InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Cloud Watching ❯ Traditions ( Chapter 16 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Traditions

"Let's see……something old, that's the necklace your going to wear, something new that's the kimono's, something borrowed, that's the veil Kaede lent you, now all we need is something blue…" Sango sat on Kagome's futon holding all the mentioned objects while Kagome ran about her room looking for things she said would chase away bad luck. "Kagome I really don't think all this is necessary."

Just then Rin came bounding into the room. "Sister Kagome I found it!" She handed a blue beaded bracelet to Kagome. "This will do nicely Rin, thank you." Rin smiled and went to sit next to Sango. "This is tradition Sango. Ok so maybe not a tradition that exists yet, but one day it will be and you'll be the first person to take part in it." She handed the bracelet to Sango.

Sango fingered the bracelet. "If you say so. I guess I really can't take part in my family's tradition so I guess I'll just have to go with yours. As strange as they may sound."

Kagome sat down at her nightstand. "What were your family traditions? Maybe we can do those to." Sango smiled at Rin and patted the spot in front of her. Rin happily sat down and took her hair pin out of her hair. Sango began to run her fingers through the girl's hair and then began to work it into a bun. " My clan had many traditions for different events. However each family had their own tradition when it came to a wedding. My great, great, great, grandmother started ours. It was nothing fancy or elaborate. Each bride in our family would wear a special hairpin on her wedding day.

Rin looked down at her hairpin. "Was it like the one Sesshoumaru gave to Rin." Sango smiled at the girl and took the hairpin. She pressed her cheek to Rin's and held the hair pin out for both to see. "It was made to look like a lotus blossom, and it was made of jade and trimmed in gold." Sango placed Rin's hairpin in the finished bun. "Each bride would wear her hair up just like this with the pin holding it in place. Some brides even cut holes in their veil's to let the pin show through."

Kagome listened to Sango while watching her happily put up Rin's hair. "The pin is still in your village isn't it Sango?" Sango rose to her feet and walked up to the window. "Yes it is. I really don't think I'm ready to go back there just yet. Maybe one day, just not today." Sango turned around and began to gather her `good luck charms'. Kagome hated to see Sango unhappy. There had to be something she could do, but what?

Then she thought of something. "I have a idea, why don't we go to the market place and see if we can find a hairpin for you to use tomorrow?" Sango thought for a moment. She didn't know how long it would be before she felt comfortable enough to go back to her village. When she did get there, there was little chance she would be able to find anything in the rubble, let alone one small hairpin. Besides it would be nice to start her own tradition. "You know that's a good idea Kagome. Rin would you like to come with?"

Rin shook her head yes. "Yes please!" Rin held out her hands to help Sango carry some of her things. Kagome got up and the three started to get ready to leave. "Rin we can pick up a few new kimono's for you while we're there."

"You're going shopping again?! What is that, the fifth time this week?" Inuyasha and Miroku had finally started working on the well house again when the girls told them where they where going. Miroku wiped the sweat off his brow. "Normally I try not to agree with Inuyasha on any one subject but I'll make a exception. My concern is where the money is coming from for this little shopping trip."

Sango was almost too distracted by the commotion going on behind Miroku to actually hear his question. She was busy watching Kagome try to tie Inuyasha's hair up to keep it from getting sweaty and dirty. Inuyasha however was determined not to let her do this. This not only started quite a funny argument but also a very interesting dance as the hanyou tried in vain to keep Kagome form his hair.

Sango shook her head and turned her attention back to her future husband. " Miroku, a woman only gets married once in her life. So any monetary value you try to place on it means nothing."

Inuyasha was now sitting on the ground with Kagome leaning over him. He had each of her wrists in his hands and from the look on his face you could tell he was doing nothing but teasing her. Kagome on the other hand looked very angry and was now desperately trying to have her way. " No Sango I'm sure some women realize the mistake they have made and…ugh….get to have a second wedding." With that Inuyasha reared up and pushed Kagome to the ground. "Just what is that supposed to mean?"

Sango really didn't feel like waiting for Kagome to stop fighting with Inuyasha so she took Rin's hand and started off towards the market. When Kagome realized Sango was leaving without her she tickled Inuyasha on his sides distracting him just long enough to roll away. Jumping to her feet she ran to catch up. "We'll be back before dark."

Dusting himself off Inuyasha was about to go back to work when he noticed the smile on Miroku's face. "What are you smiling at monk?" Miroku picked up his hammer and got back to work. " Oh nothing. I just never knew you were so ticklish." That earned him a whack in the back of the head from one very red faced hanyou.

The girls got back just before dark. Kagome had found three very nice kimono's for Rin, one she would wear tomorrow for the wedding. Sango had looked over the market carefully until she found just the right pin. To stick with the old tradition she had picked a lovely jade lotus blossom hairpin. Unlike the old one this one was made of three blossom's instead of just one. In the center was one large blossom with two smaller on each side of the first.

As night approached, Sango began to feel more and more nervous. Every time she caught Miroku glancing at her she wold quickly turn away and blush. Miroku must have noticed this because he cornered her before she could escape into her room that night. "Sango is something wrong? You've been very quiet."

Sango tried to reassure him she didn't want him to worry. "No Miroku it's noting really. I guess I'm just a little nervous about tomorrow." Miroku wrapped his arms around her waist. "Its probably just Kagome and all the superstitious nonsense she's been telling you about." Sango laughed and placed her head on his shoulder. "Speaking of Kagome we had better not let her see us talking this late at night. She swears that its bad luck to see the bride before the wedding day and its almost midnight."

Miroku stroked his hand through her hair and shook his head. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." Kagome chose that moment to come walking down the hall with Kirara. "Its not ridiculous at all. In fact it's the most important one." Kirara ran up to Sango and jumped up to her arms. She then turned around and hissed at Miroku, something she had never done before. Miroku gave the cat demon a quizzical look. "Don't tell me your siding with Kagome?" Kirara responded by rubbing against Sango's neck and purring loudly.

Kagome crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Do you know what could go wrong if thing's aren't done properly? I once heard a story about a couple who saw each other before there wedding day and right before the wedding……" before Kagome was able to finish telling what disaster accrued to the poor couple she was interrupted by an angry Inuyasha.

Inuyasha had been laying in bed listing to Kagome once again go off on some story about bad luck and some stupid tradition form her time and he had had just about enough of this. She was just about to tell a story he was sure would scare the daylights out of Sango if he let her finish it. He opened the door and stuck his head out. "For the love of god bitch will you just leave them alone! I'm sick and tired of listening to you talking about good luck this and bad luck that. Now shut up, leave them alone, and come to bed!" with that he slammed the door shut.

Sango watched Kagome as she went from surprise to angry and then to calm again. "Well you two do what you want. I for one am going to teach a certain hanyou the meaning of bad luck. I'll see you tomorrow." Kagome turned on her heel, opened the door, "Sit!" walked into the room and shut the door behind her and Miroku and Sango were left in relative quiet. (You could still hear the couple arguing and every now and then a loud thump that marked Inuyasha getting sat again.)

Sango sighed and leaned up and kissed Miroku. " Kagome may be right so I guess I'll be heading to bed now." Miroku hugged her tightly. "I'll see you tomorrow then?" Sango smiled up at him " I'll be there with bells on." Miroku wrinkled his brow in confusion. "Don't tell me she's making you wear bells." Sango burst into laughter. "No it's just an expression from Kagome's time. It means I'll be there for sure."

"Oh." Said Miroku. "That's an odd expression. People from her time must be very strange." Sango turned and opened her door then she turned around and bowed "Good night Houshi."

After a moment Miroku figured out what she was doing and bowed to her. "Good night lady Sango." With that each went to their separate rooms. Tonight would be the last night they would use such respective names.

Tomorrow everything would change.