InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Down the Well, Into the Heart ❯ Rin's Kimono ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Down the Well, Into the Heart
Chapter Two - Rin's Kimono
Sesshoumaru/Kagome. Whiteopium does not claim ownership of anything InuYasha related and finds that disclaimers are completely ridiculous.

'I'm dead.' Jaken thought, staring down at the bottom of the well, 'I might as well be dead, anyways.'
It was the middle of the previous night. Rin tugged on his clothing, "Jaken, please help Rin look for water. Rin tried, but can't find any."
Jaken narrowed his eyes, "Go back to sleep, Rin."
"Please, Jaken? Rin's throat really hurts."
That's when he remembered yesterday's unsuccessful quest for food for the human girl. He couldn't bare to disappoint Lord Sesshoumaru again. "Okay, fine, Rin, I'll help you find water." He stood up, unhappy, "Just be quiet."
"Thank you!"
"Fine."
At first their search for water was extremely unsuccessful. Jaken couldn't find any nearby source that wouldn't make Rin sick. 'Blast her stupid, weak body.'
But then, at last, he caught in his sight a well - what humans used to retrieve fresh water to drink. "There, Rin." He pointed. "Get water from that well."
"Okay."
Jaken retired against a tree trunk, waiting for her to get the water and then go back to Lord Sesshoumaru.
So Rin obeyed, climbing on the rim of the well, "Jaken, Rin doesn't see any water."
"Of course you can't. Your stupid human night vision is terrible. Try harder."
Rin leaned over further, reaching around for water, "Can't feel any water, either. It smells damp, Jaken, but are you sure..?"
"Do I have to do everything myself?" Jaken asked, approaching the well to help her.
"Rin is sor-AH!"
And then that's when Rin fell over the edge of the well.
"Jaaakkeeenn!" Screamed Rin, falling down and not having anything to grab onto.
And when Jaken's eyes grew ten sizes larger.
"Rin..." Jaken hissed, more concerned about his own health.
And when it marked the day of Jaken's death by Lord Sesshoumaru. Oh, what was Jaken to do? He certainly wasn't going to leap in there himself.
"Rin?" He called again, his little hands grasping the edge of the well, "Rin? Are you down there? Can you hear me? RIIIIIINNN!"
That is when Sesshoumaru's ear twitched. Uh oh. 'What did Jaken do now?'
It was when it was completely silent that Jaken was worried the most. He could no longer hear the echoes of his name from Rin. She was giving no reply. Why is it that the well seemed endless? And it really didn't have any water in it, he now realized.
Jaken bashed his head on the wall, 'There is no way that stupid human survived that. She must be dead.'
Jaken then stopped, 'I'm going to be dead!'
He started running around in panic, 'Lord Sesshoumaru is going to kill me. That's all there is to it. He's going to kill me. He's gonna kill me, damnit!'
Jaken then tripped on a tree root, much like Kagome, but was knocked unconscious when he hit his head on the well.
"Would you like me to wash your kimono, Rin? It's awfully dirty." Mrs. Higurashi pointed at the dirt spots all over the checkered material.
"Okay, but what will Rin wear if not her kimono?"
"You can wear some of Kagome's old clothes."
"Really? Kagome's clothes?" Rin looked up at Mrs. Higurashi with her big, black eyes.
Mrs. Higurashi pulled Rin in a hug, 'She's so adorable!' "Would you like a bath, too, Rin?" 'But I've never seen such a dirty little girl.'
"Okay, but Rin really should be getting back to Lord Sesshoumaru soon."
"All right, it will be quick. I'm sure your Lord Sesshoumaru will be happy to see you so clean." Mrs. Higurashi had just put her dirty clothes in the washer and was now starting up the tub.
"Ooh, look at all the bubbles! They smell good, too." Rin admired, stepping into the tub. It had lots of bubble bath in it and the suds almost went to her chin, "Rin has never, ever taken a bath like this. It is so nice and warm." She splashed around, blowing the bubbles in the air.
"I'm very sorry I'm late." Kagome apologized, just arriving at the track.
"It's okay, Kagome. Are you feeling up to it? You look horrible." Her teacher replied.
'For once I'm not faking it.' "Yes, I'm okay. I just want to get it over with."
"You just have to run a mile under eleven minutes."
'Okay, okay, I can do this.' The teacher sounded the class to start. Kagome was just jogging to preserve energy. 'I wonder how Rin got here.'
She imagined the little girl running around with her mother. She smiled, 'I bet Mom has given her the whole jar of cookies. I bet Sesshoumaru's never given her a cookie before. Rin will like it. I don't think there is any little kid who doesn't like cookies.'
Kagome stopped dead in her tracks, "Sesshoumaru!" She whispered, clenching her fist. She could only imagine what the horrible demon would do to her mother when he found Rin there eating cookies. 'Oh, no... Mom! Please, please be okay!'
"What's 'Sesshoumaru?'" A classmate asked, running next to her.
"Nothing! I've gotta run, sorry!" With that, Kagome had a burst of speed, 'I have to finish this and get home before it's too late!'
"Wow, Kagome, a record time for your class!" The teacher announced, stopping the stop watch.
"Thanks, but I have to go home now!" Kagome ran home, "Please, Mom! Please be okay!"
The teacher watched Kagome run home, puzzled. 'Weird, sickly girl.'
Sesshoumaru knew it was time to check on the toad demon that travelled with him. He could smell Jaken, but Rin's scent was nowhere. Not a good sign.
He arrived at the well to an unconscious Jaken. Sesshoumaru shook his head, 'What an idiot...'
He poked Jaken with his shoe. Jaken twitched, immediately awakened. His head spun around to try and recognize where he was. Suddenly he was faced with the great, tall, powerful being known as Sesshomaru staring down at him as if he was a disgusting bug in his fresh soup.
"Wha.. whaa.. what?" Jaken mumbled, still groggy, "L-Lord Sesshoumaru?"
"Jaken." Sesshoumaru sent him a questioning look.
"Ah! Well, uh, you see, Rin, um..." Jaken rubbed the back of his head nervously. The look in Sesshoumaru's eyes just oh-so-simply stated, "Where is the human, you stupid, poor excuse of a full-bred demon? Are you completely incapable?"
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at Jaken, "Rin is..?"
"I was sleeping, it was all good, you know how it is, with night and the moon and the stars, and then, well, Rin pokes me and says, you know, Jaken, yeah, that's my name, Jaken, and then, uh, she asked me, yeah, well, um, she then, uh, you see, water, Rin said, and I said..." Jaken could tell he wasn't being concise. All he needed to do was point at the well.
Sesshoumaru turned his head and looked down the well into the pitch black darkness. He then looked at Jaken, "Rin is in the well?"
"Uh, yes." Jaken nodded.
"How long ago?"
"Um... I don't know. I passed out." Jaken continued nodding, but lowered his head in shame, knowing what was coming.
Sesshoumaru hit Jaken in the head with the bottom of his shoe before leaping into the well after Rin.
"Now that you are nice and clean, Rin, would you like breakfast?" asked Mrs. Higurashi.
Rin nodded, following Mrs. Higurashi into the kitchen. She sat down at the table across from Grandpa.
"Who is this little girl?" Kagome's Grandpa asked, staring down Rin who was now clad in one of Kagome's old jumpers.
Rin frowned at the disapproving look on the old man's face.
"Rin. Kagome brought her here this morning." Mrs. Higurashi explained, drying some dishes. Grandpa sent a menacing look to Rin.
Rin looked back at Kagome's Grandpa and sniffed, "You smell funny."
Grandpa scowled, folding his arms over his chest in silent denial. Mrs. Higurashi placed a bowl of steaming soup infront of him.
"Oh, Kagome's back." Mrs. Higurashi pointed to Kagome who was running in the distance.
Rin was handed another cookie after her soup, "Rin's nose feels much better now."
"Good." Mrs. Higurashi patted Rin on her head. "Kagome will take you back now, I'm sure. It was nice meeting you, Rin."
Grandpa sniffed the air, eyeing around the atmosphere suspiciously, "I sense a horrible demonic presence."
"It must be InuYasha. Kagome wasn't scheduled to come back today. You know how he gets."
"No, much stronger than InuYasha. It's horrible!" Grandpa grabbed the girls' arms, "We have to hide!"
"No, Kagome just got back. I think she will want breakfast."
"No! It's too late! It's the armageddon, I tell you!" Grandpa Higurashi dragged the girls by their forearms.
"Wait, what about Kagome?" Mrs. Higurashi squirmed out of Grandpa's grasp, taking Rin with her.
The three paused and looked out the window at Kagome. She was running as fast as she could, but suddenly she stopped dead in her tracks with a look of horror on her face.
When Sesshoumaru leaped out of the well, he immediately put his hand on his ear and smashed the other against his shoulder, 'What horrible sounds!' Every tire screeching, horn honking, door opening was a million times louder to Sesshoumaru.When his ears adjusted, his eyes looked around. 'Such a different place. Is this really the future? If so, what a trajic future, indeed. Such horrible smells, too.'
He knew that when he hit the bottom of the well Rin's remains weren't there. He was relieved when he came up from the well, although in a different era completely, that he smelled Rin's scent and that she was alive. Although it was hard to pick up through all of the new scents entering his nose, he was focused on Rin.
"Rin is in that house." He stated to himself, calmly walking to the shrine.
Buyo was casually taking his morning stroll when he froze in sight of the extremely tall and stoic creature approaching him.
Sesshoumaru glared at the cat, sending it flying and screeching in the opposite direction.
"Stupid cat." Sesshoumaru mumbled. He sensed another human, 'That human girl! InuYasha's wench.' He could see her in the distance, running as fast as she possibly could. Her breathing was heavy and she was in even stranger clothing that Sesshoumaru had never seen before - a track jacket and jogging shorts.
'I've got to get home, I've got to get home!' Kagome repeated to her self, running at full power, 'I need to get there before he does, I need to get there before he does! He could so easily kill Mom and Grandpa. Good thing Souta's at school, the little scaredy cat would pass out in fright.'
She just reached the entrance of the Higurashi Shrine and sighed, 'I can't stop now, I must save Mom and Grandpa.'
That's when she froze.
"Sess... Sesshou... Sesshoumaru?" She whispered, not liking the demon's aggravated look. And, oh no, he was approaching her. So very slowly, but with each step a tremor of fear to her well-being. If there is one thing she learned about him, it was angry Sesshoumaru equals death.
He just replied with that blank look, "..."
How she hated that blank look. It was the classic blank look of Sesshoumaru. The blank look of doom.
"R-Rin is in the house. She is s-safe, I-I promise." Kagome pointed to her house, afraid and without InuYasha or a bow and arrow to protect her, "She's with m-my mom. I promise, we'd never, ever hurt Rin. I'm really serious."
Sesshoumaru faced the house and continued walking in that direction. Kagome ran behind him.
'He's ignoring me?' Kagome was starting to get annoyed.
"I was going to take her back, I promise! I just didn't have the time!" she persuaded. "Really! I really, really was!"
He didn't acknowledge her speech. He just walked nearer and nearer to the house.
"I'm sorry, I really would've taken her back sooner, but I had a test!"
He arrived at the door.
"Stop! Wait! Don't-"
It was too late. He just pushed open the door instead of figuring how to open it.
"Hey!" Kagome frowned, "I would've opened the door for you! What, wait! Where are you going?"
She jogged after him again. How was he moving so fast but with such graceful, light, little steps?
"Lord Sesshoumaru!" Rin greeted, her now clean kimono in her arms. Mrs. Higurashi and Grandpa were in awe of Sesshoumaru. Never had they seen such a tall, pale, noble looking person in their lives.
"Hey!" Kagome called again, hands on her hips, "What do you think you're doing?"
'This human dares to challenge this Sesshoumaru?' "Returning Rin." He narrowed his eyes at her, "Do you have an issue with this, human?"
"I don't mean that, I mean, why did you break down the door?"
"He broke down the door?" Mrs. Higurashi panicked. Sesshoumaru headed for the door again.
"They're expensive!" Kagome stepped out of his path - he seemed really angry. "I really am sorry for not returning Rin sooner. I was going to but I had an exam and I was late and I knew Mom would keep her okay and-"
He didn't bother to listen. He just exited. Kagome followed him out the door.
"Rin had lots of fun," Rin explained, "Rin got a bath and lots of cookies."
"Where did you get those clothes from?"
"Sesshoumaru, wait!" Kagome yelled.
"Kagome's mom."
"Take them off immediately."
"Okay," Rin sighed.
Sesshoumaru picked Rin up with his arm and leaped down the well.
"Sesshoumaru!" Kagome called, her hand clenching on the well. "Whatever."
Kagome slumped down against the well, 'It's not like we hurt Rin. Why is he so disrespectful?' She wondered, staring up at the big blue sky.
'Oh, just to humans,' She huffed, 'But why does he keep Rin? He obviously cares about her.'
Kagome sighed, rolling her neck to relieve some stress. 'That guy certainly is a mystery.'
Kagome's tired eyes travelled down the length of her lawn before closing. 'So tired... Hey? What's that?' Her eyes set on something green.
'Rin's obi?'

I'm sorry for punishing Jaken so much. And Buyo, too, I guess. Poor cat. And if Rin's outfit isn't a kimono/obi, I apologize for that, too. I really don't know for sure what it is. Well, I would like to thank everyone who read, especially those who reviewed. I would just like to say that unfortunately, the manga will end soon, but before it does, I hope they show Sesshoumaru's mother. I bet she looks just like him, except with a more feminine body, obviously. Also, I'd like to say Sesshoumaru is not a nice, fluffy, emotional demon as often portrayed in Sess/Kag fanfiction, especially in the romantic and citrus ones. I tried to keep him in character as I would imagine it. He is a demon and has desires and feelings, as much as he says he is perfect and is all-powerful (you know that isn't true - he saved Rin and he hasn't beat InuYasha yet, right? Also, his father obviously desired Izayoi and his mother at some point, even if Sesshoumaru was only created to be a perfect killing machine?) But, you have to understand he is one of those characters who do not accept embarassment and to have something that would reject him or he couldn't control is unacceptable. This provides a challenge with the Kagome and Sesshoumaru relationship to be considered somewhat believeable. Yes, this is a Sess/Kag fanfiction, but before we can get to an actual relationship between them a reason has to be found for it to actually start. So, if you hold on and wait for the relationship to begin, I hope you will find my fanfiction will please you. :-)