InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Follow ❯ Follow ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kagura is brought back to life, and makes a decision. Vague Sess/Kagu, oneshot.

~

Follow

~

Her mission complete, no longer needed, Naraku produced her heart and squeezed it painfully before his fingers pierced its walls, and so Kagura died.

Kouga, who had been about to attack her after she (again) took his shikon fragments, stared in shock as she abruptly collapsed, her face twisted in pain for a long instant before the muscles were suddenly lax, and he moved too slowly to stop the saimyoushou from carrying the shards off.

She was dead. Moreover, Kagome's tale of how Naraku held her physical heart in his hands seemed to be true. Far be it from him to be satisfied with a slave's death when the offence's fault had been the master's. He just had one more reason to have Naraku now.

Running off (without the shards, he could no longer speed) he left the corpse where it lay. It was not the way of his people to bury the dead.

Not even half an hour later, Sesshoumaru stared expressionlessly down at the body on the ground. Both Rin and Tenseiga wanted her to live again, it seemed, and he could see the pallbearers. Besides, he still had not tried resurrecting a youkai. It was a valid experiment - would she be purified as she was returned to life? and would her misplaced heart be returned to her, or would she be yet under Naraku's thumb?

He withdrew the Tenseiga and swung.

-

It felt, Kagura thought, like being unsealed, like being allowed to move after forced stagnancy - as though she had been air trapped inside stone, long ago, and someone had just broken it open so she could escape.

She was alive again.

Keeping her eyes closed, she brought her hand to her face, feeling her own breath. She touched her cheek, feeling its warmth. And, after a moment's hesitation, she put her hand over where her heart should be - and felt it beat.

She smiled and opened her eyes to look up at Sesshoumaru, who stood over her looking only faintly curious, then rose so she could bow. "Thank you."

He looked at her almost quizzically for a moment longer, then turned away. "Come. We are leaving."

The girl and the toad happily obeyed, and after another moment's hesitation, so too did Kagura. She didn't know if he had included her or not, but, she stubbornly decided, she didn't care. She was free now, to make her own choices, and as long as he proved himself worthy of it, she would follow him.

~

{I will follow him - follow him wherever he may go: there isn't an ocean too deep, a mountain so high it can keep - keep me away}