InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Tamer ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Sesshomaru-sama,” Shiori murmured, bowing as respectfully as she could. She willed the hammering of her heart to slow down. She could not afford to get caught or to arouse suspicion. The success of her mission depended on her being able to move about freely. “I was just going to check on Inuyasha-san, make sure he is safe. What are you doing this close to the medical ward?”
“I think you know the answer to that, Shiori,” the inuyoukai said. His tone was cold and lethal, implying promises of certain death. To Shiori, it felt as if he knew what she planned to do next, and the very thought frightened her. Out of habit and an uncanny sense of terror, she took one step away from the governor's son.
Sesshomaru followed her. His golden eyes glinted, and his silver hair swayed behind him, giving him a beautifully deadly aura. If he was not her sworn enemy, Shiori would have begged him to take her and make her his.
They were enemies, however, and she could not show him any signs of weakness or fear. The humans needed her to be successful in her mission. Shiori laughed.
“No, actually I don't know the answer,” she replied. “As far as I know, you're not fond of your younger brother. I am quite surprised to see you here.”
“I am sure you are,” the dog demon growled, his eyes narrowed. He advanced towards her, a hint of his fangs showing. “And I am sure you were planning on using the confusion of the blast to your advantage.”
“What?”
“That is enough, Sesshomaru.”
Shiori felt her heart leap with elation when she heard her father's voice. She turned so she could face him, even though she despised the bat demon for raping her mother, and started to smile. Her elation faltered upon seeing TsukuYouMaru, though.
The bat demon's expression was somber and filled with disappointment. Next to TsukuYouMaru stood InuTaisho. In front of them was a pale demon girl, and behind them were at least five wolf demon soldiers. Shiori immediately recognized Lieutenant Kouga and his two subordinates, Ginta and Hakkaku.
“Father? What's going on?”
“We know, Shiori,” the bat demon replied. “We know the truth.”
“What do you mean? I don't understand . . .”
The situation was slowly slipping away from Shiori. Somehow, her cover was destroyed, but she could not grasp how.
“You do understand,” her father replied. He looked so sad, but Shiori could have cared less. “And I know that you do. Please stop insulting our intelligence. We know what you've done and who you have received your orders from. Kanna has seen and heard everything. We just don't know why.”
“Kanna?” Shiori blinked then glanced at the pale girl again. They were probably referring to her.
“Yes. Kanna,” InuTaisho answered. Rage burned in his eyes, belying the calm tone he used to address her. “We thought it strange, your appearance one year ago. We've been monitoring you since.”
“You didn't trust me?”
“Do you blame us?” TsukuYouMaru asked, his voice quiet. “You've injured dozens of people who did trust you, and you nearly killed a child. For what? What crime have we committed to warrant such a heinous act?”
Heinous? They thought her actions were heinous? How were they any better? She and Inuyasha were products of rape, a most vile and devastating act, and they called her actions heinous? Shiori's emotions unhinged, and she lashed out.
“You fucking bastard!” she spat. She lunged to attack, but she had forgotten about Sesshomaru's presence. The dog demon now held her firmly, his strength surprising her because of his slender appearance. “You raped my mother and say what I've done is heinous?! You're disgusting! You demons are all alike!”
“Rape?” TsukuYouMaru blinked. “My dear girl, I've never met your mother.”
“Not even in the raids of Timpash?!” she screamed. “She was there! You raped her and shamed her!”
“Timpash?” At this, both InuTaisho and TsukuYouMaru looked at each other, puzzled. Even the wolf demons appeared perplexed, but Shiori was not falling for their acts. She knew what her mother had told her. Then InuTaisho's gaze returned to her.
“My dear girl, we have never been near Timpash,” he said. “Nor have we ever raided the city. We have always lived here.”
“Lies and bull shit.”
“No. It is the truth for we have no need to lie,” TsukuYouMaru replied. Shiori laughed, the sound bitter and empty.
“Oh? And why should I believe you?”
“Because Timpash is on Aquariana, in the Dreamoria system,” InuTaisho said. “They are five light years away.”
“Five . . . light years away?” The fight drained from Shiori and she could only stare at the two males as they nodded.
“Yes. Five light years away.”
“We do not go near settlements like Timpash,” InuTaisho explained. “It is too dangerous for even demons such as ourselves.”
“Too many humans for you?”
“There are no humans in Timpash. Only the crystal warriors.”
* * *
Sesshomaru let go of the bat hanyou girl the moment two of the wolf soldiers approached. The girl looked and smelled so defeated, he almost felt sorry for her. Almost. It was a difficult feat for him, though, since she had tried to kill his half-brother. Despite his harsh letter to the boy, Sesshomaru cared enough to want Inuyasha alive. The boy possessed great potential, after all.
As the wolves led Shiori away - her mind would be wiped since Kanna had been revealed to her - his father and TsukuYouMaru stepped towards him. His father appeared to be pleased about something while the bat demon was disappointed and saddened. If Sesshomaru felt pity for anyone, it was the doctor. In his opinion, it must hurt knowing your only child sought your death.
“I am thinking the humans believe Inuyasha is to be a weapon,” TsukuYouMaru said after a brief pause in silence.
“A weapon?” Sesshomaru scoffed. “A weapon for what? Entertaining people? The humans are fools.”
“His voice is his power,” InuTaisho answered, his tone soft and gentle. “To some who are in power, he is a threat, even though he is a child. You have seen how adults react to him, Sesshomaru. They will stop and listen to him speak. When he sings, even if it is a silly child's song, he mesmerizes them.”
“Yes. I remember,” Sesshomaru murmured. “I did not understand why, though.”
“You also found it disturbing,” his father pointed out. “You are one of the few who is immune to his powers. Mind you, Inuyasha is not even aware of what he can do. It is only a matter of time before he decides how he is going to utilize his gifts. If he so desired, he could end the war between demons and humans.”
“Something some humans do not want to happen,” TsukuYouMaru said, sighing. “Their hatred of us is deep.”
“And there are some demons who harbor the same feelings as the humans do,” InuTaisho said. “We must not fool ourselves.”
“I know.” TsukuYouMaru paused then glanced at his watch. “We should go and check on your son, Governor. His condition still worries me and I fear I have dallied long enough.”
“Yes. Sesshomaru, come with us.”
“Father?”
“He needs us. We are his family. We are the only ones who can help him fight to live, Sesshomaru, and I will not let him down. I will not.”
It took a second for Sesshomaru to understand, but, when the realization hit him, he nodded and followed his father down the corridor to his brother's room. The youth's suicide attempt nearly destroyed the old dog and forced in the reality he could have lost the boy. Losing a child was a terrifying thought for any parent. Sesshomaru had only question he wanted answered, something that had bothered him since Izayoi entered their lives and bore his half-brother.
“Father, why does Inuyasha have such a beautiful voice? His mother was human . . .”
“No. She was not human,” his father answered. “She was a Telelithian.”
* * *
His throat ached, and his body felt heavy. He wanted to sleep, but Inuyasha sensed danger around him. Someone wanted to kill him when he was not ready to die yet. His fear drove him, and he forced his eyes open.
Standing around him were several tall people, people who hurt his eyes. The boy whimpered, and he tried to hide further into his bed. Were they the ones trying to kill him?
No . . . it was not them. The one threatening him was not there anymore. Who were they then? Why were they there?
As he stared at the unusual people, one reached out a large, crystalline hand . . .