InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Changing Winds ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A blood laced scream echoed throughout the entire forest. A young raven haired woman clutched, with trembling fingers, her bleeding abdomen. She searched desperately the faces of those who witnessed her final demise. Her head shot back for a final cry of pain and misery before she buckled in the pool that was her own blood, and finally, fell with dark eyes to the ground. Her best friend ran wildly for the fallen body, and gently cradled her head, all the while weeping words of apologizes into deaf ears. Tears fell like rain upon Sango's face, erasing the dirt in their path. Kagome rocked insanely, and stroked Sango's hair with a gentleness that only she possessed.

"Sango, please... please open your eyes. Please wake up... please. I'm so sorry... please forgive me.", she cried desperately. The sleeping woman stirred in Kagome's arms. This gesture went didn't go unnoticed by the young miko and she clutched even more desperately to her friend, as if the life could slip from her arms. Sango moaned in pain and she stared up at her friend.

"...Kago... gome?", she whispered softly. Kagome's face lit up and she pressed her finger to her swollen, bloodied lips.

"Please don't talk... you're badly injured.", Kagome pleaded. Sango's response was only a weak nod and her head lolled to the side, taking in for the first time, the desperate battle taking place before her.

Inuyasha and Miroku were facing down the cat youkai that attacked her. Miroku forced open his wind tunnel to suck in the youkai, but it held it's ground firmly, and it didn't budge. Inuyasha grew impatient with the vain attempt and signaled with his arm for Miroku to stop. He complied, and Inuyasha rushed the cat head-on. It saw the attack and knocked the hanyou into the ground with a swipe of his massive paw. Sango sat up abruptly, and pain shot through her wounded body, forcing her back into Kagome's lap.

"NO! Inuyasha! Don't!", Sango screamed out her emotional cry. Kagome's head snapped to look at the young woman rested on her, trying to read her teary eyes. Compassion, sorrow, guilt, and finally one Kagome couldn't understand, flared across her features as she watched her friend laying unconscious on the ground. Kagome stood up and grabbed her bow and arrow, and took careful aim. In one delicate, fluid motion, she let an arrow fly, piercing the air with a powerful whistle. In the last moment, the cat youkai sidestepped, and the attack only grazed it's cheek. The youkai narrowed it's red eyes at the young priestess, and charged at her, shaking the earth with it's powerful steps. In an instant, time slowed down, and Kagome swore that her thundering heart beat could be heard throughout the forest. She froze in place and braced for the blow that could only mean her doom. In her last seconds of life, she let her lover's name fall in a whisper from her lips. Inuyasha.

That's when she heard it. A sickening tear of flesh and muscle, that could only be her own. She closed her eyes and waited for the pain to course through her body, crippling her with pain. It never came. She opened her eyes, only to see the earth beneath her, slowly slipping away from her sight. Kagome smirked and blinked back the tears in her eyes. 'At least death isn't painful.' She thought sadly. Kagome looked up only to see the face of the one that she held most dear. Inuyasha. She looked around for first time and noticed that she was in his arms, and they were falling back to earth. They landed silently, with only the grace a demon could muster and he put her back on the ground. Kagome looked around for the demon, and was greeted by the sight of a heap of furry flesh that laid dead in the space she was previously stuck in. Sango's bloodied boomerang was through it's back, claiming the creature's life, and victory for the small group. Kagome looked around for her friend and found her in the arms of Miroku who was trying to stop the blood from flowing from her body. It was a pointless battle, and Sango's blood pooled from her abdomen, soaking Miroku's robes. He looked up sadly at the duo and shook his head slowly.

"She won't make it. She's losing so much blood, and I can't stop it from flowing. She will die soon.", he choked out, and turned his head in an attempt to hold back his tears.

Kagome knees went weak at the word, 'die', and she collapsed to her ground. Her shoulders heaved, and her lips trembled as the tears rained from her gray-blue eyes. She wrapped her pale arms around herself, through her head back and screamed. She shuttered a cry and screamed another blood laced cry to the heavens. Inuyasha shook his head at the grim situation.

"BULL!", he yelled. "There is no way in seven hells, Sango is going to die. She is much too strong for that. NO! She won't die here not now! We won't give up on her, she never gave up on any of us, and she never let us down. Hell no! We are not going to sit here and cry when she's not even dead yet! What we're gonna do is take her to Keade's to heal do you hear me?!"

His words went unheard as Kagome and Miroku sat and continued whispering words of prayer and grief to Sango's limp body. Inuyasha growled loudly and snatched Kagome up by her collar, bringing her to eye's height. She screamed loudly in his face, but Inuyasha spoke anyway.

"I can't believe you! Sango is lying there because she wanted to protect you, and you can't even pull yourself together to help her! You were supposed to be lying there not her! That cat demon was aiming at you when it attacked! Not her! She pushed you out of the way! Hell, even when you froze up, she overcame her injury to throw her boomerang and save your life. You can see where that landed her! Kagome this is so pathetic, and I don't know about you, but I'm gonna do something! Some friend you are!"

Inuyasha dropped her on the ground with a dull thud, and marched over to pick up Sango. He was bracing to leave until he heard Kagome's faint voice.

"Inuyasha?"

"What?"

"Me and Miroku will ride Kirara and we will be beside you the whole way."

Inuyasha nodded, "Let's go then!"

*****************************************************

First chapter. Oh yeah I don't own nothing and I'm not making a profit off this story. Blah blah blah. Please review hope you like it blah blah blah. But most importantly... I DEMAND 15 REVIEWS BEFORE I CONTINUE!!! I never get reviews and I want to know what it feels like. (Mmmmm Reviews) So, hope you like it blah blah blah and uh... Love Peace and Soul.