InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytales Do Come True ❯ Jealousy ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yay! I'm back! Welcome to the fourth chapter of Fairytales Do Come True. In this chapter are Inu/Kag fluff and as well as the first few hints of the plot. (Yes, there is a plot; it's just been hidden until this chapter. Unfortunately for you, you have to dig to find it.)
 
So, I know you're all anxious to get to the story, so here's the dedication, disclaimer, and then the chapter itself! (A longer author's note follows).
 
Dedication: Seeing as I've had few reviewers, I've decided to dedicate this chapter to my stuffed bunny, Buttercup! Thanks for being there for me through all the writing process and putting up with my unhappiness whenever it came.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The next morning, Inuyasha met Kagome at the foot of the stairway that led up to her shrine.
 
“What are you doing here?” she snapped.
 
“Well, now that I know you go to my new school, I decided that I'm going to walk you there and back everyday.”
 
“No, you're not.”
 
“Yes, I am.”
 
“Inuyasha, you don't have to do this. I meet Sango, and oftentimes Miroku as well, half-way to school every morning.” She began walking. The inu-hanyou caught up with her and started talking again.”
 
“There's still the half you walk alone. Besides, I don't think Sango and Miroku could do a very good job of protecting you.”
 
Kagome laughed. “Inuyasha, where was your head yesterday? Didn't you notice that it was Miroku giving me the wards? And Sango comes from a family of professional demon slayers. Armed and working together they can protect me as well as if not better then you could.”
 
“Sure,” he scoffed. “Speaking of defense, that reminds me. Your sword lessons start today, after school.”
 
Kagome paled visibly. “Today? But…but I'm not ready!”
 
Inuyasha smirked. “The sooner we start, the better. Sesshomaru says he doesn't know when Naraku will attack.”
 
“Naraku? Who's Naraku?” Miroku asked as he and Sango joined the miko and hanyou.
 
Inuyasha quickly told the others what Sesshomaru had told him, omitting the part about the brothers' uncle.
 
“So, Sesshomaru Takahashi, the famous lawyer, is Inuyasha's older brother,” Miroku mused. “Maybe he can help us in protecting the Jewel.”
 
“We should really worry more about Kagome,” Sango argued. “A jewel cannot be killed, but its protector can.”
 
“Way to be optimistic, Sango,” the jewel's protector muttered. “Don't worry about me. Inuyasha's going to give me sword lessons.” She said in a louder tone.
 
The hanyou nodded. “I'm starting to think I should give you martial arts lessons, too. You need all the protection and self-defense you can get.”
 
“Anything to spend more time around the lovely Kagome,” Miroku teased. Both Kagome and Inuyasha turned bright red and began protesting.
 
“N-no, it's not like it at all!”
 
“What the ^bleep^ are you talking about?”
 
Sango smirked and whispered something to Miroku. He nodded back sagely. “What are you whispering about? Huh? Huh?” Inuyasha demanded.
 
The two others merely giggled.
 
Before much longer, the foursome found themselves once again at the torture-chamber known as school. Unfortunately for Kagome, one of their fellow classmates was there at the same time as them.
 
“Hey, Kagome!” Hojo shouted as he jogged over to her.
 
“Oh, hello, Hojo,” Kagome replied without much enthusiasm.
 
“I have another present for you,” he said happily as he handed over a wrapped package.
 
“Feh. Who're you?” Inuyasha said, butting into the conversation.
 
“Oh, you're the new kid, right?” Hojo asked. “Hi, I'm Hojo!”
 
“Feh,” Inuyasha repeated. “What do you think you're doing, giving Kagome gifts?”
 
“Oh, I do it all the time,” Hojo said cheerily. “She likes them!”
 
Inuyasha turned to look at the girl they were discussing. She shook her head and silently mouthed, “No.”
 
“Well, that's settled then,” Inuyasha said. He grabbed Kagome's arm and began pulling her into the school. Forgotten once more, Miroku and Sango followed.
 
Unfortunately once more, Koga spotted the quartet marching through the classroom door. “Oi, mutt!” he shouted. “What're you doing with my Kagome?”
 
Your Kagome? What makes you think she belongs to you, scrawny wolf?” the `mutt' countered.
 
“Don't listen to the dog-boy, Kagome. He has no idea what he's talking about,” Koga said as he dodged Inuyasha and held the miko's hands.
 
“Um, Koga, it's very nice of you to be so protective, but Inuyasha and I get along fine,” Kagome stuttered, not wanting to be drawn into the argument.
 
“But you shouldn't be left alone with him, especially since you're my woman,” Koga said. “I don't want anything to happen to ruin your reputation.”
 
“Hey!” Inuyasha shouted.
 
“It's ok, Koga,” Kagome said as she pulled her hands away from his. “Inuyasha wouldn't do anything like that with me.” She snuck a look at the hanyou, but his expression, one of extreme dislike, didn't change. Miroku noticed her unhappiness at the thought, but didn't say anything.
 
“Hmph. I don't trust that stinky mutt any farther than I can throw him.”
 
“That's fine with me, since I don't trust that stupid wolf either,” Inuyasha muttered to Miroku and Sango.
 
Koga glared daggers at the offending hanyou. Then, he turned back to Kagome and said, “Since I can't talk to you with this pup here, how about you and I go to a movie this weekend?”
 
“Um, I'd love to,” Kagome said, not sure of a polite way to turn him down.
 
“Feh, wench, you can't go this weekend. You've got sword lessons, remember?” Inuyasha interrupted once more.
 
“Oh, I can, too!” Kagome shouted, turning away from Koga and rounding on Inuyasha.
 
“You can't skip your lessons! What would you do if some demon came at you and all you could do was stutter at him?”
 
“Stutter? I don't stutter!” Kagome yelled, outraged. “And I don't see how learning to use a sword will help me! What am I supposed to do, start carrying a sword with me to school?”
 
“No, but it will help build up your muscles!”
 
“I've already got muscles!”
 
“Feh. You're just as weak as any other human. Without me there, you'd be finished in a half-second.”
 
Most fortunately for the hanyou, the bell rang and all the students went to their seats.
 
A few minutes after the lesson, a note found its way to Kagome. We're not finished with this, it read. She crumpled it up and threw it away.
 
That day, as Kagome headed to lunch, she noticed Inuyasha sitting with Miroku and Sango. She immediately veered to a table where some of her other friends, namely, Yuka, Eri, and Ayame, were located.
 
“What's up with the new kid?” Eri asked. “He keeps looking over here. It's like he wants to get up, but Miroku and Sango won't let him.”
 
“Thank goodness,” Kagome muttered.
 
At the end of the day, Kagome, forgetting her promise to Kikyo never to go anywhere alone, walked right out of school and did not wait for any of her friends. Miroku and Sango recognized the mood she was in and tactfully stayed a few feet behind so that they did not accidentally incur her wrath. Inuyasha, however, was not as aware or tactful as his other friends and immediately ran ahead to catch up with the teenage miko.
 
“And where do you think you're going?” he asked. She didn't answer, but instead sped up. He increased his speed to keep pace with her. “Look, you can't walk home alone while carrying that Jewel. Anyone could attack you and take it by force.”
 
“Is that all you're worried about, the Jewel?!” Kagome yelled. Apparently, she was still mad at him for what he had said earlier that day, and, Inuyasha not being the most sensitive of people, his words had been the last straw. “Aren't you worried at all about what might happen to me!?!? It sure seemed like it earlier, but now it seems all you care about is THAT. STUPID. JEWEL! Just like everyone else!”
 
He could smell the salt from the tears that began to well up in her eyes. Something happened then. He felt an urge, an urge to comfort her, to cuddle her close and kiss away her tears. He pushed it back, knowing a beautiful girl like her could never love a hanyou like him. Instead, he reached out awkwardly with his hand, intending to touch her shoulder. She pushed his hand away and ran. Years of playing tag with Sango and walking up the shrine's steps gave her endurance; the pain in her heart gave her speed.
 
He stood dumbfounded for a full minute, not quite sure what had happened.
 
“Chase after her!” said a familiar voice in his ear. Inuyasha turned to see Kikyo standing behind him.
 
“How did you…?”
 
“Does it really matter?” Kikyo interrupted. “Right now, what you need to do most is catch up with Kagome.”
 
He nodded, and poured on the speed. Despite his hanyou swiftness, he didn't catch up with Kagome until he reached the base of the shrine steps. There she stood, trying to catch her breath after her mile-long sprint. Not stopping, he swept her up bridal-style and carried her to the base of the Goshinboku at the top of the stairs. There he sat, with her still in his arms. She looked up at him, her eyes filled with tears, but made no move to escape. At the moment, she was too tired to move.
 
“Why did you run from me?” Inuyasha asked softly.
 
“I was afraid,” Kagome said softly. He chuckled, and the sound vibrated through her.
 
“Afraid of what? Of me?” he joked, but they both knew that beneath the surface, he was dead serious.
 
“I'm afraid of what I feel, and I'm afraid that you might not feel the same way,” she said. Internally, he smacked himself on the head. What was it she had said to Koga?
 
Flashback
 
“It's ok, Koga,” Kagome said as she pulled her hands away from his. “Inuyasha wouldn't do anything like that with me.” She snuck a look at the hanyou, but his expression, one of extreme dislike, didn't change. Miroku noticed her unhappiness at the thought, but didn't say anything.
 
End Flashback
 
What a mess he had gotten himself into. Why couldn't he be more perceptive, like Mikoku? That monk, pervert though he may be, could sense a girl's feelings from a mile away. Right now, Inuyasha was just going to have to take Sesshomaru's advice and go with the flow.
 
“Is there more to it?” Inuyasha asked softly. She nodded.
 
“It feels like I've known you for more then a few days,” Kagome said softly. “It's like we grew up together. When we talk, your expressions, what you say, how you say it, it all seems so familiar, like we've lived a lifetime together.”
 
How did her words sound like she was reading his mind? How could she say exactly what he was feeling in his heart?
 
“It…It's like that for me, too,” the hanyou added. “When you started crying, I felt….something. It's like the exact same thing has happened again and again, and again and again I've reacted the same way.”
 
“It's almost like…a fairytale,” Kagome said.
 
“Feh. Everyone knows fairytales don't come true,” Inuyasha said.
 
“Are you so sure?” she asked.
 
“Keh. Fairytales are just stories people tell to make themselves happy. No one ever gets a happy ending in real life,” he said bitterly. “I should know.”
 
“Is this about Kikyo?” Kagome asked, the bitterness also present in her voice. “Do you still love her, even though she's died and can never come back to you?”
 
He turned his head away. “I…I'm not sure. She's changed. Before, she was still all cheery, but she had her moments when we were….feh, why am I telling you this? All you need to know is that Kikyo and I can never be together like we were before she died.”
 
“I want to help you,” Kagome said suddenly. “If you ever need to talk, I want to be the one who listens. Despite the way you talk, I can tell Kikyo's death left scars on you. Let me help you heal.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her once more. “Perhaps ours will be the fairytale that does come true,” he whispered quietly.
 
“Did you say something?” Kagome asked.
 
“Oh, um, no,” Inuyasha said. “I was just thinking that maybe Kikyo knew what she was doing when she asked me to protect……..^bleepbleepbleepbleepbleep!^”
 
Kagome chuckled, and with that chuckle her tears tried. “Don't worry, I already know. Kikyo told me last night.”
 
“Has she been coming to visit you, too?” he asked.
 
“Yeah, and I knew she's been coming to visit you. Even if she hadn't told me, the way you've been talking makes it obvious.”
 
“I guess we've been manipulated,” Inuyasha whispered to her.
 
“If this is manipulation, I don't mind a bit,” Kagome whispered back.
 
“And it's working.” The hanyou shook his head. “This morning, when that wolf asked you out…anyway, we never finished our argument. There's no way I'm letting you go on a date with him.”
 
“You're my bodyguard, not my boss,” Kagome argued. She saw the smirk on his face, and gulped. That mischievous smile scared her more then any glare of his could.
 
“I am indeed your bodyguard,” he said. “And as your bodyguard, it would be very irresponsible of me to let you go on a date without anyone to protect you.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Fine, I'll cancel.”
 
Inuyasha continued to smirk. “You don't have to cancel your date, just your date with Koga.”
 
She looked at him curiously. “Are you asking me out?”
 
He smiled. “How does dinner and a movie sound?”
 
She smiled back. “Wonderful, but maybe we should start our sword lessons before Mama comes out and wonders why I'm sitting on the lap of a boy she doesn't know?”
 
“We can fix that.”
 
“What, the sword lesson part or the strange boy part?”
 
“Both. How about you take me in and introduce you to your mother?”
 
Kagome gulped, and Inuyasha smirked. “Come on, I'm sure you need to give your mother a good reason for why I'm here.” He pushed his point farther by making her get off his lap. She retaliated by pulling him up. Even once he was up, she didn't let go of his hand.
 
“Come on, Kagome, let's go meet the mother.”
 
She looked at him oddly, than smiled.
 
“What is it?” he asked.
 
“That's the first time you've called me by my name,” Kagome said wonderingly.
 
“Feh,” he said. “Don't get used to it.”
 
“But what if I already am?”
 
Unbeknownst to the pair, Kikyo and Kaede were watching over them.
 
“They will be an excellent couple, don't you think?” Kikyo asked her aunt.
 
“Yes, but they must learn to trust each other more then they already do,” Kaede warned. “It could take years.”
 
“I wish we had the time,” Kikyo sighed. “If only Naraku weren't so impatient. I can't see them being ready by graduation.”
 
“Kikyo, ye must get the pair to trust each other. The fate of the world rests in ye's hands.”
 
The next day…
 
“Koga, I'm very sorry, but I can't go out with you on Sunday,” Kagome said.
 
“That's alright, my dear Kagome. We still have the rest of our lives together,” Koga said.
 
Kagome blushed and walked away. “I wish I could just find some way to say no,” she muttered.
 
 
Celebrate the wonderfulness that is fluff! Now, I need a few things from you. 1. Reviews. 2. Where should they go for dinner and what movie should they see? 3. Reviews. 4. I have a few plot bunnies running through my head but I don't have time to write them. If anyone ever needs an idea for a story, email me at ghostwriter35@yahoo.com. 5. Reviews. 6. Patience. I am a busy high school student (curse the evil that is school) and I don't have nearly enough time to update as fast as I would like.
 
I think that's pretty much it. As always, please review!