InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Promises ❯ The begining of the end. ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Broken Promises

"Hey Kagome!" called Inuyasha trotting across the yard to her "had a good summer?” Smiling Kagome turned to fully face her friend "Hey Inuyasha my hols were ..... eventful how bout you?" Still grinning she threw her arms around her friends neck and gave him a hug, hugging her back Inuyasha gently said "nothing to speak of, quick lets go sign in and get our usual rooms!" walking alongside Inuyasha Kagome fell into one of her usual reveries ' Its so good to be back' she thought gazing around the school she shot a sneak peek at Inuyasha 'I missed him ..a lot' it was common knowledge to pretty much everyone except Inuyasha and Kagome that they were in love but no-one had ever dared say anything, knowing that just one of the pair were a force to be reckoned with, everyone still remembered when Kikyo had made a crack about Inuyashas half blood- she had left the school with three deep wounds from one of Kagome's triatines which she had thrown across the classroom. Stepping up to the front desk they scanned the list for their usual rooms no.'s 2 and 3 they had, had them since their first year at the school and since then had always been theirs, taking the pen from Inuyasha, Kagome signed her name and class next to room 3.

Later that night Kagome lay awake in her 4 poster bed observing her room, when she had done it up she had turned it into a Celtic world, it was her special place that was why it was so important for her to get that room every year. Jumping slightly as the door knocked she called out "Come in" sitting up she checked her hair in the mirror. Hearing footsteps stop just outside her bedroom she looked up just in time to see Inuyasha walk in "hey" he said quietly as he sat down next to her "hey" she replied in a slightly cautious voice "Are you okay?" looking him in the eye she could see that something wasn't quite right " ......Ye,..no" he stammered " Kagome I need to talk to you, this summer was...really weird for me, all the time when I was playing soccer or doing target practice, even when I was sleeping I just... couldn't stop thinking about you ..... I know that, that’s normal to some extent for friends like us but,... I dunno ... I’ve never felt like this.....about anyone" gently taking her hand he continued "Kag I ....... I think I’m in love with you." Looking at him with wide eyes Kagome's thoughts were going a mile a minute 'Omigosh I.......' “Inuyasha I ... I guess, knowing that, it would only be fair to tell you that I spent most of my summer thinking... exactly the same thing" Looking into his bright Amber eyes she something she had never seen there before...... Compassion, love and was that...fear? watching as he gently raised his hand to her cheek she closed her eyes and acted on a sudden impulse to be held by his muscular arms . Unable to believe what was happening Inuyasha just stopped thinking and concentrated on her heartbeat, beating alongside his own ' How could something that caused me so much stress be this easy' he mused as he gently stroked her hair. Looking back up into his eyes Kagome slowly moved her face closer to his, and before she could stop herself she kissed him, it was deeper than any kiss she had ever encountered and she wished that it would never end, that this moment would carry into eternity, the emotions that were now making her chest feel fit to burst were sweeter than any and she knew that only this could be true love “Inuyasha” she murmured after their lips had parted, Gently touching her cheek again, he softly whispered with a slight smile on his lips “what?” Pulling him into a lying position on her bed she laid her head on his chest and murmured gently “I love you” , Smiling he bent his head forward and kissed her forehead before answering back “I love you too” .

The next day Kagome woke up and realising where she was she blushed, Inuyasha still hadn't woken up so she climbed quietly off the bed and onto the floor and taking another look at Inuyashas sleeping form she slipped quietly into the bathroom.

Opening his eyes Inuyasha recognised the inside of Kagomes room "Kag" he called softly "Kagome" he called again. "I'm in the bathroom" She called in reply as the door opened and Kagome stepped out in her school uniform- she was a part of the blades class so she had a red uniform consisting of a tight full length top with a steep neckline which Kagome had cut in herself and also some tight fitting hipster pants, both had black detail and showed off her slim and somewhat muscular figure, her triatines strapped across her back, the look was topped off by her raven black braid cascading from the top of her head down to mid- back "whats wrong?" she questioned throwing her plait over her shoulder "nothing" said Inuyasha as he moved closer and kissed her, "wow, i haven't seen you in that for so long" he said observing her slender body "Yeah well you'd better go and get suited up yourself loverboy" she said smirking, quickly kissing him gently on the lips she pushed him out the door "meet me back here in twenty minutes, kay?" she said closing the door. "girls" mutterd Inuyasha shaking his head he walked into his room.

Twenty minutes later Inuyasha and Kagome walked hand in hand down to the dining hall, Inuyasha was now fully suited just like Kagome with his scythe across his back the chain coiled over his arm with another strap to stop it from uncoiling. Kagome and Inuyasha both scowled as they saw the knowing smirks on all of the seniors faces (the new students remained oblivious to this seeing as they only knew Kagome- and that was only because the seniors had pointed her out before they had even properly entered the school) "Kagome," muttered Inuyasha looking at her, "Is it just me or is everyone staring at us?".

"beep" a small noise came from his bag awaking Kagome from her reverie as she pondered a battle strategy "beep" getting up she went to answer the text
Kagome
do ya wanna come away with me this weekend?
My parents have a villa on the coast.
Yash X
hurrying to text back she quickly typed
I'd luv 2!
Cant wait
xoxo
with butterflies in his stomach Inuyasha hurriedly messaged back
Awesum
cya at 8?
X

Standing at her window Kagome stood and watched for Inuyashas car, seeing it pull off the main road and start up the drive she hurriedly checked her reflection in the mirror, smiling slightly she scrutinised her reflection closely, her shining raven hair had been freed from its usual tight braid and flowed like a river around her, she was wearing her favourite jeans which were a deep brazen red and a black tank top which was adorned with bright red flames. Quickly slipping on her red stilletos she hurriedly grabbed her phone, wallet, suitcase and keys, locked her door and ran down the stairs. "Hey" she called to Inuyasha as he climbed out of his car, kissing him softly on the lips she slid into the passenger seat of his zippy little blue convertible. "It's about a three hour drive " he said pulling back onto the main road and grasping her hand in his they sped off together into the night.

"Hey Inuyasha" Kagome asked turning from the dark countryside "yeah " he said changing gear then looking at her "do you think....... we'll be together forever?" she asked nervously. Looking at her with slightly sad eyes Inuyasha slowed the car and pulled over to the edge of the road, putting on the brake he turned to fully face her "Kagome, i know we've known each other for ages but it feels like i've only just really got you, and i'm commited to being with you for as long as you'll have me, okay" he murmured stroking her cheek,"Promise" she murmured gazing at him innocently, "I promise" he whispered, smiling he pulled her closer and softly kissed her.

Kissing him back Kagome melted at his touch, a thousand emotions flowing and dancing through her. When he broke away from her his bright eyes searched her face for any tiny shred of uncertainty, finding none he squeezed her hand gently and peeled away from the edge of the road speeding up the dark trail.

Turning back to Kagome Inuyasha never saw the fallen tree that lay across the road and didn't react quickly enough when Kagome screamed for him to stop, in fact he barely had enough time to turn before the car slammed into the tree, the metal gave as though it were a can that had been stood on, crumpling beneath the pressure the back end flew up into the air and as it did Inuyashas head slammed into the steering wheel.

Her eyelids fluttering open Kagome didn't immediately know where she was however seeing Inuyasha slumped over the steering wheel brought it all back the sound of skidding wheels, the smell of burning rubber, that bone shattering, earth quaking smash and the heart breaking groan Inuyasha had emmited before he slipped into unconciousness, dimly registering the blood steadily pouring from Inuyashas head and abdomen Kagome showed amazing strength by lifting his limp body from under the steering wheel, sobbing she leapt from the wreckage and laid Inuyashas still form gently on the grass. "Yash" she whispered tears flowing steadily down her cheeks, grabbing her mobile she quickly dialled the emergency number "come on" she hissed "come on" hearing a voice on the other line she immediately blurted "Ambulance" listening carefully she gave their details where they were and what not. Hanging up the phone she turned to Inuyasha, slumping at his side she pulled open his shirt to get a better look at the damage the steering wheel had inflicted, gasping she observed the mangled flesh that was freely spilling blood, a strangled sob escaped her lips as she watched the clour drain from his face her mind completely void of ideas on what to do, suddenly a loud siren cut through her reverie "Miss Higurashi" a deep male voice called "Can you hear me?". With her heart racing Kagome ran towards the voices "OVER HERE" she yelled in a voice she didn't recognise as her own "PLEASE HURRY", leading them back to where Inuyasha lay unmoving she silently prayed to every deity she could think of to watch over him.

Sitting beside Inuyashas bed at the hospital she was unable to stop the tears from running down her face , the doctors had told her that there was a great chance that he wouldn't pull through. Turning to look at his strong, handome features she saw his eyelids flutter, smiling she moved to sit on the edge of his bed. "Ka, kagome" he murmured reaching for her hand "Shhh, save your strength" she whispered stroking his cheek and squeezing his hand gently "your gonna be ok" she said vainly trying to stop her tears from falling "Kagome i, i'm not going to come out of this, i'm so, so sorry" he whispered a tear of his own sliding onto the bed spread "No, no you are, you have to" Kagome said hysteria starting to take hold on her voice "Kag-babe come here" he muttered opening his arms to her. As she slid into his grip she started to sob her body shaking uncontrollably "Kagome I love you, ok, and you know i'd never leave you willingly right? My body just isn't gonna hold out much longer, so please i'm begging you Kag just kiss me, tell me you love me and let me go". As Kagome looked up into his brilliant amber eyes she couldn't believe that he was saying this to her, her Inuyasha telling her that he was just giving up "I do love you Yash, with all of my heart, but i'm just not ready to say goodbye yet, please don't go, don't leave me, not now, you promised me, promised we'd always be together, i'm not ready to let you go" she said looking back up into his eyes "Please Kag" he whispered in a strained voice "I need to go, its my time, but i can't leave without a proper goodbye from you, please Kag it hurts, be brave .... for me and....for us" he said smiling slightly, seeing the look of pain on his face Kagome leant forward and kissed him, silently telling him how much she loved him.

In the taxi on the way home the next day Kagome was slumped against the seat her hand clasped around a small object Inuyasha had pressed into her hand before he died, looking down at the gold band in her hand she stared into the sparkles and flashes of the precious rock as she remembered what he had said before he finally slipped away 'I'm sorry it was never our time Kag i was gonna ask you this weekend, will you marry me?". A tear slipped down her face as she recalled this moving sliver of information and as the taxi drove smoothly into the driveway Kagome fixed her mind on all the good times they shared together and as those memories flooded her mind Kagome forgot all about Inuyashas broken promises.