your guests may be family of mine, it doesn't change the nature of my business here. I am an employee of yours, not a guest, I had no place in showing up on either occasion."

He simply stared at her with hard eyes.

"Besides I wasn't really feeling well last night, nor do I feel any better this morning."

It was true enough, she thought.

"You will take care of your womanly concerns on your own." He ordered. Her cheeks flushed as she her hands balled into fists in response. "The engagement ceremony is tomorrow, you will attend, and you will dress properly."

She composed herself silently. "Yes, Masaharu-sama."

Yet he remained, staring across at her as though something else entirely was on his mind.

"Did you need something else?"

"Dismissing me, woman?" he snarled as he stalked closer to her.

"Dismissing you?" She looked up blinking innocently. "I can't dismiss you."

He, if only intended for the briefest of moments, settled down beside her and she hurriedly poured him some tea, even if he didn't want it. It was her place to do so after all. To her surprise he took the tea and sipped it quietly.

~X~

When he glanced over at her was taken aback to see her smiling warmly at him. The complaint on the tip of his tongue melted as he stared at her warm, contented eyes. Was she happy?

That look hadn't been in her eyes when he'd come in. She'd been sitting with her companion but it had been a glazed, faraway look in her eyes then. Somehow that expression had dissolved into her current satisfaction.

She blushed prettily and looked away apologizing. Apologizing for what, he could only imagine. He couldn't complain if she was going to look at him like that. No, he didn't like this turn of events one bit. He had no idea she had an expression like that one in her female arsenal.

He'd seen it before on other women mind you, but he'd never been affected by it quite like this before. Everything about this girl was … real. Her presence was calming despite her short temper and violent outbursts. When she was content, she made others feel that way as well. Or at least that's what he gathered from his own current feeling.

The disquiet apprehension of his day seemed to sink away into the deeper recesses of his mind. When had the loud-mouthed girl become delicate?

He was staring at her, and had been for since he'd caught her staring at him but she had yet to look back up at him. Instead her gaze rested anywhere but on him. She was at present admiring the table and the tea in her small teacup.

"Is it finished?" he finally felt the need to break the silence between them.

"Not yet."

"I need it by tomorrow."

She nodded. "All right."

A few more moments of terse silence followed.

"Don't you worry? Don't you worry over your future?" he heard himself asking in a quiet, almost friendly tone.

"Hmmm… yes, but I don't have much say in the matter, so what can I do?" she asked, a definite note of helplessness in her voice.

He finished his tea and stood. "The ceremony is tomorrow. You have something to wear?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Good." He stood and vacated the room.

~X~

Meeting with her aunt and uncle proved to be far less traumatic than she'd imagined. They were both happy to see her and even seemed happy that she was busy with something. Her aunt, when they were alone, had reassured her about her position in the household. Kagome had been worried over what they would think but her aunt had consoled those fears, much to her relief. That had been yesterday.

Today was the ceremony. It was a simple, straightforward thing. An important part of this ceremony was the exchange of gifts. Kagome drifted through it paying little attention while she worried over whether or not she would have to make her cousin's bridal kimono. The bridal kimono was important and she wasn't sure she had the skill for it.

For her wedding Kikyo would be pooled in the finest of white silk in a beautiful kimono. One that Kagome was nervous about sewing, even though assembling kimonos was easy. Before she knew it, it was over.

They were all gathered in another room when she emerged from the sewing room just after noon. She met Sango at the bottom of the stairs.

"I can't believe this!" she exclaimed.

"What's wrong?"

"Kaede says we are out of daikons, so I have to go to the market."

"Oh, I can get it for you."

Sango's head popped up. "You can?"

"Sure, I'm going to town anyway."

"Kagome you are a life saver!" she exclaimed with a wide smile.

"It's no problem." She replied as Sango pressed the money into her hand.

"Thanks a bunch, just bring it to me in the kitchen when you get back okay? I've got a million other things to do!"

Kagome smiled sympathetically and walked the rest of the way to the door and stepped out. It was the height of winter but no snow graced the grounds of the Masaharu Estate. The walk wasn't that long and she should be back soon, she thought to herself. Occasionally she glanced back toward the house until it disappeared entirely from view.

The market was crowded and noisy. She smiled, as she was absorbed into the crowds of people. She hadn't been here in some time. She floated from stand to stand, shop to shop almost forgetting the point of her traveling down here. She procured the daikons from a woman on the corner, but finding the white thread she was after proved more difficult.

She had just determined to abandon the search and decided to risk speaking with Masaharu when someone grabbed her arm in the congested marketplace. Not an alarming incident, such things had happened before, so she turned curiously toward her captor but his comment stole her voice.

"Kikyo, my sweet, where have you been?"

For a moment she was stunned. She'd been mistaken for Kikyo before but never by a man who was so handsome. Dark hair, with slight waves tumbled over his dark colored kimono.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm not Kikyo."

He looked closer, leaning down so his face was level with hers and staring intently at her, causing her to blush wildly.

"No…" he spoke quietly, almost unheard in the din of their surroundings. "You have the most stunning blue eyes, Kikyo's are brown."

"I know. She and I are cousins, are you looking for her?"

He nodded and released her wrist. "I apologize for grabbing you. You and she are so much alike, it's uncanny."

"I guess so," she agreed weakly.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"Higurashi Kagome," she replied.

"Higurashi Kagome," he repeated. "And you are Kikyo's cousin?"

She nodded.

"I am Senaka Naraku, an old friend of hers. Could you perhaps tell me where I may find your cousin?"

She shifted. "Is she in town? I haven't seen her in… wow, it's been years."

He looked away. "I heard she was but I haven't been able to find her." He turned to her flashing another smile. "Again, my apologies."

With that he vanished effortlessly into the crowds leaving her more than shaken. How could a guy that well dressed and good looking be bad? She didn't stop to contemplate however; instead she made quick work of abandoning the market and returning to the Estate. She paid no attention to her return path.

Once she reached the house she went straight to the kitchen and handed the vegetables over to a grateful Kaede as well as the money left over from the little expedition. From there she went out and back into the room with the stairs, intending on returning to her sanctuary to contemplate this new turn of events.

Halfway there, the Master who now seemed determined to obstruct her at every turn waylaid her once more.

"In a rush, Higurashi?"

"I have work to be doing," she replied distractedly refusing to meet his gaze. She hoped he wouldn't notice, but she could tell by his stiff stature, that he did.

"Where were you?"

"I went to the market for Sango and Kaede." She replied.

"Why didn't Sango go?"

"I volunteered. I had to go anyway I'm out of white thread."

"Did you find any?"

"No," she replied. "If you'll excuse me." She attempted to skirt by him but was caught when he snaked out an arm, catching her securely by the waist.

"I will not." He replied.

She lowered her head anxiously.

"In your absence your family has gone. They left their 'best wishes' for you."

"Oh? That was sweet," she replied, hoping to convince him to release her. He hadn't, and showed no signs of doing so.

Instead of releasing her he grabbed her by the chin and tilted her head back and up to face him.

"Would you explain why you are squirming and otherwise trying to get away from me?" he asked, his tone revealing his irritation.

"I have work-"

"You have nothing to do but what I tell you, now answer my question. What happened at the market that's upset you?"

"It's nothing- really."

He was unconvinced. "I want my question answered." He growled lowly.

"I… met someone that mistook me for Kikyo, that's all."

"The identity of this 'someone'?"

"I'm sure you've never heard of him,"

"Him?"

She scolded herself for not telling him, but knowing that if she didn't he'd get upset. Still, he wasn't going to release her until he got what he wanted, he was a jerk that way.

"Senaka Naraku."

The name fell from her mouth casually but its effect was instantaneous. He released her immediately as though she were infected with something and his gaze became altogether different. There was a surge of emotions swirling in those gold eyes, when she dared to look up at them before cowardly looking away again.

"And what were you discussing with Senaka?"

"I wasn't 'discussing', he grabbed my wrist. What was I going to do, wrestle him?"

Her sarcasm wasn't appreciated.

"And what did you talk about?"

"Nothing. He asked me, thinking I was Kikyo, where I had been. Then I told him I was not Kikyo, and he realized this, he let me go. He asked me where I could find her, I told him I didn't know, and he left."

"That's it?" he raised one delicate eyebrow in speculation.

"Yes that's it!" she snapped with clenched teeth. What was with all the doubts? Since when had she been a liar?

She then reminded herself she'd lied to Naraku, but managed to convince herself that he didn't count.

"I see." Was his brusque reply.

"Master, everything is prepared for your departure."

"Thank you Jaken. You may wait outside."

"Yes, Masaharu-sama." And he stepped out into the mild wintry air.

"You told him nothing about this house?"

"No,"

"Did you tell him your name?"

"Yes,"

He scowled and turned his head away.

"You didn't say I couldn't," she pointed out.

She sighed, and clasped her hands together in a nervous gesture.

"I'm leaving now, I'll have the thread sent back to you." He stepped away and stalked toward the door, his long silver locks falling elegantly down his back.

She couldn't bring herself to say anything, but instead she escaped to the staircase and sought solace in the sewing room.

She shut the doors behind her hoping to ward off any visitors that may 'drop by' her room. She was in a whirl. She couldn't believe it. That charming man she'd met was Naraku? Why was he so bad?

Although she knew there was a lot she didn't know about him, she hadn't felt overly uneasy in his presence. Not at all, she felt more uncomfortable standing in front of Masaharu than she did in front of Senaka and she was certain that the former would never hurt her.

She sighed. Senaka Naraku was in town and her Master, Masaharu was going out of town, things were not looking up.

~X~

It was a down day. It wasn't cold enough to snow, so the moisture fell as rain. She had just emerged from the sewing room to see about some warm, enthusing tea when a knock came upon the door. She peered down and watched as Sango pulled open the door and let in a tall wet, stranger.

She recognized him almost at once, and couldn't repress the gasp. Doing so drew the attention of both parties.

"Ah, Higurashi-san, I was hoping to see you."

She descended the stairs anxiously. "Senaka-san, what are you doing here?" she asked, more than a little tense.

Sango had since retreated but probably only to tell Kaede of the handsome visitor in the next room.

"I've come to see you, little vixen."

"Vixen? Heh," she laughed uncomfortably. "What exactly can I do for you?"

His eyes sparkled with mischief. "You could do many things for me, but not here in this grand room."

The grin that spread across his features wasn't evil, but it promised things she was sure she didn't want a part of. She shifted unnervingly.

As though sensing she was about to turn him out he commented. "It's raining quite heavily, perhaps I could prevail upon your hospitality for some warm tea?"

She could not deny the request and called for Sango.

Somehow or other she managed to be left alone with the man, again. Sango seemed to have the impression the man had a fancy for her, and while he might, she didn't want to be alone with him, of all things. This wasn't like leaving Inuyasha with Kikyo! Inuyasha was too timid to even attempt anything with Kikyo, this man had no such qualms about any woman, of that she was certain. Not with that predatory smile.

In fact, he was staring at her quite disturbingly as he leaned on the table in front of him. She was glad he wasn't being served sake, which could only make things worse.

"Higurashi Kagome, I've been thinking about you since we met in the market. You have a beautiful name. It flows on your tongue."

She decided not to respond and rather rose to get some more tea for her visitor. Only he was determined not to let her escape it seemed and he rose with her, taking the teapot from her hands and depositing it on the table.

Thoughts, words, actions, were all voided in the second he took to enclose her against the wall that loomed behind her. She peered around wildly, looking for an escape, but none came. He towered in front of her, staring down with glinting, impish eyes.

"Eh, are you always so forward with strangers, Senaka-san?"

He grinned. "There's only one way to get to know a person better, wouldn't you say?"

He was now leaning dangerously close to her. She'd never met anyone half as bold as this before, she thought drearily as she felt his breath against her cheek. No, she suddenly felt many things, too many. Her head was becoming lighter and sound swirled dangerously in her ears. When had the room become so hot?

Her wide, bright eyes met with his as the warmth of his lips pressed over hers. She panicked. The floor under her seemed to shift and buckle, what was going on? She reached a hand up grasping the ornate sleeve of Senaka's kimono only to feel her own grasp go slack. Sometimes … the strangest … feelings…

Her emotions faded as her eyesight dimmed completely black and she fainted.

~X~

Inuyasha stepped into her room again for the fourth time in the hour. She hadn't woken up yet and that worried everyone since she hadn't been ill before. Or knowing Kagome she'd probably felt bad and decided not to 'bother' anyone with her 'petty' concerns. He scoffed; she always had to be the self-less one. She'd since acquired a fever and was being watched over by Kaede, who had presently returned to the kitchen.

He settled down beside the futon on which she was laying and stared disturbed at her calm visage. She looked peaceful, and that was worth all the aches he was currently experiencing. He'd entered the kitchen looking for some food when he'd seen her there.

He'd stepped in and found her in the arms of the dark clad man. Kagome was clearly out cold by the way she fell limply in his arms, but that hadn't stopped the torrent of emotions that had bubbled up in him upon that moment. He'd not thought it out and attacked the man who was holding Kagome without giving him an opportunity to set her aside.

He'd socked the guy good in the face, and bloodied his nose, but the other man was stronger, or at least much more clever and got in several painful hits; ones that his body wasn't about to let him forget.

It was unforgivable what he'd done. No one was allowed to touch Kagome like that, not in this house! He didn't know who the man was, and would have to wait for her to wake up and tell him but what would he do after that?

He had to protect Kagome. There was no one else in the world like her, and no one meant as much as she. Kagome was, in a sense, his most trusted friend. He could always depend on her, especially when there were things he couldn't talk about with Miroku because he'd laugh. Kagome never laughed at him... much.

He'd been mean to her from the first day she'd arrived but she never took it to heart. She still smiled and talked with him. She didn't care he was a jerk most of the time and she always forgave him.

No one had endured more of his crap than Kagome, and still managed to like him. She trusted him too. He knew he had her trust, and that too made a world of difference. He was relieved when her eyes fluttered and then slowly opened. She turned her head toward him as she inhaled deeply.

"Inuyasha?" she murmured, catching sight of him. "What's wrong with you, you're frowning."

He smiled weakly. "Hey, you okay?"

"I'm tired, but why am I in bed?" she asked quizzically, yawning. "Oohh, my head aches."

"You don't remember?"

She paused, and he could tell when the memory returned to her. "Oh… what happened to Senaka? Did he leave already?"

"Is that the bastard's name?" Inuyasha snarled. "What the hell did he do to you before I got there?"

"I was going to get some more tea, hoping he'd leave soon when he took it from it and set it aside. Then I was pushed back against the wall and … he kissed me."

"Senaka? Senaka Naraku? The one that was after Kikyo?"

She nodded. "I met him the other day at the market. He was looking for her, I told him I didn't know where she was but I guess he followed me. I'm sorry, I should've been more careful, Kikyo had already left by then, but I didn't know that."

She was now sitting up and he sat down at the edge of her futon and pulled her reassuringly against him. "It's not your fault."

She relaxed under his hold and he guided her back down into her blankets with a weak smile. "But I have work-"

"Everyone has clothes enough," he interrupted. "Get some rest, okay?"

She nodded and he left her alone in the room. He met Kaede in the hall.

"Keep her in bed," he ordered as he skipped downstairs to the library. He had no other choice he had to notify Sesshoumaru.

He stepped into his brother's sanctuary and walked to the desk. Paper and materials were already laid out there. Grabbing the brush and a sheet of rice paper, he began to write.

"Sesshoumaru -

I wouldn't have bothered to write if it was anything less. Senaka Naraku showed up today. I found him in the kitchen …

~X~

"… Kagome is in bed now having come down with an illness. Just thought you should know he made an appearance here and will very likely be back. But don't bother rousing yourself down from your little nest, I've everything under control, so stay put.

-Inuyasha."

Sesshoumaru read, and then read the letter once more before crumpling the paper angrily in his hands.

"Jaken!" He ordered his servant.

The door slid open, not by Jaken but by Kagura, one of his houseguests.

"I asked for Jaken," he snapped irritably.

"I am here, Masaharu-sama!" he slid by the seductive woman in the doorway.

"Get my things, I'm returning."

"Yes, Masaharu-sama." He immediately left the room to begin scurrying about his task.

The woman however wasn't about to let the matter drop.

"You're leaving so soon? Surely you don't have to go."

He barely spared her a glance. "Personal business Kagura, stay out of it."

She huffed and left the room. Why his father's friends always brought their snobbish daughters never ceased to amaze and annoy him.

He glanced at the paper in his hands. He had a bad feeling that afternoon but he'd left anyway, now he had to make the trip all over again. If that little fact weren't disturbing enough now he'd have to stay the winter there to make sure he took care of his brother's wedding and Higurashi's. He could hardly leave the situation to his brother who was simply too attached to Kagome to risk her safety, he was certain that's the only reason the insolent boy had written to him. Inuyasha had no doubt heard the rumors about one Senaka Naraku.

There was no way he could ignore it. He was responsible for her safety, as well as the others in his house and even though no harm had come to her this time, what of the next? Not to mention that Rin, his niece was living under that roof, and though she was but a child who knew to what depths the man could sink. He sneered, it was a wonder the things a handsome face and charming smile could hide.

Until he terminated her, Higurashi belonged to him, and she wasn't there for slaking lusts. Not his and certainly not a lowlife like Senaka Naraku.