InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Cure for a Wounded Soul ❯ Off to Cross the Wall ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

Off to Cross the Wall

Kagome trudged along the muddy road, pack slug over her back. Within was her Almanac, heavy winter clothing, a small dagger, a book of advanced spells, and the bell bandolier from her father, and a map of the first 15 miles of the Lands. Strapped to the pack was a pair of wooden skis, and poles. It was winter in the Lands, and there was bound to be snow. It would be faster to travel with skis.

The sky above was an angry gray, and every so often a low rumble of thunder made its way to her ears. She hoped that she'd make it to the Crossing before the storm broke again, as she did not fancy getting wet for the second time today.

Her walk gave her time to ponder exactly what she was going to do. She knew that she had to cross the Wall, and after that call her guide. After that? Find her father. She was still on shaky ground how she was going to do that, but she was determined nonetheless.

Ahead of her, dark shaped appeared. A few low building became distinct, and she knew she had almost reached the Crossing. After a few minutes of power walking, she had reached the crossing. A few of the sentries looked down upon her with suspicion, hardly anyone crossed into the Lands, even with the peace he father had restored.

"Halt! Who walks the Crossing!?" Kagome was suddenly face to face with a…woman? At first glance she had thought it was a man, but upon inspection she discovered it was indeed a woman, about 3 inches taller than Kagome, dressed in warrior garb of black and purple. She didn't look like any thing like a Crossing Sentry, especially since Kagome had never seen a female Sentry.

"I'm Kagome Higarashi." Kagome said. "And who are you, Guardian of the Crossing?" She chose to use the formal speech of the Crossing Sentry; it would make it easier to obtain passage across. The woman seemed taken aback by Kagome's easy use of formality, it seemed, not many people must use it any more.

"I am Colonel Sango, leader of the 4th Crossing Sentry. What business do you have at the wall?" Sango met the girl with a glare.

"I seek to gain entrance to the Lands. May I speak to the Head Colonel?" Kagome mentally withered at Colonel Sango's look. This woman must be incredibly strong to be a leader, nonetheless part of the Crossing at all.

"You can. Follow me." Sango turned and moved toward a central building, and Kagome followed.

"When they reached the center building, Kagome was surprised to be led through a door and down a flight of earth steps to an underground door. She had thought that the Colonel would want an office that would look over his garrison, not below it. Sango must have noticed the surprised look on the girl's face.

"Head Colonel Miroku prefers to be underground. He is very…spiritual, so to speak." Kagome nodded and Sango knocked three times on the wooded door. It was opened with a flourish, and Kagome did not expect what see saw at all.

"Why, Sango, what constitutes this visit to my humble place of rest? Such a lovely woman should not have to..." He was shoved aside with a "Stow it Miroku." Sango made her way inside, gesturing for Kagome to follow. She did so hesitantly, and Miroku swung the door shut.

"Who is this young lady you've brought to visit me?" Miroku said, immediately taking notice of Kagome. He made his way to her and knelt before her, taking her hand in his. "My dear woman, would you consider.." A swift kick to the back of his head stopped whatever he was going to say, and Sango look down at him.

"Is there any day that you are going to quit acting like a hormone-driven teenager and start acting like the Head Colonel your supposed to be?" Sango glared while Miroku brushed himself off as he made his way back to the small wooden desk in the center of the room.

"Now Sango, my dear, you know I only have eyes for you." Miroku sat in the chair, and then winked at Kagome. "She's only upset because I beat her out of this job by ½ a point on the written test. She still loves me though."

Sango pretended not to hear his comment. "This girl, Kagome is her name, requests passage across the Wall. She wishes to travel into the Lands for unnamed reasons." Sango looked at Kagome pointedly.

"I plan to cross the Wall to find my father, whom had gone missing." She paused, and glanced at Miroku, who didn't look like he was about to send her off. "The Abhorsen" She added.

Miroku's eyes widened at the mention of who her father was. The single man controlled both Page and Gratis magick, but used them to destroy demons. It was he who had erected the Coil Guards, a set of magic protectors to keep demons from crossing from the Lands over the wall. They could manifest themselves anywhere along the Wall itself, on the Roughlehuster side, that is.

Kagome saw the expression in the Head Colonel change. Now were getting somewhere she thought. "It is absolutely necessity that I find my father before the next New Moon. If he is so trapped the charms he had set up will break down on that night, and Roughlehuster will be at the mercy of any and all demons."

Miroku nodded. "Sango, will you fetch the passage paper?" Sango left without a word. Miroku sighed and looked at the young woman before him. "As much as my heart refuses, I can see that you are capable of caring for yourself, and I cannot deny that we need the Abhorsen to assist us. How do you plan to find your father?"

"Once I cross the Wall I plan to call a spirit guide to assist me to the Abhorsen House. From there, I will conduct a better search for his exact whereabouts." Kagome was proud of how sure she sounded. She looked at the Head Colonel, and saw worry in his eyes. "Your concern is appreciated, but misplaced. When I was 11 I began my training as a Miko. By the time I was 13 I had mastered all the elements, and banished a weak snake demon that came near the school. I may look young, but I am able to care for myself."

"I am confident in your abilities. It is a shame that you had a small childhood though, and that the world forced you to grow up so quickly." Sango entered and handed Kagome a piece of parchment. "That will be all you'll need. I wish you luck, Kagome." Miroku shook her hand, and escorted her and Sango to the ground level. The two watched as Kagome made her way, led by a Sentry, to the Wall.

"She'll do fine Miroku." Sango said softly.

"I know. But I can't help but think she will be back here some day." Miroku watched the figure fade.

.

Kagome looked at the sky across the wall. Snow fell thickly on the other side, all though Now of the flakes crossed. It was a though some huge weather knife had sliced though the sky. The Sentry whom had guided her out pushed open the door.

"Good luck Lass." He said. Kagome nodded to him and stepped into the Lands.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Page Magick is Charter Magic

Gratis Magick is Free Magic

Coil Guards are Wind Flutes

Roughelhusteris Ancelstierre, for those of you who have read Sabriel