InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Compass Ball ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Compass Ball
Starlight Demon22
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Izayoi, Izayoi’s mate (of name unknown), or any of the other characters from the anime (which I also DON’T own) that may appear. I do own my characters, which are numerous and obvious at the same time. J
This was written in the vague attempt to outwit the plot bunnies…they are tricky buggers so beware.
^_^~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~^_^
A gentle knock on Akemi’s door startled her and caused her to turn towards it. “Come in,” she called before turning to make sure she looked fine otherwise she’d hear from her mother later. She turned back to the door, ready to leave when she came face-to-face with none other than Sesshomaru. “Can I help you? Or is this another assassination attempt?” she asked him. She wasn’t sure if she was happy to see him or not, she didn’t like knowing he was angry.
“Do you always allow your tongue to slip like that, or are you just a smartass by nature?” he growled annoyed. “I’ve been ordered by our parents to escort you downstairs. Unfortunately they each added in one piece.” Akemi smirked coolly as she walked up to him and faced him. The height difference was amazing, but she still glared at him just as he glared at her.
“Well then,” she said softly as he glared right back at her, “let’s go.” With that she marched right out the door with him behind her.
Sesshomaru offered her his arm once they were outside her room and reluctantly she took it. They both knew if they didn’t act cordial to each other, they’d never hear the end of it and their groundings would probably be horrible. As they walked, which was slowly due to Akemi unused to the shoes she was forced to wear by her mother, they both thought about how they had acted earlier.
“Do you still pity this Sesshomaru?” he asked her softly as they walked.
“Yes,” she said practically whispered as he looked at her, “for your life is tragic, the only thing to be achieved with death and murder is death and murder.” Sesshomaru nodded silently as he thought. That was part of his problem today; he’d done too much thinking. Now he was listening to her and he hated it.
“This Sesshomaru doesn’t want your pity,” he replied slightly annoyed. Akemi nodded as she thought about it and shrugged.
“I can’t help it,” she said as they walked slower, “I know your fate and it is sad, as such I can’t help but feel sorry for you. If I were allowed, I’d probably cry for you as well. But I know you wouldn’t like such a thing; a strange female crying for you and you don’t even understand why.” Sesshomaru grew annoyed at her presumptions.
“I understand perfectly,” he said much more annoyed and it was becoming more evident. Akemi smiled weakly as he stopped and got even angrier now. “And what’s so amusing to you?”
“You said I instead of this Sesshomaru,” she whispered. “I’d say you were actually listening to me.” With that she unhooked her arm from his and walked ahead as he watched her. He couldn’t understand this female sometimes.
“Come along Sesshomaru,” she said louder, “this Akemi doesn’t want to be late, and you’ve been ordered to escort her.” Sesshomaru looked at her surprised and caught up, once more offering her his arm.
^_^~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~^_^
“Do you think they’re alright?” Mai asked worriedly to her mate as they waited for Akemi to come down with Sesshomaru. “What if they got into another fight?”
“She told you about that, did she?” Higashi asked amused. Mai scowled at him.
“Yes, only when I found singed hairs because of his whip.” Mai said annoyed.
“They’ll be fine; they just needed to talk their problems out in privacy. Akemi’s not exactly one to fight if she doesn’t have to.” Higashi told his mate as she sighed and nodded, she knew that. She just worried, as all mothers do.
They walked into the hall talking softly as Mai sighed in relief. Not only did her hopes of having Sesshomaru as a son-in-law come back but her daughter was safe none the less. The two walked up to them and Higashi smiled to them both.
“Feeling better now that you’ve both got it out of your systems?” he asked them proudly.
“Got what out of our systems, we still can’t stand each other,” Akemi replied swiftly as her father looked at her surprised and Mai looked crushed.
“Oh? Then why are you two playing nice?” he asked her surprised.
“Akemi and this Sesshomaru agreed to, as you put it, play nice or face you and my father, whose wrath neither of us would like to face.” Sesshomaru replied as Higashi thought about it for a minute and nodded in agreement, he could understand that.
“Of course,” he replied. “Are you two hungry? You missed lunch because of your little lover’s spat.” Sesshomaru and Akemi just stared at him as he smiled. “Please, Mai and I have had worse arguments than that. And you’ve seen how we normally.”
“Yes, when they get into arguments anymore mother cries and claims you don’t love her and you buy her an unusually expensive gift,” Akemi replied and then turned to Sesshomaru. “If this is a lover’s spat, where’s my gift?” Higashi looked at her amazed as Mai smiled amused and shook her head, she did get him there.
“This Sesshomaru would think you value your life enough to consider keeping it as your gift,” Sesshomaru replied dully. Akemi rolled her eyes and shook her head.
“Come, eat,” her father commanded as they sat down the same spots they sat the night before.
“Who else is here?” Akemi asked curiously as she looked at the unusually crowded dining hall.
“The human girl next to Inuyasha is named Kagome, she’s his court,” Sesshomaru replied. “Plus some other representatives of lower villages and such are here.” Akemi nodded in agreement as she looked around. She blushed some when she felt his hand on hers, as if to protect her from the other males in the room. “Some of the humans are rather…lecherous…”
“Really? And that surprises you how?” Akemi asked as he shot her an annoyed look. She just smiled back as he sighed and shook his head, he didn’t know what he was going to do with her. “Well? Most males are perverts, look at your guards.”
“It couldn’t possibly be the female in scant clothing jumping around either, could it?” Sesshomaru said back. She looked at him affronted and sighed.
“And what am I supposed to wear if I’m to keep in shape?” she demanded.
“This Sesshomaru suggests a haori, hot or not.” He replied coolly. Akemi scowled at him and immediately their parents knew the spat wasn’t over.
“You two,” her father hissed.
“He started it,” Akemi hissed back.
“Two weeks, pond clean up,” her father hissed back as she looked at him surprised. Sesshomaru watched, wondering what was going on and getting a vague idea when he smelt tears coming from her. Sesshomaru was surprised she seemed so upset at the idea of cleaning ponds for two weeks, unless they have multiple ponds to clean.
^_^~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~^_^
After dinner came dancing and everyone made their way to a ballroom. There a small orchestra was set up and prepared to start playing. As Nishi and his mate walked in they started to play and everyone seemed to start dancing. Everyone started to dance minus a few, including Akemi and Sesshomaru.
“Lord Sesshomaru,” one of the female tora said as she walked up to him, “would you like to dance?” Sesshomaru looked at her for a second, his face still blank and emotionless.
“This Sesshomaru doesn’t dance,” he replied coldly. She looked slightly crestfallen as she thought.
“Oh, well would you like to talk?” she asked him curiously.
“He’s not much of a conversationalist,” Akemi replied bored as she looked around. The female glared at her.
“I’m sure we’d have plenty to talk about,” she snapped back, “just because you’re not intelligent enough to hold a conversation doesn’t mean…” She would have finished if Akemi hadn’t straightened up or Sesshomaru come between them.
“She is fully capable of intelligent conversation, though you are obviously not intelligent enough to take a hint,” he said darkly as the female looked at him surprised. “This Sesshomaru doesn’t dance.” He fell back against the wall next to Akemi as she looked at him with a small smirk. “What?” he demanded as he looked anywhere but her.
“Are you sure you don’t dance?” she asked him as he looked at her almost flabbergasted. “Or is it lack of knowhow and as such you’re ashamed to dance?” Sesshomaru took her hand and pulled her onto the dance floor. They joined the next dance to both Akemi and the female’s surprise. Akemi was mainly surprised at how well he danced.
^_^~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~^_^
By the end of the night they had both worn themselves out with all the dancing they had done. Mai and Izayoi were both awing the two as they watched while Nishi smiled amused and Higashi seemed uncertain if this was good or bad that they were semi-getting along. Akemi and Sesshomaru were seated as they watched some of the guests leave while others head up to bed.
“If you guys are tired, go to bed,” Izayoi said softly as Mai nodded in agreement. Sesshomaru looked around, most of the work was done so his going to bed wouldn’t truly matter, and stood up. Just as he moved, Akemi slid down and was obviously sleep. Sesshomaru just looked at her as Mai sighed and shook her head.
Silently, to both women’s surprise, Sesshomaru bent down and picked her up, carrying her out of the room. “Think this is a good sign?” Izayoi asked Mai. Mai just sighed and shrugged.
“Probably, but you never know,” Mai replied. “I mean, they’ve been acting all nice this whole time and yet are going absolutely insane to kill each other off.” Izayoi laughed a little and nodded as she thought about it. Akemi has succeeded in things most alive haven’t, particularly in irritating Sesshomaru. The ladies shrugged, bidding farewell to the guests as their lords and the others worked on various other projects and bidding the other guests farewell.
Sesshomaru carried Akemi up to her room, even went to the point of placing her on her bed, before preparing to retreat to his own room.
“You were very well behaved tonight,” she murmured as he had his back to her and prepared to go out the door. “And look, the Great Lord Sesshomaru even danced.” Sesshomaru turned around and looked at her, though she didn’t see it there was amusement in his eyes. “This Akemi is pleased.”
“So you and this Sesshomaru are switching roles now?” he asked her amused. Akemi smiled as she sat up and sighed with a shrug.
“Don’t know, would it be so bad?” she teased. “You, talking like normal people? Heaven forbid.” Sesshomaru remained silent before moving back in and closing her door behind him. She watched as he kneeled in front of her bed. She looked at him curiously as he leaned towards her.
“This Sesshomaru will make you a deal,” he said softly as she smiled and nodded, leaning in to hear it as if it were the world’s best secret. “You stop talking like this Sesshomaru, and I’ll start talking normally in private.” Akemi giggled and nodded as she thought about it, a fair offer.
“And this talking normally, no more this Sesshomaru or anything like that?” she teased.
“Agreed,” he said with a nod. Akemi smiled and nodded as well.
“Agreed,” she mimicked as he shook his head. She laughed a little as he stood up and prepared to leave. “Of course, you make one more comment about how I exercise and keep in shape in the mornings and the teasing is back on. I may even get you with a fish.” She said in a warning tone. Sesshomaru stopped at her door and remained statuesque. She looked at him curiously, wondering what was making his wheels creak.
“As my father once told a young inu pup who didn’t understand why he was teasing Izayoi once, males tend to tease females for reasons of their own.” Sesshomaru replied before leaving her room. Akemi smiled and nodded before closing the door behind him and getting ready to change.
^_^~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~^_^
Akemi was brushing her hair after changing for bed when there was a gentle knock on her door. “Enter,” she called while continuing to brush. Her mother walked in, looking exhausted but pleased as she watched.
“You’re still awake, you were asleep at the ball,” her mother said slightly surprised. Akemi nodded as she finished brushing her hair and putting everything away.
“Yes, I woke up halfway up here, I just don’t have much energy now,” Akemi replied as her mother nodded in agreement. “Are we leaving at sunup tomorrow?”
“Yes, anxious to get home?” she asked as Akemi nodded. “Why?”
“Wouldn’t you be if you had a presumptuous lord making comments in your wake every time you did something?” Akemi asked with a dark look.
“Well, you know males, they are always right.” Mai replied as Akemi shrugged.
“Well, let him be right in his own castle, thank heavens we don’t do this often.” Akemi mumbled as she moved to her bed and sat down on it. Mai looked at her and nodded with a sigh. “I know what you wanted, but it’s not going to work.”
“A mother only wants what’s best for her daughter,” Mai replied. “A mate is the best thing for you.”
“I know, I know,” Akemi grumbled. “Without a mate I can gain nothing from you and father, I can’t even inherit any money. That’s if you two die, not a likely chance at this point in time.” Mai sighed and nodded as she thought.
“It’s not only that, we just want you to be happy, and to know that you’re taken care of. Besides, it’s a female’s lot in life to take care of a husband and kittens. It’s not a lot, but it’s our lot in life. I would have thought that by now, thru your lessons, you would have realized that.” Mai told her gently.
“And isn’t it obvious?” Akemi asked annoyed. “That’s not what I want, you’re content to playing house with a male, but I don’t want that.” Mai sighed as she gently brushed some of the hair from Akemi’s face.
“Your father was right, you’re still young,” Mai said almost depressively. “But you will change when you get older, when you’re ready to settle down with the male of your dreams.” Mai kissed her on the forehead. “Sweet dreams, my kitten, I’ll come and wake you up for when we’re ready to leave.” Akemi nodded and watched as her mother blew out the candles and left her room. With a heavy sigh, Akemi laid down and closed her eyes, the conversation and the last thing her mother said haunting her thoughts.