InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytales Do Come True ❯ New Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Ello, folks! Welcome to chapter 2 of Fairytales Do Come True. I have good news and bad news. The bad news is: I left the open notebook containing this story by an open window during a supremely heavy thunderstorm. The good news is: my younger sister, who loves this story as much as I do, was in the room and managed to save the notebook before any of the pages became soaked beyond recognition.
 
I would like to dedicate this chapter to Kitsune Lizzie, who has declared this story to be “the coolest AU I've read!” Also, I forgot to mention in the first chapter that the entire story is dedicated to my friend Steph, who reads all of my fanfiction then asks for more.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co. They belong to the wonderful Rumiko Takahashi
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Inuyasha parked his motorcycle in front of the small, two-bedroom house where he lived. He walked through the door and shouted, “I'm home!” It was a habit of his; no one but he lived in this house. But, this day, someone answered his call.
 
“Obviously!”
 
The hanyou cursed under his breath. The voice was awfully familiar. He walked into the small kitchen and was disappointed, but not surprised, to see Kikyo leaning against the counter by the automatic dishwasher.
 
“There's something I'd really like to tell you,” he said coldly. “But to the author's dislike of swear words, I can't. Instead, I have to say you need to get out of here before I really get mad.”
 
“Aww, Inuyasha, you know you love me,” Kikyo told him.
 
“Yeah, that's the problem. I thought I did. Then, you tricked me into coming to your funeral so that you could break up with me! What's up with that!?!?”
 
Kikyo sighed, her lightheartedness gone. “I suppose you do deserve an explanation. I didn't ask you to come to my funeral so that I could `break up' with you. I just wanted you to be there. Then, I died and found out that I had to take care of you, Kagome, and the Shikon Jewel before I could rest in peace. Now, there's…”
 
“And what about that wench?” Inuyasha interrupted. “You want me to baby-sit her. She seems perfectly capable of doing that herself.” To some degree, he thought.
 
“I was getting to that, and don't call her wench,” Kikyo reprimanded. “I knew before I died that Kagome would become the new guardian of the Shikon no Tama. Many demons are going to chase after it. While Kagome is a powerful miko, she still needs some….well, let's just say she could use some help.”
 
“I'm not sure I can do that. I don't want to get missed in with any more mikos.”
 
Kikyo put on her pouting face. “Please, Inuyasha, do it for me? Please??”
 
“No,” he said, refusing to look at her.
 
“Fine,” she said. “I suppose I should tell you then that I didn't die in and accident.”
 
“What!?!?” Now she had his full attention.
 
“Well, someone apparently wants the Shikon Jewel so much that they're willing to kill people for it. Kagome, as the guardian of the Jewel, could very well be in danger of loosing her life.”
 
“Does she know this?”
 
“She knows I was killed in a hit-and-run. I don't know how much she's figured out on her own.”
 
Great, Inuyasha thought. If I don't keep an eye on this girl and she's killed by some demon who's trying to get the jewel, I'm gonna feel guilty. I have no choice now. “Fine,” he said. “I'll do it.”
 
Kikyo grinned. “Thanks,” she said. “Now, I won't get chewed out by the higher-ups.”
 
“Who are the higher-ups?” Inuyasha tried to ask, but she had already disappeared.
 
“You really like disappearing at the most inconvenient times,” he muttered. He went to his small living room, turned on the TV, and started channel surfing. About a half-hour later, his phone rang.
 
“Oh, hey Fluffy,” he said, after looking at the caller-id.
 
“I thought I told you not to call me that,” a cold voice answered. “Fluffy is not my name. Sesshomaru, on the other hand, is.”
 
“Yeah, well, I'm your little brother; I can call you anything I want.”
 
“If you call me Fluffy again, I will cut your monthly allowance in half.”
 
“Fine, be that way. So, why did you call? I'm sure it wasn't so I could call you names.”
 
“Your intellect is astonishing.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, get on with it.”
 
“Fine. There are two things I thought you should know. First of all, Kikyo's family has hired me to investigate her death.”
 
“Oh, really? Are you that good of a lawyer? I never knew.”
 
“For your information, I am the top independent lawyer in Tokyo,” Sesshomaru said snippily. As for the other piece of information, you have been expelled from school.”
 
“What!?!?” Inuyasha seemed to be using that word quite a lot today.
 
“They said your fight with Hiten was the last straw.”
 
“It wasn't that big of a fight! I only gave him a black eye…..and a broken nose…..and knocked out a few of his teeth…..but he started it!”
 
“I'm sure,” his older brother said dryly. “Thankfully, I have managed to enroll you in a different school. However…”
 
“What's the catch?”
 
“IF you get in more than three fights in the first month you are automatically expelled.”
 
“Well, (insert your choice of swear word here).”
 
“I share your sentiment. I do not believe you can make it, especially since…”
 
“Since what?'
 
“Especially since the only school I could find that would accept you after looking at your record is the same one Koga attends.”
 
 
Kagome's alarm woke her up at precisely 6 A.M. Monday morning. She rolled out of bed with a groan and headed for her closet. She pulled out her uniform and got changed. “I hate my uniform,” she muttered.
 
She finally woke up enough to walk down the stairs so she could eat her breakfast. She ate quickly, and then began the two-mile walk to school.
 
“Hey Kagome,” he best friend Sango said when they met up about half-way there.
 
“Hey Sango,” Kagome replied, finally all the way awake. “How was your weekend?”
 
“Miroku tried to grope me again,” Sango told her friend.
“No surprises there. Speaking of Miroku, where is he?”
 
“Um, I'm not sure. Hey, I heard about your third cousin and the whole Shikon Jewel thing. I'm really sorry.”
 
“It's ok. There's nothing you could have done.”
 
“Hey ladies. Sorry I'm late.” Miroku, a perverted monk-in-training and Kagome and Sango's good friend, had finally caught up with them.”
 
“About time. Where were you?” Sango asked.
 
“I was preparing new wards for Kagome's shrine. It's going to need much more protection now that she's protecting the jewel. They're not quite finished, so I'll come over and drop them off sometime after school.”
 
“Thanks, Miroku, you're the best.” Kagome stopped to give her friend a hug. His hand started inching southwards when he was hit by Sango's book bag.
 
“PERVERT!” she yelled.
 
“I'm sorry, I'm sorry!” he said as Sango continued to whack him.
 
“Hey look, we're here,” Kagome said, much to Miroku's relief. And indeed, the group of friends was right in front of their school building. They followed the other students through the front doors, through the hallways, and into their homeroom. Also present were Hojo, a sweet naïve boy with a crush on Kagome, and Koga, the track star and a wolf demon who kept trying to claim Kagome as his women. All of them were in their senior year and preparing to graduate in the spring.
 
“Students,” the teacher said as soon as they all settled into their seats. “A new student will be joining us today.” At that precise moment, in walked a tall young man with long white hair. Kagome's breath caught in her throat. It was Inuyasha, the hanyou Kikyo had asked her to watch over, and the puppy-dog ears she had caught a mere glimpse of stood out in their full glory.
 
“Perfect timing,” the teacher said. “Class, this is Inuyasha Takahashi. He will be joining us for the remainder of the school year and graduating with us in the spring.”
 
The hanyou's eyes roamed the classroom. They passed over Miroku, glared at Koga, and finally settled on Kagome. She stared right back at him, and once again Inuyasha was struck by her resemblance to Kikyo.
 
The teacher noticed where Inuyasha was looking and smiled. “Since you are so interested in her,” she said. “Miss Higurashi will be your guide. Would that be all right, Miss Higurashi?”
 
“Yes, it would be,” Kagome answered. Inside, she was dancing with joy. Now, she could learn more about her mysterious hanyou!
 
Inuyasha was directed to sit at the empty desk in between Kagome and Hojo. As he passed, he slipped her a note. She opened it, and scowled. The note read, is it safe? She nodded at the hanyou, her eyes cool, and placed a hand on her chest; she was wearing the jewel as a necklace.
 
Inwardly, he smiled with relief. Good; she wasn't stupid enough to leave it at home while she went to school. He was also delighted that he would have a chance to observe Kagome more; despite his reluctance to protect her, she still fascinated him.
 
The bell finally rang, signaling time for the next class, and Kagome and Inuyasha stood up. “Good to see you again,” Kagome said warmly.
 
“Feh,” was the predictable reply.
 
“Come on; we've got to get you to your next class.” The rest of the day pasted without incidence. However, the moment they exited the school building…
 
“So, what are you doing here, dog-turd?”
 
Inuyasha immediately turned away from the interesting conversation he'd been having with Kagome and her friends to growl at the offending speaker. It was Koga, Inuyasha's long-time rival.
 
“For your information, stinking wolf,” the hanyou growled. “I go to school here now.”
 
The wolf-demon yawned and scratched his ear. “So, you actually go to school? I thought you spent your days terrorizing helpless children.”
 
Kagome could see a vein twitching in Inuyasha's head, and she quickly stepped between the two. “Koga, it's really sweet of you to stop and say hi to Inuyasha, but he and I really need to go.”
 
Koga immediately turned his attention to her. “My dear Kagome, is this mutt bothering you? You can come with me instead.”
 
“Koga, that's really nice of you, but we really have to go,” Kagome said as she dragged Inuyasha away. Miroku and Sango, forgotten in the hubbub, trotted quietly after them.
 
As soon as they were out of Koga's earshot, Kagome began to glare at Inuyasha. “Whatever you do,” she said. “Don't you dare get in a fight with Koga.”
 
“What?” he said defensively. “I wouldn't loose to a scrawny wolf like him. I haven't yet.”
 
“What do you mean?” Miroku asked curiously.
 
Inuyasha puffed out his chest. “The wolf-turd and I have had many…informal competitions. He's lost every time.”
 
Sango smirked. “I would like to see that one of these days. Koga needs to be taken down a peg or two or ten. His egos so big, he thinks he's good enough for Kagome.” The slayer put a protective arm around her friend. “There are few men in this world who are good enough for her.”
 
“And Inuyasha here is one of them!” Miroku joked. The others stared at him. “Just kidding,” he added quickly.
 
“Well, this is where we leave,” Sango said after a few minutes. She and Miroku turned down a side street that led to their homes. Inuyasha and Kagome continued on.
 
“Is your home this way?” Kagome wonder out loud.
 
“Is that any of your business, wench?” Inuyasha snapped.
 
“Sorry. I was just curious as to why you were walking with me.”
 
“If you must know, someone asked me to watch over you and the jewel.”
 
“Really? Who?”
 
“Feh.”
 
“Feh is a name?”
 
“No; it's me not wanting to tell you!”
 
“Well then, fine!”
 
The two lapsed into silence. When they reached the shrine, Kagome stomped up the stairs without saying good-bye to the hanyou that had walked her home. After she dropped off her textbooks in her bedroom, she changed into something more comfortable and headed out to the archery range.
 
 
After Kagome left, Inuyasha began examining the exterior of the shrine. He wanted to know what kind of defenses there were. He was impressed with their wards. The wards were not against youkai, but against any creature or person coming in with an evil intent. So long as the jewel was in the shrine, it was safe. Perhaps he should tell Kagome to leave it home while she went to school. It might actually be safer. Then again, it would be harder to find a moving target.
 
He was about to leave when he heard Kagome come out of her house. Curious, he followed. He watched her go into a shed, then come out with a bow and a full quiver. He followed her to a small, open field with three large targets. He watched as she strung her bow, nocked and arrow, and lifted it. To his surprise, she pointed it directly at him.
 
“I know you're there, demon,” Kagome said in a clear voice. “Why don't you come out where I can see you?”
 
 
Kagome could sense the demonic aura the moment she left the weapons shed. She walked over to the archery field, pretending she didn't notice a thing. She nocked and arrow, but instead of facing the target, she turned and aimed in the direction of the some-what familiar aura.
 
“I know you're there, demon,” she said in a clear voice. “Why don't you come out where I can see you?”
 
There was a rustling in the trees, but know demon appeared. Instead, Kagome felt the aura quickly fade away. “I guess he was too scared to confront me,” she said to herself, and began practicing her archery.
 
In Kagome's personal opinion, she didn't do very well. Many of her arrows landed in the outer bull's eye. One was a full five inches from the center. Her closest arrow was a good quarter-inch away from dead-center when her mother came out with a plate of Kagome's favorite double chocolate-chip cookies, still hot from the oven.
 
“How's it going?” Mrs. Higurashi asked.
 
“Not so well,” Kagome admitted as she took a cookie off the plate.
 
“Well, Kagome, it's natural for you to be feeling overwhelmed. You've just been asked to protect the most powerful spiritual object currently in existence. It's a great responsibility.”
 
“I feel like I should be honored that they chose to trust me, a seventeen-year-old girl, with the jewel, but I'm not. I just feel small and insignificant.”
 
“Like I said, it's just natural. You'll get used to it eventually.” Mrs. Higurashi kissed her daughter on the head. “Now, I'd better bring Sota these cookies before they cool down too much.” Kagome managed to grab another cookie right as her mother left, and then began to ponder what her mother had said. Perhaps she was letting her feelings overly influence her aim.
 
With that thought in mind, Kagome placed her bow on the ground with her quiver, and then sat down next to it. She closed her eyes and began to meditate in the way her grandfather taught her. She let herself be enveloped in a cocoon of serenity. Slowly, but surely, Kagome felt her anxiety be stripped away.
 
After a half-hour had passed, she opened her eyes and stood up again. She started practicing once more and found that her arrows went much closer to the mark then they did before. Finally, she finished. She put away her bow and quiver in the shed, and walked out to find Miroku on the steps.
 
“Hello, Kagome,” Miroku said merrily. “I have your new wards.”
 
“Thanks, Miroku,” Kagome said, the relief evident in her voice. “I had an unexpected visitor today, and I'm not even sure who it was.”
 
“Well, it's a good thing I came by. Let's go inside and I'll show you what I made.”
 
Kagome led him inside the house to the kitchen. There, they sat down at the table. As she sat down, Kagome once again sensed that familiar demonic aura. This time, she figured out who it was.
 
“Inuyasha, just come inside,” she said, knowing that he could hear her with his demon powers. Surprisingly, he actually listed and came to sit at the kitchen table with Kagome and Miroku.
 
“So, I'll show you what I have here. I have some stronger versions of the wards you already have in place. Those should keep most of the prowlers out. I also have some wards that you'll need to do some fussing with; they're ones that you set to keep out a specific person or type of demon. Those will keep out the smaller, more annoying demons.”
 
He leaned closer, so that only Kagome and Inuyasha could hear him. “I also have a special ward. This one goes on whatever you want to keep the jewel in. Once you place the ward, only you can open the container.”
 
“Thank you so much, Miroku,” Kagome said earnestly. “These will help me sleep at night.”
 
“Glad to be of service,” the monk said as he stood and bowed. “I'll just go put these in place and then I'll be on my way.” He left.
 
Kagome finally turned and looked at Inuyasha. “Why have you been following me?” she asked.
 
“Like I said earlier, cause someone asked me to!”
 
“Why won't you tell me who it is?”
 
“One, cause you probably won't believe me. Two, cause she has some right for privacy!”
 
“She?” Kagome asked curiously.
 
“Feh. That don't mean anything.”
 
“Oh, I think it does. They very fact that you're denying it means that it does have some importance. Since you've told me that much, will you tell me who it is?”
 
“No!”
 
“Fine! Leave!” Kagome yelled, pointing at the door.
 
“Why, wench?” How am I supposed to protect you if I can't keep an eye on you?”
 
“Well, maybe I don't want you're protection! Ever think of that?”
 
“Well, it doesn't matter if you want it or not! You've got one of the most powerful spiritual talismans ever to exist and there are people out there who would kill to have it. I'm not going to let what happened to Kikyo happen to you!”
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked, loosing her steam.
 
“Kikyo was killed because someone after the jewel wanted her out of the way,” Inuyasha explained.
 
“But who could have done such a thing?”
 
“I don't know, but I'll find out. I personally know the lawyer in charge of the case.”
 
“Inuyasha, do you promise you're telling the truth?”
 
“What are you calling me, wench? A liar?” he scoffed.
 
“I think that's the closest I'll get to a yes. Look, I guess you can watch over me. Just…don't hover, ok?”
 
“Me? Hover? You won't even know I'm there.”
 
“Sure, cause I'm such a terrible miko that I won't ever sense your aura.”
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha ran out of the house before Kagome could stop him or continue the argument.
 
“He needs to find a different word then `feh,'” she muttered as she headed to her room to do her homework.
 
“Hello, Kagome,” Kikyo said to her as the younger girl entered.
 
“Hello, Kikyo,” she said wearily. “Anything in particular you wish to tell me, or are you just here to make sure I haven't killed myself?”
 
“Both,” Kikyo said cheerfully. “There are actually two things for today.”
 
“Let me know the more important one first.”
 
“Ok. It's been decided that you should take sword lessons in case you end up in a situation where you can't use your bow.”
 
“That's not too bad,” Kagome said. “Who should I take them from?”
 
“Well…um…”
 
“Come on, spit it out.”
 
“Inuyasha."
 
 
And chapter two ends with a semi-cliffy! Yippee! Anyways, here's and FYI for any of you who have not visited my profile page: I am looking for a beta reader for this story. Anyone interested should email me at ghostwriter35@yahoo.com.
 
As always, please review! (Non-reviews get squirted with cheese. Company policy. For more information, please visit the fanfiction.net profile of Jedi Greenleaf.)