InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bygones ❯ Bygones ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Bygones

Bad and good are intertwined like rope.

--Japanese Proverb

When he is a newborn, he is perfect. Chichi-ue's pride, Haha-ue's joy; he is theirs.

When he is a child, he is learning. He falls and scrapes his knee; he cries only once. He bows in greeting to his servant friend; he is slapped only once. He takes his kanji lessons; he is incorrect only once. He duels with other boys; he loses only once.

When he is a youth, he is arrogant. He orders a servant to commit seppuku when they spill his tea; he is reprimanded by Chichi-ue. He scorns the girl he is offered at an inn; he is chastised by Haha-ue. He scoffs at his cousin's swordplay; he is scolded by Oba-san. He refuses the katana he is given by Oji-san; Chichi-ue beats him.

When he is a young man, he is tested. He reads poetry to his sick Haha-ue; he is rewarded with her smile. He holds a tea ceremony for his sick Haha-ue; he is praised by her. He carries his sick Haha-ue to watch the sunset; he is contented in her company. He burns osenko for his dead Haha-ue; he is accepting of her karma.

When he is an adult, he is angered. He lectures Chichi-ue's new choice of mate; he is rebuked. He frightens Izayoi-san; he is avoided. He accepts his birthright katana; he is angered. He receives his first sibling; he is ashamed.

When he is a brother, he is adored. He ignores little Inuyasha; he is superior. He watches sleeping Inuyasha; he is disgusted. He hates half-breed Inuyasha; he is humiliated. He leaves home and baby Inuyasha; he is unwilling to live with his Chichi-ue's shame.

When he is a son, he is imperfect. He is not infant perfection that is Inuyasha; he is faulted. He is not satisfied with the Tensaiga; he is dishonoured. He is not in agreement with Chichi-ue; he is outcast. He is not unbiased; he is mistaken.

When he is an orphan, he is hardened. He cannot save his dying Chichi-ue; he is failed. He cannot have his dying Chichi-ue's sword; he is unworthy. He cannot come to terms with his dying Chichi-ue; he is not forgiven. He cannot recover his dead Chichi-ue's body; he is robbed.

When he is a rover, he is distant. He hears of his half-brother Inuyasha; he is uncaring of the hanyou's failures. He accepts the toad's loyalty; he is indifferent to the youkai's unnecessary servitude. He knows of the Shikon no Tama; he is above the petty jewel's power. He is aware of his half-brother Inuyasha's imprisonment and shame; he is not associated with the failures of the hanyou.

When he is a lord, he is ambitious. He hears of the Tessaiga; he is greedy for its power. He learns of his half-brother Inuyasha's waking; he is intent upon taking what is his. He realizes the Tessaiga will not have him; he is angered by Chichi-ue's cunning. He knows of a great sword smith; he is resolute in his quest.

When he is a man, he changes. He masters the evil katana, Toukijin; he is once again full samurai. He masters Chichi-ue's gift, his birthright, the Tensaiga; he is redeemed in the eyes of his dead Chichi-ue. He speaks to the Tensaiga; he is savior to little Rin, she of embodied sunshine. He meets with the wind sorceress; he is tempted by her ruby eyes, but does not sway.

`But this is karma,' he thinks, and looking down at little Rin of embodied sunshine, he nods. `Yes, that is my karma.'

He looks to the red of bleeding sky, his legs carrying him far down the road of tomorrow, and behind him lies the past, its long rope trailing behind him in the dusty road of not quite forgotten.

And still he is.