InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Failure of a Priestess ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
Failure of a Priestess
 
“Too slow,” the demon said as the beads of subjugation went flying past his head.
 
The young priestess aimed an arrow at him. “Inuyasha's Forest is forbidden! What are ye doing here?”
 
He stared up at the Goshinboku, and the priestess fumed that he dared disregard her. “So the rumors are true,” he said. “The whelp got sealed to a tree several years ago. However”—his eyes bore into her—“I doubt you are the priestess who did it.”
 
The bow flinched in her hands. “What makes ye say that?”
 
“Your spiritual powers are far too weak. If you don't practice,” he said, raising a poisonous claw, “You'll lose the rest of your sight along with your looks.” She fired the arrow, but he was already beside her. She felt his hot breath in her ear as his words scorched her. “Pathetic. You're not even worth the kill.” And he left as suddenly and mysteriously as he had appeared.
 
Kaede fell to her knees, trembling. Never before had she encountered such a powerful demon, or felt so inadequate. She stared up at the lifeless form of the despicable hanyou who had killed her sister, and swore: “I will become a worthy replacement, Kikyo. I promise.”
 
***
 
It was decades later when Sesshomaru saw Inuyasha again. The purple beads around his neck caught Sesshomaru's eye, and he remembered the beautiful woman who had once failed to cast them on him. A small smirk came to his face.
 
Well done, priestess.