InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Deepest Love ❯ Deepest Love ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
Inuyasha looked up at the God Tree, Goshinboku, the tree that had begun his adventure with Kagome. He remembered the piercing pain of Kikyo's arrow when she had hit him. A power meant to kill him, but in her weakened state had only loosed his soul. The shocking impact of the tree against his back, the impact knocking the Shikon no Tama out of his hand to the ground. The pain in his heart that came not from the arrow, but the pain of betrayal.
If only he had known the truth then.
No, Kikyo's injury had been fatal, she would have died regardless.
Fate played cruel games, but in the end, it gave him back the lost part of his soul. The part that had been torn from him by what he thought was Kikyo's betrayal. Kagome made him complete; Kagome healed him in the most important way. She healed his bleeding heart, sealed his pain and helped him to trust.
He loved her so completely that it hurt, his love for her made him weep sometimes. Every danger they faced, every fight they had, every apology they made, it all hit him like a blunt knife in his soul, reminding him that one day she might not be by his side. That he had lost the people he held dear before, and that it could well happen again.
Every time she was hurt, his soul screamed, every time he was the cause of her tears, he wanted to weep along with her and cry out his love, tell her he was sorry in the deepest way, the way words cannot express.
One day, his soul cried out silently, one day all will be well and you will understand the depth of my love. One day this pain will leave me because you will truly be mine. One day...
His love for her traveled beyond words, beyond all description of the body. Only the soul could truly speak what had to be said. She feared the intensity in his eyes, not understanding it.

"No one will ever love you like I do, Kagome. No one else can understand your inner fire, your beauty. Gods are you beautiful..."

He longed to hold her close to him, so close so she would feel his heart beating with hers. He longed to look deep into her eyes and tell her in the silent way that she was his all.

"Without you Kagome, I am nothing."

Kagome did not know that she held the leash to his heart, She did not realize that she controlled him more completely then any spell. She could tug the leash and he would follow her, more loyal than any dog.
Or she could cut that leash and destroy him utterly.
Inuyasha knew that if Kagome vanished from his life in any way that his soul would die. His body would not, for he still had an obligation to Kikyo, but his soul would be lost, following Kagome to wherever she had gone.
His heart would break unmendingly and his soul would leave, such was the depth of his love.
He would not be able to handle another loss.
And once Kikyo had been avenged, his body would follow the way of his spirit and die.

"Stay with me and be mine forever, Kagome. I need you by my side."

He had said that he would give his life for Kikyo and that was not untrue, but he found that if he had to choose one to save, it would be Kagome. Kagome was alive, he could have a future with her, Kikyo was forever beyond his reach.

"You are mine Kagome, and I am yours. Never leave me."