InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Face In The Sun ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Inuyasha! Get over it!
 
 
The sun had just started to rise, waking a restless Miroku. The monk opened his eyes and inhaled a beautiful scent. The scent seemed to be a combination of vanilla and peppermint. He looked at the person sleeping in his arms, and recognized it at once as Sango. Sango, whom he loved so much. Sango, whom he would gladly give his life to protect. He smiled fondly at the sleeping woman and buried his face in her fragrant hair.
Inuyasha stirred. What was that? One of the women was in heat. He looked down at Kagome. The scent wasn't coming from her, so it had to be Sango. He raised an eyebrow and jumped out of the tree, landing by Miroku. The monk in question started. “Inuyasha, what--?” Inuyasha leant down and hissed something in his ear. “She's in heat, monk. Don't hurt her.” Miroku raised his eyebrows in a quizzical expression. Inuyasha cast a significant glance at Sango. Miroku followed the hanyou's gaze and understood. He nodded to Inuyasha, who walked off and jumped back into his tree.
Miroku sighed. `What is he so worried for? It's not like I'd ever—` His train of thought was interrupted when Sango shifted in his arms. He looked down and his blue eyes met an open pair of mocha ones. A smile crossed his lips. “You're awake, huh?” Sango grinned. “Seems like it.” Both of them laughed. An annoyed hanyou clamped his ears down. This caused both of them to laugh harder.
Later in the day, Miroku and Sango fell a bit behind. Kirara knew that Miroku had something he wanted to say to Sango, so she dropped back. A confused Inuyasha saw this and stopped. Kagome poked him. “Let them talk for a bit.” She whispered. She, too, had noticed that her two friends had wanted to talk in private. Miroku slid off Kirara, and Sango followed suit. Kirara transformed and went over to Kagome, the miko being the only one whom was allowed to hold her besides Sango. The tajiya walked off a ways with Miroku. Finally, he turned to face her, after pulling something out of his robes (A/n: …I know it's his monk outfit, but I don't remember what it is called). Sango glanced suspiciously at the something, and then looked back to Miroku. Miroku took her hand and went down on one knee. At first, Sango thought he might be feeling ill, but as soon as she saw what he had in his other hand, she thought she might be. It was a ring. A gorgeous diamond engagement ring. Miroku smiled at her expression of sheer delight. He cleared his throat softly. “Sango…will you marry me?” Sango was speechless for a moment. Then her eyes filled with tears of joy. “Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes!!” His smile widened as she threw her arms around him.
 
 
 
Meanwhile, Inuyasha was getting up his nerve to ask Kagome a question of his own. “Kagome?” She looked up from where she was playing with Kirara. “Yes?” He gulped. “I want to ask you something too…” She stood up and walked closer to him. “ Alright, shoot.” He didn't even bother asking, knowing it was an expression from her era. “Kagome, I wanted to ask you if, well…” She smiled. “Keep going.” He started turning red. “Would you…be my mate?” He anxiously awaited her reaction, and, hopefully, her answer. Kagome's eyes grew very wide. Shippou, not knowing about this sort of thing yet, piped up. “Mom? What's a mate?” Now it was Kagome's turn to blush. “I'll explain it when you're older.” She said quickly. She turned to Inuyasha. “Yes, I will.” He grinned and kissed her, a kiss that she returned.
 
 
The red haired vixen glared at her mate. “It's not like you have anything better to do right now, Kouga!” The black-haired wolf, Kouga, sighed impatiently. “Why should I make peace with that stinking mutt?” He asked. Ayame growled, her green eyes narrowing. “Kagome and I are friends, so the least you and Inuyasha can do is to be civil!” Kouga snorted. “Yeah, right. The mutt probably doesn't even know what that word means. Ayame growled again. “And neither do you. So I'm going to teach you. First lesson, make peace with Inuyasha.” Kouga sighed. “You're not going to stop until I do it, are you?” Ayame smirked. “Nope.” Kouga growled in defeat. “I can't believe you, you little….” Ayame raised an eyebrow, challenging him to continue. “….little……ah, forget it…” He said angrily. She laughed, knowing she'd won this round. “So, you'll do it?” Kouga glared. “Only because you're making me.” He kissed her gently, causing her to smile.
 
 
Kagura sniffled. This was the first time she had been able to cry, and it was somewhat refreshing. She was curled up, lying against the wall. Naraku's words rang out in her mind. Kagura cringed. `What if he doesn't care?' She couldn't stand the thought. Suddenly, she felt something. A presence. She looked up, wiping her eyes. She let out a startled gasp.
Sesshoumaru told Miori to stay where she was, and hurried off. Miori grumbled. Jaken tried to follow the inuyoukai, but got tripped by Miori. Sesshoumaru jumped onto a window ledge, and what he saw shocked him. It was Kagura. Blood stained her kimono, and tears stained her face. Her hair was a mess, half up and half down. She was disheveled, and she lay crumpled in a sobbing heap against the far wall. Sesshoumaru jumped off the window ledge and into the room. As he approached her, he could sense her fear and pain. Her wall that she had so carefully built inside to hide her emotions was in ruins.
Kagura was almost afraid of how he would react to her state. She had to pinch herself when he wordlessly picked her up, bridal style, and took her back to where Miori waited.
When Miori saw Kagura's pathetic appearance, she rushed over. “My Lord, she needs medical attention.” Sesshoumaru nodded and quickly found a clearing far away from Naraku's castle. Miori set about checking Kagura for injuries of any sort. Finding none, she questioned Kagura as to the source of the blood on her kimono. One look into Kagura's eyes answered all of the girl's questions. “You poor thing…” Miori said, her voice hushed. Kagura was unused to such pity, much less from a mortal girl.
Rin watched in awe as the older girl helped Kagura clean up. The child started when Miori spoke to her. “Rin, would you fetch my bag, please?” Rin nodded and did as she was told. Miori pulled from its depths, a fresh kimono. She helped Kagura change into it, and tied the obi. The kimono was a pure white, with light blue flower patterns. Seemingly out of nowhere, the teen pulled a beautiful white comb. Putting up her own hair, Kagura permitted Miori to secure it with the comb.
Sesshoumaru stood guard, watching for Naraku. He felt a tap on his shoulder, and turned to look. It was Kagura, and, in Sesshoumaru's opinion, he had never seen a more gorgeous demoness. He took one of her delicate hands in his own, causing her to gasp. He slowly slid his other arm around her slim waist. Their eyes met and their gazes locked. It was then that she noticed that the distance between them was closing. Time stood still in that one moment that their lips met for a kiss.