InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dragoons of the Sacred Jewel ❯ An unsual gem ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or Legend of Dragoon.

Dragoons of The Sacred Jewel

Chapter One: An unusal gem

"Are you sure this is what you sensed?" Inuyasha snapped as he prowled around the corpse of the demon he had just slain. He stopped once or twice and gave the corpse a kick. He turned to look at the teenage girl that was standing a few feet away.

"Well?" He asked "Are you sure?" Kagome sighed and brushed a strand of hair out from in front of her eyes.

"Yes, I'm sure this is the demon Inuyasha." She said then frowned. "I could have sworn it was carrying a shard but it wasn't nearly powerful enough to be carrying one. And I can't see one anywhere on it's body."

"Feh" The half-demon snorted. "You must be loosing you touch wench."

"Inuyasha……" Kagome began in warning.

"Bet Kikyo wouldn't have made a mistake like that." He said under his breath. Unfortunately Kagome was standing near enough to hear every word.

"SIT!" She shouted, a small smile on her face as Inuyasha was slammed face first into the ground. "I heard that Inuyasha!"

"Feh, Stupid Girl." He said as he glared at her before stalking off. Kagome was about to yell out another sit after him when a voice interrupted her.

"What did he say to you now?" Miroku asked. He glanced back and froth between Inuyasha's retreating figure and Kagmoe's sullen face.

"Nothing Miroku." Kagome replied as she side-stepped to avoid the monks groping hand. She turned her glare upon him and started to berate him.

"Kagome?" Shippo's voice rang out from behind the demon. The small fox demon stepped into view with something cradled in his hands.

"What is it Shippo?" She asked as she crouched down to look at it.

"Didn't you say that the demon didn't have a shard of the jewel?"

"Yes I did Shippo." Kagome sighed. She was getting tired of repeating herself.

"Then what's this?" He asked and opened his hands. Kagome gasped at the small white sphere laying in the center of his palms.

"I…I don't know Shippo." She said then turned to look at Miroku who had also come to see what Shippo had found.

"What do you think it is Miroku?" The monk leaned down for a closer look then frowned.

"It seems to resemble an eye…." He said. This statement caused Shippo to drop the sphere and step backwards shuddering and wiping his hands on his pants.

"An EYE? Ewww!" At the moment Kirara trotted up and sniffed at the jewel. She mewed at Sango who was returning after changing out of her fighting clothes.

"Miroku was just teasing you Shippo." She said as she glared at the monk. "It doesn't look like an eye to me." The demon slayer picked up the jewel and held it up the sunset squinting at it.

"It looks more like pearl to me." She said after a moment "But what would a demon this far from the sea be doing with a pearl?"

"I don't know Sango. Maybe Kaede does. If we take it back to the vill…."

"What in the hell are you doing!" Inuyasha interrupted as he stormed up to them.

"If we don't get going soon we won't be able to find somewhere to camp tonight."

"Be patient Inuyasha! Shippo found something interesting and we're just trying to see what it is!" The half-demon looked over to Sango who still held the stone.

"Feh, it just looks like a rock to me!"

"Well it isn't! Sango thinks it's a pearl."

"So?"

"Pearls are much more valuable then rocks!" Kagome shouted at him.

"Feh, why should I care?" Inuyasha snorted. Resting the urge to yell out the word sit she turned to Sango and held out her hand.

"Can I see it Sango?" She asked the demon hunter. Sango recognized the annoyed tone in Kagome's voice and simple nodded before she dropped it into her outstretched hand.

The moment the pearl touched her hand a flash of extremely bright light lit the clearing and obscured everyone's vision. Kagome automatically dropped the pearl and took a step backwards, hand's up raised in a useless attempt to shield her eyes. The flash had been so bright that it was several minuets before Kagmoe's vision cleared enough for her to see her companions. Much to her surprise Inuyasha had somehow manage to step in front of her and now stood protectively, a transformed Tetsusaiga held in his hands. Miroku and Sango had also shifted into battle stances and Kirara had transformed.

"What…..what in the hell just happened!?" Inuyasha demanded after a minuet or so when no threat manifested it self.

"I don't know." Kagome said softly as she glanced around. Shippo, who was hiding behind her legs, also looked around. Inuyasha snorted and sheathed Tetsusaiga before he turned and glared at Shippo.

"Why in the hell did you bring something dangerous like that over to Kagome? You could have hurt her!" Inuyasha shouted at him. Kagome was slightly startled at Inuyasha yelling that she could have been hurt when a moment before he had been yelling at her for messing up but she couldn't let him yell at Shippo like that.

"It's not his fault!" She said as she picked up the kit. "He didn't know anything like that would happen. And it's not really dangerous, it's not like anyone got hurt or anything!"

"Someone could have though!" Inuyasha shouted back at her. "He shouldn't have brought something he found on a demon to you!"

"Quit acting like I'm helpless Inuyasha! I can take care of my self!"

"Really! Then that's why Sesshomaru almost killed you huh? You were taking care of yourself!"

"That's totally different and you know it!" Fortunately at that moment Miroku spoke up and cut their argument short.

"Did either of you notice that when Sango was holding the pearl nothing happened?" He asked.

"Feh, it was probably waiting for the weakest person in the group to hold it or something!"

"SIT!" Kagome shouted and watched in satisfaction as Inuyasha was once again body slammed into the ground.

"Or maybe it was set to go off after a particular length of time." Sango mused.

"But it's not like it actually hurt anyone, why make a bright flash of light?" Shippo asked.

"A distraction?" Kagome said and then glanced around nervously.

"Unlikely. If there was an ambush set they would have already attacked." Miroku said.

"Inuyasha, why don't you pick it up." The half-demon was still sitting on the ground grumbling.

"Why me?" He asked suspiciously.

"You're half-demon and less like to be permanently harmed if it is a trap." The monk answered. Inuyasha glared but reached out and took the jewel in his and……nothing happened.

"What the hell?" He muttered and shook it around as if he suspected it was broken. He looked over and saw the Miroku was frowning.

"Strange. May I see it Inuyasha?" He asked and held out his hand. Inuyasha snorted and threw the pearl at him. Miroku caught the sphere one handed and looked at it for a few moments before looking up at Kagome.

"Kagome, maybe you should try holding it again."

"Al…alright" Kagome said a little nervously. She put Shippo down and then reached out to take the sphere. This time she was prepare for the flash and managed to shut her eyes a second before it went off. When she opened her eyes again the light had faded but the pearl continued to give off a soft glow.

"It's pretty." Shippo said from the ground. Inuyasha reached over and bobbed the kit over the head before he stood up and snatched the sphere from Kagome's hand.

"Hey!" She exclaimed and tried to grab it back. Inuyasha just pushed her away.

"Quiet wench." He ordered then scowled. "Hey, it stopped glowing."

"SIT!" Kagome said. She reached down and picked up the sphere that Inuyasha had dropped when he was slammed into the ground. "It's rude to grab things Inuyasha!"

"Feh, shut it stupid…….girl." He said as he stared at the pearl in her hand. It was glowing again.

"So it only works when Kagome holds it?" Sango asked and held out her hand. Obediently Kagome dropped into her palm then watched as the glow faded once again. She reached out and took it back and the gem started to glow once more.

"But why me?" Kagome asked. "I'm just a normal girl!"

"It could be responding to your powers." Miroku said with a thoughtful look on his face.

"Powers?" Kagome said laughing. "I don't have any powers. It's not like I'm really a priestess."

"You got that right." Inuyasha snorted out. Kagome glared at him and he shut up but only to glare back at her.

"Then what about you arrows Kagome?" Sango said, Kirara mewing in agreement. Kagome opened her mouth to respond but stopped when she realized she couldn't explain her enchanted arrows.

"I….I'm going to show this to Kaede." She stammered out and started to walk toward her bike that lay a few yards away. "Maybe she'll know what it only glows for me." After a few steps she looked back at her friends. "Well, are you coming? We have to leave if we want to find someplace to camp before nightfall."

Grumbling Inuyasha walked over to join her. After a few seconds so did Sango, Miroku, and Shippo followed them. Kirara stayed behind and kept glancing around, fur slightly fluffed up until Sango called out and she raced to join her companions.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~

No one, not even Inuyasha, noticed the figure that had been watching them from the trees. It hissed in annoyance and narrowed crimson eyes as it watched them leave. Once they were out of sight it spread wings of light and darted off deeper into the forest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Plantress: Well there's the first chapter. This is actully a concept that's been rolling around in my mind for a while now so I thought I might as well do something with it. Please excuse the grammatical errors that always seem to elude me no matter how many times I reread my work, spelling and convention aren't really my thing. Any way please Read and Review to tell me what you think, and remember: the more review I get the faster I update. Thanks

-Plantress.

Next Time! Chapter Two: A Ruby and A transformation!