InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Faith ❯ Comprehensions and Apologies ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

Author Note: This was originally posted to IB4Y on June 4, 2012 for P-Prompt #18: “The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.” It won 1st place. It originally came in at 1618 words and other than a few minor edits it has remained mostly unchanged.

-------------------------------

Ungai numbly sat where the old miko directed him, the previous events still playing heavily on his mind. Doubts filled him as he watched the youkai, no, the hanyou, interact with his family. Both parents fussed over the child, just as any other normal parent would after their child encountered a potentially dangerous situation. But how could any of this be normal when it went against everything he had been taught to believe in, everything he had taught others to believe?

As he sat there staring at them, his attention was caught by the small argument that appeared to be taking place. The adult hanyou had knelt down next to his son and was gesturing back toward one of the buildings.

“Go on Jomei. Go back to Rin and the others. This isn't a matter for you.”

The little boy shook his head stubbornly. “No!” He clung to his mother's hakama.

Kagome glanced at Inuyasha before running a hand over her son's head in a soothing manner. “Listen to your father Jomei. This is no place for you. The immediate danger has passed but now it's time for us to talk, and this is an adults only matter.” The boy shook his head again.

Inuyasha glanced at her before looking at their audience. “Maybe you should bring him there.” 'And stay there yourself.'

She gave him a brief warning look, having guessed his thoughts. “You're not getting rid of me that easily,” she told him before turning her attention back to the child.  “I'm sure Rin must be worried about you after you disappeared on her like that.”

Jomei pulled back slightly from his mother, a guilty look on his face.

Ungai watched and listened to this interaction with fascination. How could they act like a normal, human family, when they weren't?

But before anything more could be said, another head poked around the building Inuyasha had been gesturing toward. Seeing no immediate danger as she looked around with an anxious look on her face, the young woman stepped forward and began walking toward the gathered group. Her face relaxed as she spotted the younger hanyou standing with his parents and she made a beeline toward them. Ungai continued to watch, though something about the woman tugged at his memory.

“There you are Jomei! Inuyasha, Kagome, Rin is so sorry. He just disappeared while Rin was trying to calm Izayoi and the others.”

“It's alright Rin,” Kagome told the young woman. “It wasn't your fault.” She gave her son a look. “I believe Jomei has something to say to you.”

Ungai watched as the boy scuffed his foot in the ground before guiltily looking at the young woman. “I'm sorry I made you worry Rin.”

She gave him a smile and again Ungai was struck by the familiarity. “Rin is just glad that you are alright.” She reached for his hand, uncaring of the claws there. “Come, let us head back so that your parents and the others can finish their business.” She paused, frowning as her gaze landed on Ungai.

Suddenly it all became clear to Ungai. This young woman, she was the same little girl who had insisted on remaining by that terrible youkai's side all those years ago. How was she still alive? He had been sure she would never survive long if she remained with him. How had she found her way here? Had she finally abandoned her misplaced trust and loyalty to that creature? Or was he also here somewhere? Ungai gulped nervously and tried to sense if any other youkai were around, to no avail.

Still, his mind was bombarded by thoughts. It was impossible for her to be the same girl, and yet, she clearly was. The previous events of the evening flashed through his mind. It was impossible for a youkai, or hanyou in this case, to be openly welcomed in a human village, and yet this one was. It was impossible for him to have a family, and yet he did. It was impossible for a miko to love someone with youkai blood, and yet she did. It was impossible that she had kept her powers after she loved, married and bore him a child, and yet she did.

He was reminded of a saying his old master had told him many years before. The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it. So many impossible things and yet, the proof was in front of his eyes. Perhaps he had been wrong in his beliefs.

Ungai turned to the old miko, Kaede he believed she was called. “Please forgive me for intruding on your village this way. I truly believed that I was doing the Kami's will. I am still not sure that I have been wrong in my beliefs but I am willing to listen and learn.”

Kaede regarded the old priest with a look of appraisal. “It is a wise person who is willing to admit his errors and learn from them. How can I help you in this?”

Ungai glanced over as the hanyou and his miko wife joined the group, having sent their son back with the young woman Rin. “Tell me how this came to be? How this village is so accepting of one of youkai blood and his family? How a houshi and a miko can accept him and call him friend openly? How a miko could love him?”

Kagome bristled at the last question but remained quiet at Kaede's look. The old miko drew a deep breath before releasing it. “I will answer your questions to the best of my ability. It all began more than fifty years ago...”

Ungai and his followers listened intently, interrupting rarely with questions. As Kaede grew tired and hoarse her tale was taken up by others, the houshi Miroku, his wife the Taijiya Sango, the miko Kagome, and finally the hanyou, Inuyasha, himself.

At the end of their tale Ungai nodded thoughtfully, finally comprehending just how wrong he had been. “So it appears that you had been chosen by the Kami themselves to rid the world of a dangerous evil. And now you have earned your reward,” he gestured to the village. “A peaceful home. I am sorry that we intruded on that peace.”
“Ungai-sama! You can't be serious! Tell me you haven't fallen under his spell!” One of his younger followers spoke up, glaring at Inuyasha.

“Silence!” Ungai ordered him, towering over the fool. “As Kaede-sama said, a wise man is willing to listen and reflect on his choices and beliefs, admitting when he has been wrong. And I was wrong here. I thought I knew and followed the will of the Kami, but it is not possible for a mere mortal to understand their plans. The Kami obviously have a plan for this village and we will not interfere in it.” His tone was final.

“But Ungai-sama, how can you believe this story so easily?”

Ungai drew himself to his full height as he stared down his followers. “I have encountered this group before. I thought they were foolish to trust youkai and allow them into their midst, and believed they would turn on them. The fact that they are still alive and thriving shows that I was wrong. I had also heard of this Naraku they spoke of, and know that he was a dangerous foe. I believe their tale.” He sighed. “And I admit that I was wrong in trying to kill them.”

He turned to face Inuyasha, who stood with his arms folded across his chest and tucked into his voluminous sleeves, his wife at his side. “I truly am sorry for any pain I may have caused. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.”

He turned back to his followers. “I find that I am in need of a journey of reflection and discovery. I must reflect on what I have learned here and what my place in the Kami's plan might be. I understand if you choose not to follow me any longer after these revelations.”

He was interrupted by their cries. “No Ungai-sama! Don't abandon us! We will follow you!”

He gave them a small smile. “Thank you my friends. We shall discover our destiny together.” Ungai turned back to Kaede and the others. “And again, I thank you for showing me the error of my ways.” He bowed, then led his followers away from the village.

Inuyasha scowled as he watched them leave. A gentle hand on his arm drew his attention to his wife. Her face held a worried frown. “Kagome?”

“Do you think we did the right thing? Letting them go?”

He shrugged. “What else could we do?”

Kagome bit her lip. “I just wonder how long his change of heart will last. Is this truly over or will they decide that we tricked them somehow and come back again, stronger in numbers?”

Inuyasha pulled her to rest firmly against his side as she voiced aloud his own worries. “I know,” he told her. “But we can't do anything until that day comes, if it comes.” He dropped a brief kiss on to the top of her head. “Now come on, I have a son that needs a stern talking to.” He led her back to their children, worries set aside for another day. If ever their path crossed Ungai again, they would have their answer then.