InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone ❯ The Chase ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any other character created by Rumiko Takahashi.


Chapter 7 – The Chase

Shippo had gotten over his bout of crying but was still sniffling as he sucked on the lollipop Sango had found in Kagome’s backpack. The sight of the yellow bag had almost started a new round of sobbing but she had assured him that Kagome wouldn’t have gone far without it. “See Shippo? Her math book is in here and didn’t she say she had one of those ‘exams’?” Shippo had nodded and put on a brave face.

Sango and Miroku sat side by side on log. Miroku was absently drawing symbols in the dirt with the end of his staff while Sango turned her brother’s mask over and over in her hands.

“Do you think we should-“ Miroku started, then paused.

“Go after him?” Sango finished. “I’ve been thinking about that, too.”

“Kagome couldn’t have gotten far. With Kirara, we could fly over the area and find him.”

“But we don’t know in which direction he went. We could be flying for hours before spotting him. Besides, we’re supposed to meet him here,” Sango pointed out.

“You’re right. I just don’t like to sit by, idle.”

Sango sighed. They were silent for a few minutes.

“Do you think he’s found her?” Sango asked finally.

Miroku shrugged. “Who can tell.”

“They better not be fighting.” Miroku nodded in agreement.

Miroku jumped up. “I have an idea! Why don’t I take Kirara and find Inuyasha while you and Shippo wait for him here?”

Sango frowned up at him, “Why should I have to wait here?” Kirara mewed.

“Because, my dear Sango, I would hate to see you put yourself in danger when I could go in your place.”

“Uh huh,” Sango muttered and crossed her arms. “Try again.”

“Because you are so much better suited to care for the young kit than I?”

Shippo pulled the sucker out of his mouth and smacked his lips. “He’s got a point, there.”

Sango glared at the kitsune. “You want to be left behind?”

Shippo blinked up at her. “I want Kagome back safe more than anything, but I don’t want to interrupt them.”

“Interrupt what?”

Shippo shrugged and licked the candy. “Kagome kinda smelled like my mama.”

Sango froze as the implications hit her. Shippo could mean one or both of two things: that Kagome smelled like a youkai or that she was in a heat cycle. Inuyasha was usually too shy to approach Kagome, but when bombarded by youkai instinct concerning a demon he felt possessive of, especially if she were sending youkai signals… Sango paled. The other option was too frightening to consider.

“Find them, fast,” she said and pushed the monk toward Kirara.

~~~

Koga stood on the far riverbank, hands on his hips, feet apart, ponytail flying in the breeze. He took exaggerated care to sniff the air. “Kagome, did that mutt hurt you?”

Kagome cringed. This was the last thing she needed. “No, Koga, I’m fine. Thanks.”

Inuyasha’s growl deepened. “Beat it, wolf!”

Koga ignored him. “Then why are you bleeding?“ he looked her over, then sniffed again, eyes widening. He leapt over the river and landed squarely on his feet. Ginta and Hakaku tumbled onto the bank just vacated by their prince, panting for breath and clutching their chests. Seeing the three across the river, their jaws dropped in shock. “Is that our sister?” Ginta asked.

“I think so”, Hakaku replied doubtfully.

Koga sauntered up to her. “Kagome! I thought we were tracking a fox demon in heat, but it’s you! I’m glad you’re finally ready for me, but this is something of a surprise. All that damn Inu-trasha’s fault, I bet.”

‘I have to get rid of Koga, fast.’ She laced her fingers together under her chin. “Koga, this really isn’t a good time.”

“I said, beat it!” Inuyasha roared, his hand tightening around the hilt of his sword. The presence of the other male demon was kicking his instincts into hyper-drive; Koga was trespassing on his territory.

“It doesn’t matter what’s happened to you, Kagome. I love you and it’s time we were mated,” he declared and clasped her hands in his.

The ring of steel on wood brought both of their attentions on Inuyasha, who had drawn Tetsusaiga. “Get your filthy hands off her!”

‘Well, that didn’t take long,’ Kagome thought. Turning back to Koga, she tried to pull her hands from his grasp. “I’m flattered, really I am, but-“

Her words were cut off as she was jerked from her feet and thrust behind Inuyasha’s back. He leveled Tetsusaiga with Koga chest. “Today is the day you day die, flea-bag.”

“Osuwari!” she shrieked. Her hand flew to her mouth when Inuyasha did not crash to the ground. ‘The rosary! I broke it’ she remembered the snap of the string, beads flying everywhere. She hadn’t considered the consequences of her actions at the time; she hadn’t been thinking clearly and had lashed out in pain and anger. A slow smile spread over Inuyasha’s face. “Inuyasha, please-“

“I’ve had enough of this tick-covered mongrel trying to take what doesn’t belong to him.”

“Stand aside, insolent puppy. She is mine!”

“That’s where you’re wrong,” Inuyasha snarled, and swung Tetsusaiga in a slow arc, positioning himself for attack. “She’s mine.”

‘They’re really going to do it, this time. If I can’t stop them, they’ll tear each other apart!’ Kagome was frantic to keep the violence from escalating. She stepped from behind him with the intention of using her body as a barrier between the two aggressors. ‘Wait, what did he just say?’ Before she had taken another step, Koga grabbed her and dragged her to him, swinging her around so that her back was pressed against his chest. He snaked an arm over her shoulder and across her chest.

“Good choice, Kagome. This pup isn’t worth your time,” he murmured in her ear. The tickle of his breath shocked her into action. She grabbed the arm that had been draped around her and used his weight to fling him up and over her shoulder. He landed with a thud next to Inuyasha.

“I’m not a piece of property! Either of you!” She pointed a clawed finger at the two males, her silver eyes blazing with indignation, her musk of her scent spicy with anger. Two pair of eyes returned her gaze with a frightening intensity.

Koga raised himself to a crouch, a fanged smile on his lips. “Then why don’t we settle this the old-fashioned way. If you’re demon enough, that is,” he growled to Inuyasha, but his eyes didn’t leave Kagome.

“Keh. Fine with me,” Inuyasha retorted, sheathing Tetsusaiga and dropping into a similar crouch.

‘What’s wrong with these two?’ Kagome wondered, unconsciously taking a step backward, shivering. ‘They’re waiting for me to do something.’ The two males still stared at her predatorily, leaning forward ever so slightly each time she stepped back. She felt like a rabbit caught in headlights. “Guys?” her voice quavered.

“Kagome!” Ginta called over the river.

She looked at him, eyes pleading.

“Run!”

“What!” Kagome glanced at the two demons in front of her, then back to Ginta who was grinning like a fool and nudging Hakaku. ‘All they need is popcorn,’ she thought distractedly. Her heart was starting to pound, a haze creeping into her mind. Suddenly, running didn’t seem like such a bad idea.

“Whoever catches you gets to lay his claim!” Hakaku yelled back.

Ginta waved at her, trying to be reassuring. “Don’t worry, Koga can’t use the jewel shards in his legs and Inuyasha can’t use his sword!”

A cry, suspiciously close to a bark, riveted her attention back to the males in front of her. They looked ready to pounce. “How could you agree to this?” she flung at Inuyasha. His gold eyes gazed back, very little humanity left. ‘This is insane!’ She took several involuntary steps back, the urge to flee becoming irresistible as her mind clouded. “You can’t be serious,” she whispered, but deep down, she understood the truth. Her demon blood was calling to them; she was playing by youkai rules, now. ‘Inuyasha, you had better be fast,’ she prayed as she spun on the ball of her foot and sped off down the riverbank.

With a crunch and a yelp, the chase was on. Glancing behind her, she saw Koga sprawled in the dirt, Inuyasha already at the front of the race. Koga sprang forward and onto Inuyasha’s back, knocking him flat, then took the lead with another mighty leap. ‘They’re serious, all right.’ Inuyasha scrambled up and barreled into Koga, knocking them both into the water. As the sounds of splashing faded behind her, she veered off into the trees.

She let her instincts guide her through the forest, her feet barely touching the ground. Trees blurred by as she gave herself to the freedom of running. ‘Feels like flying,’ the thought skittered across her mind. A crash behind her spurred her to increase her pace. She couldn’t tell who it was; Inuyasha’s cedar scent was mixed with Koga’s sagebrush. Normally, she would have been able to pinpoint Koga’s exact position by locating the jewel shards in his legs.

Wait, she could sense the jewel shards – she could smell them. ’Maybe I can use this…’ she thought distantly. The trees thinned until she broke through into a grassy field. Riding the rush of adrenaline and youkai power, she launched off the ground. Glancing down, she saw the boys clear the forest in a jumble of limbs. Koga had bitten down on one of Inuyasha’s triangular ears; Inuyasha socked him in the gut, dislodging him. She touched down lightly and thrust off the ground again, her hair streaming behind her.
Converting /tmp/phpQXZEqS to /dev/stdout