InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ DIVINE INTERVENTION ❯ Things Will Never be the Same ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chapter 5 - Things Will Never be the Same


The next morning, Inuyasha woke first, and found himself still lying next to a sleeping Kagome, whom he’d held in his arms all night. She was beginning to stir as well, as their room had an eastern facing window. The morning sun wouldn’t permit anyone to sleep in late in that room.

“Morning Kagome” he said in an almost sensual voice…

“Morning already?” she winched groggily. “I didn’t get a wink of sleep!”

Inuyasha laughed, and proclaimed “Well, neither did I!”

The two smiled at each other, Kagome braved it, and gave Inuyasha a quick, gentle kiss. He didn’t object, but rather smiled brighter. A barrage of thoughts swarmed Kagome’s mind. Things really were different now, he hadn’t just gone back to the way he was. Does this mean they’re a couple now? She hoped it did! Under normal conditions, Kagome knew that inu youkai only mated when it was meant to be forever, but given their unique circumstance, she hadn’t known for sure if deep down, Inuyasha only did what was necessary to save her life, perhaps truly loving her, but still, not intending for them to be life mates….. Wait, that’s right, he loves her! He said as much! Well then, she was just going to get the nagging question out of her mind and into the air…

“Inuyasha?” She addressed him timidly.

“Yes?” he replied, while wiping sleep from his eyes.

“Did you mean what you said?”

Her question had him slightly confused, so he simply inquired “About what?”

“You know,” She started, afraid to offend him “about…..loving me?”

Inuyasha wasn’t upset, but rather, gave her a comforting look, one she’d rarely seen on his usually hostile and stubborn (or embarrassed!) face. “Yes, I meant it.” Then with a streak of worry across his face he asked “Did you mean it?”

“Of course!” She blurted out with a smile, then feeling rather silly, just muttered “I…I just wanted to double-check, last night was….complicated.”

“Keh, you can say that again.” He chuckled. Then suddenly seeing her expression take on that of one who was once again lost deep within their own thoughts, he felt he would beat her to it, “double-checking” as she put it, on a few other issues they’d discussed in the heat of things last night.

“Uh…listen Kagome?” He started, a little embarrassed discussing his feelings, but knowing he needed to continue nonetheless.

“Yes? What is it?” She asked rather blankly, simply because her mind wasn’t sure which way to go at the moment.

“Don’t worry…” She suddenly heard him say, huh?

“About what?” She asked.

“About us, you and me……and Kikyo.”

The look of unbridled joy that had sustained Kagome’s eyes all morning met with their first taste of sadness…. Why’d he mention her name?

“Kagome, listen to me. I want you to understand something. I need to keep my promise to Kikyo that I’ll protect her from Naraku, but I protect all of you from Naraku. If Sango, Miroku, or Shippo were in danger, I’d save them as well. There might be times that I’ll still run off to speak with her, but we only discuss what she knows or what I know about Naraku, and how to defeat him, and I’ll make sure she knows, I won’t be joining her in hell. I still care for Kikyo as a dear friend, but that’s where it ends. Remember, she and I never mated, but now you and I have, you are my mate, Kagome…”

The gleam in her eyes returned even more personified, he’d chosen, and he’d chosen her. Finally, the pair decided they’d better get up and rejoin the others, Inuyasha could smell food being prepared, and new that somebody else had awoken. The two climbed up from the futon and dressed without blushing, yes, they were a couple now.

Upon entering the main living quarters of the old monk’s dwelling, Kagome was greeted with a flying ball of fur headed straight towards her chest.

“KAGOME! You’re ALIVE!” The overly energetic kitsune proclaimed, then pausing and taking a sniff of his ‘mother’, added “And you don’t smell of that awful youkai. You smell….you smell like Inuyasha!

A light amount of blush returned as she gently placed the child back down where their other friends were seated.

“Good morning Kagome, I’m so glad you’re all right.” Voiced an outwardly relieved Sango.

Miroku, the letch that he is, couldn’t help but comment “Yes, I see the Monk’s remedy was a success…..”

*GLARE*

Kagome still had mild embarrassment from her entire predicament, at least when it came to discussing it with the lecherous monk. Inuyasha on the other hand, rather matter-of-factly stated “Yes, it did”

“So are you two gonna get married now, like Miroku and Songo?” Shippo asked innocently.

Kagome flustered for a moment, not expecting a question like that, but the kit was just voicing what burned on everyone’s lips, after all. Once again, before Kagome could manage much more than a glare, she heard Inuyasha’s voice state plainly “Yes”

“We are?” a twinge of enthusiasm apparent in her voice.

Inuyasha ‘keh’ed, then replied “Of course Kagome, I’ll gladly honor you with the human custom. We’re mated now, which means by inu youkai standards, we’re already married….” Then looking up towards Miroku and Sango who tried to appear as if they weren’t paying attention, he added “Just like them…”

Sango nearly spat out her tea, and once she swallowed, she did spit out the bitter words “You told!”

“Did not!” Was Kagome’s mature rebuttal.

“Feh! I could smell the change on you two, it’s obvious to anyone with a youkai nose.”

The blushing pair (not K/I, the other pair!) looked down at Shippo, who nonchalantly stated “I figured you guys thought I didn’t know, so I played along.”

“WELL…” Sango suddenly bellowed “I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m rested up, what do ya say we go find Naraku hmm?”

“Right after breakfast!” Inuyasha and Kagome replied in unison.

Kagome quietly sighed to herself. All she had originally wanted was a good night’s sleep in a real bed, and a hot relaxing bath. Now she was even more exhausted, and they were back to the duty of hunting Naraku. But truth be told, she didn’t quite mind, under the circumstances….

~The End~