InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ From Beginning to End ❯ The Profiles ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I actually started writing this over two weeks ago at 4 in the morning when I couldn’t sleep…why couldn’t I sleep? The man across the street from me was murdered only an hour ago and I was the only close neighbor awake at the time.


His sister found him and was screaming, then his mother was hysterical. They did, however, catch the guys, and I’m really sorry it took so long to get this out.

This chapter will start out being an informational one, but near the bottom, when I get to Inu Yasha’s past, it’ll be more action.


.


.


.


.


.


.


Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha.


.


.


.


Sorry, I do not have the ending from last chapter, so I can not put it here.

.


.


.


Chapter Seven: The Profiles


.


.


.


“Kagome?” Shippou asked cutely while he looked up from his food.


“Hm?” Kagome asked, continuing to eat her snack while the rest of the group did the same around them.


“What’s the world like now? What’s your life like?”


Kagome stopped gnawing at her rock hard loaf of bread and looked down at the small kitsune. Chewing the mouthful that was left, she swallowed and then leaned down to tousle his auburn hair. “Well…for one, youkai and humans get along a lot better now than the time you left.”


“Really?” Shippou asked, disbelief clouding his eyes. In the ‘Feudal Era’, as Kagome called the time he came from, humans thought demons were scum and didn’t deserve anything. Demons thought of humans as inferior; weaklings.


Kagome smiled softly at him and nodded slowly. “Yeah, Shippou-chan, they shop together, live together, work together…sometime they even marry one another.”


“Marry?” The younger boy wasn’t used to the term.


“She means mating. ‘Marry’ is just the human term for it,” Inu Yasha informed the younger male.


“Oh,” he let it sink in. “Okay. What about you, Kagome? And Sango-san and Miroku-sama?”


Kagome looked over to see if her friends were going to tell the fox cub about themselves, but found the other humans in a deep conversation. She heard the words ‘Kaede-sama’ and ‘affair’ and ‘with Totosai’. The miko wasn’t sure that she wanted to get into that talk.


Turning back to the demons, she tried to think of the best ways of telling them about herself and the others.


“Well…let’s start with Miroku-sama!” Kagome decided. Might as well start anywhere. “He lives at a temple with his guardian, Moushin. Miroku’s father was a monk, but he got hit by a car when Miro was only five. He never knew his mother, so Moushin brought him up! He still lives at the temple, and does his duties as a monk.”


“Like what?” Shippou made a face. When he was still in the real world, monks were old and smelly and they liked to set demons on fire.


Kagome thought it over…what did Miroku do? “Uh…well, I guess he helps take care of the temple and watches over the monks in training so they don’t hurt themselves. He’ll also help get rid of spirits that haunt places, and can get rid of the smaller demons that try to hurt humans.”


“Smaller demons, like me?” Shippou’s emerald eyes were widened in innocence.


“No, no,” Kagome assured him, patting the little boy on the head. “Like, the lower level demons.”


“Yeah, the ones who are even more pathetic than you,” Inu Yasha sneered.


Shippou promptly ignored him.


“I, uh, met Miroku in 6th grade when he gave me a ‘welcoming grope’. I slammed him into my locker. Before that the lock wouldn’t open, but after his head hit it, it opened a lot easier,” Kagome grinned at the fond memories. “Took him a week to get rid of that bruise!”


Inu Yasha rolled his eyes at her enthusiasm. ‘Bitch…’ he grumbled, almost feeling sorry for the abused monk. ‘Almost’ being the key term.


“What about Sango-san?” Shippou looked at the demon huntress.


“…Sango’s mom died when Kohaku, Sango’s little brother, was born. Now she lives with Kohaku and her dad. Her entire family line, for centuries, has been made up of demon hunters. Back then they were exterminators and took out any demon if they were paid enough. Now demon hunters are more like assassins and only get rid of the bad demons.”


Inu Yasha snorted. “Sure, that’s what they do…What are you, a moron? They’d kill anything if you were loaded enough!”


Kagome glared at the half-demon for all she was worth. “Sango and her people are not killers and I’ll smack you if you say that again!”


“Keh.”


“Anyway…Sango and her family live at the training barracks along with all the other taijiyas. That way if anyone needs them, they only have to go to one place. It’s pretty close to the monk temple where Miroku lives,” Kag explained, her anger with Inu Yasha fading.


Said hanyou just listened grumpily.


“When did you meet her?” Shippou had a million questions popping into his head. He wanted to know as much as he could about Kagome and the world. He’d been in Naraku’s maze so long he didn’t know what was what anymore. Plus, he’d just met all three humans and didn’t know anything more than their names.


“Actually, Sango’s only a year older than me. Our moms had been friends since they were little kids, so me and Sango have known each other since I was born. She met Miroku right after me when she sent him sailing into the pond by our elementary school,” Kagome smiled dreamily, remembering how suave the monk had looked with a lily pad in his hair…


…Yeah, right.


“Elementary school?” Shippou asked, and Inu Yasha was thinking the same thing.


Kagome winced, reminding herself that in the Feudal Era a boy was lucky enough to learn more than just how to read if they were a peasant. “Now a days, everyone is aloud to learn. Girls and boys; no matter what family you’re from. In fact, it’s against the law to not go to school and you can get in trouble.”


“Feh, that doesn’t sound fun,” Inu Yasha scoffed. If anyone tried to make him do anything, he’d probably cut off their head. He had learned how to read when he was younger and that was hard enough.


“So, what about you?” Shippou finally asked.


Inu Yasha’s ears perked up. Kagome’s life? This ought to be interesting…


Kagome worried her lip, trying to come up with a short version of her life like she had done with Miroku and Sango. “Well…my dad died of cancer when I was seven…”


Inu Yasha felt a pang of something. Whether it was sympathy or indigestion he had no clue. That bread that Kagome had fed him hadn’t tasted right, after all…


“My mom is still alive though. I have a younger brother, Souta. I grew up on the Sunset Shrine with them and my Jiisan until I was eighteen. Then I was old enough to live alone so I took over the shrine. It’s been in my family for generations. Mama lives in the city now. I have a cat! He’s fat, lazy, and is named Buyo.”


“That’s lovely, but when does the jewel come into all this…?” Inu Yasha drawled.


Kagome shot him a look that clearly said ‘shut up, I’m not done!’ She then looked away from them, towards the empty wasteland where they were walking, and tugged at her pants’ hem.


“Well…” Inu Yasha prodded. If she was this embarrassed about the jewel, the story had to be good.


“Fine,” she snapped. “Jeeze, you’re irritating! When I was eleven I had my appendix taken out and…when they took it out, the Shikon no Tama popped right out!”


Inu Yasha cackled at the blush on her cheeks. That story had sounded just graceful. Although, he decided, it would have been funnier if he had actually known what an appendix was.


Kagome glared at him. “If you’re done laughing I can finish!”


Inu Yasha smothered the noise and waited for her to continue. Shippou just sat quietly, not really understanding the big deal about some jewel other than it was Kagome’s and Naraku had it.


“My ancestor Midoriko created the jewel and when she died it disappeared. After that, the whole world has been waiting for it to reappear again. I guess I was the one that it chose to use to show up again.” Kagome shrugged. “It doesn’t matter…if I can get it back in my safety, no one can use the damn thing and then we won’t have to worry about it being used for evil. When I die, maybe it’ll disappear again.”


“You know…you should really use that as a bedtime story,” Inu Yasha smirked, growing more gleeful as that action made her angrier.


“Oh, I’m so glad that my death amuses you!”


“It doesn’t. Dog breath is just being mean. He’s always like that, I don’t take him seriously,” Shippou told her seriously.


That made Kagome’s frown disappear and she smiled again. Children could always help her moods. She ruffled his hair and asked, “Would you mind telling me your story?”


The little boy nodded slowly. “Well, I lived with my parents until they were killed by some bandits…demon bandits. When the men came after me, I hid in this little cave I found. It turned out to be the doorway to Naraku’s maze-thingy.”


“And that’s where I found him,” Inu Yasha interrupted. He cupped his hands behind his head and flopped backwards onto the ground to look up at the sky…the very gray, covered sky.


Shippou nodded to show that the dog demon told the truth.


“The runt was sobbing in the tunnel by the time I made it to him. I didn’t even bother to lead him through, but-”


“You mean you were going to leave an innocent child alone in a tunnel! You bastard!” Kagome yelled, whacking him on the head with her fist. Miroku and Sango looked up from her conversation for a second before shrugging and going back to talking.


“If you would let me finish, wench!” The hanyou sat up and rubbed at his bruised ear. Bitch…


“Fine. Go on, then…” Kagome huffed. What was it about this guy who could ruin her good mood so quickly? She was usually so kind and comforting, but this jerk could make her lose her temper in a just a few words!


“…Why should I?” Inu Yasha challenged. Hey, if the girl wanted it so bad than why tell her?


“Because if you don’t finish telling her, then I will,” Shippou muttered, tired of being forgotten again. It was his story, after all!


Kagome, momentarily ignoring Inu Yasha, smiled encouragingly down at the fox. “Thank you, Shippou-chan.”


He grinned back at her. “Actually, Inu Yasha ended up just picking me right up and marching straight to Naraku! He told that meany that I would not be hurt, and Yash would take care of me if he had to!”


Kagome blinked down at the boy. Inu Yasha had saved him? He’d made Naraku let Shippou stay in his care, safe from mostly anything? Inu Yasha?!


The black haired beauty turned slowly to the hanyou, expecting him to be looking angry and shocked that Shippou would tell such a lie. Instead she found him looking at anywhere but them and…


…Were the tips of his ears pink?


‘So he can be embarrassed!’ Kagome thought triumphantly. The big bad dog demon wasn’t so invincible after all. Apparently doing good acts towards other completely ruined his bad guy act.


Rolling her eyes at his overdramatical reaction, Kagome turned back to the fox.


Once he felt that her penetrating ocean gaze wasn’t on him anymore, Inu Yasha looked up to gape at the miko’s back. She wasn’t going to tease him about helping Shippou?


‘Keh,’ he huffed mentally and tried to think of something else to do while the humans continued their little afternoon break. It would be dark soon and then they would have to set up camp for the night.


Now where was the best spot…?


“So as long as Inu Yasha sticks around and doesn’t mind, Naraku won’t kill you or kick you out?” Kagome asked.


Shippou shrugged. “I guess. I don’t really know. If you think about it like that, it sounds almost like I’m here by choice…”


Kagome kissed him on the tip of his nose and smiled at him. “I think you are very brave.”


He beamed. “Thank you!”


“I call them as I see them!” Kagome announced. To watch your parents being murdered and then to have to live with someone like Inu Yasha took guts!


“Kagome…”


“Yeah?” Her stormy eyes looked at the little boy once again. He looked awfully sheepish.


“I’m kind of…tired. Do we have to keep going today? Can’t we start fresh tomorrow,” the cub now looked pretty pitiful.


Kagome sighed and was about to answer when Inu Yasha burst out. “No we can’t rest yet! They don’t have a lot of time to get all the way through this damn thing, and we have to make what we can out of what we got!”


‘Does he mean he’s actually going to try and help us get through this…?’


Inu Yasha blinked as he ran over his little speech in his mind. ‘Oh shit…’ “What I mean is, Shippou, don’t you want to get this over with and get rid of their fuckin’ sorry asses?!”


“…Not really,” Shippou looked close to tears at the thought of Kagome having to leave him soon.


Inu Yasha narrowed his eyes and was about to continue, to make sure the others didn’t take what he said the wrong way and think he meant that he wanted them to make it through alright and on time, but Kagome put a hand on his shoulder. While he busied himself trying to figure out why she was touching him, the miko looked down at the fox cub.


Crystal tears were still sparkling in his green eyes and she immediately felt her heart go out to him. He was terrified at the thought of his new friends leaving too soon and being left to go back into an enchanted sleep.


“We can stop tonight as soon as Inu Yasha finds us a good camping site,” Kagome soothed his nerves.


That snapped Inu Yasha out of his thoughts. “Why the fuck do I have to find the site?”


Kagome gave him a leveled glare. “You’re the only one who knows this place. What, do you expect Shippou-chan to find us a spot?”


“…No…” He glared at her triumphant smile. “Keh,” he added for good measure. ‘What a little witch!’


“Good!” she clapped her hands together. “It’s all set then!”


“What’s all set, Kagome-chan?” Sango asked as she and Miroku came closer to the other three.


“Nice to see you two are still around,” Inu Yasha stated dryly.


“Why wouldn’t we be?” Miroku asked, looking the essence of calm.


Inu Yasha glared. “Where have you been for the last hour?”


“Just over there, don’t make a fit, Inu Yasha,” Kagome rolled her eyes. “Inu Yasha’s going to find us a good spot and we’re going to stop for the night.”


“That would be nice, but do we have time…?” Sango let her question drift off, knowing Kagome would get what we meant.


Kagome suddenly grinned and stood up to brush of her shrine uniform. “With Inu Yasha on our side, we’ll get through this with time to spare!”


She set off again in the direction they’d been heading the last few hours. The others accepting her odd announcement easily enough, set off after her.


One was left behind however. Inu Yasha stood, becoming farther and farther away from them as he stood staring after the odd group.


Kagome had sounded like she’d…trusted him, just now! Not only did she not know him, but she also didn’t even get along all that well with him.


Inu Yasha finally started after them, grumbling under his breath about mikos and they’re conspiracies.


It really was an odd group…


.


500 Years Before


.


“He’s over here!” A man shouted as he busted through the trees. In his hand was a spear, sharpened to a deadly point. His brown eyes scanned the grassy hills and then stopped on what they sought.


A young man, attractive in his own right, flew across the land. His silver white hear streamed behind him, his intelligent golden eyes darting everywhere, and his razor claws sparkling in the fading light as the sun set.


“Hurry!” The villager commanded, darting out of the safety of the trees after the red and white blue. “He’s getting away!” He yelled.


Behind him, a large group of villagers raced burst through the trees, all with weapons clutched in their hands.


They were all dressed in loose clothing, nothing to extravagant for a bunch of farmers. Racing after half demon, they yelled rude comments as they tried to catch up. Even horribly wounded, the hanyou seemed to be bitterly faster than them.


Up ahead of the angry mob, Inu Yasha clutched as his chest, blood blossomed between his fingers. The sticky, crimson liquid covered his entire body from the gaping hole in his stomach. Several of his ribs were broken, making it harder to race away from the men who were threatening his life.


“Damn it,” he hissed out loud as he stumbled over another rock. Inuyasha began to slant sideways before he caught her balance and raced off again. There was a large lake up ahead and many, many rocks. He could hide there when the sun finally set.



But fate didn’t seem to be on his side.


“Fuck!” He gasped as his foot caught in a ditch, making him fall flat on his face, his chest in agony. Forcing himself to swallow and get up, he ran forward, but his vision was blurred with pain.


Black spots dance everywhere and he had trouble figuring out what was really there, and what was not.





He was only a few meters from the largest boulder when they caught up.


“You filthy half breed!” A particularly ugly villager snarled as he rammed his elbow into Inu Yasha’s back, causing the hanyou to slam into the rock.


Inu Yasha groaned on impact but quickly twisted around to face the oncoming pursuers.


10 human men against one half demon.


Normally, Inu Yasha would have smirked sadistically and then slit their throats, but this time he wasn’t so smug.


This time he’d been careless and had gotten himself hurt. If hurt was the word…


While resting by a tree, a loud river beside him covering all sounds and a strong wind taking all scents away, a man had sneaked up on him and had rammed a sword through Inu Yasha’s gut.


A dirty, chipped, rusty sword.


Normally, the injury would have only barely slowed the hanyou down. But this time…


…Tonight was the full moon. The sword cutting scene had happened only moments before, when the sun was starting to dip below the horizon. Inu Yasha’s powers had already begun to drain.


Fate really did hate him.



And now the sun was almost down and he was badly injured with ten angry men on his tail. He didn’t even do anything!


Ok…so a few weeks ago he may have killed a few of the lifestock and ransacked some of the huts, but he hadn’t hurt anyone…mortally at least…and the village was fun. Couldn’t a man have some fun?


Apparently not…


“Not so strong now,” the villager who had slammed into Inu Yasha sneered. “Not so powerful when you’re wounded and we’re ready to fight you, are you? Are you?!”


Inu Yasha’s molten orbs narrowed before he spat in the man’s face. “You know what?” The light haired man drawled as the man wiped the saliva from his face, “You can rot in hell…”


The villager backhanded Inu Yasha. The half demon’s head cracked to the side, his cheek slamming painfully into the rock he was leaning against. But Inu Yasha didn’t so much as make a whimper as he turned his piercing eyes back to the villager.


“Do that again,” he hissed, “And I swear my claws will rip your fuckin’ heart out so fast you’ll still be able to see it beat before you die.”


The villager, a rough man that went by the name K. [don’t know why], but smirked, his yellow teeth emitting a rather bad smell.


Behind K. stood the rest of the villagers. All of their tanned faces held scowls or sneers. Inu Yasha sighed. This was going to be a long night…


The youkai thought over the facts. He was wounded, had a huge blood lost, and all his demon powers would fade completely as the sun went down in, oh…all of three minutes? And there were ten healthy, if homely, men up against him.


All with weapons. From poor excuses for swords to planks of wood with nails in them. Not fancy, but painful.


‘Why does this have to happen to me?’ Inu Yasha growled in his mind. Life hated him. He knew it. Not only did his father and mother have do die when he was a young whelp, but his brother had to despise him, and villagers scorned him.


“I hate life…” He ground out, accidentally out loud.


“Then let me take it from you!” K. announced, tired of silence. In a blink of an eye the man’s spear was held to the hanyou’s throat threateningly.


Or…it would have been threatening if Inu Yasha hadn’t pushed it aside with one finger, raising a thick eyebrow at the villager.


K. stared back at him, blinking.





Then he remembered he was supposed to kill this ‘half breed’. If he didn’t, well…his wife had told him to, and K. didn’t want to know what she’d do if he failed.


“Prepare to die!” K. shrieked, the spear once again in movement, the sharp tip flying at Inu Yasha’s head.


Inu Yasha cocked his head to the side and kept a straight face when the spears wooden shaft shattered on impact. “Isn’t that my line?” He asked calmly before sending a fist into K.’s face.


Needless to say, the villager wouldn’t have to worry about facing an angry wife.


The other nine men stared stupidly at K.’s body; the corpse was fast growing cold and stiff, and they didn’t have a leader any more. Whatever. Who needed a leader to kill a half demon? The spawn of hell?


A second villager detached himself from the group and readied his sword; the dried blood proved that it was the weapon that had injured Inu Yasha earlier.


The hanyou needed no more reason to kill this man too. It was the simple act of snatching the human’s frail neck in his clawed grasp and squeezing…squeezing…and then…


SNAP


Two down, eight to go.


Sadly, Inu Yasha didn’t fare so well after his first victories.


Strengthened by rage at his comrades’ deaths, the third attacker lunged at demon, his knife prepared to sink into Inu Yasha’s chest. At the last moment Inu Yasha stepped to the side just enough for the knife to miss his heart…but slip into his shoulder.


Not wasting time on something as pathetic as crying out in pain, Inu Yasha made his third victim of the night. The Tetsusaiga was detached from his side, not transformed because of his fleeing demonic powers, and rammed into the man’s stomach.


Gasping, blood trickling down his chin, the guy collapsed on his knees, leaving a clear shot for an arrow to fly at Inu Yasha.


Inu Yasha, his reflexes quick no matter what form, twisted and the shot missed…but only just barely.


Growling in his throat, his pain pushed aside, the arrow was snatched up and now used by the hunted half demon. Inu Yasha shoved two men aside and lunged at the archer. The villager’s own arrow was plunged into his throat.


By the time the sun had sunk low enough, it’s last rays just barely showing, Inu Yasha stood panting over the bodies of 10 men.


None were alive.


And Inu Yasha wasn’t far behind him.


Besides the knife in his shoulder and the hole through his chest, Inu Yasha’s head was bruised and battered from being hit. Breathing hard he stumbled away from the gravesite and towards one of the large boulders in the clearing. Placing his back against it, he slid down.


“I just…killed them,” Inu Yasha muttered. It’s not like he’d never killed before. But he wasn’t some kind of blood thirsty murderer. He didn’t kill in cold blood, only to protect himself…which is what he just did, he reminded himself.


He’d done nothing but choose a resting site near the men’s village. They’d attacked him first!


Scowling, Inu Yasha flinched when he felt the last of his extra strength flow out of him. A soft wind blew and he watched in no surprise as the hair that passed his face was midnight black…


He was fully human now, and very injured.


“I’ll be lucky to survive the night,” he hissed under his breath, glad that no one was around to see his weakness.


He was actually so out of it that he didn’t notice when the rock behind him opened somewhat to show a black doorway.


He was asleep before he’d fully fallen through the little hole, and he was unconscious for long enough to not notice when the opening shut…leaving him in utter darkness.


.


Inu Yasha woke unhappily somewhere near afternoon the next day. His demon blood had come back at dawn and was now working hard to heal his wounds. “Fuck,” he grumped as he sat up and searched around himself.


Even with his superior senses he could barely tell where he was.


Interesting…it was a tunnel…


…Maybe he was about to have a little adventure in his life now? Inu Yasha attached Tetsusaiga to his obi and set out, wondering where he was going…


.


Present


.


“Inu Yasha?” a soft voice broke through his flash back. He looked down at his side to see Kagome grinning up at him, her smile small and soft.


To his annoyance he found himself noting she was attractive when she was happy. Not that she was all that bad looking when she was angry either…


Shaking his head a little, he glared at her. “What?” he snapped.


Kagome let the tone roll off of her. “Is there a camp site near here?” Her eyes softened when she looked up ahead of them. A few meters away, Miroku and Sango trudged along, not showing any fatigue. But Shippou was curled up on the monk’s shoulder, sleeping soundly.


With Kagome’s eyes averted, she didn’t notice Inu Yasha’s own eyes grow warm at the site of the kit. No one could know…but he really did love that boy…Keh, but if anyone had the nerve to suggest it they’d be dead before they could blink!


“Yeah,” he’s voice came out gruff. Kagome’s stormy eyes flicked to him, but she didn’t say anything and he mentally thanked the miko.


Looking around he saw a group of trees not far up ahead. They weren’t really different from any of the other trees around here. They were stunted and dead, but it was the way they stood.


There were five, all in a perfect circle.


A clawed hand appeared by Kagome’s ear and she looked where Inu Yasha was pointing. “There?” she asked, looking over her shoulder. “At those trees.”


Inu Yasha nodded and Kagome smiled at him. “Thanks, I’ll go tell the others.”


With that she rushed ahead of him to the group to point out their resting spot. As they started to head in the direction, she looked over her shoulder and grinned at Inu Yasha.


Inu Yasha would have rather welcomed the pain that came with being stabbed then the butterflies in his stomach right then…


.


.


.

Yes, there’s still a lot more to explain about Inu Yasha’s situation, but you’ll find out the whole story sooner or later. Review! Ja ne!