InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Far Away Eye's Fairytales: A Drabble Collection ❯ The Sword of Memories ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: The Sword of Memories
Author: Far Away Eyes
Word Count: 250
Rating: G
Genre: Introspection
Summary: Inuyasha muses on memories and why he and Sesshomaru fight over Tetsusaiga.
 
He knew his brother was jealous. Inuyasha knew that Sesshomaru coveted Tetsusaiga. They'd been feuding over it for as long as he'd possessed it. The hanyou looked at his reflection in the transformed blade. Inuyasha would never let Sesshomaru have it. He certainly enjoyed Tetsusaiga's raw power, but that wasn't the only reason he wanted it. Even though it was necessary to seal his demon blood, he kept it because it was the only tangible thing he had from his father.
 
In a way, Inuyasha was just as jealous of Sesshomaru. His brother had something he coveted, and it wasn't Sesshomaru's pure blood. He envied his brother's memories. His elder brother had been privileged to know their father. Sesshomaru remembered his face. He remembered the sound of his voice. Inuyasha could only imagine them. Sesshomaru often taunted him about that. Sometimes, Inuyasha wished he could exchange Tetsusaiga for Sesshomaru's memories. At least then he'd know more than old stories from Myoga about his father.
 
Inuyasha rued the poor relationship he had with Sesshomaru. He let Tetsusaiga revert back to its rusted form. As Inuyasha caressed the dull blade, he sighed. If only they could put their feud behind them, perhaps he could discover those memories Sesshomaru possessed. Maybe then he'd know his father, vicariously, through his only blood relative. It dawned on Inuyasha that might be why his brother wanted Tetsusaiga at all. They hadn't been fighting over it. They had been fighting over memories---ones he didn't even have.