InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Breathing ❯ Breathing ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Let Me Sleep
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha
Rating: K (G)
Genre: fluff, or something.
Pairing: Inuyasha/Kagome
Summary: It's the night of the new moon, and Inuyasha can't sleep: “Why the hell did Kagome have to go home tonight of all nights?”
A/N: This was written for a challenge in a livejournal community, in which I had to include lyrics from the Lifehouse song “Breathing.”



Inuyasha leaned against the wall of Kaede's hut, shifting uncomfortably. It was always difficult for him to sleep on the night of the new moon, but tonight he felt especially anxious.

“Why the hell did Kagome have to go home tonight of all nights?” he muttered to himself, causing Shippo to twitch in his sleep. As much as he hated to admit it, since Kagome had come into his life he had been much more at ease on the nights he became human. Now that she had gone home, even with Miroku, Sango, and Shippo nearby, he suddenly felt as vulnerable as he had as a child. And it didn't help that he was overexhausted from an especially intense battle the day before. Although his body was begging for sleep, his mind would not allow him to relax enough to close his eyes.

After a few more minutes of uneasy fidgeting he finally decided that even just resting would be impossible. `
Maybe a walk will calm me down' he thought, slowly rising to his feet, his entire body shaking with exhaustion from the effort. Once outside, he let his feet carry him, not caring where he ended up. He let his mind wander as he walked, and was quite surprised when he found himself at the Bone Eater's well. After considering it for a moment, Inuyasha climbed up onto the edge of the well.

“Might as well,” he said to himself, jumping off the edge and falling through the time slip, “though I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there…”

He grumbled in annoyance as he climbed out of the well on the other side, cursing the effort it took to pull his overtired body up the ladder, and the fact that without his demon powers it was impossible to just jump out like he normally did.

He considered, for a moment, trying to climb up into Goshinboku, but quickly dismissed that idea when he realized how difficult it would be to get up there, and then how far away he'd still be from Kagome. Climbing up onto the roof to sit near Kagome's window was also out of the question. Without thinking, he tried opening the back door to Kagome's house and was surprised to find that it was unlocked.

Her house was dark and quiet. Inuyasha crept slowly through the living room and up the stairs, wincing when a step creaked. Now standing in front of Kagome's bedroom door, he paused for a moment.

`
What the hell am I doing here?' he wondered, reaching for the doorknob and turning it slowly. Little by little, he edged the door open, and peeked around the edge. He stopped briefly when Kagome turned over in her sleep. When her steady, even breathing continued, he cautiously stepped into her room. As quietly as he could, Inuyasha sat down next to Kagome's bed, instantly feeling the tension in his shoulders melt away.

`
That's better,' he thought, smiling to himself as he leaned his back against Kagome's bed. His exhaustion overwhelmed him as he struggled to stay awake, but failed as the steady rhythm of Kagome's breathing lulled him to sleep.

`
This is kinda nice,' he thought, as his eyes fluttered closed and he gave in to his fatigue, `It's where I wanna be.'