InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Destined Love ❯ chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two

Who are these elders, the ones that Sango holds in such high esteem? Why is Kagome the one? More importantly, what is the one? I do not understand…

Sessoumaru's pondering was interrupted by a sharp rapping on his door. He didn't have to ask who it was; he recognized their presence.

"Come in, Jaken," he called in a cool yet tired tone. The door swung open, and the tiny demon made his way inside, his naturally nervous gaze flitting from place to place.

Something is wrong with Lord Sesshoumaru, he thought worriedly. It must be that human wench, that Kagome…no, wait! She isn't human or demon, she's a -

"Well? Are you going to say what you came here to say, or would you prefer to just stand there all evening?" Sesshoumaru snapped. Jaken couldn't help but marvel at how his master, so sensitive to others' thoughts, invariably failed to recognize his own servant's. Sometimes the obliviousness frightened him.

"The hanyou Naraku is here, waiting to speak with you, my lord," the lesser demon squeaked.

Sesshoumaru resisted the urge to jump out of his seat cursing, instead opting to rise slowly and gracefully while carefully schooling his _expression into one of calm collected coolness. "Very well," he said. "I will receive him now. Send him in."

Jaken scampered out the door, and within the space of a few very short moments returned leading the half-demon.

"Give me back my Kagome," Naraku demanded the instant he crossed the threshold. Several corridors away, Kagome gave a sharp cry of pain; Sango leapt to her side, while Naraku gave a small feral grin.

His Kagome? His Kagome? Sesshoumaru screamed inwardly. Just who does this pitiful hanyou think he is? His stomach was churning, thrashing wildly as anguish, jealousy, and anger all tried to twist his heart in different directions.

Outwardly, however, he retained his impeccable composure. "I have no idea who you are talking about," he said coldly.

"Don't lie to me. I can smell her on you. You kissed her, didn't you? You kissed her, and she marked you. She wasn't supposed to mark two." The last sentence was spoken in an undertone, but the prince's keen hearing caught it nonetheless.

"I'm sorry, there seems to have been some mistake. And as I have a dinner appointment in rather less than ten minutes, I would greatly appreciate it if you would remove yourself from the premises. You may reschedule your appointment with me another time, if you would like to continue this conversation," the silver-haired demon said. He gave a slight bow.

Naraku returned the formality, saying, "Fine. Then I will leave." You're falling straight into her trap, Sesshoumaru. She wasn't meant to fall for you. And I will win her heart back, with magic if I must; on that you have my word. Until then, watch your back, bastard. Their equally cold gazes met for a short instant, and Naraku swept out.

"Next time, keep your thoughts to yourself," the silver-haired demon muttered. He nabbed a long dress-like robe from its usual place at the end of the bed and swept it over his shoulders, relaxing somewhat in its warmth. Then he too swept from the room, heading for Kagome's chambers.

Kagome gritted her teeth and stood, sighing as the last of the pain faded into memory. Sango was still firing questions at her nonstop, but the princess made no move to answer; she wanted nothing more than to go lay down on her bed and rest for a while.

Why did he let me go? she asked herself. And why is he leaving without trying to find me? It doesn't make sense…

"Are you sure you're okay?" Sango asked again.

"Yes… Yes, I'm fine now," Kagome said. "Please, don't worry about it…it will pass." Sango opened her mouth to say something, but Sesshoumaru chose that moment to slam the door open and enter in all his silver-haired glory.

"I need to speak with Kagome. Alone."

Sango had been in the brothers' service long enough to know better than to protest; she frowned, but gave a deep bow and said, "Yes, m'lord…"

Kagome glared at the demon. "I thought I told you to stay away from me." Her tone was, if possible, even colder than the prince's.

But Sesshoumaru returned her glare evenly. "How did you mark me?" he demanded.

Kagome paled considerably. Her throat went suddenly dry, and they both heard her heart begin to pound faster. How'd he know? How did he find out I marked him? Why did I mark him?

Another darker voice provided the answer. Because you love him.

No! No, that can't be right. I don't love him. I can't love him…can I?

Doubt. It's a beautiful thing. You know you love Sesshoumaru; why deny it? Kagome was beginning to hate the little voice. It was bringing up some very good points.

But I can't marry him! her rational mind screamed.

The voice parried again: Why not? You don't love Inuyasha, so what stands in your way?

The betrothal, she snapped. I can't go back on the betrothal.

Fuck the betrothal! It's like Inuyasha said, you should marry for love, not politics. Your father did, and he regretted it all his life. Do you want to end up like him?

Kagome hesitated. Good points, indeed. You're right. I don't care about duty. I'm sorry, Father, but…this is the way it has to be.

"I marked you with my essence, through the kiss we shared," she blurted aloud.

Sesshoumaru raised a perfectly sculpted eyebrow. "And you did this…why, exactly?"

Kagome bit her lip nervously. This was the tricky part. "It was…well, to protect you. To mark you as mine."

Protection? Hers? Her protection? The words chased each other through the demon's head, reforming and mutating themselves in a fruitless attempt to make sense of the situation. But…he did rather like the sound of it…

"What kind of protection? And from what?" he finally asked.

"Magical," she replied. "As long as you bear the mark, Naraku cannot touch you. Nor can I. By the same token, you can't tough me."

"Can't touch you?" he parroted, disbelieving. "But…why?"

"I…er…can't tell you," Kagome said lamely. Her eyes were drowning in scalding tears; she braved a glace at Sesshoumaru's face in time to see it shift in rapid succession from outrage to confusion to pain, and she turned away as the salty liquid spilled over her cheeks. "I can't tell you because you'll hate me," she muttered.

Sesshoumaru softened when he heard the quaver in her voice. I can't hate her, he told himself. How could I, when I love her? There has to be some sort of reasonable explanation…

"I belong to someone else," she finally admitted.

"Inuyasha? That can be dealt with, I promise. All I have to do is - "

"It's not him," Kagome interrupted, shaking her head.

Sesshoumaru frowned. "Not Inuyasha? Then who is it?"

"It's Naraku," she whispered.

There was a stunned silence.

"NANI?!" Kagome winced, and the silver-haired prince consciously dropped his voice to a more normal level. "How? Why? How is that possible?"

"Give me back my Kagome!"

"Don't lie to me. I can smell her on you."

"She wasn't supposed to mark two."

Everything was beginning to make sense now. All the pieces were clicking together. And Sesshoumaru wasn't liking it. When he spoke, his fists were clenched and his voice was dangerous.

"You marked him, didn't you? You marked Naraku. Because you love him."