InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Cloud Watching ❯ End Game ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

I do not own Inuyasha

The person who usually proof reads my work is gone on vacation and wont be back for a few weeks. So until then I will do my best and fix any mistakes when she corrects them. Please forgive me.

End Game

The team had joined up with Kouga's pack to increase their numbers. Even Inuyasha had agreed there was strength in numbers. After Kouga learned Kagome had promised to stay with Inuyasha he kept his hands to himself. Shippo had been left with Kaede to keep him safe.

While the wolf pack had fought through the horde of youkai Naraku had surrounding him, Inuyasha and the others attacked Naraku directly.

Naraku was dead the battle was over.

Kirara found Sango and Miroku. Sango only had suffered a wound to her shoulder and side but nothing life threatening. Miroku had a few broken ribs and was badly beat. Despite that he could only smile. The void was gone and he held out his hand for Sango to see. The two hugged as best they could given their injuries. Then want off to find Kagome and Inuyasha.

Inuyasha reached into the pile of dust that was once Naraku. Out of the ash he pulled the full Shikon no Tama. Inuyasha held it in his hand for a moment and wondered weather it was worth all the lives that were lost because of it.

Inuyasha was torn form his thought when he realized Kagome was not next to him. She had been right behind him when they had attacked. It had been her arrow that stunted Naraku long enough to allow Inuyasha to attack. Now she was nowhere to be found. He held on to the jewel tighter and ran off to look for Kagome. There was too much blood for him to smell her out so he franticly ran around the battle filed.

"KAGONE!" he called, but no answer reached his ears. In the distance he saw Sango, Miroku, and Kirara. He ran up to them hoping Kagome was on the cats back.

"Is Kagome with you?" He called. Sango shook her head. "She was with you last." She franticly looked around. Moving as fast as she could she ran ahead of the group.

"KAGONE!" She called.

The five split up to look for her. Inuyasha ran back to were he had fought Naraku. He found the spot he last saw Kagome. `Maybe she moved to hit Naraku again.' He thought.

He move farther behind were the two had fought. There not far in the distance lay Kagome.

He ran to her and turned her over. She had blood coming out her ears and the corners of her mouth. There was a large cut deep into her side and she was barely breathing. He cradled her in his lap. "Kagome, wake up, please." He moved her hair away form her face and his hand came away red with blood.

"Is she ok?" called Sango. She and Miroku were descending form the sky on Kirara, were they had been searching for Kagome.

Inuyasha didn't hear them all his attention was on Kagome.

Kagome slowly opened her eyes. Her vision was blurry and she could barely hear anything but her own heart pounding in her ears. She looked up and saw Inuyasha. "Are you ok?" she asked her voice shaking. Tears welled up in his eyes. She was dieing and all she could think about was his safety. He hugged her closer to his chest and held her tightly. "I'm fine and your going to be too. I promise."

Miroku leaned down and looked at Kagome's wounds. She had lost too much blood. Even if they treated her wounds she would still die. She was just too weak now. He moved back slowly and held Sango. Sango look up to him and he shook his head. "No she can't die. Please don't let her." Sango broke down in tears and fell to her knees. Miroku held her and tried to calm her. Kirara let out a low howl.

Inuyasha could only hold Kagome and tremble with the hurt and anger he felt inside of him. Tears fell form his face now and he made no attempt to hide them. Kagome's hand reached up and wiped a few form his cheek. He looked into her eyes. "I love you Inuyasha." Kagome said with a small smile. Inuyasha leaned down and kissed her then placed his lips by her ear "I love you too Kagome."

Her hand reached up and touched his neck. No sooner had it come to rest then it fell again lifeless in her lap. Inuyasha could smell death on her now. A low growl started in his chest and built up into a cry of rage. He pulled Kagome to him and let out a scream somewhere between a no and a growl of anger.

`No this wasn't supposed to happen! We were supposed to be together.' He looked down upon her lifeless face. "I wish I could give you my life. I just want you to live." Once again he held her against him bringing his face into her neck.

Miroku turned his head away. Seeing Kagome dead and the pain in Inuyasha was too much for him. He held on tighter to Sango, thoughts of what he would do if he lost her filling his mind.

Sango cried into Miroku's chest. Her best friend was dead. She should have been there to protect her, she should have stayed with Kagome. Sango felt more tears form in her eyes. But out of the corner of her eye she saw a strong pink light. She looked over to it and gasped.

Miroku was pulled from his thoughts by Sango's gasp. He turned his head to look at what had happened and was also greeted by the same pink light.

Inuyasha still sat on the ground slowly rocking Kagome back and forth his face still held close to her neck. Around the two of them was a strong pulsating light. It wasn't until he physically felt the power pulse from Kagome that he raised he head to look at her. Looking at her he could see waves of energy pulsing form Kagome. Each one was weaker than the last, until they stopped and the light disappeared.

Miroku and Sango looked on as the light faded and than they both gasped at the same time. Kagome opened her eyes.

"Inuyasha?" she said looking up at him. Her eyes were half closed and her voice was barely above a whisper but she was alive. Inuyasha looked down in shock. "Kagome your alive." Tears still flowed down his cheeks but he didn't care who saw. "Inuyasha, I'm tired." Kagome said and then she closed her eyes but her breathing remained steady.

Miroku and Sango looked amazed. One minute Kagome had been dead and then the next she was alive again. How could this be?

Inuyasha took off his fire rat haori and rapped Kagome in it. He picked her up and cradled her in his arms. "Come on lets go get our wounds treated." He walked ahead of them with out looking back. The others could only follow him blankly.

The wolves had some good medics with them and everyone was soon taken care of and resting quality. Inuyasha still held Kagome. He hadn't let her go since they had bandaged her wounds. She still had not woken up. Miroku walked up and sat down next to Inuyasha. "How is she doing?"

Inuyasha pulled his haori closer around her sleeping form. "Still sleeping, but her heart beat is steady."

"How do you think it is that she is alive now?" Miroku asked calmly. Inuyasha merely shrugged. "I think that light might have been her miko powers but I'm not sure. How is Sango?" Miroku smiled "Resting, the injury to her arm should recover completely. She'll be up and fighting again in no time." He said with a chuckle. "But for the next few weeks she won't be able to use that arm much. So for two weeks I should be safe to fondle all I want." He said with a dreamy look in his eye.

"You know monk she still has the other arm and two lags. I'd be careful if I were you."

Inuyasha turned his attention back to Kagome. He placed his hand over her heart to get a count on her pulse.

Miroku changed the topic. "What I came to talk to you about was the Shikon no Tama. Were is it?" Inuyasha's eyes got wide. "Shit! I had it in my hand but must have lost it looking for Kagome. I'm an idiot!" he slapped himself in the forehead.

Miroku had been thinking about this all night. "Do you think you still had the Shikon no Tama when you were holding Kagome?"

"I don't know. I was too worried about Kagome. I didn't even think about that damn jewel." Inuyasha was quietly cursing at himself when Miroku spoke again. "Did you wish for Kagome to live again?"

Inuyasha's thoughts cleared and he finally realized what the monk was getting at. "You think the Shikon no Tama brought Kagome back to life?" Miroku leaned back and closed his eyes. "That would explain a lot. I think you made a wish and the jewel grant it." Inuyasha looked down at his hand and flexed his fingers. There in the center of his hand was a burn he had not noticed before. It was right in the palm of his hand and he could see were parts of his fingers were also burnt. He showed it to Miroku. "More than likely" Miroku said, "the jewel is gone now."

" Ya, I only wanted her to live so I probably wished for it. It must have despaired right after it was used." He returned his hand to Kagome's heart. "I don't care any more. Kagome's alive and I'm grateful for that. Nothing else matters." Miroku nodded his head in agreement. "Good night Inuyasha." He got up and left the hanyou and the girl alone. Inuyasha look down at Kagome. He traced a clawed finger along her cheek "You hear that girl, I only care about you now, so you had better get well soon." Inuyasha closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

After three days of traveling the group was only a few hours away form Kaede's village.

Kagome had yet to wake and Inuyasha was getting worried. Something had gone wrong with the spell, he knew it, and he hoped Kaede could fix it.

When they arrived he went to Kaede's hut. "Baba you here?" Kaede rose from her position on the floor. "Welcome back Inuyasha how…." Kaede eyes rested on Kagome's sleeping form. "What happened to Kagome sama?" moving as fast as she could she placed a mat on the floor for Kagome to lie on. Inuyasha gently placed Kagome down and sat by her side. "She died baba. I used the Shikon no Tama to bring her back to life. She's been sleeping for four day's now."

Kaede looked Kagome's wounds over. "What do you mean used the Shikon no Tama? That should not have been possible."

Inuyasha reached his hand out and showed Kaede the burn mark. " I remember having it in my hand when I was holding Kagome but then it was gone. I said and thought a lot of things when she died. One of them might have been a wish for her life. Miroku and Sango say they saw a pink light surrounding us, and I felt a strong pulse of power from Kagome. She opened her eyes once, said she was tired, and has been sleeping ever since."

Kaede took this information in "it's not that simple. The Shikon no Tama can only transfer energy or amplify it. To give Kagome life it would have to pull the life source form somewhere else." Kaede placed each of her hands on Kagome's sides. "Inuyasha step away form her. I'm going to attempt to read her spirit." Inuyasha did as he was told. Kaede took a few deep breaths and concentrated on Kagome's soul. This would be able to tell her most of what had happened. Soon Kaede was in a deep trance. She felt a strong youkai energy surrounding Kagome's soul. When she tried to penetrate it to get to Kagome she was replied. She quickly removed her hands as if she had been burnt.

Inuyasha rushed to her "What happened?" the old woman looked at her hand's than at Kagome. "There is a strong youkai energy surrounding her soul. I can't get past it to read her." Kaede thought about this for a moment. "Inuyasha what did you say when you wished for her life?" Inuyasha move back to sit by Kagome. "I have no clue. There were so many thoughts running through my mind that I don't remember."

Kaede had a far idea of what had happened but she didn't want to say anything that would upset the hanyou more than he already was without knowing for sure. "Try to think, I need to know the exact wording of the wish. It is vary important. With out it I can't help Kagome." Inuyasha closed his eyes and thought back. He remembered holding her close and wanting her to live again. Then he remembered "I said `I wish I could give you my life' I'm pretty sure that's how I said it."

Kaede looked at Kagome. She had been right. Kaede looked at Inuyasha " That's exactly what happened. You gave her your life."

Inuyasha had thought it for years and now he was sure. The old woman was crazy.

"Baba you idiot how could I give her my life when I'm still alive!" Kaede stood up and walked over to her fireplace, and stoked the fire. " Demons have extremely long life spans. A half demon like you still has a life span of a few thousand years."

Inuyasha looked at the old woman from across the room "I know all this baba do you have a point?" Kaede could see he wasn't going to be caching on any time soon. " Inuyasha the Shikon no Tama can only transfer energy. When you wished to give your life to Kagome, the Shikon no Tama transferred half of your life energy into Kagome. Do you understand now?"

Inuyasha thought about it for a moment. "So what your saying is for every day I live Kagome lives to?" Kaede nodded her head "Put simply, yes. Every day Kagome lives is a day off of you life." Inuyasha looked back down at Kagome. "So if she's feeding off of me why is she still asleep?" Kaede thought for a moment and then gave him the only answer she could come up with. "Her body was only made to last the normal life span of a human. Now that she will be living for such a long time he body has to make some changes. That may be why your youkai energy is guarding her soul so hard, to give her the time she needs to change."

"She's not changing into a youkai is she?" Inuyasha didn't think Kagome would be very happy as a youkai. Kaede shook her head " No but she wont be human either. Most likely her senses will be somewhat closer to yours, and her body will also heal faster. We wont know for sure until she wakes up."

"How long will that be?" the sooner she was up and better, the sooner he would know what the changes would be. Kaied spoke " One maybe two weeks." Inuyasha's jaw dropped. "You have got to be kidding me." Kaede smiled at the hanyou "It may be sooner but I wouldn't count on it. Keep her here until she wakes up." Kaede turned back to attend to her cooking. "Inuyasha, you should take this time to think about were you and Kagome are going to live. If you hurry you can probably have a suitable home built before she wakes." Inuyasha gave the woman a hard look `how did she know me and Kagome were together?' He placed the thought out of his mind. Walking over to Kagome he gave her a quick kiss on the forehead and whispered in her ear. "I'm going to have a talk with the others but I'll be back soon." He gave her one more quick kiss before heading out the door.

Next chapter will have some Miroku and Sango fluff.