InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dancing with Scissors ❯ Paint, A Visit, and A Gap-Toothed Smile ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Can I really have whatever color I want for my new bedroom?” Rin asked with hushed awe, as she scanned the paint color samples at the hardware store. They had stopped there on their way home from visiting the Taishos, intending to purchase paint and supplies, so Kagome could start as soon as possible.
 
“Yeah, honey,” Kagome replied. “As long as it's not too headache inducing. Nothing that reminds me of fake cheese or Pepto Bismol.” She knelt down and looked in Rin's eyes. “Colors, my dear, are the palette of life. By evoking a mood or triggering a memory, they can influence the way you feel. For example, something cheerful and happy, like bright yellow, would be good for the kitchen, and something mellow would be nice for the bathroom, like muted teal,” she explained, envisioning herself relaxing in the huge tub, candlelight flickering peacefully off the freshly painted walls. “Anyway you're going to have to see this every day, so choose wisely. Don't pick anything you're likely to be sick of in a few weeks.
 
“What's teal again?” Rin thought she knew, but liked to cover her bases.
 
Kagome stood and went to the swatches. “Blue green...green blue. She pulled out an example and showed her niece. “Like this.” She glanced at the names of the slightly differing shades. “Lilypad. Cool Mountain. Reflecting Pool. Wishing Well. Who names these things?” She plucked the narrow strips of stiff paper from the rack with abandon, accumulating several dozen in under a minute. “Cherry On Top. Queen of Hearts,” she recited the titles on the red swatch. “Superhero? Swashbuckler?” Switching to yellow she read, “Copper Reflection. Gold Coin. She continued, then mentally tried to predict the names. Over-Ripe Banana...Bright Mustard, she guessed. “Summer Squash. Bright Mustard! Damn, I'm good at this!
 
Kagome perused the samples, her fascination with the names frequently distracting her from the stated goal of choosing room colors. After twenty minutes of silenceinterrupted occasionally by snorts punctuated with “Pfft...Dry Martini. Swaying Pines. Crushed Silence. What the hell kind of color is that?” and “Pang of Loneliness? Whatever. Cracked Porcelain. Anatomy of Gray? Good god!”—she selected Bright Mustard for the kitchen; Shadowed Meadow for the bath; a soft, neutral Waterfall Mist for her studio; and a lovely, grayish mauve called Cobweb Rose for her bedroom. The living room color, a toss-up between gentle earth-tones Empty Nest and Cocoa Crumb, would be a last-minute decision.
 
“Rin Rin,” she said, waking up from her color-fueled reverie, “wha'd'ya come up with?
 
Rin, standing quietly, held up a sample of off-whites. “The top one,” she answered, uncharacteristically shy.
 
Kagome took the proffered card and read, “Silver Moon. Are you sure?” she asked with concern. “It's kinda boring, isn't it?
 
“It's the color of Daddy's hair,” Rin said softly.
 
Kagome's breath caught in her throat. It was. The exact color of Inuyasha's hair. Suddenly the loss of Inuyasha, who was as much a part of her as Kikyou, hit her like a deluge of Midnight Thunderstorm and Melancholy Shower combined. Her eyesight clouded with tears as she sank to the floor, gathered the child into her arms, and quietly let loose her grief.
 
Rin, conscious of the public exposure, didn't let her aunt sob her usual five to ten minute interval. “Kagome, I'm sorry,” Rin apologized in a frantic whisper. “I didn't mean to make you sad. I'll let you pull out my tooth if you want.
 
Kagome sniffed loudly after briefly squeezing the girl tight. “Honey, you didn't make me sad. You are the one thing that always makes me happy, with or without teeth. Besides,” she said, wiping her eyes, “I haven't cried in a couple days; I was due for a good one.” She stood again, more composed. “I love you, you beautiful, sensitive, observant thing.” Empty Nest was no longer in consideration, based on name alone. “Let's buy some paint.
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome took a deep breath of tired accomplishment as she surveyed Kikyou and Inuyasha's now empty room. She had just finished packing their clothes and toiletries to be brought to the storage unit, and it hadn't taken her all that long, despite getting sidelined by looking at their erotica for an extended period and trying to decide whether she should pack it or add it to her own collection, filling in some missing areas. Her sister and brother-in-law had been heavily into bondage and dominance and submission play, more than she had ever been, even before the thing she and her close friends referred to as The Incident, which, six years, earlier had so thoroughly changed her life. “Do I have time before Rin comes back to pack Inuyasha's office,” she wondered aloud. Her cell began to ring and vibrate just as she pulled it from her pocket to check the hour. It was Sesshoumaru.
 
“Hello?” She was unsure if it was safe to trust him; in fact the idea that he was suddenly an ally was slightly off-putting.
 
“Kagome, I've been at a meeting in your neighborhood and thought I'd drop off the keys to the guest house, if you're available.
 
“Yeah, I'm here. Come on over.”
 
“Your address?
 
“Oh. 1011 South Third. There's a For Sale sign in the yard. The entrance is on the left.
 
“I'll be there in a few minutes.
 
Kagome hoped Rin, at the park with the downstairs neighbors, would return soon. She'd be devastated to learn she missed her uncle.
 
XxXxX
 
Sesshoumaru arrived at the house, a large, elegant example of the Victorian architecture typical of that found in the neighborhood, though this was in much better condition than many. The owner must be someone other than one of the numerous absentee landlords who had allowed the historic neighborhood to fall into squalor for so many years, he thought. He went around the side to find Kagome, dressed in baggy shorts and a tank top, long legs crossed, waiting on the step and watching a huge black dog as it chased a squirrel around the back of the building.
 
Kagome saw him and rose. “Hi. I need to warn you...my dog is well-behaved and super friendly, but really doesn't like strangers, especially of the male persuasion. Feels like he needs to guard me until he satisfies himself that I'm not being threatened,” she explained. “He won't attack or anything, but he might bare his teeth and growl.
 
Sesshoumaru said nothing, his face its usual mask of impassivity.
 
“Oberon, come!” she yelled.
 
The Wolfhound came bounding back and stopped next to Kagome. The shoulders almost came up to her waist, he observed, further emphasizing her waifishness. Sesshoumaru stretched his hand out, and the dog approached tentatively, sniffing with care, then wagged vigorously, like he had just been reunited with his long-lost best friend.
 
“Huh. I'll be dipped in shit,” Kagome said in disbelief. “That's a first. He never warms so quickly to strangers. You must smell like Inuyasha.
 
“I do not smell like Inuyasha,” he frowned.
 
“Jeez, I didn't mean it as an insult,” she retorted, rolling her eyes. “Just that you two are brothers. You're similar genetically, so it would make sense that you smell at least a bit alike.” She watched as Oberon leaned against Sesshoumaru, nudging his hand until it scratched behind his ears, all the while wagging violently. “The dog and Inuyasha were great friends. I sprained my ankle last year, so for the better part of a month Yasha was the one to take him running. They were inseparable until I was back on my feet. Inuyasha liked to say he was half dog...not sure what the other half was.
 
Sesshoumaru looked into the trusting, brown canine eyes, which closed in ecstasy as the scratching continued. “Does he know any tricks?
 
Kagome laughed. “Does clearing a coffee table with one wag of the tail count? How about being able to reach things on the top of the refrigerator? He's a Wolfhound, not a Border Collie. His main goal in life is to find the most comfortable spot on the couch, not to prove that he's smarter than an honor student.” She smiled softly as she watched them. “He knows basic commands, Sit and Lie Down. And one of the first things I taught him was Drop It; he has a disturbing fondness for road kill.
 
The petting immediately ceased. “Lovely,” Sesshoumaru said with mild disgust. The dog continued to nudge him.
 
“He really likes you. Maybe you were some kind of dog spirit god thingy in a past life,” Kagome teased.
 
“Don't be ridiculous,” he scoffed, pulling keys from his pocket and handing them to her. “I need to get back to my office.
 
She accepted the keys and asked, “Can you come up for a minute? I have something to give you.
 
He sighed impatiently. “I really should be go—”
 
“Oh come on, Workaholic,” she interrupted, twining her arm around his and steering him through the open door, to be followed by the dog.
 
Sesshoumaru scowled, but allowed himself to be led up the stairs, attributing his compliance to unfamiliarity with such stubborn, playful insistence and her soft, feminine form so near to him. Upon entering the apartment, she let him go, and he was surprised to see the place was large, tidy, and comfortable. He hadn't known what to expect, never having given a great deal of thought to Inuyasha's home life, but this certainly was not it. There was a plethora of art-paintings, charcoal sketches, photographs, ceramics-adorning the walls and nearly every horizontal surface, making him feel he had just walked into a very cozy gallery.
 
“Quite a collection,” he commented, appreciatively examining a nude ink drawing, the graceful, reclining figure apparently blindfolded. The initials kh were in the bottom right corner. “Did you do this?
 
Kagome noticed the object to which his attention was directed. “Yeah, it's Kikyou. I gave it to Inuyasha for his birthday a few years ago.
 
“You have some wonderful pieces.
 
“Thanks. One of the benefits of knowing artists is the vibrant barter and trade system. Comes in handy since few of us have much disposable income. I may not have a 401K, but I've got killer art. It's in here.
 
He followed her into a room at the end of the corridor. The walls were covered in horror movie posters and monster masks. There was a computer on a desk, a file cabinet, and a bookcase full of titles such as The Complete Night of the Living Dead Filmbook and Ray Harryhausen: An Animated Life. This room, clearly belonging to Inuyasha, was much more like what he expected.
 
“Yasha's office. He had a love of all things creepy, but his true passion was zombies.
 
“I've always found that odd,” Sesshoumaru said. “He was afraid of all that when we were kids.
 
A sudden memory filled his thoughts. They were perhaps aged eleven and eight and had persuaded the housekeeper to let them watch A Nightmare on Elm Street on cable one evening when their parents were out. Inuyasha woke up screaming that night, terrified. Sesshoumaru remembered his father's tired rebuke of “Get back in bed; you're not a baby anymore” and “That's what you get for watching that garbage. A minute later his bedroom door opened a crack, and a sniffling Inuyasha whispered, “Hey, `shoumaru? Are you awake? Can I sleep in here?” He pretended to be asleep, knowing that he should offer comfort to his younger brother, but he was angry with Inuyasha for letting out the secret that they had watched something they shouldn't have and that now the housekeeper would be reprimanded and the cable cut off. He felt Inuyasha curl up at the foot of his bed and was silent, but after a minute, handed his brother the extra pillow.
 
“Well, I guess he made peace with his demons, because he lived for this shit,” she said, bringing him back to the present. “This room is next on my packing agenda. A lot of it is worth money; he's got a bunch of first edition comics, and the autographed Harryhausen memorabilia will be especially valuable some day, but I'll leave it for Rin to decide what to do with it when she's older.
 
She handed him two large shoe boxes. “There's a bunch of Mother's Day and Father's Day and birthday cards. I'm sure there's old pictures of Rin and letters too. They all came back marked Return To Sender, but he kept them. I'd like your parents to have them, and I figured it'd be easier for them to accept coming from you and not me.
 
He was impressed by her thoughtfulness. “You're being awfully considerate to people you were just cursing out a few days ago.
 
She smiled. “Yeah, well we're going to be neighbors now, and I prefer harmony to strife. But more than that, it's honoring Inuyasha's wishes. He was my best friend and an amazing guy,” she sighed wistfully. “He didn't throw them away for a reason. I'd like to forget about the past couple of weeks, hell the past seven years. At least for Rin's sake. You're her family.
 
“Thank you,” he said honestly.
 
“You're welcome,” she replied, almost feeling, but for his impenetrable expression, they could be having a moment. “Out of curiosity, how'd your dad handle the news that we'll soon be taking up residence on his property?
 
“We have his approval,” Sesshoumaru replied, somewhat glossing the truth.
 
His father had been livid, turned beet red, then, in typical form, self-righteously walked away. He returned a few minutes later and curtly informed his wife and son that they were responsible for telling Kagura. When Sesshoumaru informed Kagura that her services would no longer be required, she ranted and raved, stopping short of prostrating herself in supplication, and only left after obtaining a guarantee that he would at the very least take her out to dinner to soothe her battered feelings. He cursed his father for further complicating his already busy schedule. Kagura's fawning attention irritated him to no end, and she was hardly his ideal dinner companion.
 
“Well thanks for bringing the keys. I'll start painting tomorrow and should finish by the end of the week...if I can get some damn help from my lazy-ass friend Jak. I also need to finish packing Kikyou and Inuyasha's stuff and get it to the storage shed...hopefully this weekend, then start moving our things next week. Holy Shit!” she exclaimed, rubbing her temples. “Not sure when I'm gonna fit sleeping into all this. Rin starts summer camp at her preschool next week, so that will help-
 
As if on cue, they heard the door open and quick footsteps on the stairs.
 
“Kagome,” Latrisha shouted from the door, “Rin's back; are you there?
 
“Yeah honey, I'm here. Thanks for taking her!” Kagome called back.
 
Moments later Rin, dirty and sweaty, appeared in the doorway, shocked delight writ large and clear on her face, as though she had walked in on Kagome taking tea with Santa and the Easter Bunny.
 
“Uncle Sesshoumaru!” she squeaked and ran toward them.
 
Kagome intercepted the filthy little body before it came in contact with Sesshoumaru's immaculate beige pants and white linen shirt. “Looks like someone had fun at the playground,” she said, spinning the child around and redirecting her through the door. “Go wash your hands and change your clothes quick, then you can show Sesshoumaru you-know-what.” Rin ran away obediently. “Her tooth finally came out this morning,” she whispered. “I hope you can stay another couple minutes, just so she doesn't feel like you're avoiding her. Oh...why don't you take this too.” She picked up a framed photo from the desk and laid it on top of the shoe boxes.
 
It was a picture of him and his brother; both dressed in dark suits, the latter looking like a half-drunk, happy fool. After a moment he registered the scene; it was Inuyasha's wedding. The other photographs on the desk were of Kikyou and Rin, Kikyou and Kagome, and his parents. “Did he really have this on his desk?” he asked, slightly confused.
 
“Yeah, I know you two could barely stand talking to each other, but he did love you as a brother. Don't get me wrong,” she added quickly, noting his skeptical expression. “He thought you were an uptight asshole with a pitiful social life. He hadn't had a very high opinion of the `air-head, socialite bimbos' you dated.” Kagome saw his face turn from disbelief to anger and knew she was treading dangerously. “But he did respect you a great deal. And he was especially grateful that you didn't shun him like your parents did.
 
“Hn,” he responded neutrally. It was apparent that Kagome knew more about him than he of her, and that fact annoyed him. He was used to being at an advantage with everyone he came in contact and loathed the teasing familiarity Kagome radiated, both on general principle and in practice.
 
Rin rushed in, wearing a hastily thrown on sundress and grinning from ear to ear. “Notice anything different about me?” she asked eagerly.
 
Sesshoumaru set the boxes on the desk and crouched down. He made a great show to examine her up and down, even taking her hands and turning them over, until he finally looked her full in the face. He had to admit, she was a precious girl, and he loved seeing Taisho eyes, both the shape and color, in the tiny, female face. “Why Rin, you seem to be missing something.
 
“You noticed! I KNEW you would!” She threw her arms around his neck, and he caught her. It shocked him briefly to realize he had probably never held a child before, and the vulnerable smallness of her surprised him, as did the strength of the grip around his neck. They were interrupted by the sounds of someone breaking into tears.
 
“Oh don't mind me,” Kagome choked out. “You two just look so...adorable.” She rushed out, sobbing.
 
Sesshoumaru let Rin go and stood, somewhat concerned.
 
“Don't worry, Uncle Sesshoumaru,” Rin assured him, rolling her eyes. “She does that all the time. It's her happy cry. I can tell when she's really, really sad. Can you stay for lunch?
 
He smiled softly. “Not today, Rin. I have got return to work. But soon, I promise, and often.
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome had edged and applied the first coat of paint in both bedrooms, impressed by Rin's ability to entertain herself while simultaneously not making a mess. She knew it couldn't last; once the attention span had reached its limit, paint would fly. Rin was helping Kagome clean the brushes and rollers in the kitchen sink, when they heard a soft knock at the front door.
 
“Come in,” Kagome called over her shoulder.
 
Rose Taisho, dressed in a navy tennis dress, entered slowly, and Kagome was amazed that, even so attired, the older woman looked like she had just stepped off the pages of Town and Country.
 
“Ms. Higurashi, Rin, good afternoon. Do you have everything you need?
 
“We're good, thanks,” Kagome answered, grabbing Rin around the waist to prevent her from running away before the paint could be washed from her hands. Once clean, Rin was set free and went straight to her grandmother to show off the new hole in her smile.
 
“My goodness, how sweet. Hmmm...maybe not. It makes you look mischievous,” Rose teased gently.
 
“Wanna see what the tooth fairy left me?” She dug in her pocket and pulled out an object that she proudly displayed on her palm.
 
“What a beautiful bead,” Rose observed with surprise.
 
“My friend, Shippou, got money from the tooth fairy, but I like my bead. Kagome said once all my baby teeth are gone I'll have enough beads to make a bracelet.”
 
“Such a clever tooth fairy you have, darling.” She smoothed the girl's hair and straightened. “Rin, one of my favorite things to do is to care for my roses. Some of my flowers have won awards. Will you let me show you some of them?”
 
Rin glanced at Kagome, who smiled and made shooing motions with her paint splattered hand, and then nodded vigorously.
 
“Go through the door and follow the path; it will take you straight to them. I need a word with your auntie. I'll be right behind you.”
 
Rin skipped out of the house happily; she was getting sick of being careful around the paint.
 
“Ms. Higurashi,” Rose Taisho began, “I'd like to thank you for the contents of the boxes you gave us. It is a treasure beyond price. I've only been able to arrange them in chronological order and read the first few thus far, but I'm ever so grateful for your generosity.”
 
“Start, please, by calling me Kagome. And all I did was set them aside and give them to Sesshoumaru. But you're welcome.”
 
“Ms. Hig-Kagome, may I ask you something?”
 
“Certainly,” she answered, disconcerted by the woman's contrite, curious tone.
 
Rose Taisho heaved a sigh. “I have regrets too numerous to count regarding both my sons' childhoods. We were, at times, not the happiest of families, and I fear Inuyasha often suffered the most.”
 
Kagome merely nodded. This was not news to her. Inuyasha hadn't spoken of his upbringing frequently, but she knew a profoundly unhealthy household when one was being described.
 
“I just need to know...was he happy? As an adult, married to your sister, was he happy?”
 
The older woman's eyes filled with tears, though, strangely, Kagome's stayed dry. “He missed all of you, and the troubles between you bothered him a lot, but he loved you, and yes, he was very happy.”
 
“Thank you,” Rose Taisho said, wiping her eyes quickly. “Your words are a gift. I do mean that. I loved Inuyasha, but I failed him. In more ways than one. I, we...both Ken and I hope to make amends. It is late in coming, but no less heartfelt. I'm just glad that he found happiness with your sister. And you. I know you two were close.”
 
She went to follow Rin, leaving Kagome bewildered at the level of angst in the woman's honest admission.
 
XxXxX
 
Kagome handed Sango a glass of wine and sprawled on the couch next to her as dulcet tones of Yo Yo Ma playing Bach wound peacefully around Kagome's living room, the cello caressing them like an ardent lover. The music soothed, aiding their blissful relaxation after a busy day.
 
“I found my ideal career,” Kagome said languidly, eyes closed.
 
Sango smiled dreamily. “Better than professional restaurant patron?” It was what Kagome had always said was her true calling.
 
“Well...no.” Kagome perked up slightly. “I want to be the person that names paint colors.”
 
Sango snorted, then laughed. “As Inuyasha said, so many times, you are the Queen of Random.”
 
“It'd be so great. Put my Art and English backgrounds to good use...better than anything I'm doing now. I just don't remember that being on the list of possible majors the many, many times I studied said list in college.”
 
“I don't know how one gets that gig, though I have to say, artist and journalist are two hats you wear well.”
 
Journalist? I give advice about sex. Not exactly journalism.”
 
Sango poked Kagome with her elbow. “Don't sell yourself short. Not many people could write that column. And what exactly brought about this color-naming epiphany?”
 
“Rin and I were shopping for paint yesterday, and I swear I can do just as good. I had a tiny breakdown in the middle of the paint section, but,” she waved a hand dismissively, “Sango, the names...the possibilities are endless. Pair an adjective-Wilting, Scarred, Muted, Softened, Electrified-with almost any noun-Leaf, Lake, Dream, Ambivalence-you're good to go. It could be a fucking board game it's so formulaic.”
 
Sango just shook her head; her friend had always loved the sound of words and the dexterous way they played on her tongue. “Fragrant Garden. Wrinkled Paper. Silent Pond.”
 
“Exactly! Isn't it fun!” Though Kagome reluctantly came to the conclusion that perhaps she was not so uniquely gifted. “Bridal Veil.”
 
“Blushing Virgin,” Sango giggled.
 
“Ooo, I like that. Fiery Temptress.”
 
“Stolen Kiss.”
 
“Fresh Hickey.”
 
This nearly caused Sango to spit her wine out. “Throbbing Vein,” she added, after recovering.
 
“Oh honey, you're turning me on. Rosy Peak.”
 
 
“Damp Flesh.”
 
“Silken Thigh.”
 
“What color is that?”
 
“I don't know...it's on the same card as Damp Flesh.”
 
“Turgid Member,” Sango offered, causing Kagome to giggle wickedly.
 
“Passionate Entry,” she moaned.
 
“Waves of Pleasure,” Sango panted, voice deep and throaty.
 
Kagome smiled broadly. “Cum Stain.” They both broke into peals of laughter. “Shit, we can't wake Rin,” she sobered.
 
“How is it going at the Taishos?” Sango asked, finding a subject that would cause less noise.
 
“Great. I made a ton of progress today, the edging and first coats are done in both bedrooms and living room and hallways, and Jak's helping me tomorrow. He's bringing the Broadway cast recordings of Avenue Q and Wicked, so I'll be in musical heaven.” Kagome paused to sip her wine. “Mrs. Taisho actually hung out with us a little today. She was really good with Rin, who was cute as fuck, but completely hell-bent on focusing attention on her tooth. I swear that kid has never smiled that much in her life. I worry she's doing permanent damage to her face.”
 
“It does transform her into some impish Inuyasha-child.”
 
“Doesn't it? One wouldn't think a single tooth could matter that much.”
 
“She is a combination of both her parents, and I can't help but think that, as Rin is growing, she's adding quite a lot of her father to her personality.”
 
“Totally. His sarcasm is beginning to bud in her, but more than anything her love of the thrill, whether it is hanging on the monkey bars upside down or going down the big slide at the playground head first, she is channeling Inuyasha. Like father, like daughter daredevils. God help me.” Kagome shook her head to clear it. “But seriously...Mrs. Taisho. I kinda like her. I think she's really lonely, and she seems so sincere. I found out she was a concert pianist when she was young. I can't wait to learn more and fill in some blanks.”
 
“Interesting. And Sesshoumaru?” Sango prodded firmly.
 
“Sessbot? Didn't see him at all today. I get the feeling that he works nonstop.”
 
Sessbot? I know you think he's reserved...but robotic?”
 
“Maybe robotic is a bit harsh. He's rigid for sure, but I get the feeling that there's a lot under the surface with him.” Kagome reflected on seeing him hug Rin and her own ensuing emotions.
 
“Any potential dating material there?” Sango asked, nearly desperate to see Kagome have sex and a possible relationship with something other than an inanimate object.
 
“Hell No! He hates me, and besides, we inhabit very different worlds.”
 
Not for much longer, Sango thought, finishing her wine. “I need to push off. I've got a full day of clients tomorrow.”
 
“Cool, I've got to get my column off by midnight tonight or my editor will have my head. I hate deadlines.”
 
“You love them and you know it,” Sango said, kissing Kagome affectionately.
 
&&&
 
I do not own Inuyasha, neither characters nor plots. Nor do I claim Pepto Bismol, The Complete Night of the Living Dead Filmbook, Ray Harryhausen: An Animated Life, Nightmare on Elm Street, Town and Country magazine, Avenue Q, or Wicked. Thank you so much for reading!