InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Farewell, Lord Sesshomaru ❯ Farewell, Lord Sesshomaru ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
Farewell, Lord Sesshomaru
 
How was she going to tell him? The most crucial decision of Rin's life was before her. Kohaku held her hand nervously.
 
“Do you want me to go with you?”
 
Rin kissed him lightly on the cheek. “No. I have to do this alone.”
 
Kohaku gave her a nod and a smile of encouragement. Then, Rin took a deep breath and began the hardest journey of her life.
 
--
 
He was standing at the edge of the sea, his feet half-buried in sand that the salty wind was tossing over them.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru?” Rin approached him timidly, slowly gaining hold of her nerves.
 
He neither turned around to look at her, nor acknowledged her, but she went on undeterred. “You have always protected me. And I am forever grateful. In that last battle with Naraku…you saved Kohaku's life. And he was my friend.” Rin smiled at the memory of it, for it was that day that Kohaku's world opened up, and Rin's with it. Naraku was gone, and all their hardships, and Rin began to see a Kohaku that she had never known before. With time, a light-hearted Kohaku who made her laugh and smile. With time, a light-hearted Kohaku she had grown to love.
 
“I have something to tell you, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
Silence except for the sound of the waves crashing against each other.
 
“Kohaku…has proposed. And I have…accepted.” Rin held her breath, and waited for his reaction.
 
It never came.
 
Finally, she cleared her throat, less confident now. Her voice was barely above a whisper, almost carried away on the wind. “Do we have your blessing?”
 
Sesshomaru stood quietly for a long time, still not facing her. When he spoke, his voice remained neutral. “You love this boy.”
 
“Yes.” Her voice was never more earnest, her heart had never pounded so loudly in her chest. The adrenaline crashed through her body like the waves on the sea. She held her breath as Sesshomaru gave her his answer.
 
“I have always told you: Do as you wish.”
 
Rin's eyes lit up as she smiled, bowed, and gushed, “Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru! You have made me so happy.”
 
But Sesshomaru next words cut short Rin's joy. “I will not be seeing you anymore.”
 
Rin froze. “What?”
 
“If you choose to be with this human, I will not meddle in your affairs.”
 
The wind howled then. Rin let his disquieting declaration sink in, and shamefully realized that she was not as surprised by his words as she thought she should be. Still, she never dreamed that she would ever have to say goodbye.
 
“When I was a girl, I wished only to be with you forever, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“That was a foolish wish.”
 
Rin lowered her eyes, and smiled sadly. “I know.”
 
Wind started blowing stronger then, lifting the grains of sand around Sesshomaru's feet away. Rin's old life was ending; she could feel it in the air.
 
“I will miss you, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
He did not answer her. This was how it was going to be. Kohaku would be the one to protect her now. Rin made to leave, and then hesitated. “Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
Only the sound of the wind through his hair.
 
“Please…don't forget me.” And then Rin was gone.
 
Sesshomaru stood alone at the water until long after the tide went out to sea.
 
THE END