InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Falling ❯ chapter five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Falling

Chapter Five

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Kagome groaned to herself as she was practically inside the huge tub, scrubbing away at the rings and stains in it. What does he do in here? Play with toys or something? There was evidence of lots of splashing and moving around. Mou! I've never seen such a dirty tub. The thought of what he actually did do in here flashed through her mind and she blushed as she imagined him splashing around, not a stitch on him…

She hurriedly scrubbed at the remaining stains so that she could get out of the bathroom. Unfortunately, it looked like her next task was his bedroom. It seemed that her face was going to be a permanent shade of red.

**

Inuyasha seemed pleased with the new addition to the household and Kagome was rapidly forgetting the cold and wet of her old life-enjoying the one that she had been granted. She hadn't heard anymore of what the humans were planning to do to the youkai, and she was almost glad that it was silent. That way she didn't have to worry-she could concentrate on her job now. Not that it was an easy job, by any means. It was difficult and hard to keep up with all the new assignments. It didn't help that most of the materials that she was given to work with were absolutely primitive by her standards. She was 'earning her place' and she found that the price was high in her personal energy.

The only thing he had her doing that related to the whole temple incident was practicing those 'powers' that her blood gave her. Today was another day of practice. He had ordered her that after her regular chores each day she was to sit down and practice with him-testing the strength of whatever barriers she could form. He already knew that she could bring them down-he wanted to make sure that his 'secret weapon' could do more than that.

"All right, Kagome." Inuyasha suddenly appeared behind her and she nearly jumped in surprise. The man makes less noise than a damn cat when it comes to walking. She turned to see him grinning at her and she made a face.

"Make some noise next time, will you?" She asked irritably. "You're too quiet." He

shook his head at her and she saw the start of another 'lesson' already forming before he spoke. She mentally groaned-it seemed that whatever she said would constitute a 'lesson' from him. Resting on the edge of her bed, she raised an eyebrow and gestured for him to start speaking.

His own expression turned back to amusement at the way she was acting-as if she was the higher management here and not him. "Well, Kagome-if a youkai comes up behind you and wants to attack you, do you think that he'll make enough noise to warn you?" Kagome only snorted at this and shook her head.

"What youkai is going to attack me?" She asked shrewdly. "I never leave the house anymore-I'm locked up from dawn until dusk, and after night falls I'm asleep. I don't think that we have to worry about other youkai getting past your security system to attack little ol' me." She batted her eyelashes and looked innocent, but Inuyasha wasn't having any of that. His expression turned serious.

"You're not always going to be cleaning up, Kagome. You're going to have to work outside the house soon-very soon, in fact. Sango mentioned of a problem area that needs someone of your-skills to go take care of." He kept his gaze even on hers-he wanted to make sure she understood the idea. "It's nothing that is major-just a few spots here and there-but we need the miko blood to take care of it. Or just plain human blood. Sango said that we've recived some word in from our agents over there… and we'll need someone from our end to help out. And that's you."

Kagome arched an eyebrow, knowing that there had to be more that she had to do then he was letting on. He didn't seem to be giving any more information to her and soon left her alone in the room, leaving her to wonder just what assignments she had in store for him. It was only a few days before she found out-and was able to see more of the atrocities that the past hid from the future.

**

A few days later, she was back in Sango's offices, getting briefed on what her first assignment was. It was straight forward. To go to the human side of town, disguise herself as a business worker over there, and rescue kidnapped youkai children.

"Now, Kagome-here are your false ID papers, and you don't have to worry about what we did here." She winked and gave Kagome a hug. "They're suspicious bastards, but they don't have the old magic that we do."

Sango ran a hand through her hair and fixed her with a look. "You have to act like you mean business, Kagome. That means you have to seem like you're going to be the hell out of them if they do one thing wrong." Her eyes were halfway between amused and disgusted. "You have to be firm-assertive. I would train you to do that, but hell-you have enough attitude and a convincing enough appearance to pull it off. Your months with Inuyasha have paid off, he taught you well." She nodded toward the hanyou waiting to take Kagome to the meeting point.

"He knows what it's like over there. He goes over rarely-only on his human nights can he be convincing enough. You however have to act bitchy enough for the inspectors, assertive enough to show that you're a strong woman in your own business, but make the youkai children trust you. They have to willingly follow you and not try to kill you or run away."

"I wish that we didn't have to use someone basically so untrained-we don't want you getting hurt if you get caught. Just be safe, Kagome. We trust in you and know that you can do it. Are you all set?"

Kagome nodded and adjusted her outfit. It was something someone of her supposed business would wear. She was dressed modestly, but richly-the fabric was fine and her face and hands displayed that she never did any hard work in her life. There was no sign that she was youkai-touched and it was clear that all she was going to do was examine the finest slaves at the market for the exotic sexual pleasures of those with such needs. That was her front-and that was the best way to save the children-barely teenagers-from the fate that she was supposedly buying them for.

"Here is all the information-these are the names of your 'customers'-they'll check out fine, no matter what means the humans do to verify your list. This list is their specifications. We need these youkai back, Kagome. They were kidnapped and sold into slavery and their families are desperate to get them back. There are miko barriers around many of the buildings, though---none of us can get through. You're the only one that we have right now…" Sango was looking desperate as she pleaded with Kagome.

Inuyasha gave her a nod. "I know that you'll do everything right." He squeezed her hand. "I'll take you down to the end of the boundary line where you'll be able to get in safely. We have a friend over there that 'leaves' his post for a few moments so our spies can slip through." He nodded at Sango as she stuffed the papers in Kagome's case.

"Good luck." Sango watched as the two of them left the buildings, slipping down the side streets that would take them to the border of one world to another. She only hoped that Kagome was prepared for what was on the other side of the wall. Not everything had been explained to her-there wasn't enough time to go over the possibilities that she could be facing.

Inuyasha was giving her terse instructions as they walked down the twisting streets. "Now, you're bringing them back here, Kagome." He ordered. "No leaving them in the main part of town, not even if they plead for it. You're to take them to the old warehouse at the end of this road and they'll be taken care of there. Things must not be changed in any way, Kagome. Some of these kids may be spies-but if you take them here, they'll be safe and not harmed anymore. This is the acknowledged refugee part of town-safety zone. If they make it this far, then they won't be bothered. It's the same for any humans that hide here. We keep them safe."

Kagome nodded, keeping up with his quick strides. She looked human, she was human-and she would be able to make it. She was 'registered' and would be able to pass. She would save those children. He paused at the wall and gave her a quick hug. "Come back safe. We need you there."

She looked at him surprised, but didn't have much time to ponder his move before he shoved her through the gap, moving away quickly after she was safely on the other side. Her mission had begun.

**

She walked normally through the streets. It wasn't as if it was the dark of night and she had to be skulking around corners and staying hidden from authority-it was daylight. A little overcast, but nothing that made it seem as if she was doing something illegal. She was, but it wasn't as if they knew that. She found her way to the building rather quickly and then her eyes widened in horrified disbelief at what she saw. She quickly hid the emotion, lest anyone see it and question her 'human' ways, but inside her mind was reeling at the horrors.

Cages… they were in cages with collars around their necks and they were chained to the walls as if they were animals. Young girls and boys-hardly dressed and looking lost and sick-she winced and bit her lip. At attendant came bustling up to her, nose in the air. "I am Getsuei, and I need your papers. You are not supposed to be viewing the slaves without the proper paperwork!" She frowned deeper. "You should know that."

Kagome straightened up and pulled out the many folders that Sango had given her, giving the titled and documented papers to the attendant, who pursed her lips and examined it thoroughly, checking signatures and many other minor details that Kagome didn't even want to think about. After about ten minutes of shuffling and mutterings, she handed the sheaf back to Kagome.

"Come this way, Yashu-san. You can pick from any number that you wish." She nodded and gestured towards the group. "If you want, we can chain up the whole line for you-you have an extensive list of customers-they may want some variety." She looked longingly at some of the boys that were completely tied up to the point where they couldn't move themselves. "I would take one if I had the money."

Kagome's lips tilted up in a superior smirk. "You couldn't afford the breeds." She said haughtily. "And it is clear that you cannot even take care of such valuable property. They aren't even used yet-barely nubile-I think I'll take them out of your care." She sniffed slightly. "They are already bought and paid for-although I think they are overpriced." She turned her head away and let some of the sadness creep into her eyes as she looked over the cages. I have to get these youkai to trust me as well.

Getsuei apparently believed her-something about the paperwork or the way she carried herself must have rung some bells with her, because she was already injecting the children with something before tying them up in a way where they could walk, but not for large steps, and certainly not with the ability to escape at all. It hurt her to see these children in such a degrading position. They were children…

"I suppose they will do." She said coldly. "Give the leashes to me and I'll walk them. Exotic pets... what a waste of perfectly good youkai." Getsuei actually looked a little surprised, but handed the leashes over to Kagome. There was actually a sympathetic look or two given to a few of the youngest, surprising Kagome. Maybe not all of them are bad. She was going to say more to support her role-something about size or color or something-but the way the youkai were acting made her pause. I really think they like her.

This was further confirmed when the woman gave the smallest one-a kitsune by the look of it, a sucker pop to him. The small kit hugged her suddenly, uncaring of the new mistress that watched them. He somehow knew that this one wouldn't mind. After a moment she pried him off of her, giving Kagome a nervous look.

"Be good for Yashu-chan, Shippou." She said to him. "You know that she'll be nicer to you if you don't cause any trouble." She straightened up from her talk with the child and gave Kagome a square look. "They're not bad at all. Rather well-behaved. Don't treat them rough." As if she said too much, she scurried away, but her eyes still followed Kagome.

Mystified at the unexpected kindness, Kagome tugged on the leashes slightly, smiling at the youkai. "Come on now-you're all going to a new place. A new life." Several of the youkai gave her nervous looks, but some of them looked confident that she would be safe, especially the ones with the stronger senses. Shippou didn't seem to want to leave Getsuei, and hung on to her for a few moments more. Kagome hated to make that sad look enter his eyes, but picked up the kitsune bodily, whispering very softly in his ear.

"It will be okay. I'm taking you somewhere safe." She didn't really expect the small kit to believe her, but it made her feel better. He nodded once and with a final pat on the head from his old keeper, he followed Kagome.

**

Lucky for her, the first mission she had to accomplish was uneventful. The youkai were drugged up with someone to prevent them from escaping and they looked so dazed… Shippou-the kit-was the only one that seemed entirely coherent. He was subdued, and Kagome had the feeling he was a better actor than she was. The tail drooped and life seemed be drained out of his very expression. I'm going to give this kid something when we get to the warehouse. He deserves it! He was trotting back and forth to the different youkai, whispering something to them in a language that she didn't know, momentarily perking up her charges before they fell into the same listless routine as before. Thank goodness for him-they probably would have done something to make a run for it by now.

They arrived at the meeting point, another youkai checking all her credentials and examining the youkai children. When everything seemed to match up, Kagome was enveloped in a huge hug. "You've done great. We'll get all the paperwork taken care of - they'll be home in no time."

Kagome gave a nervous laugh and gave all the youkai children smiles before hurrying away. All she wanted to do was sleep for a while. The mission hadn't been especially hard or dangerous-she could think of a dozen or so way that it could have gone wrong, but it was trying on her nerves.

I am not meant to be mega-spy. She thought ruefully. Being an house-cleaner is all that I an aspire to right now. And for the time being, it was just fine for her. Anything more daring than what she was doing right now required a lot more preparation than she had.

**

Inuyasha seemed especially pleased when she came back safely and in one piece. "Everything went fine then? No barriers or anything?" Kagome shook her head, already changing into more comfortable clothing. The outfit she had to wear on the other side of town was so restrictive-she could finally breathe again. Inuyasha was talking to her behind the closed door while she changed.

She opened it a moment later, hairbrush in hand as she pulled her hair back, gesturing for him to come inside the room. "It went fine-one of the attendants… her name was Getsuei-was really surprisingly nice. She seemed to genuinely care for the children." Her expression was still a little surprised. "So there are nice people over there."

He nodded. "I never said there wasn't. It's just the people that are in charge. It's the same over here. Most of the people you'll see are nice-they'll take in people and be nice to them. It's the superiors that you have to worry about."

Kagome nodded. "It makes sense." Already parts of her memory of 'her' time were changing. It seemed that her small acts now-or some that she might possibly make in the future-were changing what she thought she knew as solid fact. Her memories were becoming unstable, though-and she wondered if the future was really so solid after all.

One was the housing that she had admired. It was.. different. It was almost like different shadows played against the curtains.. different people lived there - she wasn't sure what to make of it. It was all to fuzzy yet. She could only hope she was doing the right thing and the future was going to change for the better.

"Keep up the good work, Kagome." Inuyasha said warmly. "Tomorrow is your day of rest-you've been busy and I'm proud." It certainly seemed that the ragamuffin girl that had dropped in his house was good luck-and there were still so many more things that they could do with her. Getting her into the higher offices was next.