InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Catch and Release ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Name of Fiction/Chapter: Catch and Release
Drabble Entry #: 6. Netting
Characters Involved: Kagome & Inuyasha
Fandom or Original: Inuyasha
Rating of Fiction: PG-13
Word Count: 576
Birds scattered in a rush, startled by two things: a trap engaged and the angry trapped prey. Fleeing for safety was instinct. Nothing good would come from catching a monster like that.
The yelling grew louder, more explicative, as the creature grew more frustrated with its new prison. It shook the giant oak tree with each strangled movement. Leaves scattered toward the ground in gentle twirls. But still the trap held its new captive.
Silence spanned for a few moments, as the creature relaxed for a moment to gather his breathe and energy. Then with a silent huffing breathe, the creature moved, attempting to stretch the thick ropes away from his body to get his claws where he needed them to be.
Instead of the ropes moving like he had hoped, the whole trap suddenly collapsed from above, sending creature and trap hurdling to the group.
THUD!
The creature hissed in pain from the impact of the fall, the wind momentarily knocked from his lungs. Dazed, he state through the thick ropes to see the emerald green canopy above him, sunlight trickling through the leaves.
The creature growled, more angered now than before. It started to struggle wildly on the ground, slashing here and there to try and free itself.
“Stupid fu-!” He paused in his tirade and movements, his ears and nose perked. Something else was here. He calmed his breathing and closed his eyes, his ears searching for even the tiniest of sounds.
It was then he realized no animals were making a sound. All animals have the instinct to know when a predator is nearby. Survival of a species depended on it. Whatever was out there could very well be-
His eyes flashed open. Gold clashed with blue. The eyes above him blinked once. Twice. Each time the orbs getting closer to his own. Confusion mixed with innocent curiosity.
“Well, I was hoping for a usagi-youkai for food, but I don't believe koinu-hanyou make good meals.” The voice was soft and feminine.
He blinked. A female? He was caught by a girl?! Then something about what she said finally dawned on him. With a snarl, he roared, “I'm not a puppy, bitch!”
“Oh?” a soft giggle followed. “So even big doggies fall into easy traps like this? My, my. It's a wonder how your species survives.”
He snarled again, his claws surging upward toward the eyes. His claws hit air, not even a prick of flesh. A giggled followed as she disappeared from his view. “Damn it! Stay put so I can kill you!”
Hot breathe, filtered by his right ear, followed by startling moistness along the edge of the ear. “Well then, kill me if you can, puppy.”
“You! You!” he raged in shock. “You licked me!”
A giggle sounded again this time though it was getting farther and farther away.
With a sudden strength he didn't know he possessed, he ripped the net to shreds. He rolled to his side and sprang to the balls of his feet, shaking of the ropes, dirt and leaves from his body. The prey had just become the predator. He took a deep breathe, pulling in the scent of his escaping captor. He grinned.
“Getting caught in a net isn't always bad,” he mused, springing into the air. The trap sprung, the challenge exchanged, and the hunt begun. All that was left was to conclude the final step in the ritual. Catch his new mate.