InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Burning Secrets ❯ Chapter three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three
 
Kagome woke to Souta's voice calling her name. She blinked and opened her eyes. Immediately she shut them again. The sun was shining full blast through her widow, nearly blinding her in her half-awakened state. For a moment she wondered at the fact that she felt oddly ecstatic. Then it all came back to her: her date with Hojo, and that amazing good night kiss (dampened slightly by Souta's extremely untimely interruption.)
 
She took her time in the shower, not sure when Inuyasha would be showing up to drag her back into the Feudal Era. When she eventually did make her way downstairs she found Souta, Inuyasha and Grandpa sitting at the kitchen table. Inuyasha, who had been poking at a plate of pancakes and sausage as though the might still be alive, looked up when she came in. Annoyance, impatience and… something else were written across her features.
 
“Oi, wench, what took you so damned long? I've been waiting here forever for you to wake up!” he said irritably between nit-picky bites. Kagome gave a frustrated sigh and plopped down beside him, making a plate up for her.
 
Way to end a perfect morning, she thought sourly to herself. After she finished a quick breakfast she went upstairs to pack her infamous yellow bag. She didn't notice the small box Souta had given her the night before even as she grabbed the stack of books beside it to put in her bag. When she had everything she felt she'd need for her stay in the past she ran back downstairs to collect Inuyasha.
 
Another thing that escaped Kagome's attention as she readied to go was Inuyasha's docile mood. He seemed rather docile and distant, bordering on detached. He didn't call her a wench again or a bitch even once, or snap at her at all. And, if she hadn't been so wrapped up in her memories of her date the night before, Kagome might have noticed this. But, as it stood, she didn't see a single thing.
 
By noon they were once again in Feudal Japan, and by twelve thirty they were on another shard hunting expedition. Like many of the others, however, this one was quick and unremarkable, not even yielding an actual jewel shard for their troubles.
 
When they got back that evening Kaede taught Kagome how to make stew out of a rabbit the older woman had caught while they were gone. As soon as it was finished everyone dug in, hungry from their travels and their fight with the demon that afternoon. They all seemed to enjoy the stew, with the exception of Inuyasha, who merely poked sullenly at his food.
 
“Are you not going to eat, Inuyasha?” Miroku asked casually. Apparently he was the only one who'd noticed Inuyasha's dejected manner that day, and while he hadn't really wanted to mention it in front of the others, he had promised Sesshoumaru that he'd keep an eye on him.
 
“What's wrong, Inuyasha, is my cooking not good enough for you?” Kagome demanded. Inuyasha as well as Miroku, surprisingly enough, glared sharply at her.
 
“It's not your cooking, I'm just not all that hungry today. Though that God-awful stench wafting up from my bowl isn't helping any,” Inuyasha responded, a glint of his normal self appearing in his eyes and voice. Unfortunately for him Kagome took the insult to her food very seriously, even if she had set herself up for it.
 
“Osuwari!” she yelled, and the spell in his beads sent Inuyasha to the ground. He didn't try to resist the pull, nor did he let loose his normal array of curses; he merely waited for the effects of the spell to wear off before jumping up and storming out, slamming the door loudly behind him.
 
“He's a bit touchier than normal today, isn't he?” Kagome asked calmly when he was gone, already eating again in her normal, cheerful mood. Miroku's already harsh glare deepened, enough to send shivers down her spine.
 
“Don't you think that you overreacted just a bit?” he snapped. The others stared at him, shocked at this outburst. It was rare for Miroku to get even annoyed with anyone in their group aside from Inuyasha. It was even rarer for him to seem truly mad like this.
 
“What are you talking about? He was being awfully rude.” Kagome retorted. Inuyasha had insulted her in response she had done what she always did- she sat him for his ignorance and his attitude. She saw nothing wrong with her actions, and didn't understand why Miroku was getting bent out of place about this.
 
“And you weren't?” Miroku challenged evenly.
 
“What's the matter with you?” Kagome questioned, growing annoyed now. “Jeez, it's not like it hurts him or anything. Why are you making such a big deal out of this?
 
“She's right,” Sango added. “Inuyasha is a half demon. He can take a beating and just keep going.”
 
Miroku's eyes widened a bit, then narrowed dangerously, focusing solely on Kagome. “Physically, yes, you are right. It wouldn't do much damage for Inuyasha to be `sat' a few times, or even a hundred times probably. But did it ever occur to you what it might do to him emotionally, the way you throw `sits' around like they're nothing? Did you ever stop to think about how degrading and humiliating it must be for a dog demon to be given a command like that as though he were a disobedient house pet, and to have a curse that makes him have to follow that order? Or how much it has to pain him that you, the one he lives day and night to protect, is the same one who forces this fate upon him?”
 
“Oh please,” Kagome growled sarcastically. “We all know that's not true. Inuyasha only worries about me so much because he knows that I'm the only one who can see the jewel shards. He knows that without me around it would take at least twice as long to find all the pieces of his stupid jewel.
 
“Besides, if the rosary and its spell bothered him even half as much as you say then why doesn't he just ask me to take them off? Maybe because he couldn't care less about something as stupid as that! It probably doesn't even matter to him, and neither do I!”
 
Kagome was nearly in tears by the end of her rant, but more from anger at Miroku than anything else. Miroku, who had lost his appetite by now, as well as his temper, gave a disgusted grunt and threw his bowl to the ground. Glaring once more at the girls he followed Inuyasha's example by stalking out, grabbing his staff on the way.
 
Kagome and Sango watched him go, shocked and confused by the outburst. After a moment Kagome let out an angry huff before resuming her meal. Sango started to eat again, as did Kaede, who had quickly cleaned up what remained of Miroku's meal. Only Shippou seemed concerned about their male friends, even if he was wise enough not to mention it.