InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blind Stitch My Heart ❯ Confrontations Make Me Nervous ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blind Stitch my Heart …

Part 9- "Confrontations Make Me Nervous"

Written by: profiler120

Rating: PG-13 (rating is probably higher than necessary)

Email: profiler120@hotmail.com


Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha.

(~ ~ ~) - Denotes p.o.v. change within the same scene.

Authors Notes: I skipped how Kagome got to the mountain - I didn't realize that was rather abrupt. No warning or anything, oh well, maybe I'll revise it later.

I knew someone would mention the names at some point or other. *Sigh*

Mistress Fluffy: I fully intend for it to have a happy ending.

SwtxLilAzngrl: Shippou? - Honestly, I forgot all about him. That's a good idea, he might prove useful somehow. Now that I think about it… it's a very good idea. Thank you for mentioning it. ^_^

CloverX: Did Sesshoumaru talk to Naraku at the mountain? No, um, I think he talked to Kagura.

Kidoairaku: I don't keep track of how many chapters I intend and then it gets out of control. If it's in the author's notes and not part of the story, I completely forget what I've said about it. ^_^


The sight of him standing there, towering over her tiny figure was intimidating. She wasn't sure if that was quite the effect he was going for, but it was working if it was. He'd caught her, 'red-handed' so to speak, almost directly in the act of disobeying. Although he hadn't actually told her to stay put, it was a sort of technicality. Either way she was still not obeying what had been, of sorts, a direct order.

Not that he had any right to be giving her orders, she thought cockily. She didn't work for him anymore, and he wasn't her guardian. At that however she faltered. She didn't technically have a guardian here in this little town. Her escort, Miroku's friend Kouga was probably drunk by now - he'd told her he was heading out to the tavern before setting off in the morning.

Before she could stop him, or futilely attempt to stop him his hands were on her shoulders pushing her back into the corridor.

She decided now was as good a time as any to attempt some kind of diffusing conversation. Even if she already knew it was an ineffective strategy.

"Ah, Masaharu-sama, you're awake."

She immediately wanted to kick herself. State the obvious, why don't you? She snapped at herself.

She found the wall against her back and discovered it wasn't his aim to trap her there as he suddenly reached forward, snaking an arm around her waist and pressed her ahead of him down the narrow corridor. She walked, unable to do anything but stop or go forward. There was no way she could get around him in this slim passageway.

The doorway loomed in front of her, closed, and she wasn't about to open it. Ignoring her uncooperativeness he leaned forward sliding the door open and shoving her rather unceremoniously inside.

"I'm beginning to think you are the kind of woman who requires continuous supervision."

"I am not, " she snapped doggedly.

"Just where were you planning on going?" His tone was sharp, demanding.

With heart pounding clarity she heard the door slide closed behind her trapping her in the room with him. "Out." She obstinately replied.

"Out where?"

She, gathering her courage whirled around to face him, and the closed door and the near empty house. She vaguely realized there was no one here to save her from him. No little Rin's to come barging in, no Inuyasha's to interrupt, only Jaken and somehow she pictured that poor overworked servant was passed out on the floor somewhere. Probably having nightmares about his difficult horse. The only others were young servant girls who would probably never dare to interfere if she started screaming, she sighed at the hopelessness of it; and to think she'd willingly dropped herself into this situation.

"I was going to find Senaka-san."

Might as well be honest, she thought raising her eyes daringly.

The comment proved to be untimely as his blank expression vanished and his displeasure immediately became apparent. She opened her mouth to say something to placate him but was sharply cut off.

"There is entirely too much discussion about Naraku around here. If he is what you want, then damn it stop bothering me!"

As though it were really that simple, she thought. "Bothering you?"

It wasn't what she wanted to say - no, she wanted to ask what to do if she didn't want Senaka, but somehow she found her courage to be lacking and took the safer route.

Maybe he was right though, her conscious nagged at her. If she was going to accept being with Naraku why had she followed him here like a lovesick idiot?

"Well then-"

"Quiet." He cut her off sharply. "While you're in my possession you will do what I tell you to, Naraku is not something that will be discussed and you will stay put."

Surprisingly enough she didn't reply. Her hot air had seeped through her feet with the chilly look he was giving her. Maybe she should just keep her mouth shut and do what he told her for once, especially given that the look on his face promised unpredictable consequences.

Just as quickly as it had gone however it reappeared as his words filtered back through her head. "In your possession?" she repeated, her voice low and threatening, promising an argument.

She had just begun rallying her thoughts on how she was going to blast him when the space separating them vanished. She was suddenly all too aware that he was looming in front of her again, but his angry visage had faded once more into something expressive but yet unidentifiable.

She was frozen under the stare he was pinning on her. Trapped under the lighted gold orbs. "I know what you're thinking - 'you shouldn't have come', 'stupid girl' and on and on. Well I don't want to hear it," she declared.

He just stared demonstrating a patience that drove her crazy.

"Don't stare at me like that! I had to come. I can't sit at home and worry!"


The room was cold, colder than the rest of the house, but no matter what actions he took the temperature wouldn't rise. He slid the door open and stepped inside. The room was empty except for the bundle on the floor. Still and silent, and barely looking to be breathing - Naraku stepped within uneasily. Even he was not comfortable here.

"Father," he called, but the older man on the floor didn't move or acknowledge the call and so Naraku repeated it.

Still, no response. Finally he heard a tired, shaky breath and watched his father's chest rise and then slowly fall as his lungs deflated. He'd been this way for days now, almost a couple of weeks even.

He was still unsure of what was happening, but his father seemed to have aged thirty years or so. He appeared the same, but was no longer coherent. He had to remain in his bed, his eyes never opening, and his lips dry and chapped. The room was stale smelling, old and dry and the sound of his father's rattled breathing was like a death beacon. It was utterly disturbing.

He approached his father's bedside and kneeled there, reaching hesitantly for the man and touching the skin upon his hand. Cold.

"Father?"

Nothing. A moment or so later the patient took another struggling breath and fell silent once more. He sat in the perturbed silence several minutes longer until he heard the servant he'd been waiting on. A young girl stepped inside, followed by two other girls bearing trays. It was time to change and bathe him. Feeding his ailing father was difficult if not impossible - but despite his lack of food the man still lived. That too, disturbed him, caused him to fear as he thought back over Kanna's words.

He had searched, high and low for the Shikon jewel once he'd arrived here, but it wasn't to be found. He had confirmed however it had been delivered to him, but no one had seen it since and no one had thought of it after his father had fallen ill.

"Senaka-sama, there is a man for you in the front hall."

He stood quickly and left the room, taking his bothered feelings with him. There he found the servant he'd sent out to the Higurashi shrine. The man trembled before him in his nervousness.

"I-I did what you said…"

"And?"

He shrugged. "I don't know… I don't know… I don't think she believed me."

Naraku frowned deeply. "Clearly I overestimated your worth to me." He snarled.

The man seemed to wilt and began to protest when another stepped in behind him.

"Senaka-sama, urgent news! Higurashi Kagome is missing!"

"Missing?" he drawled. "What do you mean, 'missing'?"

"There is chaos at the Higurashi Shrine - no one knows where she has gone to and some of her things are missing. I have heard she has run off with that straggler, Kouga."

"Kagome and Kouga?" He repeated and almost immediately dismissed it. "Impossible, but still. Find Kouga - that shouldn't be too hard and see if he has seen her."

"That is it, my Lord, he has been spotted in a tavern in town. We believe she may already be here."

"Find out where that pest Masaharu Sesshoumaru is - if she is here in town, she will be with him."

He grinned sardonically and both men shivered before fleeing. The younger of which hadn't been dismissed, but at the moment he didn't really care. He hated disorder when it wasn't of his doing. Things were getting out of hand. Scratch that - things were beyond out of hand. He could only imagine where the girl had run off to but it probably had to do with that irritating lord, Masaharu. He scowled suddenly.

Kagome's interest in Masaharu Sesshoumaru was an unpleasant obstacle. If the man wasn't enough of a nuisance on his own, now he was aiming to steal his woman, and he wasn't about to take it lying down. He cast a backwards glance toward his father's chambers.

With his 'dear' father in such a dire predicament there was no one to stop him from killing the troublesome bastard. He was going to enjoy this tremendously.


He didn't like it. The way she sent him spiraling from a great high to a depressing low. She was a springboard for emotions he didn't want.

He was making her nervous again with his nearness given her rambling. Now she was making erratic hand motions and faces and nodding emphatically at something, but his ears had ceased listening to her chatter.

"You talk too much," he decided suddenly aloud.

The comment served to silence her temporarily, but it only seemed to boost her irritation at him as she raised a hand with an accusatory finger and leveled it at him. She started in again with another line of ramblings - and he found himself wanting nothing more than her silence.

She was frustrating when he had to deal with her like this. He was tired, and had things to think about. Important things, things beyond the vexing beauty that was currently snapping at him. He needed no reminders of why he was here, but her presence to him was an unnecessary distraction.

Somehow he'd known as he stared at her earlier that evening she'd attempt to flee from him. She had a penchant for running, he knew that all too well. It was completely unfair for her to be the angry one - he was the one expending his time and energy on her account and then she has the nerve to come up here and make outrageous claims.

He reached forward, resting a hand upon the round curve of her shoulder and pulled her forward. Her feet remained stubbornly planted on the floor however and she fell, slanted against him, and she struggled to right herself while her mouth continued moving. He pulled her tighter, pressing her mouth against his chest muffling the sound and after a moment or two she finally quieted.

He draped one arm around her and then another, cradling her against him. He was so tired, he sighed heavily. It had been a long day. His eyes drifted closed, one hand absently stroking through her hair.

"Go to bed, Kagome."

"But -"

"You've had a long day - rest."

His voice was purposely soft and gentle, coaxing her into obeying. By the uncertain look upon her face he knew he had her. This time she would do what he wanted. She would follow his orders this time. Given how it seemed to be such an effective strategy he decided to use it more often.


The night was solid and dark. The rented house was eerily quiet and Kagome mutely wondered if it was always this way. She pressed the matter aside as her mind drifted to other things, namely Sesshoumaru. He'd manipulated her earlier. She knew and she'd let him do it. She'd let herself be charmed by his gentle behavior and softly purred words. Known and allowed it, she thought, sighing.

It had been an overall weird night really. She hadn't been able to sleep and it had less to do with Sesshoumaru than she suspected. Maybe it was simply hard to sleep away from home, after all she did find everything about this place to be frightening. Every sound and rustle made her jump and her heart pound. She really was getting carried away. Still, something was telling her it wasn't right, something wasn't right.

Her ears were tingling in a way that was making her increasingly nervous. Suddenly, compelled by something she couldn't identify she rose from her bed and moved in the darkness toward the door, feeling her way along. Maybe if she went to him he could - she froze suddenly hearing the distinct slide of a door and pressed herself flat against the wall.

Who was up and moving around at this hour? It wasn't her door that was open, she thought, the sound had been muffled, unclear. It was someone else's door. Moments later she heard more movement, frantic and rushed, and things being knocked over. Either someone was lost, or there was something happening, but her own thundering heart prevented her from investigating. It almost sounded like a fight but that couldn't possibly be. She felt herself moving toward the door when she heard it slide open, then one, possibly two people rushed through. They seemed to fumble through her bedding if her ears were working correctly and then they tore open a window and escaped.

What had just happened? All she could see was blackness.

She stepped out into the hall silently, feeling her way along the wall when she came to an open doorway.

"H-hello?" She called softly.

"Kagome," a deep familiar voice groaned from within. "Light a candle."

She quickly complied, unused to have to search the dark for such things, but this was a far out, rural location with no electricity. It took several minutes, but finally a small candle blazed through the darkness illuminating the room as much as it could. She turned to him, concerned at the sound of his voice earlier. She stopped at what she saw. Blood.


He stared up toward the ceiling. The first rays of dawn's light were beginning to filter in, lifting the unmerciful darkness. Beside him he could feel her curled up against his side, one arm under her head, the other across his waist.

The injury incurred upon him by the fumbling intruders wasn't that serious by his assessment. The girl however seemed a bit more concerned, but he had a mind to think she was given to over dramatizing things. He winced as her arm tightened around him momentarily, pressing down onto his stab wound, but she loosened the grip and he relaxed once more.

She had refused to leave him last night, but neither had he tried to convince her to return to her own room. She'd taken it upon herself to stay and watch over him but eventually fell asleep. She'd curled against him quite naturally while she slumbered, and on one occasion she'd sighed his name sweetly.

Under other circumstances he might have enjoyed this scenario. He might have teased her subtly when she woke about her position, but not this time. His mood was heavy, laden with anger. The girl at his side was far more trouble than he'd ever realized. She was far more expensive than one would ever guess she could be.

Yet there would be no going back from today. The girl who had so easily snuggled up with him, the girl who had so foolishly traveled all this way because she was worried about him, the girl who had very clearly and suddenly awakened was his. It was no longer a proclamation of property.

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" Her voice was low, and tentative.

This was no longer the simple issue of protecting her. He could no longer convince himself he wanted to protect her because of obligation. He could not ignore this - Naraku's blatant attack on him. Last night he had had his blood spilled for her. The blood staining his clothes and bedding was the last straw to break any doubts he'd had about what he was going to do with her. No woman was worth his blood unless he was going to keep her.

He would remove Naraku and she would return with him to where she now belonged. The Masaharu Estate. If her dimwitted family had any idea what was good for them, they wouldn't oppose him.

He'd ignored her call and she had pulled herself away from him in response. She was now sitting up, her back to him, head slightly down. He could only imagine what thoughts she had in mind.

He was so tired. He had forced himself to keep awake last night to protect her in case the idiots came back. With daylight now upon them he was certain they would be safe. It wouldn't be that much longer, once he rested a bit, he was going back, previous plan discarded.

Things had gotten surprisingly easier for him following this affront, especially if Naraku wanted to kill him. He felt his mouth turn up into a grim smile, much easier indeed.

He turned his attention back to the girl at his side. She looked to be very much deep in thought. When he thought she might rise to leave him he called to her. His voice was weak, and she would probably think he was on the verge of death.

Sure enough, she whirled toward him, eyes wide with concern.

"What is it? Are you in pain? Do you need me to bring you anything?"

"Go tell Jaken to prepare my things - we leave at sunset."

"Do you really think it's a good idea to travel in your condition?"

He narrowed his eyes slightly at her and she immediately stood.

"Of course, I'll tell him at once."


The ride to the mountainous retreat and back took about a day on horseback. Kagome had spent the entire trip caught between discomfort, fear, and anxiousness. Partly because Sesshoumaru's horse scared her and partly because she was worried about the injured man controlling the horse, but it wasn't that long a trip.

Especially after a hiss of pain had escaped his lips and made its way to her ears. She hadn't stopped pestering him since then, but she got the odd impression he might be feigning his annoyance at her.

She was both overjoyed and disappointed when she was finally let off that accursed animal and had her feet upon solid ground. For more than the fact her backside was hurting from riding all day.

Sesshoumaru dismounted with a grace that belied the fact he was quite seriously wounded and she reached for his hand. She could tell the action surprised him, but he interestingly enough didn't protest. Jaken was left to tend to the horses as she drew him within the house. She expected to be greeted with surprised stares at her handling of the Master of the house, but no one was within, an odd occurrence for when the master returned. However there had not been a formal announcement he was returning either, she thought knowing how this household functioned.

She guided a strangely silent Sesshoumaru down a set of halls where she knew his bedroom was to be located only to be stopped short.

"I am not going to bed, relieve yourself of the notion."

She whirled around. "You can't walk around in your condition, you need to rest."

"Mere scratch, do not delude yourself into thinking I am incapable of handling such a minor injury."

She frowned at him, tossing his hand down, out of her grip. "Fine! Bleed to death for all I care, I'm going home!"

She attempted to walk away, murmuring indignantly about uncooperative men.

"You are going nowhere."

"Says who? You? I don't take orders from you, forget not, Masaharu-sama, I do not work for you anymore."

"Yes you do."

She faltered. "Maybe your delirious or something from the blood loss, don't you remember my family calling me back home? That means I don't work for you anymore."

"I don't give a damn what they have to say about it, you're staying."

Words formed and died on her tongue. Words were incapable of describing the utter happiness such a statement drew forth. "Um… I…"

His feet propelled him forward, toward her, his hand collecting hers once more, this time him leading them down the hallway. She couldn't keep in the smile. His pace was quicker than hers and she stumbled a bit keeping up with his long strides.

Reaching the end of the corridor he slid the door open almost impatiently and stepped inside. The room looked much like the rest of the house except darker. The windows were covered with lengths of dark material apparently to keep the sun out. His bed was on one side while there was a small table and other furniture neatly placed around. Nothing was out of place; it was perhaps the most impeccable room she'd ever seen.

He laid down without her direction and she called out to him she'd be back and not to move.

She headed back down the hall, re-emerging into the main room. Stepping out into the kitchen she found Kaede and Sango, both looked up in surprise.

"Kagome!"

"Do you know where Inuyasha is?"

"Hmmm?" Sango paused. "He's… um…" She glanced at Kaede. "He might be in his room upstairs, I'm not really sure. Why? What are you doing back here? I heard from Miroku that you went after the Master."

"I did." Kagome smiled triumphantly. "I found him, matter of fact, he's in his room right now. He… was injured."

. . .

Fatigue did not normally sneak up on him, and he hadn't realized he was as tired as he now felt until she had left the room. He'd laid down expecting her to say it, and intending to avoid looking as though he were being ordered around.

He found himself startled awake however as she returned, a pile of items now cluttering his clean floor. He managed not to frown as she began tugging at his garments. That too had been expected. She smoothed her hands over his abdomen, and as gently as she could pulled away the bandaged she'd spent so much time on earlier.

She seemed to be listening diligently, as though she expected him to whimper. She was making a fuss over nothing, it's what he wanted to say, but he didn't. He was too tired, and why shouldn't he enjoy being lavished in attention while he had the opportunity. At least however until this Naraku issue was over. Then he intended to be lavished in more attention than this and all hands-on.

She pressed a new bandage over his wound gently and his eyes drifted closed. He had no idea her hands could be so relaxing. Nice to know something about her wasn't troublesome. He assumed she was finished as she pulled a blanket up to his chin.

"Clean up the mess you just made on my floor." He mumbled.

He hated messes, especially in his bedroom - his personal space. He particularly hated it when others made a mess of his room, which was why no one was allowed in this room.

"Not even a 'thank-you', some appreciation." She murmured crossly.

He cracked open an eye, staring at her while she gathered up the things she'd dragged over his floor. She finally glanced back at him, and paused.

"Why aren't you resting?"

"Because someone is mumbling about ingratitude."

She smiled gently at him and urged him to rest before rising. Before she reached the door his voice reached her again.

"Don't leave the house. It's unsafe." He added hoping the little addition would cause her not to question the order.

"Okay."


The house was a bustle with activity over the next few days. Inuyasha sprung up, Miroku tagging along with him again. Kikyo too dropped in for an impromptu visit, apparently not expecting Sesshoumaru to be at home, but Kagome quelled her uneasiness about his presence there.

The master's company was noted, but it was almost as if he wasn't there. Typically the house held an uncomfortable silence over it when he was home and when he left everyone was free to walk and simply be free of the stiff formalism. Now that was how the house felt even though the master was only at the back of the house resting.

She was surprised he'd actually agreed with her and stayed in bed so long. She'd always pinned him as being stubborn, obeying no one's orders but his own. As she entered the kitchen she found Miroku, Sango, Inuyasha, and Kikyo all piled around the table, bottles of sake lined up.

"What are they doing?" she asked Kaede who was preparing the master's dinner.

"I believe he said it was some kind of 'drinking game'?"

Kagome glanced over once more and eyed the scene. It was certainly odd.

"Hey, Kagome wanna play?" Sango called over, her voice sounding a bit off.

"Ah, no thanks."

Miroku stood up, approaching her and slinging an arm around her shoulders.

"It's a great game, Kagome." He continued on with something she didn't catch as she felt his hand slide over her butt. She yelped and Miroku was suddenly and violently jerked backwards by his collar causing him to fall straight over onto the floor because of his uneasy legs.

His head slid back trying to determine who exactly had grabbed him when his eyes, and everyone else's fell upon the Master of the house.

"Oh! Masaharu-sama!"

The group gathered at the table struggled to their feet, Sango staggering and ending up in Kikyo's arms while Inuyasha snickered at it all. Kagome merely watched silently as he strode forward inspecting the table.

"Did I not tell you on previous occasions not to engage in this type of behavior?"

Everyone shrunk back even though his question was directed solely at Inuyasha.

"We were celebrating your recovery."

"Kaede," Sesshoumaru called sharply. "Cease buying and stocking all manner of alcoholic beverages. Apparently my brother and his guests are incapable of responsible behavior. I recommend everyone go to bed."

Everyone moved to obey the command. Sesshoumaru stepped back, his fingers entwining with Kagome's to keep her from leaving as well. If anyone noticed, no one said anything and moments later the kitchen was theirs.

He shifted, catching her at the waist and pulling her against his chest. The motion startled, but pleased her.

"The monk should be disemboweled," he growled.

She smiled. "His hands are just a bit wild, I think."

"All the more reason for their removal."

. . .

She laughed lightly the sound pleasing him even more that it was given expressly to him. For the moment he was happy, but distracted. Naraku still lingered on his mind, as did thoughts of death. He was going to kill him for her, he thought darkly, pressing his lips to her forehead absently, hardly aware of the motion.

Although he had to be careful, he worried for her reaction should she discover that he was masterminding the death of her current betrothed. He had the unhappy feeling she might not approve of his course of action and that would offset his current plans for her once this was all settled. He grinned despite the concerns, it would all work out. He would make it work.


Author's Notes: I go back and forth between loving and hating this story, although I'm baffled as to why you people like it so much. I have over 300 reviews for this story and I still fail to understand its appeal. If you feel inspired or otherwise to leave a review, might you leave also your reason for liking this fic?

Can someone tell me? What is Miroku? A monk or a priest? Is there a difference?

Note: from this point forward, I'll be updating on Monday's. I'm not saying every Monday I'll update, what I'm saying is if you're waiting for a new chapter to a fic, it'll be posted on a Monday. ^_^