InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eenie Meenie Miney Miko ❯ Decisions ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================


Chapter 3 – Decisions



Bounding up onto his feet, Inuyasha could see much clearer now, and saw that the air around them possessed a slight gradient, indicating a light source was near. He could also smell the fresher air of said light source, as well as hear various birds singing happily above the ruckus of the echoing river. These indicators were lost on the women, but he quickly commanded that they all continued onward. This cave had an entrance, it wouldn’t be necessary to bust through the walls, after all.

They walked in awkward silence for a while, Inuyasha pondering over all he had heard, while Kagome wondered what all he had heard. Kikyo, meanwhile, pondered over where Naraku could be hiding, and how many different ways she could kill him. After about twenty minutes or so, their peaceful romp through the damp cave finally came to a halt, upon the discovery of another, fairly large hole, along the upper edge of the side wall. This was the source of light they had all been lured to, as well as the fresh air Inuyasha could smell. Kagome still couldn’t smell anything other than “cave”, and Kikyo did not care to notice her sense of smell, if she even still had one at all.

If you thought the fates had forgotten about our cursed hanyou, then you were mistaken, for this means of escape held with it both a good side, and a bad side. Fortunately, it did reveal itself upon their side of the river, so contrary to Kagome’s increasing paranoia, they would in fact, not be required to reenter the water. However, this hole was quite beyond the reach of mortal man, and would require the aid of an inu-hanyou, to leap out of it, and this task, unfortunately, much like a rescue via a fireman’s ladder, must be accomplished one miko at a time.

Inuyasha uncomfortably shifted his gaze between the two girls, then stutteringly declared he would bound up himself first, to be sure the area was safe and ‘stuff.’ Upon disappearing through the hole in the roof, Inuyasha set forth to do just what he claimed, though at the time it was only the first excuse he could think of to allow himself some time to consider his options. Sniffing the ground for any signs of stray youkai, he weighed the pros and cons of rescuing Kikyo first vs. Kagome, wondering which outcome would grant him fewer “sits”. Either scenario left him vulnerable with a moment of “alone” time with Kikyo at Kagome’s expense. Gulping, he realized he was quite, quite doomed.

Meanwhile, back in the cave, Kagome looked over at Kikyo, who looked back unwarily, her evil smirk having once again returned to her lips, who must have felt quite lonely without it.

“I suppose you believe he will save you first…” she said with a sneer.

“I…it doesn’t matter, just so long as we both get out of here.” she answered, confused at her preincarnation’s sudden shift in personality.

“Indeed. No fear in your heart that after rescuing me, he’ll leave you behind?” she taunted.

“Of course not!” she assured quickly, adding, “And if he takes me out first, he won’t leave you behind either, if you’re worried about it.”

“That would be quite a pointless thing for me to worry about, considering that I am number one in his life.” she stated matter-of-factly.

“What about all that stuff you said about seeing how he loves me?”

“That conversation was for his benefit, considering he was quite awake.”

“He was?”

A small assembly of butterflies began to take up residence in Kagome’s stomach, but that was nothing compared to the swarm Inuyasha currently had dwelling within his own, upon hearing every word exchanged between the two while he stood only feet away from the opening above their heads. What was Kikyo trying to pull? Was she really this cruel, or was she just trying to get Kagome to stand up for herself and her feelings for him? Did Kikyo believe what she had told Kagome earlier, regarding his feelings for her reincarnation, or did she think that he cared for her more, and would reject Kagome, humiliating her? The Kikyo he loved was never this manipulative, but then again, the woman below his feet was not the Kikyo he had loved. She was a recreation, a resurrection, a golem born of clay, fueled by souls of the dead and a desire for vengeance. Nevertheless, he couldn’t just leave her down there, nor Kagome, any longer, as he abruptly rejoined them.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome exclaimed with a start, hand upon her chest.

“It’s safe…” he said, locking his eyes with Kagome. He was trying to read her, but while he was, she misread him, misread his stare as meaning to say, he needed to take Kikyo first, when in fact, he hadn’t made up his mind yet. “Um…I can only carry one of you at a time…” he said finally, then looked down before any hurt that would appear in Kagome’s eyes could reach his own, causing him to share her hurt. But before he could say anything else, he heard Kagome’s voice, in an oddly cheerful tone that for some reason, seemed rather forced.

“Better get Kikyo out of here then…so she can rejoin with her soul collectors…”

“Kagome?” he muttered, surprised.

He wasn’t expecting that, nor was he expecting to receive silence from Kikyo as she placed herself upon his back. Without meeting Kagome’s gaze, he leapt out of the cave, freeing Kikyo from the chamber that had been her prison, and would have been her tomb, were it not for the woman he’d just left behind in the darkness. In truth, he had decided to take Kagome first, and the fact that she suggested he take Kikyo, hurt him more than he realized it would. For he knew, he knew she was merely putting on a brave face, and for once, he found himself wishing she did not hide her tears. He was just about to head back down for her when…

“Inuyasha…”

“Kikyo... ” he sighed in frustration, “I’ve gotta get Kagome.”

“Just one moment.” she insisted.

He waited impatiently as Kikyo approached him. What was she up to now?

“Here…”

She surprised him by reaching for his hand, placing within it the chunk of Shikon no Tama that she’d still held up to this point. “I believe this belongs to you.”

“Kikyo…” he sighed again, angry with himself for having jumped to conclusions, “One of these shards belonged to you, maybe we can separate them…” he started to offer.

“Don’t be foolish.” she insisted, “You are on a quest to complete the jewel, are you not?” she asked knowingly, adding “I am not collecting these shards, and had one in my possession simply by the coincidental matter of having come across it during my travels. Take it.” With that, she closed his fingers around the jewel, surprising him also when he realized she trusted him with the jewel, instead of having given it directly to Kagome. When had she gained so much faith in him?

He was momentarily at a loss for words, as rare as that event sounded, and was pulled from his thoughts when Kikyo instructed

“Better not keep Kagome waiting…” then she added a little quieter “She loves you, you know.”

“Kikyo…” he sighed again, “…yeah.” he answered, and then he held her in a short, thanking embrace.

It wasn’t truly goodbye, for he was sure he’d see her again from time to time, as they both shared the mission of defeating Naraku. But it was goodbye in one way, the one way which allowed him to say ‘hello’ to Kagome, who ever since Inuyasha’s departure from the cave had been straining her senses, trying to hear every word passed between the two above her. Unfortunately, with the echo of the river next to her, she could only make out a few random words, most of which being either Inuyasha’s or Kikyo’s name, uttered by the voice of the other. That didn’t help much. She was also fairly certain she heard them say something about the jewel shards, and what caught her attention most were what sounded like the words “love you” coming from Kikyo’s voice, and Inuyasha sighing her name afterwards.

I think I’m gonna be sick she thought to herself, as she suddenly had an overwhelming urge to either cry or throw up, or both.

Without warning, Inuyasha leapt back into the cave, catching Kagome in her halfway climb up the edge of the wall, obviously meaning to give her a greater vantage point for eavesdropping. Startled, she lost her grip and fell backwards, and would have made her fears about retesting the waters a reality were it not for Inuyasha’s lightning fast reflexes.

“Oi, Kagome! What were you doing up there?”

Upon seeing the tears forming in her eyes, it suddenly dawned on him that she’d been listening, but her hearing wasn’t good enough to hear everything they said,
was it?

“What’d you hear?” he asked her point blank.

“Enough!” she cried, squirming to get out of his grip…

“Hey, what’s the matter with you? Knock that off before you…” But it was too late, she was thrashing in his arms so violently, he lost his balance, and down they went, into the cold, cold river.

Some things are simply meant to be...

Inuyasha yelped, and Kagome gasped. How’d she know she’d end up back in the damn river?

“Feh!” he spat harshly, indicating he was more than a little angry with her, “Come on, grab my hand…” he instructed curtly.

Reluctantly, she complied, not wishing to freeze to death. They climbed up on shore, and Inuyasha flashed Kagome a nasty expression.

“What was that all about?” he asked, aghast, while shaking the water out of his ears.

“I…I just wanted you to put me down!” she cried, distraught.

“Why?” Now he wasn’t so much angry, as confused.

“I…I’m just upset…okay?”

“Feh!” What a stupid answer, “No!” he snapped, “It’s not okay…What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Like you don’t know…” she mumbled quietly to herself, but he was hanyou now, and easily heard her.

“Stupid bitch, I have no idea!” He never thought he’d ever have the desire to pull out his own hair.

“I heard everything! Okay?” Kagome cried in return, collapsing upon the ground, a bundle of tears.

Kneeling beside her, Inuyasha spoke more calmly, regretful over her tears, though his confusion was evident in his voice as well

“Then why are you so upset?” he asked, pulling a wet lock of hair behind her ear, “I’d think you’d be happy.” he added, “She gave us the jewel back…”

“I’m not talking about the jewel baka!” she snapped, swatting his hand away, “I heard her say she loves you!”

Stunned, he spoke before thinking. “Oi wench, she’s not the one who loves me, you are!”

Kagome gasped, staring at him in shock.

“I…I mean…” His face was as red as his haori.

“What?” she asked, her voice shaky.

“Feh…” He blushed some more, but spoke nonetheless. “I heard you, you know.” he reminded, “Last night, when you told Kikyo you loved me as a hanyou.” A deep crimson found its way on Kagome’s cheeks. “Just now,” he started again, “She was only reminding me of that fact, koi. Kikyo told me that you loved me, just like she told you I loved you…” he explained.

“So…you were awake.” she mumbled, her blush matching his own.

“Um...yeah.” he answered awkwardly, after realizing what he’d just unthinkingly confessed.

“Is it true?”

“Keh…”

“I see…” she started to cry again.

“Oi, Kagome, don’t cry! You know how I feel, damn it!”

“No…I don’t…” she sniffled.

Pulling her into a tight embrace, he leaned into her ear “Fucking Kagome, you should know that I love you…”

Looking down at her face, which was buried in his haori, he gently lifted her chin with his finger, so that his amber eyes met her own.

“I know that you love me.” he added after a moment.

Kagome blushed again at his words, then Inuyasha surprised her, as he leaned forward, pressing his lips to hers in a gentle kiss. She stumbled again, but this time did not object when Inuyasha caught her, chuckling instead, at her own clumsiness. After regaining her footing, he signaled for her to climb up onto his back, so they could finally get out of this kami forsaken cave.

“So…what was it you wished?” he asked awkwardly, wanting to break the sudden silence between them.

“Huh?”

“Back in the cave,” he reminded, “Kikyo asked you what you wanted to happen with your life after we defeated Naraku…and...”

“Oh…” she paused, blushing slightly, then fumbled through with “…Um…well, I wasn’t sure how you felt, but now…let’s just say my wish has already come true.”

“So does that mean you’ll stay with me?” he asked, his voice hopeful.

“I could never leave you.” she assured, tightening her embrace on his shoulders.

As Inuyasha continued to carry Kagome on his back as they headed back towards the campsite where the others were surely awake by now, wondering where the couple had gone, he found himself smiling the biggest, brightest smile he’d ever sported throughout his entire life. His gleeful beaming was ceased, however, upon hearing Kagome’s voice nonchalantly mutter “Kikyo was right about one thing, though…”

“What do you mean?” he asked, nervously.

“Put me down for a moment...” she asked, instead of answering his question.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” Now he was really getting worried, as he racked his brain across everything that Kikyo had said during their encounter.

“How can I love you when…”

Oh gods, here it comes... he thought miserably, his ears lowering, When I’m a filthy, lowly hanyou. Right? Just say it...

“…it appears like I don’t even trust you.” she finished, as she carefully pulled off the rosary.

He was not expecting that... “Kagome?”

“I should have removed these long ago, you don’t need them any more.” she insisted, adding “Kaede had merely threw them on you in an emergency, back when you were a bad guy. They were necessary to keep you from stealing the jewel.” she found the memories humorous, “Ha! You even tried to kill me!”

Kagome was actually chuckling at the flash back in her mind, but it hurt Inuyasha to remember how he’d almost slashed her down the instant she’d freed him. He would never, ever do anything to hurt her now, never! Still a little insecure with himself over being a hanyou, he felt he had to be absolutely certain…

“You really want to be with me?” he asked, his desperation for her answer clear in his voice.

“Yes…if you’ll have me…” she answered without hesitation.

With that, Inuyasha embraced Kagome tightly. Not long after the hug began, he leaned in for another kiss as well, this one more passionate than the first. When they finally broke apart, she hopped back up onto his back, so that they could continue back to camp before Sango and Miroku began searching the forest for them.

Somewhere, from her hidden vantage point, an undead miko was smiling, thinking… It worked...


~End~