InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 33 ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirty-Three
 
Dusk found them all gathered around a blazing fire in the yard behind the big house. Inuyasha sat gazing into the flames, thinking. Thinking about how many ways he could fight this new enemy. Shadara had told him about their stronghold. And the trouble they were having taking the place.
Keh, he could do it no problem. A couple of Kaze no Kizu's and the place would be leveled, easy. He was pulled from his thoughts by the sound of soft footsteps and the scent of magic and wolf. He looked up as Shadara sat in the grass next to him.
“Still tired,” he asked.
“Aye.”
“It was a hell of a fight.”
“Aye and the most that just Starlight and I have taken on, when I was fatigued.” Her voice was touched with sleep.
“Why didn't you want me to fight? And who the fuck was Talon?”
“Never mind about him, he was only a patrol leader that happened to get by us a few times.” She sighed and her shoulders dropped a bit. Her voice was low and tired when she spoke again. “It was wrong, I know, but I needed retribution today. Also I wished for you to witness one battle before you joined me for future ones.” She sighed again as she sagged further.
“You smell more like a wolf than you did before.”
“Battle pulls at my wolf blood, brings it closer to the surface, it makes me stronger and faster. It and my power can linger and surge for hours afterwards,” she yawned, “it's stirring now, until it calms I won't be able to sleep.”
“Keh, why not, you slept after the fight?”
“Aye, for it was calm for the moment; I awoke when I did because it was surging once more.”
“Your wolf blood sounds a lot like my youkai. It's taken me over before.” His eyes fell to his laughing mate across the fire. “I have control now.”
The shifter's emerald eyes followed his.
“What happened,” she asked.
He told her everything. From the time the Tessaiga was broken to the last encounter with Koga.
When he spoke of the bandits, she reached over and touched his claws. When his recounting ended she spoke, her voice a little rough.
“You understand, you felt like I did, after what I did yesterday, when you killed the bandits.”
“Sort of, yeah,” he nodded.
“There's never been anyone who really understood. No one that I could truly speak with before, my sisters are wonderful but-“
“But they don't really understand.”
“No they don't.” The shake of her head was nearly imperceptible.
“Kagome said you need someone who's seen the blood and the death. And that you need a broth…” he swallowed, “a brother to talk to.”
She turned and lifted her head, her eyes steady. He held her gaze.
“She said that I make a good brother.”
He smelt her wolf surge stronger and his ears pricked at her low whimper.
“Male be pack brother?” The question was tense and tight with apprehension, yet brushed with a feather's weight worth of hope.
“Pack male be pack brother,” his growl was light and her wolf receded a bit. “You sure you want an asshole like me to be your brother?”
“Aye,” she pulled her dagger and drew the blade lightly across her forearm halfway up. She lifted her eyes to his expectantly.
He looked at the shifter, from her eyes to her bleeding arm. He could smell her blood, her hope, and her magic. He felt something nudge his soul just a bit. He wasn't sure what it was but something said this was right.
He used his claw to mark his arm as she had done hers. Then they clasped their arms together and let their blood mingle. Mingle and bind them. Bind them one to the other as pack, as family. The unbridled joy in her eyes warmed his heart.
“Wa do,” the corner of her mouth quirked a bit.
“What did you say?” He asked.
“Thank you, in Cherokee.”
“You're welcome.”
They became quiet and watched the fire.
After a few minutes Inuyasha tensed when he felt her head on his shoulder. His head tipped down and he looked at her sitting next to him. She had leaned over slightly and leaned against him. He relaxed seeing how peaceful she looked.
“Inuyasha I need your help.”
“Keh, now you want it.” He smirked. Her shoulders bounced as she gave a brief chuckle.
“I still don't, but what I want and what I need are not the same.”
“So what do you need?” Her brow furrowed as she answered him.
“If anything ever happens to me I need you to take over.”
“What the fuck do you mean?” His eyes flashed in the firelight as he looked at her again. She sat straight.
“I mean what I said.” Her eyes met his. “I'm fighting a war and there is no guarantee that I'll make it to the end. Be it through death or imprisonment, I could be removed from this confrontation.” Her eyes were deathly serious, hard as flint, and steady. “If that happens I need to know that you'll take care of everything for me.”
“Why me?”
“You're strong enough, fast enough, and very intelligent. The only thing you lack is finesse.” She gave him a slight flash of a smile, “I know that in my absence you could and would handle everything.”
“What about Brook, she's your beta, she would be a better choice, and she already knows all about it.” Her brow furrowed once more.
“What would Miroku do to protect your mate and son in your absence?”
“Damn bouzo would give his life if he had to.”
“Would it be enough?” His eyes widened at her quiet question as he understood what she meant.
“No, only my own life could be enough, and maybe not even then.”
“Exactly, so will you back me up if anything happens?” She turned a troubled gaze on her pack and her voice was a barely audible whisper. “I could not rest easy if anything happened to them,” her eyes flashed back to his. “Will you watch over them for me?”
“Hell yes! I'm not going to leave your pack screwed.” She sighed in relief and leaned against his arm again.
“Thank you Inuyasha.”
“You're welcome damn it. Let's hope I don't screw it up.” She chuckled at the growled words.
“When I was little I used to dream I had a big brother.”
“Well now you got me.”
“Aye I do,” a wicked smirk grew across her lips. “Purr for me brother?”
“I am not a damn cat!”