InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade ❯ Fade ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Summary: And I will fade… Kikyou's thoughts on her un-life.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. That belongs to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. Someday, when I'm filthy rich, maybe I can buy it. Seeing as how I'm not filthy rich, well… There we go!
 
Fade: A One-Shot
 
I sit and watch my soul-stealers swirl above my head. I want to laugh, but I'm not sure I remember how. Ironic, isn't it? That the miko who once hated youkai is forced to rely on them for her very existence.
 
I hesitate to call this thing a life. It isn't. Life doesn't hurt so much - life isn't to numbing. My life is no longer mine - it belongs to a simpering little girl.
 
What does he see in her? She is cheap, an imitation of me. And she is weak, weaker than I. So why does he always leave me? What can she offer him?
 
Acceptance. She can offer him what I couldn't - can't. Her love. Unconditional, irrevocable love. “No!” The shout rings throughout the clearing, and I suddenly realize it comes from me.
 
I shut my mouth, trying to regain control and realizing the truth. I don't even want him anymore. I don't want anything from him. In fact, I think, numbness creeping throughout me, I don't want to ever see him again.
 
I know that in a few hours, I will have forgotten this revelation. In a few hours, I will be consumed with my hatred for him. My fragment of a soul is not enough to keep the evil at bay.
 
I am fading. Quickly, I fade. Until nothing is left but a shell of myself, filled to the brim with resentment, jealousy, and anger.
 
I stand and move on, my soul-stealers trailing.
 
Perhaps she is better for him. I do not know. As the last bits of my soul unhook from this clay container, I am set free.
 
I hang in the air for a moment, watching as the clay body that bears my name and face continues on, filled with her anger. I refuse to think that it is part of me. I will fade, and the memory of me will fade.
 
For people will remember not me, but my reincarnation. People will not remember me when they hear the name Kikyou, but that clay canister. And it will be Kagome and Inuyasha that history remembers.
 
Not me.