InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fundraisers Kill Me ❯ Fundraisers Kill Me ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Fundraisers Kill Me





“Lord Sesshoumaru! I’m home!”

Rin stepped inside the entranceway and slipped her shoes off. She dropped her book bag in the bin by the door, being careful not to drop the cardboard box she was carrying. She walked passed the foyer and dining room, and into the kitchen. Rin heaved the cardboard box onto the kitchen table and brushed her hands over her uniform skirt, smoothing the invisible wrinkles.

Loosening her tie as she walked, Rin made her way to the refrigerator, looking around the large kitchen cautiously before opening it. Jaken hated people messing around in his kitchen before meals, but sometimes, if he was in a good mood, he let her sneak a popsicle after school. So, not seeing anyone insight, she stood on her tip toes and reached up, snagging a random popsicle from the box. She didn’t really care what flavor she got; she wasn’t too picky when it came to food. Ripping open the plastic wrapper, she withdrew the icy treat and took a lick. Cherry.

“Lord Sesshoumaru? Master Jaken?”

“Oh Rin! You’re home. I didn’t hear your bus pull up.”

Rin smiled at the little toad demon. He was eyeing her popsicle, but didn’t seem too upset that she’d gotten the afternoon snack. Rin took another lick and sat down at the table, her stocking feet dangling a few inches from the floor. She was already twelve years old, but it seemed that nature had saddled her with a shortness gene. Rin didn’t mind too much though. She liked being petite. Her friends always told her if she would only cut her unruly brown hair, she’d look just like an elf. Rin always giggled at that.

“You didn’t hear the bus because it had no reason to come this way. I walked home with Shippo today. He carried my box for me.”

Rin had to smile, remembering how the kitsune had insisted on walking her home after she missed her bus. He’d absolutely refused to let her carry the box all the way home on her own. Shippo was only a year older than her, but he was really big into the whole chivalry thing. Rin thought it was cute. It didn’t hurt that he was really cute too. She was brought out of her musings by Jaken’s loud ‘Humph’.

“I thought Lord Sesshoumaru said you weren’t to associate with that young demon.”

Rin laughed and rolled her dark eyes playfully.

“No silly. Lord Sesshoumaru said that I couldn’t date Shippo until I’m in high school. We can still be friends in the mean time though.”

Jaken looked at her skeptically but didn’t say anything. She was probably right anyway. The ninjen girl seemed to remember almost everything his Lord ever said. He only shrugged his shoulders and pointed to the box on the table.

“Is that the box the kitsune carried for you?”

Rin grinned widely and polished off her popsicle, which had started to drip down her hand. She lowered her voice to a whisper.

“Yes it is. Want to see what’s inside?”

“Stop teasing Jaken, Rin.” Rin clapped a hand over her mouth and giggled into her palm.

“Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru.”

Rin turned to see her adoptive father standing at the kitchen entrance. Dressed in his usual slacks and dress shirt, he looked as if he’d been working in his office for quite sometime.

“What is in the box, Rin?”

“Oh! It’s really cool. I’ve been waiting all year to do this.”

Rin leaned across the table and flipped open the lid of the box with a triumphant smile. Sesshoumaru walked over and peered into the box, looking back at her with raised eyebrows.

“Food.”

“Hardly food my Lord. That box is full of nothing but empty calories and teeth rotting sugar.” His indignant snort and crossed arms were all it took to set Rin to giggling again.

“It’s only candy Master Jaken. There’s nothing wrong with a little candy.”

Sesshoumaru studied the box of assorted ‘candy’. He knew that the child had a bit of a sugar tooth, but there were at least fifty packages in the box.

“You are not going to eat all of this yourself, Rin.”

“Of course not. This candy is for my school’s charity fundraiser. I’m not going to eat it. I’m going to sell it.”

He nodded slightly, he gold eyes flicking from the box to the girl. He pulled his wallet from his back pocket and opened it, rifling through the bills.

“How much is the entire box worth?”

“No thank you Lord Sesshoumaru. This is going to be fun. I want to sell the candy myself. …But, you can buy one, if you like.”

Sesshoumaru looked at the candies doubtfully. He had no idea what any of these things were. He couldn’t understand why the girl didn’t just let him pay for the entire box. But if it made her happy… Wrinkling his nose, he picked up one of the red bags of candy and held it up between his claws. He looked at Rin, who smiled approvingly at him.

“Skittles. Those are good. I like the originals because they’re the only ones you can eat a handful at a time, without getting a nasty mix in your mouth. Try some.”

“Of course. Not right now though. Jaken will also buy a candy.”

“But my Lord! The empty calories! The teeth rotting sugar!-” Sesshoumaru growled, thus ending the complaints. “Yes, my Lord.”

He dug a dollar out of his pocket and handed it, albeit reluctantly, to Rin and grabbed a random bag from the box. He eyed the bag of M&M’s suspiciously and tossed them on the counter, planning to toss them in the garbage later. Rin just beamed at the two demons and closed the lid over the box.

“Lord Sesshoumar, may I go sell my candy now?” The inu demon nodded.

“Jaken will drive you around the block.”

Rin squealed happily and ran upstairs to her room to change into her weekend clothes.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Rin rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer the door. She had insisted that Jaken drive her to this house first, even if it was at the other end of the block. She smiled as she waited and her smiled brightened when the door opened.

“Uncle Inuyasha! Will you buy some candy, please?”

“Uh-”

“Is that Rin? Did she say candy? What kind of candy?”

Inuyasha quickly blocked his wife from the doorway. He scowled at her and pointed to her slightly rounded stomach.

“Oi wench! You remember what the doctor said. No junk food.” Kagome leaned forwar, placing one hand on his arm the other over her belly, her lips bowed in a little pout.

“But Yasha, the baby is craving chocolate.”

“Feh. Nice try Kagome.” Kagome Taisho crossed her arms defiantly and narrowed her eyes at her husband. If the inu hanyou thought he was going to keep her from getting that much needed chocolate, then he was sadly mistaken.

“Inuyasha, I want a candy bar!”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes and flicked his ears. He didn’t know why he even tried to argue with the woman anymore. She was only two months pregnant for God’s sake, and already she was having mood swings. At least he could be thankful she wasn’t craving weird shit like peanut butter-artichoke-pizza. Yet. He scowled at his niece, who was just standing there, innocent grin on her face, box of candy in her hands. Damnit.

“Damnit, alright. You can have one candy bar.”

“Two.”

“Wench-” Kagome touched his arm with her fingertips. She raised her a brow and smiled suggestively.

Two. I get one now. And….we get one later tonight.”

Inuyasha’s mouth fell open briefly before he took out his wallet and pulled a five dollar bill from the leather fold. He tossed the bill in the box and took out three Snickers, a Twix, and a Milkyway. With a mumbled goodbye to Rin, he grabbed a giggling Kagome by the waist and shut the door. Rin blushed slightly but smiled as she turned to leave, pocketing the five her uncle had given her. She was halfway down the porch step when she heard the door open again and Inuyasha poked his head out.

“Oi, Little Bit! Tell the bastard I’ll call him later about those files he needs for the Kito case.”

“Okay! See you later Uncle Inuyasha.”

“Bye Rin.”

Turned watched as he closed the door once more, and skipped down the rest of the steps. She filed her uncle’s message in her memory and ran the rest of the way to the end of the long driveway where Jaken was waiting with the car.

“How many did the half-breed buy?”

“That’s not a nice thing to call Uncle Inuyasha Jaken. But he and Aunt Kagome bought five candy bars.”

Jaken sniffed and closed the car door after she crawled inside.

“Should we make the block now?”

“Actually, can we go by Shippo’s house first?”

Jaken sighed and put the car into drive.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Rin looked at the box on her lap with wide yes. Shippo sat next to her in the back seat of the car as Jaken drove down the road.

“Shippo, I can’t believe your mom bought half my box! What’s she going to do with all that stuff?” Shippo didn’t answer right away. Instead he reached in and snatched a bag of M&M’s from the box. He winced slightly when Rin elbowed him in the shoulder, and dug in his pocket for a dollar.

“I’ll tell you what she’s gonna do, Rin. She’s gonna eat it. You just single handedly killed my mother’s diet.”

“She was on a diet?! Oh, I feel so awful now. Why didn’t you tell me?” Shippo shoved a handful of M&M’s into his mouth and started chewing, his cheek puffing out a bit as he did so.

“B’cuz sh’ wrz….” He swallowed the mouthful of M&M’s and grinned. “Because she was driving me and Pop crazy. She said that if she was going to start eating healthier, then we were going to start eating healthier. I tell ya Rin, there’s only so much soy bean bi-products a body can take.” He shuddered dramatically and crossed his eyes, causing the girl beside him to burst out laughing.

“Okay, so maybe I don’t feel too bad anymore.”

“Good. So, who’s house are we hitting next?”

Rin thought about if for a few seconds. Suddenly she smiled, and that mischievous glint came into her dark brown eyes. Shippo knew that look all too well, and was both excited and anxious. Rin looked at him, then looked at the box with a smirk.

“The Spinster.”

Shippo’s emerald eyes widened briefly in shock, then in awe, then in sheer amusement. He knew there was a reason he liked this ninjen so much. She was a gutsy little thing, that was for sure.

“Oh, this is gonna be interesting.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



“Rin, watch where you’re stepping.” Rin looked down and grimaced, just managing to avoid the pile of…something, in the middle of the walkway.

“Ew, thanks Shippo. Jeez, you’d think that with as much money as she has, she’d hire someone to clean up her yard.”

“Yeah, well rich people are weird.” They stopped in front of the massive oak doors of the largest house in their neighborhood, about a quarter larger than the one Rin and her adopted father lived in. Shippo couldn’t help the teasing smile that came to his lips. “ Your pop, for example, is the weirdest guy I know.”

“Lord Sesshoumaru is not weird.”

Shippo nodded skeptically. “Sure.”

“Shippo…”

“I& #8217;m only teasing you Rin. Kinda. Ring the doorbell.” Rin huffed and rolled her eyes.

“I’m the one holding the box. Why don’t you ring the doorbell?” .

Shippo had the sense to look a bit embarrassed, giving her a sheepish little smile. He reached over and pressed the ringer button, and they immediately heard the chiming from inside the house. Rin shifted from foot to foot while they waited, and Shippo’s tail twitched back and forth. And then the door opened.

Ms. Kikyo Tama, a.k.a. The Spinster, stood in the open doorway, black-brown eyes narrowed at the two children before her. Her fuzzy blue house coat was tied at the waist. Her long black hair looked as if it hadn’t been brushed in days. What had once been a beautiful face some thirty years ago, was now dull skinned and plain looking.

“What do you want?” Rin was taken aback at the accusing tone in the woman’s voice, but smiled weakly and nodded.

“Er…Ms. Tama, we-I was wondering if you’d like to buy some candy for my school’s charity fund raiser?”

“Now, why would I want to do something like that?” She crossed her arms, giving them that patronizing look most adults tended to throw about. Shippo only smirked and mimicked her stance.

“Because you got loads of money.” Rin’s eyes became wide as she stared at her friend.

“Shippo!” He just shrugged and shook his head.

“Come on Rin, there’s less than half a box left; you don’t need her money. Let’s hit some more houses.”

“But Shippo-” Kikyo let out a sharp growl and stomped her foot.

“Oh for God’s sake how much are the damn things?” Rin hesitated for a moment, blinking in surprise.

“A dollar each ma’am.” Kikyo told them to stand exactly where they were and disappeared inside the house. She came back a few minutes later with a small purse in her hands.

“I only have twenties. I only carry twenties.”

“Oh, I have plenty of change, ma’am.” Kikyo shook her head, obviously annoyed at the child.

“No. I only carry twenties.” Rin looked at her, confused.

“Er…um..”

“Just give me twenty candies. I’m sure I will find something to do with them.” Her voice just dripped with disdain.

Rin looked at Shippo, who was looking back at her equally dumbfounded. Rin took the twenty dollar bill and opened the box, revealing a couple bags of Skittles, some M&M’s, and the remainders of the chocolate bars. Rin didn’t really know what to do. She couldn’t just pick out twenty packs and hand them to her. She looked at Shippo again with a raised brow. Finally, Shippo looked in the box and counted off twenty candy bars, and took out the remaining bags of Skittles and M&M’s. Rin then handed the box itself to Kikyo, who took it grudgingly.

“Now that you’ve suckered me out of twenty dollars, I think it’s time you two left.”

Rin saw the mutinous look on Shippo’s face and quickly grabbed his arm, and started pulling him down the walkway.

“Thank you so much Ms. Tama. It really is for a good cause. Thank you!”

Kikyo was already inside the house at Rin’s nervous goodbye. She knew there was a reason why she’d never bothered to have children of her own. Damn kids.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“I can’t believe you did that, Shippo.” Rin tried to hide the smile on her lips. If Shippo noticed, he didn’t say anything.

“Hey, you got rid of the candy bars didn’t you?”

Rin rolled her eyes. “Shippo…” Shippo held up his hands in surrender.

“Alright, alright. I get it. Bad Shippo.” Rin smirked and patted him on the head.

“Good boy.”

“Funny. So, which house are we hittin’ next?” Rin sighed and looked out the car window.

“I was actually thinking of letting Lord Sesshoumaru take care of the rest. There’s only five dollars worth left, anyway.”

“You sure?” Rin nodded, smiling at him.

“Yes. Thanks for coming with me Shippo. I’d probably still be knocking on doors if it weren’t for you.”

“If it weren’t for my crazy mom, you mean.”

“No, really. You’re a good friend.” Shippo smiled slightly. Friend. He just had to keep reminding himself that there were only two years left until he and Rin were both in high school.

“Thanks Rin.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Rin yawned and kicked her shoes off at the door. After leaving The Spinster’s house, she’d had Jaken drop them off at Shippo’s house. She and Shippo hung out for a while, watching T.V. and hiding the remaining candy from his mom. They’d made plans to hang out over the weekend, and finally around eight o’clock Rin called Jaken to pick her up.

She carried the plastic bag that Shippo gave her for the left over candy into the living room and plopped down on her favorite over-stuffed chair. She heard Jaken messing around in the kitchen; apparently they were having a late dinner tonight. All in all, she’d had a pretty fun day selling candy. Things hadn’t gone exactly how she thought they would (She’d sold fifty dollars worth of candy to about five people), but the day wasn’t a total bust. Rin smiled. Seeing Shippo take on The Spinster was worth every moment.

“Rin. You’re home.” Rin turned her head and beamed at her father. He was standing a few feet away from her, with a strange quirk to his lips.

“Is there something you need Lord Sesshoumaru?” Sesshoumaru stood for a moment and then reached into his pocket, pulling out an empty red Skittles bag.

“Are there anymore?” Rin’s eyes widened, but she smiled happily and held up the plastic bag containing the remaining packs of Skittles.

“I told you they were good.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




A/N: Just a little something. I got this idea after seeing kids at my high school selling candy. I didn’t put a few characters (Miroku, Sango, Kouga, etc..) in here because I’m thinking of doing a sequel. I’m not sure. I probably will, but it’ll have a much higher rating than this one. Along the lines of 17+. Anyway, R&R ^.^